Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

President Beep posted:

so, in IIS on our DMZ server I’ve got an existing server farm that has a rule in place rerouting an incoming url to hit a file folder on an internal server. I’m trying to figure out how to make that rule redirect to a new file server so that we can decomm the old one. for the life of me I can’t figure where to make that change. i can pull up a list of the rules but when I delve into one I don’t see any meaningful server routing information.

anyone know what i should do?

e: the existing Action Type is Reroute to Server Farm

i can think of a few ways to set that up, but if you're just straight up exposing a shared folder as a web site or virtual directory, it would be on the basic settings for the site. you just change the folder its pointing to.

however, that wouldnt really make sense for a DMZ server to hit an internal server like that, so if ur doing a reverse proxy type deal it should be in url rewrite as a rewrite action type rule. the url you're re-writing to would be in the rewrite url param of the rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
it’s weird. there are a handful of rules like this in place and they’re all Route to Server Farm.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

President Beep posted:

so, in IIS on our DMZ server I’ve got an existing server farm that has a rule in place rerouting an incoming url to hit a file folder on an internal server. I’m trying to figure out how to make that rule redirect to a new file server so that we can decomm the old one. for the life of me I can’t figure where to make that change. i can pull up a list of the rules but when I delve into one I don’t see any meaningful server routing information.

anyone know what i should do?

e: the existing Action Type is Reroute to Server Farm

i don’t

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Thank you, forums user “bump_fn”.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

President Beep posted:

it’s weird. there are a handful of rules like this in place and they’re all Route to Server Farm.

i dont really use the server farm feature in iis, but id guess the server farm its routing to should have a list of servers in the farm and the configuration for the hosting of the files should be on those servers

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

they'll add an option to migrate your account in the future https://support.google.com/a/answer...ransfer-my-data

Yeah but unfortunately it does not include Google Play purchases. From the article I linked:

quote:

We asked Google what these customers should do or if any other options for transferring their purchases and subscriptions will be available to them, and the company dodged our only question with the following information, reiterating the details regarding transferring other account details, which we already knew:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Yeah but unfortunately it does not include Google Play purchases. From the article I linked:

your article is old, the link explicitly says “paid content.” not that I would put it past Google to forget about it but the help page was specifically updated after the outcry from people in your situation

e: here’s a more recent article https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/01/google-relents-legacy-g-suite-users-will-be-able-to-migrate-to-free-accounts/

Jenny Agutter fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 19, 2022

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

my mobo onboard realtek audio is crapping out, after being on a while it will periodically play little bursts of static when audio is playing. is there a reputable PCIe or usb sound card with low latency that doesn't cost $300? preferably doesn't require manufacturer crapware

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

if you're just listening to headphones, try the $8 apple USB-C headphone jack (which works fine with a USB-A to USB-C adapter) as a first resort

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

you're probably best off with a cheap usb solution, latency tends to not be a problem (buffers cost money, so not even cheap stuff can afford much delay), and pretty much everything is made from one of a handful of chipsets you already have drivers for.

even with that said i don't have a real suggestion, as my own thing is no longer made.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jenny Agutter posted:

my mobo onboard realtek audio is crapping out, after being on a while it will periodically play little bursts of static when audio is playing. is there a reputable PCIe or usb sound card with low latency that doesn't cost $300? preferably doesn't require manufacturer crapware

what do you want to plug into it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what do you want to plug into it

Just 3.5mm stereo jackfor headphones and desktop speakers. you know, everyone says onboard audio is perfectly good now but the last two motherboards I've had have developed audio problems so I'm not sure it's quite there yet

thanks for the suggestions everyone

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jenny Agutter posted:

Just 3.5mm stereo jackfor headphones and desktop speakers. you know, everyone says onboard audio is perfectly good now but the last two motherboards I've had have developed audio problems so I'm not sure it's quite there yet

thanks for the suggestions everyone

for "just make my poo poo work for significantly cheaper than $300" category my first suggestion to reach for is

https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-dac-plus/

combined with

https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-amp/

if you dislike this for w/e reason, lmk and i can pitch something else. this is kind of generic middle of ground setup that i can think of for an assumed 'putertoucher

if you do go for it, i think their shop also has really short rca cables, to tidly connect the two

