Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Man I had no idea agents could close portals :psyduck:

This means I no longer need to have dedicated home defense forces looking out for chaos portal spam. One or two agents will do the trick just fine while my armies go elsewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm starting to think that minor settlement battles and sieges were designed this way on purpose just to mess with ranged armies.

I approve.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Doomykins posted:

Huh. I camped out my Cathay campaign before calling it as a lost and Skarbrand was in there within 4 turns of getting his last soul. Were you beating your enemies up on the campaign map too?

The other Chaos factions came in occasionally but I was never in much direct conflict with them, they could certainly have been fighting elsewhere though. I wonder if Skarbrand is better able to hold an army together because of a stronger autoresolve.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I haven't found major issues with pathfinding in the cities, although I am a big fan of frequent pauses to get my guys organized even in field battles. My only real issue with them has been the camera in the bridge-heavy Cathay settlements, it's a pain to try to engage if your units are under on one side and the enemy's are under on the other.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm starting to think that minor settlement battles and sieges were designed this way on purpose just to mess with ranged armies.

If they are, they failed pretty miserably, because having ranged units is a titanic advantage in them. Ranged units can usually arc fire over walls to support adjacent lanes and if you can take any sort of open space town square you can line your dudes up and focus fire just fine. Ranged units are also the easiest way to permanently shut down the towers everyone hates until you can take the objective controlling them. It's slightly more obnoxious doing the classic "select all range and click a unit to delete it" in city streets but you're still pumping a huge amount of DPS so it doesn't really matter.

I guess it's a nerf to 100% ranged armies with no melee units but three of the ranged-haver factions rely heavily on hybrid melee/ranged units, and the only faction with pure dedicated ranged units(Cathay) gets huge stat bonuses for sprinkling in some melee, so....

Kanos fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 21, 2022

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Also at least a few of the city maps allow for layered fire so you can just unload all your ranged units on whoever is coming down the alley, meanwhile Melee only sieges are a slog while you get plinked by infinite towers.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Is there a way to unlock the camera lock during battles? I turn it off in every total war game but can't seem to find the option in this one.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Kanos posted:

If they are, they failed pretty miserably, because having ranged units is a titanic advantage in them. Ranged units can usually arc fire over walls to support adjacent lanes and if you can take any sort of open space town square you can line your dudes up and focus fire just fine. Ranged units are also the easiest way to permanently shut down the towers everyone hates until you can take the objective controlling them. It's slightly more obnoxious doing the classic "select all range and click a unit to delete it" in city streets but you're still pumping a huge amount of DPS so it doesn't really matter.

I guess it's a nerf to 100% ranged armies with no melee units but three of the ranged-haver factions rely heavily on hybrid melee/ranged units, and the only faction with pure dedicated ranged units(Cathay) gets huge stat bonuses for sprinkling in some melee, so....

Archers with good arch fire? Absolutely, they sre great, however units with poor arc of fire get it rougher, it's also very map dependent. I guess I'm just frustrated after several battles as the attacker in lovely settlement maps :v:

The lesson here is that I should use more offensive melee units than I used to in Wh2.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I generally like the idea of the more focused campaigns as contrasted with the ME style sandbox and am glad there will be both. On the other hand, holy hell Tzeentch's realm feels like rear end. The way your movement just stops every time you portal is maddening and about the only way I can see doing this is to find the route to the proper teleporter (and I'll be honest, I'm struggling to see those icons sometimes) and then just go back to the beginning and save scum it. It honestly wouldn't be bad if you could move faster.

On the other hand I suppose it guarantees every LL will get the campaigner trait.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Insurrectionist posted:

I got to turn 70 with Ogres on my campaign and I just kind of petered out so here is my lengthy and unasked for review of playing this faction. The Realm of Chaos stuff didn't engage me, but honestly I just completely ignored it and it mostly didn't matter since obviously I was nowhere near the lose condition that early on. And I could autoresolve the invading demon armies attacking my T3 settlement garrisons, though that might change with later spawns.

