Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

I'm not sure what the music in question is, so I opted for a direct translation of the title.

Google seems to think it's part of the lyrics to Solveig's song from the Peer Gynt suite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Alhazred posted:

TegneHanne

They used to have candles that were encased in a plastic skull so if you lit them, the liquid (red) wax would spookily drip out the eyes and nose and I'm not sure I like the direction my brain is going with this

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

goatface posted:

The line weight on the ice has been bothering me all week. Did he copy and paste it to keep consistency in shape but not account for it resizing?

It's either that or he intended the ice too look prickly.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
A big problem with Kevin and Kell is that Holbrook tried to make this clunky rear end metaphor about this predator/prey relationship being analogous to an interracial marriage and the hellchild being an interracial child and how people can't accept this because harrumph change is bad and something something racism, except he undercuts himself at every opportunity by showing that this actually isn't the first successful predator/prey relationship and also when a civil rights group actually wants to make a big change to improve its lot in life said group is treated as a villainous terrorist organization.
Plus his horrible metaphor for transgenderism (I apologize if this isn't the right term) is just horrible and incredibly ill-conceived, especially because at one point the main group trapped and terrorized an, uh, rabbit to rodent trans individual to the point she detransitioned and this was treated as a good thing to do.

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 21, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Alhazred posted:

Seems like the girls are doing just fine by themselves. Maybe being female doesn't inherently make them more vulnerable than being male?

Also, why does the Phantom have so many different costumes just ready to go?

The way I figure it, being as generous as possible, the authors wanted Phantom watching over them same as he watched over the boys on the sailing trip, but since their journey is about defiant independence he can't do that directly so you get The Ghost Who Stalks.

If I were rewriting it I'd focus on the women adapting to the culture shock and communication barriers, one bit of trouble that they get themselves out of, and then they head home with a bunch of stories and wisdom and only then do you get a scene of Phantom and Heloise about how they were looking out just in case.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

goatface posted:

The line weight on the ice has been bothering me all week. Did he copy and paste it to keep consistency in shape but not account for it resizing?
It's hard to say if he did that all week, but that last one definitely looks off.

Alhazred posted:

Seems like the girls are doing just fine by themselves. Maybe being female doesn't inherently make them more vulnerable than being male?
I don't think it's just that they're women (although clearly that is part of it), but also that they have never been outside their tribal community and are completely oblivious to the dangers of the city.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I know the Morgans never get punished or ever *gasp* lose any kind of wealth, but it would be amusing if this is just a double-con where Rene ends up scuttling off with the money like a crab regardless.
Either the Morgans+Writer fall for the first, high cost scam, or they fall for the incredibly convenient guy popping up to solve all their issues, and give him a solid chunk of what they would otherwise have paid Rene to settle.

Never once stopping to consider how incredibly convenient it is that all their problems suddenly got fixed by some stranger who is familiar with the person attempting to scam them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Kazinsal posted:

I think most nicotine vapes are those giant bulky robot cocks but weed vapes tend to be long and thin because the cartridge is like two inches long and a quarter inch in diameter, and the batteries tend to be four inches long or so and the same diameter, so maybe she's getting baked?

I know I'd be constantly stoned out of my gourd if I lived in the Mary Worth universe.

Another angle, that doesn't help explain what it actually is.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bruceski posted:

The way I figure it, being as generous as possible, the authors wanted Phantom watching over them same as he watched over the boys on the sailing trip, but since their journey is about defiant independence he can't do that directly so you get The Ghost Who Stalks.

But again, the boys gets to fight armed pirates, the girls aren't expected to able to deal with one unarmed creep.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Calaveron posted:

A big problem with Kevin and Kell is that Holbrook tried to make this clunky rear end metaphor about this predator/prey relationship being analogous to an interracial marriage and the hellchild being an interracial child and how people can't accept this because harrumph change is bad and something something racism, except he undercuts himself at every opportunity by showing that this actually isn't the first successful predator/prey relationship and also when a civil rights group actually wants to make a big change to improve its lot in life said group is treated as a villainous terrorist organization.

It also didn't help that the Rabbit Council called Kevin to task for his marriage/child and the reason given was "She's a predator disguised as prey, giving her an unfair advantage and allowing her to kill us much easier." Which is absolutely a completely valid reason to want to ban predator/prey relationships and offspring. It muddies the metaphor because unlike the dumb poo poo that white supremacists come up with, it is literally true that she is murdering her fellow prey species by using her harmless appearance.

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

I still think the resolution to this is going to be "Grampa Happy is secretly also a fan of this internet rapper and they all go to the concert together."

:golfclap: I thought of this the second I saw the original and I'm glad someone else in this thread thought the same thing (and by someone I mean everyone).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nicely done. :golfclap:

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

(Just to be clear, Chako remembering the cat willed it into existence in her world.)

