Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Thaddius the Large posted:

maybe I’m misinformed but bog standard Reagan Democrats don’t seem to have much a future anywhere

If you were paying attention to this last election cycle in Seattle, this is just what the Democrats are now (or what they've always been but have been able to conceal due to the lack of left challenges). Our former Dem governors endorsed a Republican for city attorney to prevent an abolitionist being elected.

And don't even get me started on Bruce Harrell.
https://twitter.com/UrbanistOrg/status/1478452280600924164?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

I had no idea Nicholas Kristof was running for Oregon governor.

Had anyone reached out to the Oregon Department of Revenue to find out if he's been paying state income taxes, since he claims to be a resident?

quote:

Asked by the state elections office to prove he met this requirement, Kristof has argued that his family farm in Yamhill County has always been his home. In a 100-page letter sent Monday to elections officials, Kristof's lawyers wrote that his longtime property investment and summer vacations in Oregon should be enough to prove that their client is a true Oregonian. His lawyers also argued that, if the state denied his explanation, it would be upholding the state's racist history of such residency requirements.

Johnson actually doesn’t worry me a huge amount, maybe I’m misinformed but bog standard Reagan Democrats don’t seem to have much a future anywhere, I feel like the people who those arguments work for are just voting Republican at this point and wouldn’t have bothered with any of the Dem nominees regardless

I think where Johnson hurts the Democrat, whoever it may be, is like I said out in Clackamas and rural Washco. We know Portland/Eugene isn’t quite enough to put a statewide candidate over the finish line, just get them almost there. So eating into conservative Democrat margins could actually be a very big deal

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

I actually had clicked through and read the whole PM article, I just didn't see taxes mentioned anywhere in there, so was wondering if anyone had brighter them up.

The whole "it's racist to require residency" thing is... Interesting? It sounds like complete bullshit, and I don't think state residency requirements are particularly racist...? Like, you should probably have to live someplace for at least a little while before you represent/run that place? And I really don't think a vacation home should count.

Is it me, am I the racist?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

I actually had clicked through and read the whole PM article, I just didn't see taxes mentioned anywhere in there, so was wondering if anyone had brighter them up.

The whole "it's racist to require residency" thing is... Interesting? It sounds like complete bullshit, and I don't think state residency requirements are particularly racist...? Like, you should probably have to live someplace for at least a little while before you represent/run that place? And I really don't think a vacation home should count.

Is it me, am I the racist?

I dont know you, friend, so I can’t answer that. But at least based on this particular data point? No. You are not.

It’s a really odd argument for a wealthy white dude to put out there, too

“You’re discriminating against me just because my land is for extracting rents and vacations!” is a hell of an argument. It kind of starts intersecting uncomfortably with “land should vote” rural conservative rhetoric

Edit: it occurs to me that the fact that he’s not making a point of paying income taxes probably means he isn’t. Seems like a very good point to bring up if it were the case

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 6, 2022

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Whew boy. There wasn't much you could do to get me actively supporting Tina Kotek but run her against Betsy Johnson was one of those very few things.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Whew boy. There wasn't much you could do to get me actively supporting Tina Kotek but run her against Betsy Johnson was one of those very few things.

She is very much the quintessential Portland liberal and I think she’ll struggle if she’s the nominee

Also :qq: Nick

https://mobile.twitter.com/NickKristof/status/1479190758511067142?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The Oldest Man posted:

If you were paying attention to this last election cycle in Seattle, this is just what the Democrats are now (or what they've always been but have been able to conceal due to the lack of left challenges). Our former Dem governors endorsed a Republican for city attorney to prevent an abolitionist being elected.

And don't even get me started on Bruce Harrell.
https://twitter.com/UrbanistOrg/status/1478452280600924164?s=20

That’s what establishment Dems are, but Johnson is eschewing even them in favor of a rightward turn, which is where I think she’s in especially dead waters, nobody to the right wants to come to her, they’ll just go further right.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I think where Johnson hurts the Democrat, whoever it may be, is like I said out in Clackamas and rural Washco. We know Portland/Eugene isn’t quite enough to put a statewide candidate over the finish line, just get them almost there. So eating into conservative Democrat margins could actually be a very big deal

I mean, yeah, that’s the risk, I just don’t think her stance is even popular enough for those folks, maybe I’m being reductive but my read is there’s no room for independents unless you’re playing to the extremes

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

HashtagGirlboss posted:

She is very much the quintessential Portland liberal and I think she’ll struggle if she’s the nominee

You think? To me she's Kate Brown just 20 years younger. Maybe simply being from Portland is enough brand poison statewide to sink her chances.

