Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

kazil posted:

It's a pretty good approximation to me. How would you pronounce it?

negro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Scientastic posted:

I don’t know what part of the UK you’re from, but where I live, saying oval office is still deeply offensive

sa has created special rules for certain UK and oz threads because both have people who can't not say the c-word. idgi but thems the breaks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

The Spanish word negro definitely isn't pronounced "nay-gro" though.

Depending on the accent it's close enough and way closer than the "knee-grow" pronunciation American racists use when referring to Black people.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

He's ignoring all questions about "which people are you suggesting be thrown under the bus."

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Oh.

Well I feel foolish.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Arsenic Lupin posted:

He's ignoring all questions about "which people are you suggesting be thrown under the bus."
Even beyond that it's built on the foundation that if we cede some things to Republicans, they will, naturally, cede things back. Just let them have some of the culture war and then they'll definitely let us pass some important legislation! That's just how Republicans work!

hawowanlawow posted:

it was one poster and they apologized on this page
The fact you're using third person suggests to me you don't think you are included in that group of one

hawowanlawow posted:

spastic just means hyperactive in the US. nobody who uses it means actual muscle spasms, due to cerebral palsy or not

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

The fact you're using third person suggests to me you don't think you are included in that group of one

what the gently caress are you talking about?

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/gop/status/1495750407888510985?s=21

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

I can understand going all in on the Trump train because you can't back out now, but Nixon? Really?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I know they're just listing previous Republican presidents, but imagine Stanning for George Bush Sr. Every other one is terrible in their own way, but I understand being an evil person and liking them, George HW Bush?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
He did create the most hilarious diplomatic incident ever, to be fair.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hollandia posted:

I'm so sorry.

good news, birthday party literally just got cancelled! i got to dodge the frozen 2 monopoly bullet, yaaaaaaaaaay

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That is by far the most competent conservative meme I've ever seen.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

think the font is loving with my screen reader, can someone describe it to me? It keeps repeating "Hollywood squares but racist" :confused:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

they skipped over the guilded age but included .....Coolidge?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

hawowanlawow posted:

they skipped over the guilded age but included .....Coolidge?

Coolidge was a union-buster, you see, as well as a huge racist.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

AlbieQuirky posted:

Coolidge was a union-buster, you see, as well as a huge racist.

And is very frequently listed in like the bottom 5-10 presidents we’ve ever had. Coolidge is kind of like the James Buchanan of the Great Depression.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

How many other recognizable Republican presidents are there?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Teddy Roosevelt at least.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Grant

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

ultrafilter posted:

I’d bet a million dollars that I do not have that 90% of Americans could not recognize Calvin Coolidge.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Obama

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Scientastic posted:

I don’t know what part of the UK you’re from, but where I live, saying oval office is still deeply offensive

Ah, Your Majesty, good to see you're feeling well enough to post on the forums. How're the corgis?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Even if I accepted the premise Obama was basically a Republican in Democrat clothing (I absolutely agree with this) I'm pretty sure why he's not on their role call.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/xeni/status/1495556883314143234?t=oRYkLFm8oD1hQmIkwa06Gw&s=19

For people confused an Inter-Uterine Device is a birth control thing commonly called IUD, an IED is an Improvised Explosive Device, a roadside bomb.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Skwirl posted:

https://twitter.com/xeni/status/1495556883314143234?t=oRYkLFm8oD1hQmIkwa06Gw&s=19

For people confused an Inter-Uterine Device is a birth control thing commonly called IUD, an IED is an Improvised Explosive Device, a roadside bomb.

IMO separating from your wife because she was dabbling in some light terrorism is a much more defensible decision than leaving her because she used too much birth control

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Neito posted:

It's kinda like how Spastic has some ableist connotations in the UK but just means "kinda herky jerky" here in the USA.

This is extremely hosed up. If you really belive this you're an idiot.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

10 Beers posted:

This is extremely hosed up. If you really belive this you're an idiot.

I mean, you can look at the wikipedia page for the word which details the difference. The conversation about the appropriateness of the word has been driven into the ground, but I guarantee you that many Americans, likely the majority, for the past 40 years or so have been unaware that it has roots in describing any sort of actual condition.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Skwirl posted:

Teddy Roosevelt at least.

Teddy Roosevelt much more recognizable, also on Mount Rushmore
But he was a trust-buster and established the national parks, so therefore not up to Coolidge’s high standards

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Republican criteria for "good president":
- was Republican

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Push El Burrito posted:

Meanwhile Ted Lasso rules and is all about trying to be positive while the entire world is just stomping on you and how good vibes can be infectious.

sounds like textbook toxic positivity to me, chief. replies on that tweet def do not make me interested in watching the show. happy you like it, tho

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Toxic positivity sounds like some nonsense

Did you get that from Twitter

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Mr. Fix It posted:

sounds like textbook toxic positivity to me, chief. replies on that tweet def do not make me interested in watching the show. happy you like it, tho

Hey, Mr. Fix It. I got something you could fix; that attitude. :clint:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

CharlestheHammer posted:

They were possibly being sarcastic, but it is a Thing.

It's just probably something that's been driven into the ground while being mis-defined, like "gaslighting". (Your partner lying to you about something is not automatically gaslighting, for example.)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Genuine toxic positivity is "You are not allowed to be unhappy, only happy. Someone always has it worse, so any human emotion other than happiness is not allowed."

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Being too negative is bad, being too positive is bad. Maybe the truth is in the middle*.

*this also has its own extreme

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Pinned tweet made me laugh when combined with that one. Can someone be canceled for not giving respect to Ted Lasso? I hope so!

https://twitter.com/bornferal/status/1212827540055740417?s=20&t=cDV7Rmw7CoOdHZW71zb5Fg

The problem with Ted Lasso twitter discourse is that season one was in my mind was about as perfect as a show can get. Season 2 was a huge misstep, but the lovers refuse to say it's anything but as brilliant, even though there were obvious issues that they refuse to want to talk about. Those posters are usually classic liberals, in the dumbest sense of the word.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

Genuine toxic positivity is "You are not allowed to be unhappy, only happy. Someone always has it worse, so any human emotion other than happiness is not allowed."

Right. with twitter though, clearly that's generally not the problem. Everyone online too much is very, very rarely too positive. It's almost constant double checking you don't offend anyone, you have to be as "woke" (I mean that in the negative since, not in it's original meaning that has been co opted). as possible, and it's super dumb.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sandwolf posted:

I’d bet a million dollars that I do not have that 90% of Americans could not recognize Calvin Coolidge.

I thought it was Harding for longer than I should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Midnight Voyager posted: