Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

LG is going to release a 42" C2, and it's coming within a couple months. It's 120hz instead of 144hz, but the near-instant response times of OLED will probably make that TV clearer in motion and give it less input lag than a 144hz LCD.

Any indications on price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PirateBob posted:

Any indications on price?

Apparently a British site listed the 42" and 48" models at the same price (£1,399.99), but it's not clear if that's official pricing or if it will be the same in the US. So... that's potentially disappointing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CoolCab posted:

it's not super common in tvs as i understand it, which is what consoles tend to target. could be mistaken?

Samsung has had VRR on their nicer models since 2018, LG since 2019, and basically everyone else since 2020.

Sony has yet to ship a TV with VRR support out of the box. They have been claiming VRR is coming to their 8 and 9 series models for a few years via firmware update but so far the X900H is the only one where the update has been released and even there it's buggy.

It's all but guaranteed that the PS5's VRR support is being artificially held back because Sony's TV division has totally hosed this up.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's less clear why Sony refuses to support 1440p though, people have been asking for it since the PS4 Pro in 2016 but they just won't

There's no need for games to render at 1440p natively, just do the usual 4K profile and downscale on output :argh:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Doing 1440p natively is trivial unless they think it’s gonna crutch developers into making 1440p the target resolution because it’s easier than 4k

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Doing it natively is really far from trivial, which is why even on the Xbox I think there's like one game that supports it. Console games have a ton of stuff done to target a specific framerate at a specific resolution. Adding another target means you have to figure all that stuff out all over again. And say it's one of those games with performance, quality, and RT modes, now you're adding far more complications. Just downscaling from 4k is a much easier option. Even then, the console manufacturers are asking themselves "Just why?" because like 1% of their user base wants to play on a monitor and 1% of the people that play on a monitor have a nice 1440p gaming monitor.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Aside from gaming monitors, there's some 4K TVs that can do 120hz but only at 1440p since they pre-date HDMI 2.1

Since the PS5 won't do 1440p, you have to drop all the way to 1080p to enable 120hz on those TVs

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, game rendering happens completely independently of system output resolution on PS5. It's not like that system setting tells games to render at that resolution. Games will do their own thing, and then the system comes in at the very end and scales the image to your output res. So if sony were to add a 1440p mode and you played a game at its high-res setting, the game would do its typical dynamic resolution scaling thing of rendering at anywhere between 1440p to 4K usually and scaling any sub-4K frames to 4K first, and then the console would scale that back down to 1440p. It's not super intuitive how resolution scaling and poo poo works on consoles if you're used to PC gaming where you can tell a game to just run at any arbitrary resolution.

Having a 1440p mode would still be nice though just so you don't have to worry about whether a 1440p monitor can accept and downscale a 4K signal though. The console would just do that for you.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Having a 1440p mode would still be nice though just so you don't have to worry about whether a 1440p monitor can accept and downscale a 4K signal though

1440p monitors accepting 4K is complicated even more by the fact that some monitors accept 4K but don't advertise 4K in their EDID, which means the PS5 won't let you enable 4K output

You can work around it with an EDID emulator but it's another thing that Sony could fix on their end but won't because reasons

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for an accessory which I'm not sure exists.

I got a portable 15.6 OLED monitor; I'm going to run a cable to my desktop so I can use the monitor on the couch with a mouse and keyboard.

What I want is some kind of weighted, hinged lap pad. Like a bare laptop clamshell, so I can stick my portable monitor and a wireless keyboard to it.

I guess in a pinch I could take a broken laptop, and just toss some iron into the husk then velcro the laptop and monitor to it, but is there anything more purpose-built for this?

There's also some screen/keyboard combos for docking a phone to, but that seems pointless to pay for a screen when I'm just going to cover it up with a better screen.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

I'm looking for an accessory which I'm not sure exists.

I got a portable 15.6 OLED monitor; I'm going to run a cable to my desktop so I can use the monitor on the couch with a mouse and keyboard.

What I want is some kind of weighted, hinged lap pad. Like a bare laptop clamshell, so I can stick my portable monitor and a wireless keyboard to it.

I guess in a pinch I could take a broken laptop, and just toss some iron into the husk then velcro the laptop and monitor to it, but is there anything more purpose-built for this?

There's also some screen/keyboard combos for docking a phone to, but that seems pointless to pay for a screen when I'm just going to cover it up with a better screen.

Aren't you basically just looking for a lap desk for a tablet and keyboard?

It's a little awkward to search on, but it does appear things exist in that space.

https://www.amazon.com/LapGear-Medi...ts%2C159&sr=1-4

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Is anyone using a loving 48" panel for gaming? I am sort of interested in OLED, very interested in going to something bigger than I have now, and interested in 4k.