I was hoping Shemia Fagan would make her move this cycle. I assume she, rightly, decided it was too early.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 7, 2022

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Also :qq: Nick

https://mobile.twitter.com/NickKristof/status/1479190758511067142?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

it would be extremely funny if this rich idiot managed to kill residency requirements, though it seems unlikely
it's not hard to actually establish residency in a state, but owning property certainly doesn't do it

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

You think? To me she's Kate Brown just 20 years younger. Maybe simply being from Portland is enough brand poison statewide to sink her chances.

I was hoping Shemia Fagan would make her move this cycle. I assume she, rightly, decided it was too early.

I like Shemia a lot but it’s definitely smart for her to sit tight another cycle. Tina and Kate Brown are definitely cut from the same cloth, for better or worse. They’re tied to stuff like cap and trade, corporate activity tax, up zoning, etc. and definitely very cozy with business interests. They are both LGBT. These are things that are generally popular in Portland but less so once you move out into the suburbs and beyond. I think Tina has a good shot at winning the primary because any democratic primary in Oregon goes through Portland and also Tobias Read is really loving boring from what little I’ve seen, and nobody else seems to be getting any media (all that could change of course).

I mean, yeah, that’s the risk, I just don’t think her stance is even popular enough for those folks, maybe I’m being reductive but my read is there’s no room for independents unless you’re playing to the extremes

I think if Kotek is the nominee she’ll struggle with more conservative democrats outside Portland. If the republicans manage to nominate somebody relatively sane (big if) that doesn’t scare these same voters then I could see Betsy being a spoiler and soaking up protest votes from the kind of people who think kotek is “too left” (which lmao but there are people who think that)

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Kristof should just become a LEO. In state residency where they work is expressly discouraged.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Relevant Tangent posted:

it would be extremely funny if this rich idiot managed to kill residency requirements, though it seems unlikely
it's not hard to actually establish residency in a state, but owning property certainly doesn't do it

the only thing left for rich people to squander their money on now is achievements. if you secure governorship of a state you don't meet the residency requirements for, you get a 100 rich people point achievement. simultaneous governance of washington oregon and california is worth 800rpp

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This came across my Google News feed today:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/01/24/nick-kristof-governor-campaign-oregon-527606

It's long, and covers a lot of what we already talked about, but I grabbed what I consider the highlights:

quote:

In his book, Kristof recounted growing up on a 73-acre farm with his parents, both college professors at Portland State University. He called Yamhill kids like himself “escape artists” who managed to move away and succeed. Kristof earned degrees at Harvard and Oxford before joining the Times in 1984.

Until recently, Kristof maintained a New York driver’s license. The Capital Chronicle, an online news site, also reported Kristof listed his Scarsdale, N.Y., home as his mailing address for his Oregon property tax bills into 2021. His income tax returns could show which state Kristof declared as his full-time home. His lawyers say he filed Oregon income taxes as a full-year resident in 2020, but Kristof hasn’t made his tax returns part of the case file, and he’s declined repeated media requests to release them.

Despite the records, Kristof says he has been a resident of Oregon long enough to satisfy the three-year requirement. He and his lawyers argue in court that Kristof has always been an Oregonian at heart. He considers the Yamhill farm home; he and his family spent summers there; he’s making a big investment in the orchard and vineyard; and he has used the farm for his return address on letters. In an earlier memo, Kristof’s lawyers point to other Oregon bona fides: He’s hiked the Pacific Crest Trail, he’s eaten at Mo’s, a legendary Oregon seafood restaurant, and Crystal the family dog competed in Oregon dog shows.

He's trying to present himself as the son of farmers, but the "farmers" in question were full-time college professors.

And apparently he doesn't want to disclose his income taxes. Which I bet if I went looking, I could find some commentary regarding his feelings on Trump not disclosing his income tax records.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ham Equity posted:

This came across my Google News feed today:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/01/24/nick-kristof-governor-campaign-oregon-527606

It's long, and covers a lot of what we already talked about, but I grabbed what I consider the highlights:

He's trying to present himself as the son of farmers, but the "farmers" in question were full-time college professors.

