Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

NJ Deac posted:

Yeah, the flickering bulb is an LED, and a different brand than the other LEDs on the same circuit. I'm assuming it's less tolerant of deviations from spec or voltage droop or whatever is happening than the other ones.

Switch the kitchen lamp with one from a bathroom or a storage room so, even if it goes all love parade there, the rest of the house will notice less, just to manage until the electrician solves the issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

NJ Deac posted:

The plan to trickle charge the e-tron at home for a few weeks has hit a snag. Apparently plugging in the car in the garage amplifies some kind of latent electrical fault that previously rarely caused the kitchen lights to barely flicker every once in a while. With the car plugged up in the garage, one of the kitchen lights strobes like we're at a rave.

Guess that means trying to find an electrician to come out sooner rather than later so I don't burn my house down charging the car at 2 miles an hour.
If you are getting that much voltage drop that it is causing an LED to flicker, I'd have the electrician inspect the whole circuit, there may be a more serious problem with it and it could be a fire hazard.

Also basically even trickle charging an EV should be done on its own dedicated circuit. A 60+ kWh EV will draw the maximum allowable continuous load on pretty much any residential circuit it is connected to for hours or days at a time and there isn't room for anything else, even your LED kitchen lights. This is not immediately obvious to the average person who has never done electrical work, but really should be on a tag or label permanently affixed to any portable electric vehicle charging adapter.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Indiana_Krom posted:

If you are getting that much voltage drop that it is causing an LED to flicker, I'd have the electrician inspect the whole circuit, there may be a more serious problem with it and it could be a fire hazard.

Also basically even trickle charging an EV should be done on its own dedicated circuit. A 60+ kWh EV will draw the maximum allowable continuous load on pretty much any residential circuit it is connected to for hours or days at a time and there isn't room for anything else, even your LED kitchen lights. This is not immediately obvious to the average person who has never done electrical work, but really should be on a tag or label permanently affixed to any portable electric vehicle charging adapter.

That's my worry - the lights aren't on the same circuit/breaker on the panel, but they ARE on a shared sub-panel, suggesting the issues are bigger than just the one circuit. For now I'm disconnecting the EV charger and calling a professional tomorrow to sort it out.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The nav computer just rerouted us to the Albuquerque supercharger. drat it!

6 stalls total for the intersection of I-25 and I-40. It says there are four stalls free right now. I'm guessing by the time we get there, we're #3 in the waiting line.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
What’s the EV equivalent of “running on fumes”?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

President Beep posted:

What’s the EV equivalent of “running on fumes”?

That's when your phone starts providing power to the car over USB C.

Albuquerque says 4 stalls free. But there are 3 stalls free. The one we picked oscillated between 0kW and 30kW, so we picked another one where a dude helpfully mansplained to us how the V1 chargers shared circuit worked.

5 minutes at 88kW and the car said we could leave. GDI.

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 20, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sounds like you got some UK Lemons.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

cruft posted:

The nav computer just rerouted us to the Albuquerque supercharger. drat it!

6 stalls total for the intersection of I-25 and I-40. It says there are four stalls free right now. I'm guessing by the time we get there, we're #3 in the waiting line.

They’re adding 16 stalls a couple exits east on I-40, under construction now.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Had my first super charging experience at the lone EA station between here and the closest White Castle in Columbia MO.

15% to 81% in 23 minutes. Charger said it peaked at 203kw, but I only saw 160 when I was in the car.

Little nerve wracking that it's the only fast charger on that stretch of road, but I probably should have not started at 65. Mileage estimate was pretty off, but I was lead footing it.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Autogefühl first drive review of ID.Buzz.
drat it, so much to like about. How lovely will the interior be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DrtQadVtik

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bad_fmr posted:

Very.

I'm only getting 720p video for some reason but seems like they're still going with the two window switches

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Very.

I'm only getting 720p video for some reason but seems like they're still going with the two window switches

To be fair, it's a much better use case for them on a car with only two powered windows. :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

To be fair, it's a much better use case for them on a car with only two powered windows. :v:

Lol really? :doh: yeah I guess finally their part standardization paid off!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Lol really? :doh: yeah I guess finally their part standardization paid off!

