Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

That's a great impression of the smug contrarian take. Good job, guys.

No one will even acknowledge that the true answer is Batman and Robin being the best Batman ever. Everyone here bitching about how grim dark Batman has become and how much they hate "super serious" Batman and want something more light heart and jokey and yet they aren't willing to fully commit to the fact that Batman and Robin gave them all of this and they just can't handle it.

How's that for contrarian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lego Batman is the second best one after Batman 66

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Does old Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker count for these discussions or is it theatrical only? Because between the fall of Robin and the way that McGinnis defeats Joker by just roasting him, it's always been a strong contender for favorite for me.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I say dtv films should always be counted, unless they're cheeky fake films cobbled together from episodes. So Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker absolutely counts imo as it was conceived, written and presented as a film, but Batman Beyond: The Movie does not count as it was just the first few episodes stitched together.

It's also why I don't count the 70s Spider-Man films as actual films as they were just edited episodes of the Nicholas Hammond show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Human Torch?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I didn't particularly like Lego Batman. Most of the humor fell flat, I thought the whole "Joker and Batman as a couple going through a break up" metaphor didn't work, and anything that might have heart was papered over with gags, and the climax being a big preview for WB's "metaverse" excesses, basically the worst parts of Space Jam 2.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

theironjef posted:

Does old Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker count for these discussions or is it theatrical only? Because between the fall of Robin and the way that McGinnis defeats Joker by just roasting him, it's always been a strong contender for favorite for me.

good take

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

theironjef posted:

"If you don't like the film...i've got slides"

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
One day people will wake up and realize Batman Forever and Batman & Robin are top-tier.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Parkingtigers posted:

I swear, I'm a grown adult, and I still cannot get my head around how it was supposed to work in the original Thor comics. So he's a human doctor, with his own life and personality, and then he strikes his cane and he becomes Thor, an entirely separate person with his own personality. But they are still two separate people, yet also not because only one can exist at a time, and...

I'm so lost. loving funny book from the 1960s making me lose any self-belief that I'm smart.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

IIRC in the first couple issues it was kind of like Donald Blake just had "the power of Thor" but still had his own mind (and the whole "walking stick is secretly Thor's hammer" was standard "disability is secretly a superpower" stuff, like with Iron Man's heart or Daredevil's super-senses). But pretty quickly Jack wanted to bring in all the other Norse mythology with Odin and Loki and everything, which mean's he's "really Thor", so the identity just stuff got really muddled. It took until Simonson in the 80s to say that Blake was never a real person and have it just be Thor all the time.

This was pretty well explained in Thor 159

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
A lot of talk about good Batman movies and yet no one's talking about The Batman vs. Dracula, which is a shame

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Not strictly movie-related, but I finally played and finished that recent Guardians game and it’s such a goddamn blast. The gameplay gets a little stale and the game’s Quill is a little annoying, but almost all of the character interactions feel like outtakes from the MCU Guardians flicks and it’s genuinely hilarious at times.

I also wasn’t expecting Cosmo or Adam Warlock to pop up, and it’s going to be hard for Guardians Vol. 3 to top the latter.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

TwoPair posted:

A lot of talk about good Batman movies and yet no one's talking about The Batman vs. Dracula, which is a shame

Joker as a vampire was really disturbing, more so than the titular Dracula

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not strictly movie-related, but I finally played and finished that recent Guardians game and it’s such a goddamn blast. The gameplay gets a little stale and the game’s Quill is a little annoying, but almost all of the character interactions feel like outtakes from the MCU Guardians flicks and it’s genuinely hilarious at times.

I also wasn’t expecting Cosmo or Adam Warlock to pop up, and it’s going to be hard for Guardians Vol. 3 to top the latter.
It was a lot better than I would have expected

Quill's primary character trait is being annoying, to be honest

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm the opposite in that I wanted more combat but by the time everything is unlocked the game is over so without doing NG+ you don't get a chance to really learn and then make use of all the combo effects of your team's moves.

