Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I found it.. sort of

“When my child is born,” she said dryly, “you can both apply to be her wet nurse.” If her child was “her.” If Min had said, it was lost in Aviendha and Birgitte’s wine-hazed memories of that night. ”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
You get the actual viewing too, it's in the Min POV where she and Aviendha go drinking.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, it wasn't so much pre-coitus so much as durring coitus.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Democratic Pirate posted:

The Caemlyn servant’s roast sessions in the staff kitchen must have been so good when everyone thought Elayne was loving the ugliest dude in Andor.

I thought Hanlon was supposed to be good-looking

e: oh duh, you’re talking about Rand’s disguise

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

goethe.cx posted:

I thought Hanlon was supposed to be good-looking

No that was referring to when Rand came in disguise looking like the ugliest motherfucker alive.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That looks far less stupid than I always imagined it would.

I wonder if she's Suroth?

Could also be Egeanin, depending on how strictly they adhere to the head-shaving = rank, and/or when Egeanin gets promoted to the Blood in the TV show. Suroth seems just as likely tho, although I pictured her a little older.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hexel posted:

The only logical reason I can think of for excluding colored weaves would be cost. Maybe with a bigger budget for S2 that poo poo can be revisited :shrug:

It's entirely possible they just don't want to talk about the 5 powers in the show.

Like there's a bunch of technical narrator stuff about magic powers is constant for the reader, that I don't know they're going to be explicit about.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I expect that the Five Powers will still be a thing, but I think there's a couple of very simple reason to ditch the colored weaves.

First is consistency - even people that don't pay nit-picking attention often notice when an effect isn't the same every time you do a thing, and they need the support of the book fans who will absolutely go hard on a "when this fireball was thrown, you showed three Fires and one Air, but this fireball has an Earth and two Waters!" level of whine. That's not going to significantly hurt the show, but leaving everything pure white or corrupted black avoids that entirely.

The bigger issue is that trying to do colored weaves would probably get extremely visibly chaotic very quickly. Not just to the point of obscuring the character's actions (which, after all, is what is actually important), but quite possibly to the level of being extremely unpleasant to watch.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Hexel posted:

The only logical reason I can think of for excluding colored weaves would be cost. Maybe with a bigger budget for S2 that poo poo can be revisited :shrug:

Maybe they tried it and couldn't get it to look right. I can imagine a bunch of colors swirling around might be hard to follow or just look bad on screen, so they went with just straight white as it showed up more cleanly/clearly.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It also significantly complicates the real world lighting needs if you have 5 colors.

I can see them doing the colors as the wonder girls are learning, but like when they spin the multiple colored threads it snaps into the white misty stuff we got in season 1. Showing them learning the nuts and bolts of what they are doing.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

silvergoose posted:

Horns like a goat

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

“some place called Shibouya, supposedly beyond the Aiel Waste, where women who could channel had tattooed faces, over three hundred crimes carried a penalty of death, and giants lived under the mountains, men taller than Ogier, with their faces on their bellies. He claimed to have been there. ”

Is this a real place in Randland or a Jain Farstrider embellishment? Do they have this kind of poo poo in the companion?

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Hexel posted:

“some place called Shibouya, supposedly beyond the Aiel Waste, where women who could channel had tattooed faces, over three hundred crimes carried a penalty of death, and giants lived under the mountains, men taller than Ogier, with their faces on their bellies. He claimed to have been there. ”

Is this a real place in Randland or a Jain Farstrider embellishment? Do they have this kind of poo poo in the companion?

The face tattoos made me think of: https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Ayyad

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’ve heard some weeb stories about Shibuya but not the Krang giants

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Data Graham posted:

I’ve heard some weeb stories about Shibuya but not the Krang giants

Probably haradashi or one of any number of surprisingly cool oni and/or headless men (acephaloi?) it's a pretty common myth apparently.

Haradashi are just this big human bodies sometimes with a fake head but a friendly face on the belly that visit lonely people to keep them company and like to make people laugh.

They're like a much less creepy flasher, they'll walk up, you think they're just a normal person, then they rip their clothes open and BIG LAUGHING FACE ON THE GUT and then they do a dance and run away.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 22, 2022

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Brolander posted:

The face tattoos made me think of: https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Ayyad

Oh it's definitely Shara, with embellishment of course, he's a storyteller!

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Hexel posted:

Shibouya is one of the many names for Shara. The tattoos and death penalty are probably accurate, maybe not the giants

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I forgot about Ajimbura but he owns. Comes from a race of hill people and drinks from human skulls

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

goethe.cx posted:

I forgot about Ajimbura but he owns. Comes from a race of hill people and drinks from human skulls

When Karede meets some other general on his hunt for Tuon and the other general is like "Yeah don't mind this weirdo, been in the family for generations" it's pretty funny.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm 3 hours into the audiobook for book 11 and think I'm still in the prologue. Holy poo poo.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm 3 hours into the audiobook for book 11 and think I'm still in the prologue. Holy poo poo.

