Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

For the single/live alone/cook for one people - how often do you use a proper Dutch oven? I currently have a decent anodized aluminum one that's great for going in the oven for a braise, but functionally useless for any kind of one pot meal where I want to sear/deglaze/stew/braise all in one pan. I'm trying to justify the expense for a proper one and having trouble with it (I'd probably go for the Made In as a compromise between Lodge and Staub.)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I want to make a fuckload of tomato-based pasta sauce tomorrow, but for complicated reasons not worth getting into all I have here is a stainless (or aluminum?) stockpot. Is it going to burn and stick to the bottom? It will, won't it

For future reference, as someone who has scorched a large batch of red sauce, one thing you can do is cook it in the oven rather than the stovetop once you get it to a simmer. I've found that, as much as anything, what makes scorching more likely is a temperature differential and a single source of heat. Kenji seems to agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Wow, thank you for that link. Besides using the oven, his other technique suggestions are really interesting. I never would have thought to add fish sauce. I'll be doing some experimenting based on this.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fish sauce in tomato sauce is a must for me. I think anchovies are probably a slightly more traditional addition, but Vietnamese fish sauce works great. I also just got some Spanish garum that does the trick nicely as well.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Fish sauce in tomato sauce is a must for me. I think anchovies are probably a slightly more traditional addition, but Vietnamese fish sauce works great. I also just got some Spanish garum that does the trick nicely as well.

I use fish sauce when it's been a few hours and I realize I forgot the anchovies.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Shooting Blanks posted:

For the single/live alone/cook for one people - how often do you use a proper Dutch oven? I currently have a decent anodized aluminum one that's great for going in the oven for a braise, but functionally useless for any kind of one pot meal where I want to sear/deglaze/stew/braise all in one pan. I'm trying to justify the expense for a proper one and having trouble with it (I'd probably go for the Made In as a compromise between Lodge and Staub.)
I use mine often during the fall/winter. But although I live alone, I still definitely cook full-size recipes -- I like leftovers fine, plus if I'm spending that much time and effort, I want it to cover more than one meal. If you really want to cook smaller amounts, you could always get a smaller one, which would also be cheaper.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

For future reference, as someone who has scorched a large batch of red sauce, one thing you can do is cook it in the oven rather than the stovetop once you get it to a simmer. I've found that, as much as anything, what makes scorching more likely is a temperature differential and a single source of heat. Kenji seems to agree.

I cook for 1-2 people usually and I like having the actual dutch oven (full size), it's still just as good considering you're probably making full size (serves 4) type of meals and just putting the rest away as leftovers. I'd go for it. Does your aluminum one not go on the stovetop?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Keeping the oven turned on for six hours seems like a spectacular waste of energy. Not sure it’s worth the marginally better pasta sauce.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Vegetable posted:

Keeping the oven turned on for six hours seems like a spectacular waste of energy. Not sure it’s worth the marginally better pasta sauce.

It depends on your heat source and how much that source costs you in your particular location. My oven is electric and electricity here is dirt cheap and hydro sourced so it works for me.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Tell that to the entirety of Italy (sunday sauce) and Mexico (mole) and the southern US (bbq) and France (beef bourguignon) and....

poo poo just takes a long time to cook sometimes.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Shooting Blanks posted:

For the single/live alone/cook for one people - how often do you use a proper Dutch oven?

All the time. Truly one of the most versatile kitchen tools you can have. If you take good care of the enamel (avoid thermal shock, hand wash, use wooden spoons, etc) it should last a lifetime. Get the biggest one you think you’ll ever use. Personally, I’d recommend at least a 5-6qt; the extra space won’t hurt what you’re cooking, but you’ll be frustrated when you wish you could use just a little bit more.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Admittedly i might be biased as I own three Dutch ovens of varying sizes and styles (4 if you count a 6qt rondeau I guess), but I use them all the time even cooking for one. Like Anne Whateley said, I usually cook for leftovers though. On top of braises, soups & stews I use the two bigger ones together for bread sometimes, and I use the smaller one a lot alongside one of the others for stuff like beans, greens or other slow cooked sides. I’ll also use it for stuff like Mac & cheese if I want to chuck it under the broiler to finish.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Brother Tadger posted:

All the time. Truly one of the most versatile kitchen tools you can have. If you take good care of the enamel (avoid thermal shock, hand wash, use wooden spoons, etc) it should last a lifetime. Get the biggest one you think you’ll ever use. Personally, I’d recommend at least a 5-6qt; the extra space won’t hurt what you’re cooking, but you’ll be frustrated when you wish you could use just a little bit more.

I've got a 6quart I use for company once a month or if I'm batch cooking some big stuff, but I have a 4 quart that lives on my stove and gets used almost every day cooking for 2.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

I've got a 6quart I use for company once a month or if I'm batch cooking some big stuff, but I have a 4 quart that lives on my stove and gets used almost every day cooking for 2.

Same, but if you’re only going to get one, buy the bigger one

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Brother Tadger posted:

Same, but if you’re only going to get one, buy the bigger one

Oh yeah i got the 6 quart first and only got the 4 quart after I got sick of the 6 quart taking up half the stove top when it was filled up a quarter 90% of the time and because I had the luxury of being able to get another one. If you can only get one I wouldn't recommend getting anything below a 6 quart.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have a cast iron Lodge Dutch oven. What does having an enamel finished one give you that a cast iron doesn't?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I have a cast iron Lodge Dutch oven. What does having an enamel finished one give you that a cast iron doesn't?

