Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

lol, mount the front of the second story on long technique poles soes it can chomp up and down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Wow! I never knew about that pirate ship - that might be the best of them. Also, great cat!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

The Voice of Labor posted:

lol, mount the front of the second story on long technique poles soes it can chomp up and down

Now 30% less sinister, but still not happy with it. Also two plates shorter, which it needed. Might have to sleep on it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cloks posted:

bought the sea cow a few years ago and finally built it. i had to one pile it so it was a huge pain in the butt but nothing was missing and I'm happy to finally have this set assembled. there's no way I'm ever taking it apart because i don't think these bricks would survive; the brown red is not long for this world.

Whenever I think of taking mine down I just can't because it's so awesome.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer
Hello Lego thread. I completed my first ever Lego model today, beyond building random rocket cars with my cousin 20-odd years ago.

It was my dad's 69th (nice) birthday this month, and my mum happened across the Fiat 500 kit online somehow. When I was a small child, dad drove this exact 500, colour and all, so we had to get it!

We built it together over three afternoons and had a lovely time. I have no idea where it lands in terms of complexity for Lego broadly, but I was very impressed with how clear and manageable the instructions were.

Thank goodness I'm (fingers crossed) moving to a different country within a month, because otherwise I'd be worried I'd start to spend more than is advisable on Lego.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Nice! I’d say that’s like mid level complexity? At the high end would be technic sets with gearboxes and stuff. Right above that would be a creator expert car that actually has steering like the Mustang.

They probably have Lego in whatever country you’re moving to…

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Heads up, the official Lego Shop has VIDIYO stuff for 30% off right now. Assuming it's part of the march to discontinuation, but if you've meant to pick any of them up for the minifigs or album covers, now is probably the time.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/themes/vidiyo

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

IIRC LEGO has stated that very few people buy trains. It's kind of a blessing when they do decide to put one out for the hardcore fans because they are poor sellers.

I like trains generally but I don’t really see the appeal of the crocodile locomotive so I don’t think they are working too hard to make them good sellers.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Carbohydrates posted:

Chemical Plant Zone

Instructions soon probably.
I just finished putting together the Green Hill Zone set so my body (and shelf) is ready whenever you're able

though come to think of it the fact that it's titled "Sonic the Hedgehog™ – Green Hill Zone" on the website rather than just "Sonic the Hedgehog™" makes me wonder if they might actually put out an expansion someday

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

smackfu posted:

I like trains generally but I don’t really see the appeal of the crocodile locomotive so I don’t think they are working too hard to make them good sellers.

Yeah, it feels like a weird misstep. Why wouldn’t you do a cool train like the Mercury or the Shinkansen?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Carbohydrates posted:

IIRC LEGO has stated that very few people buy trains. It's kind of a blessing when they do decide to put one out for the hardcore fans because they are poor sellers.

I have nine Lego trains and I absolutely would buy more.

As an aside, I'm accustomed to buying modular sets used and therefore doing a single pile build. That absolutely pales in comparison to buying 60lbs of Lego off Craigslist, identifying sets the person owned from some unique pieces, then trying to build a star wars ship by sitting through sixty pounds of pieces because you don't want to do the boring work of sorting it first.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I love to build the shinkansen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRlrEd1Uzag&t=2s

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, it feels like a weird misstep. Why wouldn’t you do a cool train like the Mercury or the Shinkansen?

Taste aside, the Crocodile locomotive has a very long history as a model train locomotive - even its nickname is used first ever in the Märklin (German model train producer) catalogues from 1933/34. (But to really be a crocodile, the Lego model should have been green.)
So, from an European standpoint, the production of a Lego Crocodile locomotive makes sense.
Personally, I like the model.
But I would buy a good Shinkansen or a Big Boy or ... a.s.a.p., too!

Loki Kunti fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 21, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ideas review tomorrow! I honestly think ‘none of them’ might be an option this time.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

The_Doctor posted:

Ideas review tomorrow! I honestly think ‘none of them’ might be an option this time.