The prologues get *so loving long*.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

thinking again about the golden crane chapter in the book 11 audiobook…that’s the good poo poo

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm nearing the end of aMoL right now and drat have the Sanderson books been good overall. Yeah there are issues, but he successfully knocks down most of the dominoes and there are some amazing scenes

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

NinjaDebugger posted:

Probably haradashi or one of any number of surprisingly cool oni and/or headless men (acephaloi?) it's a pretty common myth apparently.

Haradashi are just this big human bodies sometimes with a fake head but a friendly face on the belly that visit lonely people to keep them company and like to make people laugh.

They're like a much less creepy flasher, they'll walk up, you think they're just a normal person, then they rip their clothes open and BIG LAUGHING FACE ON THE GUT and then they do a dance and run away.

I thought it might be related to that one tree man's head that was chilling in the cave where Demandred found his sa'angreal. It doesn't really make logical sense, but it was still alive and maybe Jain saw it when he was compelled to work for the Forsaken.

The rest is definitely Shara though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

seaborgium posted:

I thought it might be related to that one tree man's head that was chilling in the cave where Demandred found his sa'angreal. It doesn't really make logical sense, but it was still alive and maybe Jain saw it when he was compelled to work for the Forsaken.

The rest is definitely Shara though.

huh I never read river of souls somehow, I should do that.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm nearing the end of aMoL right now and drat have the Sanderson books been good overall. Yeah there are issues, but he successfully knocks down most of the dominoes and there are some amazing scenes

They're very satisfying even when they are inconsistent. Reading them has been very relieving to finally get natural conclusions to various internal conflicts, like Perrins 's wolf stuff.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

silvergoose posted:

huh I never read river of souls somehow, I should do that.

I just googled this and it's a part of the Unfettered anthology from Grim Oak Press

$2.99 on kindle :toot:

https://grimoakpress.com/products/unfettered-edited-by-shawn-speakman?variant=39837493395510

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hexel posted:

I just googled this and it's a part of the Unfettered anthology from Grim Oak Press

$200 and sold out :ohdear:

$2.99 on kindle though :toot:

https://grimoakpress.com/products/unfettered-edited-by-shawn-speakman?variant=39837493395510

yeah I read up on the "demandred finds the scepter" on the wot wiki and was like...what is this??

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Got some hawt Bao the Wyld action planned for this evening

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Hexel posted:

Got some hawt Bao the Wyld action planned for this evening

bao chicka bao bao

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

“Through it all, he had sought this one object for a single purpose. Finally, Lews Therin, thought Bao—once named Berid Bel, and later called Demandred, now reborn as the savior of the Sharan people. Finally, I have the power to destroy you.”

It was pretty good :toot:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

We got our Elyas confirmation today for S2 and it's not even WoT Wednesday yet! Gary Beadle as suspected, now confirmed.

https://www.wotseries.com/2022/02/22/gary-beadles-role-revealed/

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Hey who is Mesaana disguised as in the tower? I dont wanna sift through decades of theoryland posts :ohdear:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Me

Also Danelle, who cleverly, barely ever shows her loving face.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Who is sending these messages to Rand in Far Madding:

“I know who you are, and I wish you well, but I also wish you gone from Far Madding. The Dragon Reborn leaves death and destruction where he steps. I now know why you are here, too. You killed Rochaid, and Kisman also is dead. Torval and Gedwyn have taken the top floor above a bootmaker named Zeram on Blue Carp Street, just above the Illian Gate. Kill them and go, and leave Far Madding in peace.” ?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That was Fain

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Yep, it was also a trap. Fain was waiting for him at the bootmaker's shop.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Me

Also Danelle, who cleverly, barely ever shows her loving face.

Right before Siuan was deposed, she was reading a memo and getting pissed at Danelle for wasting so much money hiring shitloads of workman for construction on the library. She remains a background character in the early parts of the coup and then just mostly fades into the background as a random Brown sister

Tinydryad
Aug 13, 2004

This newb claimed by ChlamydiaJones; remember, bad things happen in theaters sometimes.

A Crown Of Swords: Everyone Drinks Punch Now.
So much punch. It's punch all the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Tinydryad posted:

A Crown Of Swords: Everyone Drinks Punch Now.
So much punch. It's punch all the way down.

I noticed the punch party sneaking in during Lord of Chaos at the latest. With Aes Sedai preferring mint and floral tea. Sometimes with context that it's still uncomfortably warm given the unseasonable weather, but just enough to make it come to mind the rest of the time.