The one thing about combat that I don't think they fully nailed though is Star-Lord's hovering. If there's one big drawback in the combat system it's that the full power of your team's moves comes from knowing how the position of everyone and everything relates to one another and when you are on the ground and away from your teammates that gets lost easily. You do have a hover ability which gives you a better view of things but I think that should have been separate from the rest of the abilities. Like it should have just had its own button and always visible cooldown because activating it through the menu system and not knowing when it was available again meant I didn't use it as much as I should have.

Characterization and voice acting was great all around though it did feel like "come ON, Rocket" was said by Quill far too many times.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Super Dan posted:

This was pretty well explained in Thor 159

Only 6 years into the run :). I don't think I ever read that far.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
With this many toy images floating around, they must be getting ready to release some form of teaser soon?

Also Jane holding meow meow that looks like its held together by lighting after Hela shattered it is pretty awesome

I said it before, and I said it again, I'm really tied of the marketing for The Batman being "Paul Dano had to be admitted to a bughouse for 3 weeks after filming caused him to go crazy because this movie is so hardcore!". Like gently caress off.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 22, 2022

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Jamesman posted:

One day people will wake up and realize Batman Forever and Batman & Robin are top-tier.

I wouldn't call it "top-tier", but I'll go to bat (no pun intended) for Batman Forever. I can see the arguments people have for B&R, but I just think it's too much with too little charm. But I would be highly amused to see George Clooney come back for a brief cameo.

TwoPair posted:

Well, The Batman itself is wildly underrated, so I'm not surprised.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Joker as a vampire was really disturbing, more so than the titular Dracula

That scene in the blood bank. drat.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Jamesman posted:

I wouldn't say top-tier, they both have flaws holding them down, but they're definitely on the higher end of things for me.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Batman Forever and Batman & Robin are not top tier movies and close to the bottom of the pile for Batman films.

But they're entertaining in a different way from most of them, which is kind of refreshing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Forever I agree is good campy fun. Jones, Carrey and Kidman all know exactly what movie they're in and they're having a ball. (Kidman is low key my favourite part, she's going so hard on the vamp, it's great)

B&R is just tedious outside the bits that you remember or see in supercuts. Yes, Ahnold's ice puns are fun, Thurman's Mae West impression is wonderful and every second John Glover is on screen is a blast; and the scenes with Bruce and Alfred are actually sweet and a decent note for a Batman story, but everything with Robin, Batgirl, Bane and the final act as a whole are just absolutely snoozefests. Plus, I realise Schumacher may have been trying to make some kind of point from the POV of a queer man about the male gaze, but the poo poo with Batgirl's suit up scene is still deeply weird.

I do think there's a solid argument that the Schumacher films are worse movies but better Batman movies than the Burton ones, which are mostly good Burton and kind of feature Batman stuff on accident a lot of the time.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

twistedmentat posted:

I said it before, and I said it again, I'm really tied of the marketing for The Batman being "Paul Dano had to be admitted to a bughouse for 3 weeks after filming caused him to go crazy because this movie is so hardcore!". Like gently caress off.

How much hype around The Dark Knight was "Heath Ledger was so traumatized by the experience of playing the joker that he killed himself over it"? I don't think that was a studio line, but it certainly was shouted by too many edgelords.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

twistedmentat posted:

With this many toy images floating around, they must be getting ready to release some form of teaser soon?

Also Jane holding meow meow that looks like its held together by lighting after Hela shattered it is pretty awesome

If you read that dumb article everything gets even stupider.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It's not part of the marketing, the article span it for maximum outrage and twitter retweets, Dano's comments are overwhelminly mild and normal.

Crossposting myself from another thread:

As ever the headline overstated what the interviewee was actually saying.

Paul Dano posted:

There were some nights around that I probably didn’t sleep as well as I would’ve wanted to just because it was a little hard to come down from this character, It takes a lot of energy to get there. And so you almost have to sustain it once you’re there because going up and down is kind of hard.

What I felt was the opportunity that Matt [Reeves] was giving with a villain in this film was more real, potentially more terrifying.”