Night Visitors

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Dustin with the long covid early onset neurological diseases and or exacerbated conditions.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
The "live" news feed they're watching in Uramachi Sakaba being on a several minute long delay is a nice touch.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Ardeem posted:

The "live" news feed they're watching in Uramachi Sakaba being on a several minute long delay is a nice touch.
LMAO I completely missed that, that's great.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Giant Ethicist posted:

Uramachi Sakaba

ChaCha Chako

(Just to be clear, Chako remembering the cat willed it into existence in her world.)

It’s literally the only thing that has ever made sense with this comic.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
b]Pickles[/b]

Zits

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: La Machine

Do I continue tomorrow with The Long Lever? You tell me!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm always pleased to see Modesty Blaise in this thread, if you're willing to continue.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Transmodiar posted:

Do I continue tomorrow with The Long Lever? You tell me!

By all means, please do.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! March 4, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True March 4, 1919

Gay and Her Gang March 19, 1930

Oaky Doaks August 17, 1936

Mopsy October 25, 1937

Up Front January 2, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems April 30, 1952

Those Were the Days January 1, 1959

Wee Pals May 9, 1966

Dogbert December 21, 1966

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The thing with Holbrook's comics, all his comics, is the base idea that whatever the protagonists/his favorites/Mary Sues do, is Good. No matter what. Anything anyone who opposes them does is BAD.

Sometimes those who oppose see the light and join with the Good, but not all the time.

Doesn't matter what the Bad opposes, if it is against the Good, they're evil and petty and nasty and deserve whatever the Good do to them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Classic Cat

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Ghostlight posted:

Classic Cat

Somebody tell the poor cat he's holding the fork upside down.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Q-rais notes that this is the "British fashion" he was taught but that you should just use chopsticks to eat rice.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Alhazred posted:

But again, the boys gets to fight armed pirates, the girls aren't expected to able to deal with one unarmed creep.

The boys are doing a race and are traveling in a group with several men from their home, and what kind of idiot thinks that a pair of teenage girls should be left to fend for themselves AGAINST A SEX TRAFFICKER? In a city where they don't speak the loving language? They aren't Heloise, they aren't fighters OR familiar with the modern world, and you DO know that most human trafficking victims aren't just kidnapped in broad daylight off the street by total strangers, right? That they're lured and taken advantage of? Also, no one knows where these girls are, so if they were kidnapped, no one would know where to look for them, or how

Also, I'm pretty sure if it was a pair of teenage Mori boys wandering through the city, the Phantom would also discreetly watch over them

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Murdstone posted:

BSS> Comic Strips 2022:A week of strips for this payoff. Pathetic.

A page late, but gets my vote

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Powerful Katrinka posted:

The boys are doing a race and are traveling in a group with several men from their home, and what kind of idiot thinks that a pair of teenage girls should be left to fend for themselves AGAINST A SEX TRAFFICKER? In a city where they don't speak the loving language? They aren't Heloise, they aren't fighters OR familiar with the modern world, and you DO know that most human trafficking victims aren't just kidnapped in broad daylight off the street by total strangers, right? That they're lured and taken advantage of? Also, no one knows where these girls are, so if they were kidnapped, no one would know where to look for them, or how

Also, I'm pretty sure if it was a pair of teenage Mori boys wandering through the city, the Phantom would also discreetly watch over them
Right, and the truth of the matter is it's not like teen boys couldn't get taken advantage of in pretty similar ways. It is a gendered storyline in that it's about these two girls making up their own adulthood journey bc they can't do the one the boys do, but they're not uniquely vulnerable because of their gender, they're vulnerable because of their age, linguistic barrier, and unfamiliarity with their environment. It's not shaming them for them to need a little help, even if this storyline could be set up better.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

Computoon: Origins

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I think the pun also works in English.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
b]Garfield[/b]

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Who the gently caress did they transform into a mouse and try to make it permanent on?

e;
And how do you forget about it to make this kind of mix up?

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 22, 2022

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I feel like you should be more careful with a magic science potion that can cut someone's lifespan down to 1-2 years.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Alhazred posted:

The Good Innvandrer

Gods, I used to have this problem (and still do, but not to such a great extent now).

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

What in the goddamn gently caress. I think once a year this comic makes me react like that, I think last year's was revealing she's basically immortal or something due to experimenting with mermaid DNA.

Axa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Oh gently caress you Holbrook. DNA Wizard has probably morphed some individuals so many times it's amazing they're not similar to the mass of protoplasm left at the end of I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream but somehow, SOMEHOW she also has a formula that OOPS! locks you into your current DNA and she has no way to undo it. Yeah loving right!