Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

buglord posted:

I’m wondering what big feature TS5 would have that would get me really involved again. I’m kinda pessimistic about the entire thing.

driving your own car in first person mode

And guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Waterbed Wendy posted:

driving your own car in first person mode

And guns

I'm glad that there are no guns in TS4, but speaking of weapons: A Sims: Medieval 2 would be cool.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Multi-tasking was the main new feature in TS4.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

PizzaProwler posted:

Multi-tasking was the main new feature in TS4.

Yeah, the ability to eat lunch and hold a conversation with a roommate at the same time and fill both the hunger and social bars was going to be revolutionary.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I don't feel much nostalgia for TS3 - except maybe the plaid cars and implementing story progression, although mods were better than the vanilla version.

Aside from that, TS3 ran like dogshit after you included more than a few expansions which all conflicted with each other, or at least the loading times were. There's now fan-made mods which apparently deal with that, but I'm not going back to it. I get the feeling they gave up on TS3 and rebuilt most of the underlying systems from scratch because of that. At least TS4 is more robust with that, even if it's at the compromise of breaking the worlds down into smaller neighbourhoods.

TS2 I can get the love for, because the character models were better than in TS3, but it still felt a bit constrained.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Ardeem posted:

Yeah, the ability to eat lunch and hold a conversation with a roommate at the same time and fill both the hunger and social bars was going to be revolutionary.

TS2 did that from launch :confused:

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

The Deadly Hume posted:

I don't feel much nostalgia for TS3 - except maybe the plaid cars and implementing story progression, although mods were better than the vanilla version.

Aside from that, TS3 ran like dogshit after you included more than a few expansions which all conflicted with each other, or at least the loading times were. There's now fan-made mods which apparently deal with that, but I'm not going back to it. I get the feeling they gave up on TS3 and rebuilt most of the underlying systems from scratch because of that. At least TS4 is more robust with that, even if it's at the compromise of breaking the worlds down into smaller neighbourhoods.

TS2 I can get the love for, because the character models were better than in TS3, but it still felt a bit constrained.

TS2 is pure nostalgia for me at this point. That soundtrack still gets stuck in my head decades later.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Ardeem posted:

Just thought I'd bring it up since no one had yet. Don't know why you're giving me attitude about it.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Waterbed Wendy posted:

TS2 is pure nostalgia for me at this point. That soundtrack still gets stuck in my head decades later.
Oh man, the Metal station.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

PizzaProwler posted:

Just thought I'd bring it up since no one had yet. Don't know why you're giving me attitude about it.

Wasn't trying to give you guff, just remembering that it broke almost immediately and there are still glitches with sims trying to multitask incompatable jobs and leaving half finished meals everywhere.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Ok, my bad, I misinterpreted tone :)

Yeah, the multi-tasking was/is really buggy. That being said, I'm often surprised how much I miss it when I boot up TS2 and TS3.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Build mode is the biggest improvement from 3 to 4 imo

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Does TS4 still have the thing where sims leave water glasses laying around to eventually become smelly water

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah I genuinely love 4 tbh. It’s just this last pack release where I’ve gotten an inkling of maybe this game is dead. It also helps that I mostly build and rarely go live.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I agree that build mode is significantly better, also some of the interactions are also good. But the live mode lost any hint of conflict or emergent behaviors that made T2 and T3 fun to play on live mode. The lack of memories, asynchronous social relationships, fun financial/career challenges, and the introductions of moodlets that dominate the sim mood despite all other surroundings creates this oddly anodyne world that is charming at first but quickly feels shallow. The content expansions added more stuff to do and the performance of the game itself is impressive, but it doesn't have that hook that the previous ones did imo. It's an odd flanderization of the quirky, often dark Maxis flavor that the previous games had that made them engaging.

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 22, 2022

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Sims 4 is bad because I can't learn ninjutsu in China (???) and unlock the ability to teleport.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

Sims 4 is bad because I can't learn ninjutsu in China (???) and unlock the ability to teleport.