And apparently he doesn't want to disclose his income taxes. Which I bet if I went looking, I could find some commentary regarding his feelings on Trump not disclosing his income tax records.

This was a three-second Google search, of course:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/10/opinion/sunday/trump-taxes.html

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

We should get a ruling soon. Both Kristoff and Fagan have submitted their briefs and there isn’t a plan to have oral arguments. I’m having trouble seeing how he wins but influence peddling works in odd and unexpected ways sometimes

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
In other news, this poo poo feels really promising to me.

quote:

To recap, the bill would make the following changes:
  • For cities with between 10,000 and 20,000 residents planning under the GMA, duplex zoning replaces single-family zoning citywide. Such a city may opt to allow for other types of missing middle housing (e.g., triplexes, quadplexes, and courtyard apartments).
  • For cities with at least 20,000 residents, within a half-mile radius of major transit stops, sixplex zoning essentially replaces single-family zoning and parking minimums are voided. Cities opting for an alternate minimum density plan must still abide by this condition.
  • For cities greater than 20,000 residents, in areas not located within a half-mile of major transit stops, fourplex zoning essentially replaces single-family zoning citywide unless the city adopts a citywide minimum density measure laid out in the bill. Parking minimums are capped at one parking spot per lot, or two for larger lots (6,000 square feet or more).
  • If Seattle chooses this option, it must hit a 40 dwelling unit per acre threshold with its rezone plan across the city.
  • Cities choosing a minimum density alternative outside major transit stop areas with a population between 100,000 and 500,000 must hit a 30 dwelling unit per acre threshold across their urban growth area with their alternate plan. This density is essentially on par with fourplexes. As of the 2020 Census, cities of this size include Bellevue, Tacoma, Everett, Vancouver, Kent, Renton, Kirkland, Spokane, and Spokane Valley.
  • Cities choosing a minimum density alternative outside major transit stop areas with a population between 20,000 and 100,000 must hit a 25 dwelling unit per acre threshold across their urban growth area with their alternate plan.

Also, environmental reviews are skipped.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Solkanar512 posted:

Also, environmental reviews are skipped.

But now how can we debate if planting trees that infringe on my view are bad for the environment?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kaal posted:

But now how can we debate if planting trees that infringe on my view are bad for the environment?

:justpost:

Also, if folks would plant more cultivar japanese maples and fewer bullshit arborvitae, we wouldn't be having these fights.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the Seattle thread:

Remember this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjF1V403cBs

Anyway, he died of COVID (PDF)

https://www.wsp.wa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Chiefs-Statement-Regarding-Death-of-Former-Trooper.pdf

I'm sure we're all very saddened at the passing of this piece of poo poo pig motherfucker. Thank you, Robert LaMay, for making the world a better place today.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Turns out that the thin blue line is right next to a thin pink one.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Oregon State Supreme Court has rolled Kristof is out.

:sad:

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Haha sucker

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
I have to say....this wasn't an article I thought I would see on my phone.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/20/business/economy/spokane-housing-expensive-cities.html

But not totally unexpected given the ever-increasing housing costs in Washington state.

With regards to duplexes and triplexes...
It's a start.

I think high rise housing is preferred to see the economics of scale work out.
4-5 story high non-luxury condos built of concrete and steel. Or even taller buildings.

The last place I saw offering a new duplex for sale, wanted 250k.
This wasn't in the Seattle area mind you, this was on the East side, of the state, pre-covid.
It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 21, 2022

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Senor P. posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/20/business/economy/spokane-housing-expensive-cities.html

But not totally unexpected given the ever-increasing housing costs in Washington state.

It's a start.

4-5 story high non-luxury condos built of concrete and steel. Or even taller buildings.

This wasn't in the Seattle area mind you, this was on the East side, of the state, pre-covid.

Spokane is a loving shithole. People are just going to have to migrate eastward until they find survivable financial conditions I guess.

NDP
Jun 25, 2021

Senor P. posted:

It's a start.

Just out of curiosity, how big and new was this duplex? I'm asking because I now own a share in a recently-constructed duplex in the Spokane area (even though I didn't play an active role in obtaining it).

