Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

trying to jack off posted:

im not going to play elden ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ArfJason posted:

i get it but dude chill if you have to go out who gives a poo poo its like if you left the power on

i did another run through anyway, its a real quick game and the only final boss stage thats really any trouble is the first one because the lightning can really gently caress you up if you time it wrong. i also didnt lose a life by going too slow on stage 5 this time but i still got owned by the mandatory time death on stage 7 lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3G4NyelU2Y

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

quote is not edit but also i forgot to add the ng III jp trophy to my case

trying to jack off posted:

mandatory time death on stage 7 lol

ok so it wasn't just me being complete poo poo at the game lol

tmfc fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 21, 2022

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

That Little Demon posted:

Congrats mbt! let me know what game you pick and if you have any ideas for challenges.

lol gently caress, during elden ring week too. ill keep mine short enough to finish on wednesday/thursday

the legacy of good/bad alternating games will continue with my pick:

it's like the immortal for genesis but better
Play this with the arrowkeys on your keyboard like doom, if you have a gravis gamepad then lol

There are 12 levels, 6 apprentice and 6 wizard towers. The wizard towers are just the apprentice levels but slightly remixed and you have to find an additional key, and it's a lot harder.
I've never beaten all 12 towers and theres no footage online of anyone doing that, so that won't be the challenge. The first 6 is plenty, that'll take you maybe 2-3 hours. if you hate it and dip after 3 levels that'll take maybe 1-2 hours
Beat the first 3 apprentice towers
Beat the first 6 apprentice towers

your goal in each level is to kill every enemy and blow up the monster generator with a bomb you find in the level. Red on the lower left indicates there are monsters on that floor.

turn up your sound (the music and sound are amazing) and enjoy this apogee classic :cheers:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
this looks cool. nice pick

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
gently caress yeah some weird poo poo

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
oh lordy, one of the few apogee games i'm not hugely familiar with. i think i beat level 1 once...

original manual

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

mbt posted:

turn up your sound (the music and sound are amazing) and enjoy this apogee classic :cheers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwgSgqq9kK0

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ask me about shitposting in SAD to get the attention my parents never gave me

mbt posted:

lol gently caress, during elden ring week too. ill keep mine short enough to finish on wednesday/thursday

the legacy of good/bad alternating games will continue with my pick:

it's like the immortal for genesis but better
Play this with the arrowkeys on your keyboard like doom, if you have a gravis gamepad then lol

There are 12 levels, 6 apprentice and 6 wizard towers. The wizard towers are just the apprentice levels but slightly remixed and you have to find an additional key, and it's a lot harder.
I've never beaten all 12 towers and theres no footage online of anyone doing that, so that won't be the challenge. The first 6 is plenty, that'll take you maybe 2-3 hours. if you hate it and dip after 3 levels that'll take maybe 1-2 hours
Beat the first 3 apprentice towers
Beat the first 6 apprentice towers

your goal in each level is to kill every enemy and blow up the monster generator with a bomb you find in the level. Red on the lower left indicates there are monsters on that floor.

cool, I'll do the write up later today, nice pick

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Cubone posted:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

mbt posted:

I've never beaten all 12 towers and theres no footage online of anyone doing that,

mbt posted:

hmmmm

"Mystic Towers is a sequel to Baron Baldric: A Grave Adventure, a platform game in which Baron Baldric battled an evil sorcerous ancestor. The earlier game, originally written for the Amiga"

yeah ok

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

As usual I’ll be playing this on original hardware *pulls ancient 386 PC out of dumpster*

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
hosed up

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

it's on archive.org and runs in DOSBox without any additional config - https://archive.org/details/msdos_Mystic_Towers_1994

otherwise it's $5 on Steam for what I assume is just a pre-rolled DOSBox package - https://store.steampowered.com/app/358220/Mystic_Towers/

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

elf help book posted:

hmmmm

"Mystic Towers is a sequel to Baron Baldric: A Grave Adventure, a platform game in which Baron Baldric battled an evil sorcerous ancestor. The earlier game, originally written for the Amiga"

yeah ok

quote:

Mystic Towers is a video game created by Australian developer Animation F/X

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Ask me about shitposting in SAD to get the attention my parents never gave me

tmfc posted:

it's on archive.org and runs in DOSBox without any additional config - https://archive.org/details/msdos_Mystic_Towers_1994

otherwise it's $5 on Steam for what I assume is just a pre-rolled DOSBox package - https://store.steampowered.com/app/358220/Mystic_Towers/

Thank you

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

nice choice, this feels like a good week for it

Cubone posted:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Just lost all 5 continues on 6-1. 6-1B is a drat death trap

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

I will pass on the US version.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Act 7 with 4 continues left...7-2 is definitely gonna be the hardest

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Joan posted:

It took me seven hours, and I used a trick I found in the last level to get 9 lives, but I got through the USA version

Joan posted:

I looked at a guide to see if it mentioned the trick I found, and it didn't. But it did say the following

I wish you'd you know...shared this. Back to act 1

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Evil Eagle posted:

I wish you'd you know...shared this. Back to act 1

Sorry. I didn't think people would want to use it if they didn't find it themselves

Get the fire wheel art (upward special attack) in stage 2A. Save it until you enter 2C. Immediately turn back into 2B. If you backtrack a little the extra life is right there, and respawns every time you go to 2C and come back to 2B. Break the extra life container with the special attack and you should have just enough space to jump up and grab it and fall back onto the platform

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Ah, I tried that a bunch on the jp version and never made it back to the platform. I'll have to try again if I end up getting a game over this time, back up to act 5 already

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Good luck gamer

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

set up the us version with the easy mode rom hacks. i'll probably start this later today.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I thought this was on the switch Famicom app but I guess it's just one...I'll have to whip some rear end at home tomorrow before work then to make it before the deadline.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

I thought this was on the switch Famicom app but I guess it's just one...I'll have to whip some rear end at home tomorrow before work then to make it before the deadline.

lucky this is by far the easiest of the nes games

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I was wrong the middle of 7-3 is so hosed up lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

I was wrong the middle of 7-3 is so hosed up lol

im trying to remember, is that the spikes section? im assuming its hell in the us version with the extra damage lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

7-3B might be the only infuriating room in the entire game lol

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

elf help book posted:

7-3B might be the only infuriating room in the entire game lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Yeah I'm at the end of the game and beat the first boss but I'm having trouble with that jump in 7-3B with the crumbling platform and I'm pissed because someone said it saved your progress on the boss gauntlet and I assumed it meant I wouldn't have to do that section over again.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Holy poo poo I'm exhausted. Last continue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1mhpTQt5NE&t=30883s

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

awesome

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

:cheerdoge:

welcome