The biggest issue for me was 100% battles. I just did not have fun with them at all. The primary culprit was settlement battles. They were just all chores. In my 70 turns I fought 26 battles, not counting autoresolves. One of those was a field battle, because my ally was in range to attack an army I was pursuing and I got to join in. It was ok but we completely outnumbered and outgunned the opponent so combined with the reinforcement timer, all I could really do was send my units towards the battle-lines and basically instantly win once they got there.

Of the remaining 25 battles, 4 were walled settlement sieges. Three of these were boring. I completely outnumbered and outgunned the settlement garrison, but because of towers (on walls and inside) I took probably 60% casualties and ended with Pyrrhic victories, as my Ogres bumbled about running into each-other constantly and loving up pathfinding. Ogres have bonkers casualty replenishment so this would usually only mean a single turn spent sitting around before moving on, but making sure none of my units got wiped out was definitely tedious. The last one had a bit more of a defensive force and was therefore ludicrously hard. The fact that Ogres have no useful artillery for this before T5 makes it tougher - the scrap throwers are fine at killing units but utter garbage vs towers.

Another 4 were defensive settlement battles. Two of those were an enemy 20 stack against a basic settlement garrison, not actually worth fighting but it was early on and I didn't have a feel for how much I could defend against. The other two were kinda fun!

17 of my 26 battles were me attacking minor settlements. Some were easy. Some were hard. Maybe two were any kind of fun. All involved absolute pathfinding shitshows, constant guesswork about whether my units could shoot at the supply towers (often, moving them around to the other side of the tower did the trick!). I was really excited for minor settlement fights for this game - while I didn't play Troy much, I had a fair amount of fun with them in that game. I kinda hate them now. I would hate them less if they were 10% of my battles instead of 80%.

At no point in the campaign was I able to initiate a field battle. I know about the baiting lord + ambush trick, but it feels cheap and given I need armies to defend multiple parts of my empire and I play on VH with no 5k initial buffer, I wasn't able to justify the extra lord + supply lines cost for most of this time either. Also, Greasus has a poo poo ambush success chance in general, and keeps getting followed by agents that I cannot assassinate - I have tried like 10 times with 45 - 60% success chance and never succeeded, didn't have this kinda trouble with it in the last game.

I dunno, the experience just sucked. The last 15 turns I mostly just autoresolved poo poo. I spent 4 turns sieging a city so I could autoresolve it instead of fight it even though it only had the garrison in there, and I kinda realized that is the opposite of what the game should be about. I'll just play Elden Ring and wait for updates and/or IE.

E: This was on VH/Normal, I usually played TWW2 on the same or VH/H. I didn't really have any issues with the campaign part besides finding the Realm of Chaos unengaging, it was suitably challenging and reasonably fun.

Go in the realms of chaos, its full of field battles.

I haven't had that much trouble with ogre pathfinding or such a high casualty rate, what was your approach to the sieges? Units/deployment plan?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Ravenfood posted:

I generally like the idea of the more focused campaigns as contrasted with the ME style sandbox and am glad there will be both. On the other hand, holy hell Tzeentch's realm feels like rear end. The way your movement just stops every time you portal is maddening and about the only way I can see doing this is to find the route to the proper teleporter (and I'll be honest, I'm struggling to see those icons sometimes) and then just go back to the beginning and save scum it. It honestly wouldn't be bad if you could move faster.

On the other hand I suppose it guarantees every LL will get the campaigner trait.

I just misclicked through a portal and lost two turns, which would be fine, except the daemon prince who showed up 6 turns after me had somehow already made it to the final portal. And I'd spent the 2 turns from the misclick turning autoresolve defeats into wins. This is awful.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Man going through Slaanesh's realm is rough. Miao Ying is some kind of weird pain pervert now. At least I'm beating Greasus there, and every fight keeps putting my crane gunners and Sky Junk on a big cliff where they can fire down on the poor daemonettes that just run into my brave peasant spearmen.

