Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There's no real reason to go into full semantic arguments over whether this constitutes an invasion or not right now, there are still about 5 months left on the poster's toxx clause. If we wait a bit, the whole discussion might become obsolete. If Putin doesn't invade any further, we can argue about the toxx clause in a month or 5 just as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

The fact is we are closer to a major global war right this second with Putin’s move from covert occupation of Eastern Ukraine to overt occupation of Eastern Ukraine than we have been since probably the 1960s.

We're really not, the West has made it very clear that a military response is off the table. Even if Russia conquered the entirety of Ukraine, which I don't think is plausible, nothing about that would trigger global war.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

so this probably means that nord stream 2 is gone, doesn't it? big sacrifice for not a lot of gain

Yeah, this really sucks. Very reckless move that’s going to make life lovely for a lot of innocent people. I still strongly doubt that this is going to result in a broader invasion/occupation beyond the breakaway regions, but this has already spun out of control. It could spin more. I hope not. This news makes me sad.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i'm sure NATO will fight bravely to the last ukrainian

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Torrannor posted:

There's no real reason to go into full semantic arguments over whether this constitutes an invasion or not right now, there are still about 5 months left on the poster's toxx clause. If we wait a bit, the whole discussion might become obsolete. If Putin doesn't invade any further, we can argue about the toxx clause in a month or 5 just as well.

Like I said: Nobodies Toxx's are being called in until something more overt happens. Chill.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
https://mobile.twitter.com/ArmedForcesUkr/status/1495879255795937287
Ukrainian Armed Forces requesting citizens not to share info about military movements.

Zelensky address postponed & media asked to vacate. There might not be an official response for several hours.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Russia could invade Ukraine tomorrow and NATO, EU, and US would do nothing. There's no path to global war out of this. Other than sanctions and 'wagging of fingers' nobody is going to move any units to defend Ukraine.

Putins speech did decry the loss of more NATOish countrys

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nessus posted:

My own impression is that Putin smoked himself stupid thinking he would surely get the West to walk down and maybe authorize him to carve off the chunks he's moving troops into now and for once this didn't happen, and there's no actual plan on what to do in this case on his part.

I can certainly understand having a poor estimate of American foreign policy resolve but it was the last guy he was on good terms with.

That's my general take, as well. Putin was convinced that simply threatening to invade Ukraine would extract all sorts of concessions from the west. When they called his bluff and dared him to shoot his hostage, he didn't seem to know what to do next. He seems to know that actually invading Ukraine is not going to go well, but now he's stuck.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1495889247009742854

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Despera posted:

Putin will be dead before Russia has the resources to pull this kind of stunt again.

This, whatever "this" might end up shaping into, is his Legacy Project.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i also have a very difficult time seeing russia invade beyond the separatist regions, but they're very clearly threatening to recognise the formal claims of the breakaway republics and that could certainly happen. it would trigger further sanctions, but the russians may think it worth it - though it is once more unclear to me exactly what it is the russians are trying to accomplish here. a wedge between the continental powers and the anglo-american parts of NATO? that might explain the weird timing wrt nord stream 2

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Talks with Erdogan probably mean that they’ll be arming up quite hard. Not that unexpected, I guess.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Well I’m dining in.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Despera posted:

I mean the other side of this is its only reinforced that "You either join NATO or Putin invades you or validates your insurrectionists" which is not a great look for Russia.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

V. Illych L. posted:

so this probably means that nord stream 2 is gone, doesn't it? big sacrifice for not a lot of gain

I really, really hope so. But, considering we live in the hell timeline, and considering how cowardly Germany is,

As a Finn, I also fervently hope that Nato will expand north imminently (and then west why not). But... uggh

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
When I was reading this thread last night I noticed that there was a difference between Russian conscripts and private soldiers. Both seem Russia sourced, but private soldiers are paid better and are seemingly treated better? Are conscripts the ones that don’t get much equipment, get hazed into suicide, get their pay skimmed from higher ups so on? Or do both types of troops get that. Sorry if this is off topic, I’ll take it elsewhere. I just kept mocking the distinction here.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Deteriorata posted:

That's my general take, as well. Putin was convinced that simply threatening to invade Ukraine would extract all sorts of concessions from the west. When they called his bluff and dared him to shoot his hostage, he didn't seem to know what to do next. He seems to know that actually invading Ukraine is not going to go well, but now he's stuck.

this, again, would be an enormous and quite uncharacteristic miscalculation. i don't think that the russian government are idiots in this way.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

V. Illych L. posted:

i also have a very difficult time seeing russia invade beyond the separatist regions, but they're very clearly threatening to recognise the formal claims of the breakaway republics and that could certainly happen. it would trigger further sanctions, but the russians may think it worth it - though it is once more unclear to me exactly what it is the russians are trying to accomplish here. a wedge between the continental powers and the anglo-american parts of NATO? that might explain the weird timing wrt nord stream 2

I maintain that NS2 is a bargaining chip on the Russian side of the table and not the EU's, in which case this move makes sense.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

V. Illych L. posted:

i'm sure NATO will fight bravely to the last ukrainian

The Ukrainian military with the budget of NATO solidly behind it would be very formidable, I bet

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

jaete posted:

I really, really hope so. But, considering we live in the hell timeline, and considering how cowardly Germany is,

As a Finn, I also fervently hope that Nato will expand north imminently (and then west why not). But... uggh

NATO is absolutely not a good guy in this, you realise

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I mean the other side of this is its only reinforced that "You either join NATO or Putin invades you or validates your insurrectionists" which is not a great look for Russia.