Basically he says it was an intense, high energy performance which left him too wired too sleep and then SEPERATELY states that the version of the character is terrifying. There's no doubt he's taking the role and the work seriously, but I don't know why that's such a problem? Actors will often look for the truth and the interest in the roles they play even if the Internet thinks it's inherently stupid. It would be weird if he said "lol it's just a dumb comic film so I phoned it in"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mr Hootington posted:

If you read that dumb article everything gets even stupider.

Yea every time I go on any social media i'm bombarded with this poo poo. I've never clicked on it and I never well because that's not enticing to me at all.

Karloff posted:

It's not part of the marketing, the article span it for maximum outrage and twitter retweets, Dano's comments are overwhelminly mild and normal.

Crossposting myself from another thread:

As ever the headline overstated what the interviewee was actually saying.

Basically he says it was an intense, high energy performance which left him too wired too sleep and then SEPERATELY states that the version of the character is terrifying. There's no doubt he's taking the role and the work seriously, but I don't know why that's such a problem? Actors will often look for the truth and the interest in the roles they play even if the Internet thinks it's inherently stupid. It would be weird if he said "lol it's just a dumb comic film so I phoned it in"

lovely clickbait sites are certainly part of the marketing. Oh yea not the traditional ones, there hasn't been a trailer for it that says "This clinical psychiatrist says watching this movie will make you and insane killer!" or "you must sign a waver to watch this movie because it will destroy your sanity!" like it was some William Castle movie. But that kind of poo poo is very much part of the marketing for every movie. I'm starting to get from the same sources "Brie Larsen says the script of the Marvels is bonkers!" which like okay? But that is less annoying because hardcore edgelord Batman is the absolute last kind of batman I want.

Social Media was a mistake.

Though thinking about it, I'd be into a showing of Batman where suddenly he flies from the ceiling like Emergo.

Batman Forever is fine. Its super stylized but its a fine movie. But B&R is just so bad. As was said, there's a few shining moments that you get from the supercuts, and all the girls I know who loooove Ivy are big fans of Uma's version, but the rest of the movie is just dire. Its corny rear end jokes that don't work, a lot of the action set pieces feel more like they're energy drink ads than anything. Actually the whole movie has some over wrought music video feeling to it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

If nothing else, the Batman Forever soundtrack low-key fuuuuucks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Low key? Heck no. HIGH KEY.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

gently caress yeah.

It always hurts that B&R had that rad Smashing Pumpkins song :negative:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If nothing else, the Batman Forever soundtrack low-key holds, thrills, kisses, kills

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A Kiss From a Rose by any other name would gently caress as high-key.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
In 2002 I was in a college dorm and the dude nextdoor just played "Kiss from a Rose" on repeat for hours, blasting through the thin walls. Great song or no I had to go yell at him and to this day I remember him as the Kiss from a Rose guy.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Lobok posted:

A Kiss From a Rose by any other name would gently caress as high-key.

The cocaine song is just :discourse:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I also always forget that Drew Barrymore is in that film. Before her comeback with like Never Been Kissed and Wedding Singer.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Omnomnomnivore posted:

In 2002 I was in a college dorm and the dude nextdoor just played "Kiss from a Rose" on repeat for hours, blasting through the thin walls. Great song or no I had to go yell at him and to this day I remember him as the Kiss from a Rose guy.

I hate that song because a former friend once told me a long story about how, after he had moved down here in the summer of 1995, he didn't know anyone and didn't go out much so he listened to the radio and jerked off a lot. He says this left him with Pavlov's Boner every time that song came on, and man gently caress that dude.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
How the gently caress do you jerk off to a song

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Opopanax beat me to it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How the gently caress do you jerk off to a song

There's a reason Baby Shark is so popular.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fred Hechinger has been cast in the Kraven movie as the Chameleon, one of the few major Spider-Man villains who has not yet appeared on screen

https://www.ign.com/articles/kraven-the-hunter-chameleon-fred-hechinger

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Fred Hechinger has been cast in the Kraven movie as the Chameleon, one of the few major Spider-Man villains who has not yet appeared on screen

That we know of.... :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

He appeared in Far From Home.