The announcement about it also says that “new sets have been approved” so there’s definitely something coming out of this

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The lifeguard shack is kinda cute, the log cabin looks nice, and I'd never be mad about more medieval stuff. Jaws set is cool but i guess ultimately it's just a boat and a shark, so not terribly exciting.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I don't like pantographs.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

bird with big dick posted:

I don't like pantographs.

Weird, I was talking with pantographs just the other day in the cafeteria and they told me they thought you were kinda cute. They were thinking of asking you to the spring cotillion.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The_Doctor posted:

Any of the medieval stuff is neat. And I'd buy the Spaceballs one.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm crossing my fingers for the cuckoo clock.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I would love the jaws set but the shark needs to be designed so you can put an oxygen tank in it's mouth and it pushes a button that makes it explode into pieces.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Jaws is the only one of those I would for sure buy.
https://brickset.com/sets/4010-1/Police-Rescue-Boat
That was one of my first sets and I remember pretending it was the boat from jaws while playing in the bath tub.

I'd also buy Minas Tirith, but there's no way that's gonna happen.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
The Goat Boat

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m building the Super Mario Question Mark Block and it’s a hoot. It’s a little smaller than I expected but the engineering is clever and I like the little details and features. I’ve about 3/4 of the way through the build so far.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

ixnay posted:

The announcement about it also says that “new sets have been approved” so there’s definitely something coming out of this

I’m the weirdo who would buy that underground one.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

esperantinc posted:

Man, this set gets better every time you post pictures. I wasn't going to buy the original Sonic set, but if you do end up doing instructions for Chemical Plant Zone, I just might.

Sivart13 posted:

I just finished putting together the Green Hill Zone set so my body (and shelf) is ready whenever you're able
Sorry it took so long, larger models are much more tedious to do and I've been working a lot. Excuses, excuses.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-102759/Carbohydrates/sonic-the-hedgehog-chemical-plant-zone/

Also, here's a 1956 Ford Thunderbird, made in light royal blue! Ever since the UK-exclusive Fiat 500 set dropped, I wanted to use all those pretty new parts in a MOC. It also has a medium blue interior.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Carbohydrates posted:

Also, here's a 1956 Ford Thunderbird, made in light royal blue! Ever since the UK-exclusive Fiat 500 set dropped, I wanted to use all those pretty new parts in a MOC. It also has a medium blue interior.

Love that rear fender and wheel cover!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Holy poo poo the BTS Dynamite thing won Lego Ideas…

E: I mean nothing against the general idea, but that entry was so bland and boring…

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol @ what an awful build that is.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The A-Frame also won, and I’m here for it! You’re gonna be a Mystery Shack when I’m done with you!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That BTS set is going to make Lego so much loving money even though it looks like total poo poo that someone put ten whole minutes of thought into.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Wouldn’t be surprised if Universal also had a role in this, IIRC they are BTS’ publisher. The Vidyo debacle wasn’t good for both Lego and Universal, so maybe it’s also some kind of “we’re trying to make good”.

…who am I kidding, it’s simply about the money.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I get the feeling their review process requires accepting at least one set with mass appeal because they want a guarantee it'll sell every single unit.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

The A-Frame also won, and I’m here for it! You’re gonna be a Mystery Shack when I’m done with you!

Hey it’s my neighbors house

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The A-frame is cool, once it gets LEGOified it might be the first Ideas building I pick up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

xzzy posted:

I get the feeling their review process requires accepting at least one set with mass appeal because they want a guarantee it'll sell every single unit.

I feel very old that the only reason I know what BTK dynamite even is, is googling it when I first saw the ideas submission. And to this day I can't wrap my head around Korean boy bands being mainstream popular in the US.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
the BTS ideas is really disappointing, because you already had other fans putting out better variants of it lol. I wonder how much Lego is gonna throw away from this.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
At least gamestop didn't win?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

w00tazn posted:

the BTS ideas is really disappointing, because you already had other fans putting out better variants of it

Carbs did it first and better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I WANT THE SPACE PROBES ONE

In case anyone didn't see here's the 1:70 scale Voyager craft Carbohydrates skillfully assembled last year as a commission for me, for a friend's birthday.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-75167/Carbohydrates/voyager-probe-170-scale/#details

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 22, 2022