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

thanks that looks like a cool solution but I’m saving for a down payment so the apple usbc adapter is more my speed atm. although now I’m remembering when an apple lightning 3.5mm adapter kept cutting out during a performance because the volume was maxed on the iPhone, which gives me pause

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jenny Agutter posted:

thanks that looks like a cool solution but I’m saving for a down payment so the apple usbc adapter is more my speed atm. although now I’m remembering when an apple lightning 3.5mm adapter kept cutting out during a performance because the volume was maxed on the iPhone, which gives me pause

their dongle is good quality, if you have usbc just get that for the sake of getting sound at all

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jenny Agutter posted:

this feels like a problem with the phone being unable to source enough current out the lightning port to drive maximum volume, if it was cutting out, which ought not to happen with a computer

that said, the apple usbc adapters are known to have kind of low output power/volume compared to prosumer usb dacs

but for high impedance headphones and amplified speakers i bet its fine

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

will that power some floor speakers? I don’t know anything about speakers. I think it’s SVS bookshelfs.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

strangehamster posted:

will that power some floor speakers? I don’t know anything about speakers. I think it’s SVS bookshelfs.

depends on the speakers - active ones sure, but you normally don’t connect them like that. passive ones (majority of home hifi stuff cheaper than $500/speaker) require a pre-amplifier (the amp+ i posted has that), which wouldn’t work with the dongle (unless those are pc speakers or similar and have like an explicit 3.5mm connector, like logitech stuff does)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
i dont think you need a preamp for like 99% of setups. any home stereo setup that isnt an audiophile weirdo's will be using an integrated amp, which has a preamp stage

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
but what if i want an excuse to use one of these

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33307

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
lol yeah thats why i left myself that 1% of wiggle room

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

integrated amp is what i refer to as "pc speakers". true passive speakers, or "bookshelf speakers" are quite popular with normal people here, and seeing av receives powering those (most av receivers have adequate preamps) is really common. more commonly, however, people just use tv speakers and allow tv salesman to sell them a soundbar

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sniep posted:

but what if i want an excuse to use one of these

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33307

remember to also get https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1674239-REG/audioquest_silcloudus06c13e_silver_cloud_ac_power.html

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

nah that poo poo isnt audiophile bullshit, its just big muscle home theater amp

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sniep posted:

nah that poo poo isnt audiophile bullshit, its just big muscle home theater amp

they describe the product as audiophile-grade, but fair enough

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

cinci zoo sniper posted:

they describe the product as audiophile-grade, but fair enough

i mean it is audiophile grade if you're talking about well designed audio amplification, just not the obscene bullshit

the things only 2500 bux its far less than anything else even comparable in performance. i'd totally get one if i was building a home theater i just don't have room in this house for one.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sniep posted:

i mean it is audiophile grade if you're talking about well designed audio amplification, just not the obscene bullshit

the things only 2500 bux its far less than anything else even comparable in performance. i'd totally get one if i was building a home theater i just don't have room in this house for one.

fair enough. as much as i dislike the term, there's a lot of solid thought that is going into electronics design for audio equipment, as opposed to vapid bullshit like "sonically pure usb 2.0 cable" or the whole recent farce with mqa, or ~le warm tube amps that are warm like this and not like that~

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

hell, i just recently saw https://www.synergisticresearch.com/accessories/ethernet-switch-uef/

$2500 gigabit switch ~purely meant for audio and video~

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

cinci zoo sniper posted:

hell, i just recently saw https://www.synergisticresearch.com/accessories/ethernet-switch-uef/