If the other realms are worse I can see the idea of giving them more rewards in play. I think the better idea would probably be to just get rid of the mechanic where it kicks other factions out if you or they get the demon soul - emphasis the thunderdome nature of it by encouraging the legendary lord armies to get into fights to stop each other.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I was thinking the Chaos Realms should incentivize using rifts to go gently caress up people getting ahead of you outside of spite killing them or trying to do a full faction wipe. Maybe if souls could be intercepted or stolen? Gimme a reason to teleport across the world to accelerate winning the campaign or at least deal with the realms where if you don't show up first you've already lost.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
If someone is way ahead in the race just use the rift to teleport your LL to their capital and gently caress their place up while they're gone.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I really cheaty Cathay campaign last night with the edited script to stop rifts appearing (this doesn't work by the way they still appeared but I can just rush through and close them in one turn) and a cheat engine table. I owned all of Cathay and the bastions besides two regions with a Cathay faction I had a non-aggression pact with (that I grabbed 10 turns later) and Miao Yings starting region on turn 1. It was all completely maxed out for growth and building levels with about 8 doom stacks and level 50 agents everywhere by turn 20. I am the top power in the world by a lot. I have 500 positive relations with Miao Ying and she still won't confederate! She has one region. Why did they hardcode the siblings to not confederate? Why?

Njashi9
Nov 2, 2012
Finished a normal campaign as Katarina. The final battle was a long, painful slog. It had a horrifying moment where the bar stopped progressing at like 3% because there were some "required" monster left that had decided to gently caress off somewhere on the map rather than charge the line with the rest, thought for a second that I had to restart the whole loving thing.

I do appreciate though the little reward you get in the post game, if only for the flavor. Speaking of, how do you unlock the third legendary lord for Kieslev?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Njashi9 posted:

Finished a normal campaign as Katarina. The final battle was a long, painful slog. It had a horrifying moment where the bar stopped progressing at like 3% because there were some "required" monster left that had decided to gently caress off somewhere on the map rather than charge the line with the rest, thought for a second that I had to restart the whole loving thing.

I do appreciate though the little reward you get in the post game, if only for the flavor. Speaking of, how do you unlock the third legendary lord for Kieslev?

hold the 3 cities of kislev for 10 turns and do battle

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

my katerina campaign was going well with two daemon souls, i've got a highly developed eastern half of kislev and am about to confederate the orthodoxy w/ the other half, but fuuuuuck turns out being next to the chaos wastes blows. just constant nurgle and khorne invasions across the frozen sea into the gianthome mountains. i should never have got rid of those dawi. oh and manny woke up and wants a piece of my rear end now too

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I feel the Slaneesh rewards are a bit too much. I don't think they should nerf them though, but maybe give them some slightly more severe downsides to go with.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

I feel the Slaneesh rewards are a bit too much. I don't think they should nerf them though, but maybe give them some slightly more severe downsides to go with.

Then no one will ever take them.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Hunt11 posted:

Uh, have you actually seen what these rewards are?

Edit: A lot of people seem to just beeline for Slaanesh realm as soon as possible right now just to superboost their playthrough, no matter which faction.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Hunt11 posted:

I think the idea is to make it an actual trade off with consequences, like deals with the devil generally are in fiction, instead of just holy poo poo what a great deal. Yeah, you won't get a soul if you take it, but people are going in even when they don't want souls just to grab goodies, or claiming them even after being beaten to the soul by the AI, because there's no significant consequence.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
What's the deal with the items in chaos realms? Is the full heal guaranteed every time i pick one up or no? And is it supposed to only allow picking up one per visit?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The consequence for taking Slaneesh's bribes is that you won't get a soul that cycle and the AI will.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Azran posted:

The consequence for taking Slaneesh's bribes is that you won't get a soul that cycle and the AI will.

Pretty sure I addressed that in my post.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Sinteres posted:

I think the idea is to make it an actual trade off with consequences, like deals with the devil generally are in fiction, instead of just holy poo poo what a great deal. Yeah, you won't get a soul if you take it, but people are going in even when they don't want souls just to grab goodies, or claiming them even after being beaten to the soul by the AI, because there's no significant consequence.

No significant consequence except for falling at least 15-20 turns behind in a race that ends the campaign if you lose?

“But that’s not a real consequence because it doesn’t affect me right here and now” -everyone who’s ever taken a deal with the devil, probably

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Sinteres posted:

Then people won't take it.

CA tested this. People didn't take it. People are only distracted from doing the objective by truly massive amounts of shinies. They kept increasing it until people would take it.