Right now I have a 27" in landscape and a 27" next to it in portrait. If I draw a square that is bounded by the left and right sides of each monitor, and then the top and bottom of the portrait-oriented one, that is more or less a 48" screen.

Google tells me if I have a 48" computer display I want to be a minimum of 2.5' from it, which is about how I have stuff set up and I can easily get myself another foot.

The only display that really currently meets these criteria is the AORUS FO48U 48" which is a grand, which isn't bad, though also only 120hz.

I think what I'd really like is a 37--43" 4k OLED at 144hz or higher, but no one is making them now.

I am going to cut a piece of cardboard to be a 16:9 48" square and see how that looks on my desk, but, curious if people have thoughts or other suggestions. I do not think I want an ultrawide and I am meh on curved displays but I would look at them.

Depending on what your goals are and what problems you are trying to solve, anything much larger than 32" is probably a wash for gaming if you are at a normal desk distance from the display. If you have to tilt your head to see different parts of your screen, your primary use case is no longer 'gaming', but...something else. And that's fine, but I think it helps to actually ID the use case you are trying to solve for.

The funniest thing I could imagine is watching someone on a Linus-like setup trying to play a game where there is relevant interface on the sides and corners of the screen. You would just be totally blind to half your output at any given time as you swivel your head around.

Anecdotally, I had a career for a few years where I got to test drive a ton of really goofy monitors, including really big 16:9s and the Samsung 32:9s etc. The use case for them as a practical solution for a real problem is exceedingly narrow. For example, I thought the 32:9 would be cool as a seamless 'dual display', but in reality, having two split logical displays at 16:9 is a superior option 99% of the time; 32:9 just made window management more of a pain then it needed to be. Another demo I had was using a large 16:9 as a 'quad' display kind of a setup, but it too was more obnoxious then it was worth to deal with window management vs 4 27"s.

To wrap this all into gaming, I tried playing a few games on these displays, and the whole problem of, 'not seeing the entire display' was super damning. Real time games with relevant information in anything but the center were a total wash. Trying to play a game like Tekken 7 was a joke since you could actually see both characters unless you were at close range. I got modest utility out of it playing WoW on a 32:9 with the ability to stash addons that weren't combat-critical in the sides, but it wasn't worth the problems it created.

Anyway, big screens are generally bad for anything but watching media at a distance. No professional creator I know uses them for good reasons. No srs bsns gamer uses them for good reasons. They are a cute novelty, but besides the fact that their panels are 'meh' at best, the consequence of not being able to easily see your entire screen without swiveling your head is massive problem in practice. Everyone I know with one will eventually get to, 'I got it because it's big'.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Aren't you basically just looking for a lap desk for a tablet and keyboard?

It's a little awkward to search on, but it does appear things exist in that space.

https://www.amazon.com/LapGear-Medi...ts%2C159&sr=1-4

I guess Lap Desk is the right term yeah, but I want to have the monitor held up by an actual hinge so I can adjust the angle and don't have to worry about the monitor falling out by accident. Seems like I should just get a flat wooden lap desk and DIY screw a hinge mechanism on.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

repiv posted:

It's less clear why Sony refuses to support 1440p though, people have been asking for it since the PS4 Pro in 2016 but they just won't

There's no need for games to render at 1440p natively, just do the usual 4K profile and downscale on output :argh:
because people play playstation on TV, and TV is either 1080p or 4k, OP

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
What are the thoughts on 32” 1440p monitors and what is the optimal viewing distance ? I’m currently using a 27” nixeus and an old 24” Dell and I sit about three feet away. Just wondering if it’s worth upgrading the old 24” to a 32”

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

South posted:

What are the thoughts on 32” 1440p monitors and what is the optimal viewing distance ? I’m currently using a 27” nixeus and an old 24” Dell and I sit about three feet away. Just wondering if it’s worth upgrading the old 24” to a 32”

If you have a monitor arm or a deep desk to push it back a little bit then 32" 1440p is great. Personally I love using it to game from my recliner

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I went ahead and measured, and I like using mine at ~2.5 feet away (from screen to eyes) when using mouse/keyboard, so 3 feet should be just fine

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

repiv posted:

You can work around it with an EDID emulator but it's another thing that Sony could fix on their end but won't because reasons
Eh, a "override what the device is telling us" feature seems pretty solidly in the realm of PC tinkerers and goes against the spirit of consoles being plug-and-play gaming machines for people who don't want to gently caress with things.