$2500 gigabit switch ~purely meant for audio and video~

guaranteed that if you cracked that thing open it'd have the same broadcom gigabit eth chip as 17 other brands over 83912 models under $50

they prolly buff off the name off the chip or something

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

integrated amp is what i refer to as "pc speakers". true passive speakers, or "bookshelf speakers" are quite popular with normal people here, and seeing av receives powering those (most av receivers have adequate preamps) is really common. more commonly, however, people just use tv speakers and allow tv salesman to sell them a soundbar

hang on what the gently caress are you talking about

this is an integrated amplifier. it has a preamp and a power amp, integrated into one package. it is basically a receiver without the receiver parts

i have one of these powering some passive bookshelf speakers and its good. aint nothing to do with pc speakers, regardless of the fact that mine is indeed plugged into my pc as a source

like 99% of home hifi setups will have an integrated amp or receiver, and therefore not need a separate preamp. unless you have individual components like sniep, apparently

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Raluek posted:

unless you have individual components like sniep, apparently

no im saying i wanted it for a home theater but i dont have a place to put it yet

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Raluek posted:

hang on what the gently caress are you talking about

this is an integrated amplifier. it has a preamp and a power amp, integrated into one package. it is basically a receiver without the receiver parts

i have one of these powering some passive bookshelf speakers and its good. aint nothing to do with pc speakers, regardless of the fact that mine is indeed plugged into my pc as a source

like 99% of home hifi setups will have an integrated amp or receiver, and therefore not need a separate preamp. unless you have individual components like sniep, apparently

i thought you used “integrated amplifier” in a stereo speaker system where one of the speakers has a built in preamp and power amp for the setup - my current pc speakers are like that, for instance

if integrated amplifier is the term for preamp+amp combo, then i just didn’t know the right terminology in english, my bad. id call this a stereo amplifier

if you have one of those or an receiver, you absolutely don’t need a dedicated preamp - if only for your headphones

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

are those knobs and switches as satisfying to spin and flip as they look

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

oh man yamaha gear from that era really focused on that poo poo + also paging Jonny290 cuz he is a huge fanboy of that exact particular period and model type

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i thought you used “integrated amplifier” in a stereo speaker system where one of the speakers has a built in preamp and power amp for the setup - my current pc speakers are like that, for instance

if integrated amplifier is the term for preamp+amp combo, then i just didn’t know the right terminology in english, my bad. id call this a stereo amplifier

if you have one of those or an receiver, you absolutely don’t need a dedicated preamp - if only for your headphones

what you're talking about is called a powered or active speaker, as far as i know

since we're talking about floor and bookshelf speakers with an apple usbc adapter, it is my opinion that it will work fine w/o preamp with either an active set of speakers with line-level in, or with passive speakers that are powered by an integrated amp or receiver.

the adapter's lack of power should only be noticeable if you're driving low impedance headphones, or are going right into a power amp that isn't integrated with a preamp

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

imo the knobs are very good (some of them are the ones with the ujoint shafts going to the back of the unit) and the switches are pretty good. they could be improved with a stiffer spring so they snap into position with a firmer click, but overall they're still B+ tier.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I have a way later Yamaha A520 amp but it has nice knob and button feel. Good loud click when you select the input

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

nothing made in 2022 is a tactilely satisfying as closing a cassette player

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://cari.institute/aesthetics/cassette-futurism

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Raluek posted:

what you're talking about is called a powered or active speaker, as far as i know

active speakers power themselves. here one speakers powers every speaker in the setup, which i distinguish as a separate category of “pc speakers”, because that’s basically the only context where you even use a setup like this. it’s not wrong to call that an active speaker, the entire setup is just hybrid, rather than all-active

Raluek posted:

since we're talking about floor and bookshelf speakers with an apple usbc adapter, it is my opinion that it will work fine w/o preamp with either an active set of speakers with line-level in, or with passive speakers that are powered by an integrated amp or receiver.

the adapter's lack of power should only be noticeable if you're driving low impedance headphones, or are going right into a power amp that isn't integrated with a preamp

agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

for "just make my poo poo work for significantly cheaper than $300" category my first suggestion to reach for is

https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-dac-plus/

combined with

https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-amp/

if you dislike this for w/e reason, lmk and i can pitch something else. this is kind of generic middle of ground setup that i can think of for an assumed 'putertoucher

if you do go for it, i think their shop also has really short rca cables, to tidly connect the two

now i'm curious

can you make that fw updater thingie work in linux?