Also breaking the minsk agreements allows Ukraine to join NATO. Wether or not NATO countries are ballsy enough to let them join is a question.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

V. Illych L. posted:

this, again, would be an enormous and quite uncharacteristic miscalculation. i don't think that the russian government are idiots in this way.

Given that for all intents, Putin IS the entirety of the Russian government: They totally could be idiots.

V. Illych L. posted:

NATO is not actively invading anything or threatening to do so, so probably still more a good guy than Russia right now. I think its fair to say after the WONDERFUL Putin speech this afternoon, Russia is also not the good guy.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Gort posted:

The Ukrainian military with the budget of NATO solidly behind it would be very formidable, I bet

Just think of the size of the procurement officer's dacha!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Talks with Erdogan probably mean that they’ll be arming up quite hard. Not that unexpected, I guess.

Trying to anyway. Erdogan's been doing the frenemy dance with Putin for a while, and outright selling weapons to kill a bunch of Russians, even in a defensive war, might put Erdogan's own projects at risk elsewhere. Or he might decide this is the perfect opportunity to gently caress Putin over while he's otherwise occupied, who knows.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

ok comrade

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Despera posted:

Also breaking the minsk agreements allows Ukraine to join NATO. Wether or not NATO countries are ballsy enough to let them join is a question.
The doublebluff here possibly is that if they spark enough revanchism into whatever remains of Ukraine, NATO will absolutely never admit them because they'll drag them into a future war with Russia in order to retake Crimea/Donbass/whatever else.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Conspiratiorist posted:

I maintain that NS2 is a bargaining chip on the Russian side of the table and not the EU's, in which case this move makes sense.

this does look like the russian calculus, but even then - why not wait until it was up and running? is it because they would then have contract commitments which they'd have to honour?

CommieGIR posted:

Given that for all intents, Putin IS the entirety of the Russian government: They totally could be idiots.

NATO is not actively invading anything or threatening to do so, so probably still more a good guy than Russia right now.

i agree that the russians are the biggest assholes in this situation, but there can be more than one rear end in a top hat in a situation

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Still shocked at how unhinged Putin's speech was. When I hear a world leader yelling about states that don't have the right to exist, I usually expect it to be about Israel.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

Nazis weren't good guys either, but they helped Finland fend off the soviets back when rest of the world turned their backs.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

buglord posted:

When I was reading this thread last night I noticed that there was a difference between Russian conscripts and private soldiers. Both seem Russia sourced, but private soldiers are paid better and are seemingly treated better? Are conscripts the ones that don’t get much equipment, get hazed into suicide, get their pay skimmed from higher ups so on? Or do both types of troops get that. Sorry if this is off topic, I’ll take it elsewhere. I just kept mocking the distinction here.

When I was looking into this, it seemed like conscripts are mostly relegated to logstical roles while the maneuver units have the professional soliders.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

The doublebluff here possibly is that if they spark enough revanchism into whatever remains of Ukraine, NATO will absolutely never admit them because they'll drag them into a war with Russia in order to retake Crimea/Donbass/whatever else.

Its a defensive alliance, they cant just invade what was thier country and go "guys a little help,"

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Despera posted:

ok comrade

NATO's been perfectly happy to play the escalation game to justify its existence at little risk to itself. the russians *should* have known this, though, so it remains unclear what they've been driving for.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So what's the general wisdom of the thread of what the US should do? I'm just curious. Personally, I'm in the let's not do another ground war camp.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

NATO's been perfectly happy to play the escalation game to justify its existence at little risk to itself. the russians *should* have known this, though, so it remains unclear what they've been driving for.

Yeah the primary drive for this conflict is NATO and not Russian Imperialism

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

buglord posted:

Private soldiers are paid much better, and generally have conditions similar to second-tier western armies, like France or U.K. (to avoid WatchMojo World’s 5 Strongest Armies fight here, first tier in my mind is exclusively occupied by the U.S.). Relationship between Russian contractors and conscripts is similar to that between American COs and NCOs, if it was legal to treat NCOs worse than animals. Both groups are equipped similarly, but the shiny and new stuff is first delivered to contract troops, while conscripts will at times be forced to do practice drills in Korean War tanks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LionArcher posted:

So what's the general wisdom of the thread of what the US should do? I'm just curious. Personally, I'm in the let's not do another ground war camp.

There is absolutely nothing indicating the US is going to get involved with a Ukrainian v Russia ground war.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Given the constant shelling on the line of contact it seems like a matter of time until one of the official Russian peacekeepers eats some shrapnel. Unless the Ukrainians intend to just never respond to shelling again, or the inofficial Russian troops stop shelling Ukrainian lines. Both of which seems unlikely. So this is going to deteriorate within days, not weeks, right?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

V. Illych L. posted:

this does look like the russian calculus, but even then - why not wait until it was up and running? is it because they would then have contract commitments which they'd have to honour?

This is a plan that's been in the works since at least April if going by force buildup, and since 2019 if we go by ForEx movements. They might've expected NS2 to already be up and running, but this not being the case ultimately wasn't deemed to alter the calculus when accounting with the current status of American/European internal politics.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

aphid_licker posted:

Given the constant shelling on the line of contact it seems like a matter of time until one of the official Russian peacekeepers eats some shrapnel. Unless the Ukrainians intend to just never respond to shelling again, or the inofficial Russian troops stop shelling Ukrainian lines. Both of which seems unlikely. So this is going to deteriorate within days, not weeks, right?

As far as I can tell, the Ukrainians have not shelled back at all. That's kind of been the issue with the LNR/DNR attempts to frame shelling as Ukrainian. It apparently has not happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Well, but it’s not like there are many North Atlantic countries left to join, though. Ukraine and Georgia are no-goes, Finland and Sweden are probably going to still stay neutral for the time being, and…that’s kind of it.