Now you might say that the problem is that people are overvaluing the objective and undervaluing the rewards but if its wanted to be an actual choice people make then they need to take that into account. I've absolutely gone in with the intent of taking the reward and gone "you know what i'm here, lets just get the objective sorted", so I kinda feel like the rewards might not be high enough.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Playing Nurgle is actually surprisingly fun! Except for the whole race for the souls mechanic which made me realize how bad a "Slow and steady" Faction is at racing for objectives

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Koramei posted:

Is there a way to unlock the camera lock during battles? I turn it off in every total war game but can't seem to find the option in this one.

Google for debug camera for war3 and see if that is what you want

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Prop Wash posted:

No significant consequence except for falling at least 15-20 turns behind in a race that ends the campaign if you lose?

“But that’s not a real consequence because it doesn’t affect me right here and now” -everyone who’s ever taken a deal with the devil, probably

What's with people only reading half of a post before they respond to it?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Who voiced Ku'gath? Like all the voice acting is good but Ku'gath's VA is incredible :allears: His cadence as a happy horrific plague daemon is perfect.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 22, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

How!
Oct 29, 2009

I feel like kislev should have huskies.

And Cathay should have a hound unit. Maybe some angry Chows? Or a hundred poo poo-tzus?

Hound units are the best because they eat archers for lunch.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

I always love this image whenever it pops up

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I am pro-tower since it let me kill 2400 Imperials by letting them walk near the capture box only to get charged from both sides by ogres and shot by two towers, over and over again. But I also play on normal and that's anything goes, I guess

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Sinteres posted:

What's with people only reading half of a post before they respond to it?

Well the other half is this

"or claiming them even after being beaten to the soul by the AI,"

which is straight up wrong. When someone completes the rift everyone inside gets kicked out. So you can't do that.

If you mean going in during the next set of rifts then there's a new soul to claim, so you are still giving up on the soul for that set of rifts.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Oh okay I was mistaken then so my bad but there are still situations where you know you're going to lose and grab one to get something out of it, and that's cost free. It's admittedly not the number one priority to balance around, and certainly not near the top of my list of things they need to address overall though.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
It is valid to get a reward and get out if you know for certain you can't win it. Though if you haven't left the starting portal you can actually just jump into another realm. I haven't tried going back up in slaanesh's realm so it might be possible to return?

Even if you can't get to another realm there's still "can I make it to the reward I want" as a risk, as well as the possibility of them actually taking a reward themselves and leaving you feeling like an idiot for leaving and claiming a minor reward.

I've not seen the AI lose a stronghold battle though, so if they are actually in that bottom circle then definitely get out immediately, but that is very edge case.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I've decided the proper Khorne thing to do is instead of using agents to close rifts, it will be Heralds. The survivors will become my Exalted Bloodthirster Generals. If I grow fond of some, I may toss them a unit or two.

This hilarious moment when the bray shaman cast bray scream at my summoned bloodletters but it rebounded off the summoning portal into his own ungors but I didn't catch it just the aftermath

In the Khorne survival battle the lightning flashes revealing the face of Father Khorne himself.

Also, in the Khorne realm the battle map that is the sort of Quidditch Arena from hell with the blood fountain in the middle is loving inspired. Like melee has to wade through the blood pools to reach your elevated position with structures on the edges high enough to block missile fire into any anti flanking troops you want to position there. It's like the perfect defensive position. Hopefully you don't have to attack the mirror on the other side. It's so Khorne I could scream. I am in love with this game and I feel like it's in the details. And there are a billion details. Five years of details. I can't get enough of these demon factions having nuances that reward you for playing like a bloodthirsty lunatic, obsessed with overpowered plagues, doing weird rear end poo poo, or loving with everybody else as you charge in behind. I have also lucked out and if I don't alt tab I am problem free. This is with two 1070 GTXs in SLI that I know are out of date but this thing is honestly running better than 2 for me. There's a scattering of bugs. Some pathfinding makes me want to scream, but it's balanced out 20 seconds later by something cool. Every time I see a detail I want to share it but I can't alt tab so sorry I'm just gonna play more.

Twigand Berries fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Me watching the thread complain about Tzeentch portals ands bad AI pathing while I don’t have a PC that can run the game.