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Spokane is a loving shithole. People are just going to have to migrate eastward until they find survivable financial conditions I guess.
If that's the case, I expect the real estate market in Shoshone County (i.e., the Silver Valley) to get real hot real soon.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Senor P. posted:

Are 4-5 story concrete and steel residential buildings even a thing these days?

I mean, I agree, but with the amount of wooden buildings going up I imagine that’s pretty much cookie cutter these days.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I don't think I've ever seen a 5-over-1 that wasn't built with a wood frame. I just want to see more mid to high rise residential housing in general. gently caress 5-over-1s.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The 5 in a 5-over-1 refers specifically to the 5 wood stories over the 1 concrete story.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

pseudorandom name posted:

The 5 in a 5-over-1 refers specifically to the 5 wood stories over the 1 concrete story.

Incorrect, it refers to type 5 construction according to the International Building Code over IBC type 1 construction.
https://archive.curbed.com/2018/12/4/18125536/real-estate-modern-apartment-architecture
https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IBC2015P4/chapter-6-types-of-construction

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The problem with that explanation of the name is the upper 5 stories can also be type 3 and there's also 5-over-2 which is 5 type 3 or type 5 stories over 2 type 1 stories.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

People started using the term "5-over-1" incorrectly, and that misconception feels like an obvious idea so that usage spread faster and farther than the original, more technical/jargony usage.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I think most people don't claim to know or even care what code or material is used for which floors, they are referring to the style as it appears outwardly: 5 identical residential floors on top of a different styled bottom floor with a different purpose (often commercial).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

halokiller posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a 5-over-1 that wasn't built with a wood frame. I just want to see more mid to high rise residential housing in general. gently caress 5-over-1s.
4-6 story housing is fine. I mean yeah we should also have taller stuff, especially near subways and other good transit, but some cities like Munich or Vienna do fine with relatively few buildings going beyond around 6 stories.

Hell, even Tokyo isn't as high-rise crazy as is often believed. Most Tokyo buildings even in 'central' areas aren't very tall.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://www.portlandmercury.com/blo...nformation-leak

quote:

Hunzeker formerly served as the president of the Portland Police Bureau's (PPB) rank-and-file union, the Portland Police Association (PPA). Hunzeker stepped down from that role in late March 2021, shortly after PPB leaked information to the Oregonian and online conservative media outlets that falsely accused Hardesty of committing a hit-and-run.

An internal police investigation made public in December explained Hunzeker's connection to this incident. The investigation found that, on March 3, a 911 caller had incorrectly identified Hardesty as the suspect in a hit-and-run allegation. After learning of this, Hunzeker allegedly called a reporter to share the news of this alleged crime and then sent that reporter a copy of the 911 call transcript. Hunzeker told PPB investigators that this leak was made in retaliation, specifically for "Commissioner Hardesty’s false allegation about officers setting fires during the civil unrest," a claim that Hardesty made in 2020 and later apologized for.

However, current PPA President Aaron Shmautz said that the union "is actively reviewing the additional due process steps in place to remedy this mistake by the City."

"In firing Officer Hunzeker, the City has inappropriately turned accountability into punitive sanctions," Shmautz said in a press statement. "That is a step too far; one that is unsupported by facts, reason, and objectivity."
"Look, all he did was leak protected information in an effort to punish an elected official who spoke out against the piece of poo poo pig motherfuckers... Certainly, firing him is clearly a bridge too far!"

Though, suppose capitulating on his reinstatement will save time, since he's inevitable going to be reinstated with back pay on appeal, since nobody ever explicitly told him that doing that one specific thing is bad.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
LOL “We didn’t expect accountability to come with punishments for bad behavior. No fair!”

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
It's a little weird that "deep blue" Oregon could end up with a Trump Republican governor next year and nobody seems to be talking about it. Since Kate Brown is term limited we have a completely open race and, as usual, the Dems are putting up lovely centrists and the state GOP has an entire clown car of Trump lovers competing for the nomination but what makes this year special is that Phil Knight and a bunch of Portland business owners are dumping millions of dollars into "independent" Betsy Johnson's campaign hoping to siphon off just enough moderate dem votes to get a Republican governor elected.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
naw, we'll protest outside somebody's house if it comes to that

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
These campaign ads are the shittiest things I’ve ever seen in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

These campaign ads are the shittiest things I’ve ever seen in my life.