I'm not 100% sure but it looks like the windows on the sliding door aren't powered, and the buttons don't have the associated "rear" capacitive control.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Carwow and Teslabjörn (among others) have also released driving videos.
drat it the interior looks like the crap from ID.4 but now I still want one :negative:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dammit I really wanted the production model to have those thin top window slits like a Combibus or Vanagon.

I'm assuming it's some NHTSA "break window to escape" reg?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
This is the cargo van version.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I have learned to really despise ICE cars that park in EV spaces. I can't tell if it's sheer ignorance or if they're trying to make some ridiculous statement, but it happens way too often for my liking.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Kirios posted:

I have learned to really despise ICE cars that park in EV spaces. I can't tell if it's sheer ignorance or if they're trying to make some ridiculous statement, but it happens way too often for my liking.

On Saturday, I was getting into my car to leave a spot I had parked in, and noticed a woman in a Chevy Equinox waiting for me to leave. Only problem with her plan is my car was charging at a Volta station. I looked at her for a sec, then over at the giant ad monolith, back at her, and she took off heh.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

bad_fmr posted:

he also got the design lead to talk about it, pretty interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usJabJTdN8w

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I want the interior of the concept buzz. Nothing else will do.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
In that vein, one of my charging stops on Christmas Eve was in a big strip mall in the late morning. Every single spot for probably half a mile in any direction was full, and people were parking on the grass. But the 8 Tesla Supercharger spots were completely empty (aside from one other supercharging Model 3). Nobody did more than glance at them and moved on. And this was in one of the Carolinas, just off I-95. I think one woman pointed it out to others in her car and tried to figure out what was going on, but she moved on in fairly short order.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
What am I missing about the Tesla spots that make people less likely to ICE them than other ev spots? Never actually interacted with one

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Chin Strap posted:

What am I missing about the Tesla spots that make people less likely to ICE them than other ev spots? Never actually interacted with one

I think the ones more likely to get ICE'd are small single-spot AC chargers with poor signage. Tesla Superchargers and EA stations with all their lights and stuff really show their intent.

I've seen a few hotels with Tesla Superchargers get ICE'd but that's because the whole lot's full, they just had nowhere else to park.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you park in one people might think you love Elon musk

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Generally its done on purpose here

It's not even a convenience thing, every time I've seen it there have been other parks available (often closer ones too)

I've also come across the odd EV parked at a charger but not actually plugged in which is somehow even more annoying.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

dissss posted:

Why on earth is thy cable tucked underneath the bonnet? Seems like a great way to invite potentially expensive vandalism.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Why on earth is thy cable tucked underneath the bonnet? Seems like a great way to invite potentially expensive vandalism.

I believe they’re “owning” tesla drivers by parking in the spot and using up the cable

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I’d like to know where the cable is coming from since the charger still has the cable hanging in it.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

PenisMonkey posted:

I’d like to know where the cable is coming from since the charger still has the cable hanging in it.

This might be in Europe where they have CCS2 & Tesla cables in the same stall.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Yeah probably.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Always depressing to see europeans taking on american behavior.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

PenisMonkey posted:

Those ones have two cables each

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

President Beep posted:

Always depressing to see europeans taking on american behavior.

:10bux: says it's an American, probably stationed in a base nearby.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

This might be in Europe where they have CCS2 & Tesla cables in the same stall.

Wasabi seems to be a New Zealand based company.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Wasabi seems to be a New Zealand based company.

Yeah NZ.

Unfortunately US style truck obsession has well and truly caught on here, only difference is it's going to be a Hilux or Ranger rather than anything larger. It's worse at the moment too as the government just announced a rebate/fee programme based off CO2 emissions for new (or new to this country) vehicles which is commonly referred to as the 'ute tax'.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

dissss posted:

It's not even a convenience thing, every time I've seen it there have been other parks available (often closer ones too)

I've also come across the odd EV parked at a charger but not actually plugged in which is somehow even more annoying.

That looks like a great way to lose the air in all 4 tires!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Mahatma-Squid posted:

free battery and air cleaner yes!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

DoomTrainPhD posted:

That looks like a great way to lose the air in all 4 tires!

or glass on all doors :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Elephanthead posted:

free battery and air cleaner yes!

I would absolutely feel 0 regret for loosening their radiator cap. Totally their fault if they cook their engine on the way back home after owning some EV owner.

Another ID buzz review is up, didn't see this one posted yet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Z9naxfRUc It's still got all the interior camo and stuff, so I'm not sure if he covers anything new.