Alternatively: Meditate and have enough inner peace to teleport

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The martial arts stuff in TS3: Vacations was badass, some fun animations there.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

As much as TS3's open world was amazing I honestly still prefer TS4 on the whole. Mainly from:

1. I can't go back to no multitasking.

2. TS4's Sims have issues visually but they're a huge upgrade from TS3's weird shiny pudding face people.

3. Performance and bugs. TS3 was a shitshow when it came to performance. Like downloading modded worlds that fixed the pathing was basically mandatory. Remember when EA officially told people not to install too many expansions at once because the game couldn't handle it? For all the issues TS4 has, TS3 was by faaaar worse in my experience.

gently caress, I'll never forget the time TS3 decided to infinitely spawn butlers on the same tile so my game chugged to a halt while a dozen plus bulters melded into a Cronenberg of butlerflesh until my game died.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Give me a better looking 4 and bring back create a style and I'll buy 5 pretty much immediately.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I thought the new pack wasnt out till the 23rd

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I just figured out that the basic repair spell from the magic pack fixes all the broken poo poo you pull out of the eco lifestyle dumpster and now I sort of want to buy get to work so I can sell furniture without feeling so cheaty selling it from household inventory still burnt. Now I'm wondering if there's other weird/obvious pack interactions I've missed.

New pack isn't out, but a lot of influencers get the packs unlocked early for review and hype, or in this case bad reviews and less hype.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Omnicarus posted:

The martial arts stuff in TS3: Vacations was badass, some fun animations there.

I had World Adventures loaded in my latest play through and it was great when adventuring, but miserable in the home world. Too many goddamn tourists.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Omnicarus posted:

I agree that build mode is significantly better, also some of the interactions are also good. But the live mode lost any hint of conflict or emergent behaviors that made T2 and T3 fun to play on live mode. The lack of memories, asynchronous social relationships, fun financial/career challenges, and the introductions of moodlets that dominate the sim mood despite all other surroundings creates this oddly anodyne world that is charming at first but quickly feels shallow. The content expansions added more stuff to do and the performance of the game itself is impressive, but it doesn't have that hook that the previous ones did imo. It's an odd flanderization of the quirky, often dark Maxis flavor that the previous games had that made them engaging.

100% this imo. Emotions/moodlets flattened most of the actual personality the Sims and their actions had. I had a big turnaround moment in my attitude towards 4 when one of my Sims got caught cheating but his wife forgave him and forgot about the whole thing in an afternoon because she took a relaxing mud bath in a pretty room. Part of it is that a lot of the emotions/moodlets are balanced imo pretty poorly, but honestly I think the whole system just doesn't work well with creating interesting relationship stories. These past few years I've been going back to Sims 2 a bunch and while I'll admit nostalgia likely carries it a long way for me, in terms of their actual behavior/personality I haven't missed anything from Sims 4 at all. Traits in 4 were always super shallow, and 2's memories system + needs actually simulated emotions pretty well already; sims did get sad and happy and angry back then too.

When I'm roleplaying a single renaissance sim and dabbling in all the various activities the games have to offer, 4 is definitely the best of the bunch, and when I'm playing 2 I do find myself missing that stuff a lot. But for an actual interpersonal relationship simulator the series has taken a few huge steps back. Both definitely have their strengths, and I think a lot of the depth of the systems in 2 weren't as immediately apparent as some of the cool stuff in 4 so I think the devs have been emphasizing the kinda wish fulfillment aspects of the series more which I guess resonates with more fans. But it does feel like a shame.

The other big thing that 4 catches a lot of flack for compared to 2 sounds dumb at first but imo (and clearly lots of peoples' given the dozens of youtube videos on this) is actually super important for a game where you're watching sims the entire time -- all the little touches. How every repair interaction in 2 had a specific tool and animation, and the sim would even turn e.g. the TV around and you'd have to re-place it; in 4 they just wack everything with a wrench as water/sparks come out. How games of chess would actually be entirely legal moves, or how couples would cuddle in bed, or sims would turn their heads when someone entered a room, etc etc. There are dozens and dozens of examples that have been exhaustively catalogued in at this point, but they all come together to make the world in Sims 2 much livelier. For a while I thought the way I used to just chill and look at my sims doing things in 2 was just because I was younger, but having gone back to it, no, it really is just much more fun to watch.
To be fair though I feel like the Sims 4 team has been hearing that criticism lately and adding more of that kind of stuff in again.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

what's funny about sims 4 is that the marketing pre-release really hyped out the wacky shenangians sims could get up to and how much personality they would when the reality is nobody will do anything on their own without any kind of input or pushing and leaving sims to do their own thing has never been more boring, on top of every sim basically acting the same regardless of how their personality traits were aligned

bring back the personality meters from 1+2, imo

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What was also a letdown was how little moods/emotions seemed to have mattered. Easily adjusted, no real impact on how things unfolded. Although it was really cool making a hall way filled with mood-modifying playful paintings that made some sims literally laugh themselves to death when walking through it.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Simsmagic posted:

what's funny about sims 4 is that the marketing pre-release really hyped out the wacky shenangians sims could get up to and how much personality they would when the reality is nobody will do anything on their own without any kind of input or pushing and leaving sims to do their own thing has never been more boring, on top of every sim basically acting the same regardless of how their personality traits were aligned

They also really hyped the ability to die from laughter and such, and from the get-go that sounded like something that would be anti-fun.

I couldn't tell if I didn't get it, or if they didn't get it, but it was an immediate, confusing turnoff.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Simsmagic posted:

Leave a Sims 4 Sim alone and they will just endlessly pour themselves glasses of water to drink

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

oh jay posted:

They also really hyped the ability to die from laughter and such, and from the get-go that sounded like something that would be anti-fun.

There was in general such a huge emphasis on zany wackiness. I think that poster before had it with flanderizarion; there was always an undercurrent of insane stuff in The Sims, but on top of a solidly mundane foundation. Your sims and their neighbors could do their boring office jobs, but then come home and if you chose to go for a jaunt in the haunted graveyard or brew potions. When 4 shipped, iirc all but like 1(?) of the base careers was like international secret agent, pro gamer, astronaut, and the vanilla neighborhood had giant steam ships and stuff.
It’s the mundanity of most stuff that makes the weird stuff so much more engaging when it happens, and sims 4 on launch especially totally missed that.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Koramei posted:

...and the vanilla neighborhood had giant steam ships and stuff...

The biggest crime of 4 is that they stuffed the giant dinosaur diner in the desert neighborhood off in the goddamn skybox.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Simsmagic posted:

I remember LGR's video when Sims 4 first came out and the screen during installation was going real hard with the "Look at how wacky sims can get!". This was actually the start menu, just a screen of Sims doing wacky things. Then you play the game and everyone either drinks water, dances at a radio or does pushups.

Leal fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 22, 2022

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Am I crazy or did TS2 also have multitasking? Or at least the ability to talk to other Sims while doing various tasks? That said I definitely missed it in 3 and like it in 4. The build mode stuff and overall optimization is also great.

I miss the little wishes from TS3, they always gave you something to do and were kind of gamey to optimise. Moodlets by themselves aren't really doing much, they get scared when it storms, but just have them distracted and they'll forget all about it. Oh yeah, and anytime you let them idle they'll get a glass of water and drop it somewhere.

I also don't know why they removed the carpool for going to work, even if they didn't want cars it was pretty crazy to go from "too early to go to work" to "coming late" in a minute without any time to brush your teeth or whatever. Especially noticeable in e.g. the decorator career where it's really difficult to go to work if you don't drop everything the second the prompt comes up.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

pidan posted:

I miss the little wishes from TS3, they always gave you something to do and were kind of gamey to optimise.

This is something I preferred in 3 to 4. In 4 it feels like the whims are just completely random and whatever is currently happening (being near a friend or on a date) just adds extra whims to the rotation, but you'll still get a lot of the other things. And didn't EA eventually make whims off by default cause they couldn't really get it to work right? Live in an apartment? Your sim will want to give keys to everyone they know. Wanting an item they do have at home, but they don't know it cause you're visiting another lot.

In 3 the wishes seemed to be based on what is currently happening. Breakfast time? Your sim will wish to have pancakes or something. At the park? Your sim will want to collect a bug. Your sim's SO cheat on them? Well now they want to see the ghost of the cheater. Maybe it feels better because not only could you hold onto 4 wishes, compared to 4's 2 whims and 1 mood related whim, but you could get multiple wishes in queue that would hang around for a bit that you could do without needing to promise them, and it also mean that, on top of getting wishes that are trait related, it also let wishes show up that are context related.

VVVV Yes, that. THAT.

Leal fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Feb 22, 2022

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
piss off game i'm not buying a bee box

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

And God forbid you send a pet away with one of the kids when they move out, the game thinks it still lives with you and you'll keep getting whims to buy a new squeaky toy or whatever.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I like TS2 the most tbh and that's the one I've been playing the most lately (since I got Ultimate Collection or whatever it's called). It's just perfect for my brain. It's really stupid but because sims are little computer people I've always been hesitant to impose my will too much, like I don't want to force them to do anything they might not be up to. And because sims in TS2 have so much personality I based my whole gameplay system around it. I especially like the chemistry mechanic, it's so complex and wonderful. I dunno, it's kinda like TS2 is working like a clockwork to me, where I make all the decisions I want to and let the sims decide on things I don't personally care about and it works? It's just my comfort game, I guess. I come back to TS3 from time to time because you can do some fun stuff there (and I managed to make it run somewhat well, that helps a lot). And I still haven't sunk my teeth in TS4 enough to make it my own, so to speak. I don't know what it could give me that 2&3 don't. Other than good CAS and build/buy, but these things are not a priority to me

pidan posted:

Am I crazy or did TS2 also have multitasking? Or at least the ability to talk to other Sims while doing various tasks? That said I definitely missed it in 3 and like it in 4. The build mode stuff and overall optimization is also great.

In 2 if they sit next to each other in one room they can talk, even if they do different things. So one might be watching TV, the other one eating, another one reading a book, but all of them have some small talk. It made family meals last FOREVER but as a person who used to have extremely long meals with my family when everyone was home, I kinda appreciate it

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

macabresca posted:

I like TS2 the most tbh and that's the one I've been playing the most lately (since I got Ultimate Collection or whatever it's called). It's just perfect for my brain. It's really stupid but because sims are little computer people I've always been hesitant to impose my will too much, like I don't want to force them to do anything they might not be up to. And because sims in TS2 have so much personality I based my whole gameplay system around it. I especially like the chemistry mechanic, it's so complex and wonderful. I dunno, it's kinda like TS2 is working like a clockwork to me, where I make all the decisions I want to and let the sims decide on things I don't personally care about and it works? It's just my comfort game, I guess. I come back to TS3 from time to time because you can do some fun stuff there (and I managed to make it run somewhat well, that helps a lot). And I still haven't sunk my teeth in TS4 enough to make it my own, so to speak. I don't know what it could give me that 2&3 don't. Other than good CAS and build/buy, but these things are not a priority to me

In 2 if they sit next to each other in one room they can talk, even if they do different things. So one might be watching TV, the other one eating, another one reading a book, but all of them have some small talk. It made family meals last FOREVER but as a person who used to have extremely long meals with my family when everyone was home, I kinda appreciate it

This inspired me to reinstall TS2 and it's incredible how dedicated some modders are to keeping TS2 alive on modern hardware. After a little bit of tweaking the settings the game does not look 18 years old at all

Just in case anyone else is looking to reinstall it, since it is abandonware at this point, this reddit was very helpful:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sims2help/comments/k4sfhp/please_read_this_first_wiki_and_getting_help/

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Omnicarus posted:

This inspired me to reinstall TS2 and it's incredible how dedicated some modders are to keeping TS2 alive on modern hardware. After a little bit of tweaking the settings the game does not look 18 years old at all

Just in case anyone else is looking to reinstall it, since it is abandonware at this point, this reddit was very helpful:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sims2help/comments/k4sfhp/please_read_this_first_wiki_and_getting_help/

There are also a lot of mods that fix some jankiness (because tbf sims 2 is pretty janky at places). I only started to mod this game a few months ago though, it holds up surprisingly well

One major flaw is that TS2 is very susceptible to corruption and reading a whole manual of how not to accidentally break the game is a bit of a turn-off for newcomers, I imagine. I've been lucky and never had major problems even before I knew that you can't e.g. delete sims from the bin but it is a common issue

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I like 4! I just am sick of my sims always dancing. It's to the point where I won't buy anything that plays music because I don't want them to dance all day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I like 4! I just am sick of my sims always dancing. It's to the point where I won't buy anything that plays music because I don't want them to dance all day!

If you put the radio on Classical or Talk Radio they can't dance to it, and since they won't turn off the radio or change the station themselves they won't spend the whole day dancing!

...They'll just spend it trolling the forums instead.