To me this is just like the DisplayPort power off thing, the monitor is explicitly telling the console it doesn't support that mode, so the monitor manufacturer should take the blame if you don't like that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I disagree. I think they're making the smarter decision. The number of people that would be negatively affected by running 4k on a PC is much higher than those who are negatively impacted in this weird edge case.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

South posted:

32" 1440p is awful PPI , don't waste your money, just hold off until you can afford a 4k monitor at that size.

PPI:
1080p
24" = 91 ppi
27" = 82 ppi
32" = 69 ppi (nice)

1440p
24" = 122 ppi
27" = 109 ppi
32" = 92 ppi

24" = 184 ppi
27" = 163 ppi
32" = 138 ppi (nice)

So you can see a 32" 1440p is no better looking than a 1080p 24" panel which was the thing about 15 years ago. A bigger screen might seem nicer in and of itself but I can tell you I just put my 32" 4k monitor into 1440p and it looks like dogshit. Two 27" 1440p is probably perfect for you, or if you're playing from a couch or something maybe a TV would actually be better for you.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

By this logic, 65" 4K TVs should look eye-bleedingly bad, but I know some TV owners who would beg to differ. PPI is not a figure meant to be taken on its own as an absolute measure of quality. A better way would be measuring pixels per degree of vision based on your possible seating arrangements. But that also doesn't account for other factors, such as the quality of your eyesight.

Anyway, there are plenty of people who buy and enjoy 32" 1440p monitors, so it's not nearly as objective as you make it sound here. I would say if your eyes are typically 3+ feet away and your 27" monitor feels a bit small, then I don't think upgrading to 32" 1440p would feel tremendously more pixelated or anything unless you have particularly good vision.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 20, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

By this logic, 65" 4K TVs should look eye-bleedingly bad, but I know some TV owners who would beg to differ. PPI is not a figure meant to be taken on its own as an absolute measure of quality. A better way would be measuring pixels per degree of vision based on your possible seating arrangements. But that also doesn't account for other factors, such as the quality of your eyesight.

Anyway, there are plenty of people who buy and enjoy 32" 1440p monitors, so it's definitely not nearly as subjective as you make it sound here.

Yeah, viewing distance is a big factor. At my usual viewing distance 27" 1440p and 24" 1080p are pretty much the sweet spot. If I had to have my monitor a foot or two farther away from me then I think 32" 1440p would be good.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Get a 27, put it on an arm, and move it closer problem solved

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Cygni posted:

Get a 27, put it on an arm, and move it closer problem solved

Get 1440p ultrawide, ez peasy

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Any reccomendations for the go to 27" 4k non gaming monitor these days? I have an LG 27UD58-B that I like but it seems that's been discontinued. I assume there's something newer at an ok price point? TIA

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Any reccomendations for the go to 27" 4k non gaming monitor these days? I have an LG 27UD58-B that I like but it seems that's been discontinued. I assume there's something newer at an ok price point? TIA

The Gigabyte M28U is the most economical option if you're willing to go up one more inch. The highest-quality display in this category may be the Eve Spectrum ES07D03, but it's backordered for months and they keep delaying shipments. We may be getting some pretty good options later this year, though, including some new releases with full-array local dimming from LG.

edit: Oops, non-gaming. Totally missed that. Disregard me, then :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 21, 2022

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

He said NON gaming. In which case I'd say something like this LG since it's going to have very similar aesthetics and OSD to the one you already have, and it's pretty cheap. There are absolute boatloads of options though, and if you want different features or whatever there are many, many options to consider.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, viewing distance is a big factor. At my usual viewing distance 27" 1440p and 24" 1080p are pretty much the sweet spot. If I had to have my monitor a foot or two farther away from me then I think 32" 1440p would be good.

Yeah I have a 29' 1080p ultrawide that's about the ppi equivalent of a 23' 16:9 monitor and I really have no complaints at around the 2.5-3 feet range. I've been considering going up to a 1440p ultrawide for Elden Ring and in reviewing online discussions I've seen a lot of people poorly conflate their experiences when trying to sell higher resolutions that they've adopted. Like guy I'm sure your new monitor looks great but it might be more that you're going from a 27' TN 1080p panel to IPS 1440p/4k and 60hz to 144 than the actual new resolution lol. Probably just wait until that one gigabyte ultra comes back in stock or they all normalize around the 5-600$ CDN price point

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 21, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What options are out there for streaming a computer's desktop to various other displays on site but too far to run cable to?

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009

South posted:

I'm using a 32" 1440p from less than 3 feet and it's great. The resolution is entirely sufficient and the big screen is just super nice. I couldn't go back to 27" even if it was 4k.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

codo27 posted:

What options are out there for streaming a computer's desktop to various other displays on site but too far to run cable to?