My understanding is that you aren’t really supposed to cook acidic foods (eg. tomatoes) in non-enameled cast iron because it causes the iron to leach into your food (which isn’t necessarily the end of the world healthwise, but can significantly shorten the life of the cookware).

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/what-not-to-cook-in-a-cast-iron-skillet-article

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Don’t you need to season a cast iron? It’s a royal pain.

Also I find it easier to scrape the food bits off my Le Creuset dutch oven because the base is white-ish. By contrast I often have no idea where to scrape for my cast iron pan.

Also my understanding is you generally wouldn’t store acidic foods in a cast iron for extended periods and that makes them not useful for the long-simmer tomato sauces these dutch ovens are good for.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Vegetable posted:

Don’t you need to season a cast iron? It’s a royal pain.

Oh god, now you’ve done it. We’re going to get at least a page of “actually it’s easy! Here’s the method I use that was passed down to me by my…”

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah, enameled cookware is much much easier to maintain and is less prone to sticking or reacting to with stuff. I love my cast iron but I don't know if I'd want a cast iron pot.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Oh god, now you’ve done it. We’re going to get at least a page of “actually it’s easy! Here’s the method I use that was passed down to me by my…”

Just cook!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

You can put it in the dishwasher.

Edit: if this doesn’t sell you the your a glutton for punishment. Sure, I’m in the maintaining cast iron isn’t all that hard crew but a 7qt Dutch oven is a big, heavy awkward brute to be scrubbing.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Murgos posted:

You can put it in the dishwasher.

Edit: if this doesn’t sell you the your a glutton for punishment. Sure, I’m in the maintaining cast iron isn’t all that hard crew but a 7qt Dutch oven is a big, heavy awkward brute to be scrubbing.

I thought all of the major manufacturers explicitly say to not put it in the oven?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

I thought all of the major manufacturers explicitly say to not put it in the oven?

Lol what. Enameled Dutch ovens are just as oven safe as non.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shooting Blanks posted:

Do you mean “in the dishwasher” here?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Enameled cast iron is definitely designed for the oven. When Le Creuset was using the plastic knobs, the lid couldn't go over iirc 400°Ish, which worked fine for the braises it's always been used for. It only became an issue when Bittman's no-knead bread called for it to go to 450. Now they have metal knobs (also sold separately) that can do whatever.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Subjunctive posted:

Do you mean “in the dishwasher” here?

Yes, I did. That's what I get for posting while on the phone.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Lathespin.gif posted:

5.5qt Tramontina dutch oven from the usual scumbags, 42 bucks instead of ~80, as long as you like red

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HBJMK2

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Yes, I did. That's what I get for posting while on the phone.

“ Enameled cast iron does not need to be seasoned before using, will not rust, can be washed with soap and is dishwasher-safe.”

https://www.lecreuset.com/blogpost?cid=how-to-clean-your-dutch-oven

I’ll hand wash if it’s an easy clean up but otherwise right into the dishwasher. It’s been 10 years and it’s in perfect condition.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

therobit posted:

There is usually a cutoff in the building code. Locally for me it’s 600CFM. But if you are going through any attic space it should be fine because you can pull the makeup air from there.

imagine whining in 2022 about having to build a positive pressure air system / negative extraction

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

For the single/live alone/cook for one people - how often do you use a proper Dutch oven? I currently have a decent anodized aluminum one that's great for going in the oven for a braise, but functionally useless for any kind of one pot meal where I want to sear/deglaze/stew/braise all in one pan. I'm trying to justify the expense for a proper one and having trouble with it (I'd probably go for the Made In as a compromise between Lodge and Staub.

I make a batch of yogurt in mine once a week. Then various braises or sauces a couple of times a month.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think you can really cook a single portion of most stuff that you would do in a dutch oven anyway, so the question is more how much you want to cook that kind of stuff.

If you want to cook that kind of stuff, rather than trying to reduce the quantity, consider getting a vacuum sealer.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Paul MaudDib posted:

imagine whining in 2022 about having to build a positive pressure air system / negative extraction

I’m not whining, it’s just a logistical consideration

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Any recommendations for a grill pan for the stovetop? Preferably not cast iron, but I'd settle for cast iron if it makes that big of a difference. Price point is less than $100.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

They kinda suck. What do you want to do with it?

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Verisimilidude posted:

Any recommendations for a grill pan for the stovetop? Preferably not cast iron, but I'd settle for cast iron if it makes that big of a difference. Price point is less than $100.

I have one of these that I like a lot but I never use the grill side: https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Grid-Griddle-Reversible-Easy-Grip/dp/B00008GKDQ/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B00008GKDQ&psc=1

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

This looks like it'll work! Do you season both sides? If so would that mean you need reseason a side if it's coming in direct contact with the flame?

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Verisimilidude posted:

This looks like it'll work! Do you season both sides? If so would that mean you need reseason a side if it's coming in direct contact with the flame?

I rarely use the grill side so that is always in contact with the flame. It's still in pretty good shape and if I wanted to use it, I could probably do a quick oil/re-season and it would be good to go.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

What’s the purpose of a grill pan? Is it a low fat dietary thing or do people just like the look of grate lines?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

tonedef131 posted:

people just like the look of grate lines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Grill pans are a pain in the dick to clean. Everything that drips off just carbonizes between the grill lines and you have to figure out how to scrape it all out. They also do not add flavor like actual grilling over charcoal will do, nor do they give you the crust and accompanying texture and flavor that searing a protein on a griddle will get you.

The lines look nice though.