Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

So the only thing is: If they don't intend a military action, why were they rounding up teens for duty in the territories.

Also, why are they playing the Soviet anthem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Market is not looking great (this is from Financial Times market data);

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

So the only thing is: If they don't intend a military action, why were they rounding up teens for duty in the territories.

That seems to be Russian anthem to me. They only changed the lyrics when the USSR fell.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Because it's the same as the Russian anthem? As far as I can tell that's the lyrics from the chorus of the Russian one.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
There is a worrying lack of posters telling us that Putin is rational in wanting buffer states and it is the evil NATO US that is escalating the tensions. Has anyone checked that the CIA didn't get to them?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Randarkman posted:

Because it's the same as the Russian anthem? As far as I can tell that's the lyrics from the chorus of the Russian one.

Oh man I'm amazed I never noticed. Just something I never looked up.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Imagine being an official dragged into Putin's post-apocalyptic wasteland of an office, forced to mumble something about your opinions on the current crisis to let everybody know your knees are so bent your heels are digging into your skull, and then watching as the man who made you prostrate yourself before him goes on to poo poo his pants on air and completely throw away all credibility he, his country, and you ever had, or ever hoped to possess in the future.

Just incredible.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

They switched the anthem at first, then brought the Soviet one back with new lyrics.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

I probably just asked you this half an hour ago - but now that we know of Putin's ramblings do you think his war goal has shifted from the Donbass to Kiev or beyond?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Market is not looking great (this is from Financial Times market data);

Does anyone remember the name of the site with the relaxing music, calming imagery in the background and a ticker of current ruble exchange prices and Russian currency reserves?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am kinda regretting that I didn't learn Russian to watch the original. This was kinda amazing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

I probably just asked you this half an hour ago - but now that we know of Putin's ramblings do you think his war goal has shifted from the Donbass to Kiev or beyond?

I don't think that I could read it. At best, Putin just sends military units into Donbass. At worst its a distraction. That was not a speech that can be easily read intentions wise.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

It cannot be easily read syntax-wise as well

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Does anyone remember the name of the site with the relaxing music, calming imagery in the background and a ticker of current ruble exchange prices and Russian currency reserves?

https://zenrus.ru/

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Xarn posted:

There is a worrying lack of posters telling us that Putin is rational in wanting buffer states and it is the evil NATO US that is escalating the tensions. Has anyone checked that the CIA didn't get to them?

Everyone's reeling their best friend Putin is anti-communist.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Conspiratiorist posted:

Everyone's reeling their best friend Putin is anti-communist.

Imagine learning from the Savior of the world from imperialism himself that the hated Ukrainian Nazi was actually birthed from the very loins of Vladimir Lenin.

It takes some time to reckon with this knowledge.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Xarn posted:

They are in the gulag known as CSPAM

Also I'm mad we had that argument over the letter then putin the next day says he will just do whats in that letter.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Imagine learning from the Savior of the world from imperialism himself that the hated Ukrainian Nazi was actually birthed from the very loins of Vladimir Lenin.

It takes some time to reckon with this knowledge.

That's why you stick to classics and blame Austr-Hungarian General Staff. No one likes them.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i think it's fairly safe to assume the summit with macron and biden is off the table because i have no idea how you negotiate with the man that everyone just saw on screen

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

NPC giving a big rousing speech to 5 people in skyrim vibes

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

QuoProQuid posted:

i think it's fairly safe to assume the summit with macron and biden is off the table because i have no idea how you negotiate with the man that everyone just saw on screen

I think that's a safe bet. Nobody is going to negotiate in good faith with that mess.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I don't think that I could read it. At best, Putin just sends military units into Donbass. At worst its a distraction. That was not a speech that can be easily read intentions wise.

After mulling it over for a bit, unless he has completely lost the plot, I'd venture that the most sensible target audience for that speech was Putin himself. That's essentially what a man trying hard to convince himself he's doing the right thing, despite all evidence to the contrary, exactly sounds like.

In either case: "No one has any clue what happens next" is indeed probably a safe bet at the moment.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 21, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Aramis posted:

After mulling it over for a bit, unless he has completely lost the plot, I'd venture that the most sensible target audience for that speech was Putin himself. That's essentially exactly what a man trying hard to convince himself he's doing the right thing, despite all evidence to the contrary, sounds like.

In wither case: "No one has any clue what happens next" is indeed probably a safe bet at the moment.

Maybe its a bluff to get concessions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Aramis posted:

After mulling it over for a bit, unless he has completely lost the plot, I'd venture that the most sensible target audience for that speech was Putin himself. That's essentially what a man trying hard to convince himself he's doing the right thing, despite all evidence to the contrary, exactly sounds like.

In wither case: "No one has any clue what happens next" is indeed probably a safe bet at the moment.

Agreed, but its more concerning because it shuts a lot of doors that the West had left open for Russia to defuse this. Like, slammed shut.

Conspiratiorist posted:

There were so many other ways to bluff that to basically shut the door on a possible peaceful resolution to the Donbass occupation. Its probably the worst bluff because nobody is going to enter negotiations with a guy who not only shot the geopolitical hostage, but is also saying all the others are already dead and invalid.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

I don't think he sounded more insane than usual

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/1495848959335706630

Poor poor Eddie

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

NATO could officialy admit that Lenin was a Nazi.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Where can I watch the speech with subtitles

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ukraine v Russia: Putin admits Lenin was a Nazi

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Where can I watch this period?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1495849573994188804?s=20&t=0G3vetpwOdHFq_1mQOrh7A

Everyone bring notes on the Putin speech

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

tyvm

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

If anyone in Europe with even half a braincell left didn't think that we have a Putin problem on our hands, they certainly do now. Diversification away from Russian gas probably starts tomorrow morning 6 am

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Can the world please put retirement ages on all their government officials

You're going to get us all killed

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

GABA ghoul posted:

If anyone in Europe with even half a braincell left didn't think that we have a Putin problem on our hands, they certainly do now. Diversification away from Russian gas probably starts tomorrow morning 6 am
We know why Scholtz is dismayed now

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/1492255333938601993

oops

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/michaelh992/status/1495856986478583812?s=20&t=Ru3ztTGZ4TCCsVcFqttKsA

Only report on this I've seen.

My eyesight is damaged after seeing just how unprepared the EU seemed to be for this. I suppose if you buy into rational actor theory then this is all part of some big game and not a man losing his mind.

Oh and Mission Accomplished:
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1495858031220961292?s=20&t=U_PY2V30teFvBEn2QBhD2g

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Count Roland posted:

Where can I watch this period?
Original speech in russian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKduM9gnZAk
Sputnik stream with live english translation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJl6u13LqeQ&t=1367s
Same in text by someone who livetweeted it, no quarantees in accuracy: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1495833306784575488.html

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Those notes were delivered to world leaders along with a bottle of hard liquor and instructions to drink about half the bottle before trying to process that speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Was any of the message of this speech substantially different from that weird term paper that he put out sometime last year to explain why Ukraine was like, totally not a country?