Remote desktop stuff or maybe streaming depending on what exactly your goals are.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

codo27 posted:

Chromecast, Miracast, and the Windows display Project function to other Windows machines could also work. Although I'm not sure how well any of those perform if you are projecting to multiple receivers.

Various videoconferencing apps have a "share my desktop" function, too - I know Zoom does this okay.

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
Thanks for the replies everyone. What is the current thread favorite for a 32" 1440p 144hz+ monitor? Should I go IPS or VA? I mostly play shooters like Tarkov and Deep Rock Galactic.

I almost bought this, until I noticed it was used.
https://www.amazon.com/LG-32GN650-B-Ultragear-Reduction-FreeSync/dp/B08LLF9NS1/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=32GN650-B&qid=1645485438&s=pc&sr=1-2

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

South posted:

Thanks for the replies everyone. What is the current thread favorite for a 32" 1440p 144hz+ monitor? Should I go IPS or VA? I mostly play shooters like Tarkov and Deep Rock Galactic.

I almost bought this, until I noticed it was used.
https://www.amazon.com/LG-32GN650-B-Ultragear-Reduction-FreeSync/dp/B08LLF9NS1/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=32GN650-B&qid=1645485438&s=pc&sr=1-2

LG 32GP850 (which I can personally vouch for and it owns) or the Gigabyte M32Q.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Chromecast, Miracast, and the Windows display Project function to other Windows machines could also work. Although I'm not sure how well any of those perform if you are projecting to multiple receivers.

These are all fairly short ranged though. What I want is something that is only going to send video like any other output device, rather than having to install some sort of computer on each display in order to be able to receive the input.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

codo27 posted:

These are all fairly short ranged though. What I want is something that is only going to send video like any other output device, rather than having to install some sort of computer on each display in order to be able to receive the input.

Chromecast is just wifi isn't it? What kind of distances are we talking here, really? Can you not run any cable at all? If it's beyond the range of fiber-optic HDMI (~50 meters I believe) your only real option is streaming over the network and that means some kind of casting device if you don't want a full computer.

functional
Feb 12, 2008

KVM and 4K 144Hz:

The Gigabyte line of monitors have KVM with built in USB-C. Not a second DisplayPort. This means if you get a 4k 144Hz monitor like the M32U or the M28U (back on the market, with its own issues) your second setup is not going to push 4k@144Hz because of the limitations of the cable. Reportedly it can downsample to achieve the rate, which apparently still looks pretty good if you're not looking at a test image.

You might try to sidestep this by getting your own KVM. The likely reason Gigabyte doesn't include a second DP is because the technology is barely there. The best I have found is this backordered switch for $458 which supports two DisplayPort outs capable of achieving 4K@120Hz.

Given the costs involved I would suggest staying at 1440p@144hz.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I guess CC would be wifi, woudln't it. I'll have to give that a try

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

functional posted:

KVM and 4K 144Hz:

The Gigabyte line of monitors have KVM with built in USB-C. Not a second DisplayPort. This means if you get a 4k 144Hz monitor like the M32U or the M28U (back on the market, with its own issues) your second setup is not going to push 4k@144Hz because of the limitations of the cable. Reportedly it can downsample to achieve the rate, which apparently still looks pretty good if you're not looking at a test image.

You might try to sidestep this by getting your own KVM. The likely reason Gigabyte doesn't include a second DP is because the technology is barely there. The best I have found is this backordered switch for $458 which supports two DisplayPort outs capable of achieving 4K@120Hz.

Given the costs involved I would suggest staying at 1440p@144hz.

I'm not sure who you're addressing with this, but even at 1440p KVM's that actually support variable refresh rate are rare and expensive. But why even get a KVM in the first place when a 4-port USB switch is like $50 and software that can toggle display inputs based on USB device connect/disconnect events is free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

functional
Feb 12, 2008

TheFluff posted:

even at 1440p KVM's that actually support variable refresh rate are rare and expensive.

Assuming you stay in the Gigabyte line, and assuming their internal KVM works correctly (debated: there are always myriad issues to consider with anything that operates like a USB hub, sleeping devices, monitor firmware updates, etc.), then you get a "fully functioning" KVM by dropping down to 1440p.

I don't know whether it supports VRR.

TheFluff posted:

But why even get a KVM in the first place when a 4-port USB switch is like $50 and software that can toggle display inputs based on USB device connect/disconnect events is free?

Buying a cheaper USB-only switch and switching monitor inputs manually may be a more effective alternative.

Automatic may work as well, but I haven't seen it. I'm skeptical of the specific link you provided, without being too negative about it. They still don't have support for M1, so is it going to break between macOS updates? This is hardly a mature project so it's going to be a weak link in your setup.