Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

i am a moron posted:

Okay so I picked up that Peacemaker was bi when his dad said ‘and MEN’ during his monologue and read an article about it, but did I miss something in the show where they explicitly said anything about that?

I don't think it's ever overtly expressed in the show but after that episode confirmed it, James Gunn said it was Cena's idea and they ran with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Nah it's just not really that big of a deal.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Nah it's just not really that big of a deal.

It's also a lot of this. Despite it being a kinda big deal IRL, it shouldn't be and is treated as such in the show.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

i am a moron posted:

Okay so I picked up that Peacemaker was bi when his dad said ‘and MEN’ during his monologue and read an article about it, but did I miss something in the show where they explicitly said anything about that?

He mentions having sex with men in episode 1 when he's hitting on Harcourt.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
we knew he had gay sex in prison from the first episode. we just learned later it was a preference as opposed to just making do.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

i am a moron posted:

When he's first talking to Harcourt at the bar and hitting on her, he says "I've been in prison for four years! I haven't been with anyone - [corrects himself] haven't been with any WOMAN, in a long time". So he was getting it on with dudes in Belle Reve, but they're pretty subtle about it.

I actually really like the bar scene for Harcourt's dialogue. Because we're naturally sympathetic toward Peacemaker we're meant to think HIM interrupting her quiet drink to flirt with her is totally OK, but the stereotypical meathead in the bar doing it was asking for an rear end-kicking. So it's great she calls him out as just as big an rear end in a top hat. I especially like "the way you say it makes it sound stalkery!" / "No. The way you DID IT made it stalkery."

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Did Flagg give any indication in meeting PM before in the Suicide Squad movie? Given how often they flash back to how that all ended and how tore up he is I’m starting to wonder if they may have been a bit more than teammates on previous missions. Probably just reading into nothing though.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Warbird posted:

Did Flagg give any indication in meeting PM before in the Suicide Squad movie? Given how often they flash back to how that all ended and how tore up he is I’m starting to wonder if they may have been a bit more than teammates on previous missions. Probably just reading into nothing though.

No. And honestly it seemed like he didn't meet any members of his team barring Harley. They were clearly meant to eat poo poo and die. Even Flagg for disobeying Waller in SS1

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

i am a moron posted:

There is a post coital scene with vigilante, peacemaker, and the hostage wife (amber? I think?)

Edit: oops, wasn't on the last page after all

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Wait is that why he was on the eat poo poo team? I thought they were doing some reboot thing. Didn’t Boomerang get merc’d in the first one too?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Warbird posted:

Wait is that why he was on the eat poo poo team? I thought they were doing some reboot thing. Didn’t Boomerang get merc’d in the first one too?

he always comes back

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Warbird posted:

Yeah the cannonfodder team had people from the first movie, presumably because they disobeyed Waller in the first movie.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

They probably did it before, but S2 just makes it official.

Dunno about that, in the first ep when PM's going through all his voicemails from the last 4 years and it's all Vig leaving stupid poo poo he specifically calls back to clarify that when he said "Hey what's up P it's me V" that it was NOT a reference to penis and vagina. I think at this point in the show they're just hetero BFFs.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Peacemaker top confirmed.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

pile of brown posted:

There is a post coital scene with vigilante, peacemaker, and the hostage wife (amber? I think?)

Edit: oops, wasn't on the last page after all

A MMF threesome isn’t evidence someone is bi though, was there a line of dialog?

I also might’ve assumed the prison thing was a prison rape reference which I memory holed cause I think it’s really gross to joke about

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Peacemaker was a pretty bad dude at the start of the show but I don't think he would have raped anyone.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

i am a moron posted:

A MMF threesome isn’t evidence someone is bi though, was there a line of dialog?

I also might’ve assumed the prison thing was a prison rape reference which I memory holed cause I think it’s really gross to joke about

He never explicitly says he's bi in the show, they only drop hints. Obviously what his dad said is the biggest one, but if you want to be pedantic nothing is 'evidence' of him being bi apart from him saying how he identifies which he doesn't. Gunn is the one who said later that Cena wanted to play Peacemaker as bisexual.

Ended up working out well plot-wise I guess, as another wedge between him and his father.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

So the Batman stand in who got cut has an interesting phone
https://twitter.com/Startboii1/status/1495804017087234049?t=pORYTXs3Lrf7JjFcNhkYXA&s=19

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Peacemaker top confirmed.

Vig's 100% a power bottom though, he's too enthusiastic to not be.

I do like that PM is torn up about killing Flagg. It was an good way to show early on that he was not a cold hearted bastard he seemed like in the movie, and also Flagg saw right through him.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Defiance Industries posted:

Peacemaker was a pretty bad dude at the start of the show but I don't think he would have raped anyone.

Or maybe he got raped? It was a prison for super villains

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

i am a moron posted:

The thing that sold me on Peacemaker being Bi was the casual, comfortable nature of the threesome. It told me that this was something he and Vigilante have done before and will almost certainly do again. That level of comfort might be possible for a couple of straight guys, but it seems much more likely that they're both Bi. Of the three of them, the person showing the most reaction was the woman, who was gleeful to escape her stifling marriage to get it on with a couple of "superheroes." For Peacemaker and Vigilante, getting naked together and sharing a sex partner was clearly just another Wednesday.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

0:43 (on the left, behind Agee) is an obvious one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mrr3UNALww

It's the perfect opening. There are Easter eggs in the opening.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Like the show a lot but felt that the dad storyline was way better than the butterflies. Not sure how you remediate that without making the group around Peacemaker useless though. I would have liked to see episode 7 and 8 swap. It would probably make the time they spent killing White Dragon not a plot hole since they kind of where against the clock with the cow transport and yet they took half a day running through the woods without explanation.

Love how James Gunn utilized a lot of mediocre set pieces. The fight in the parking lot, the fight on a back country road, the random barn. Did a ton with a little. Resulted in a ton of low and high angle shots to hide the background but the fight choreography was good enough to cover it.

Cena was great. Love his comedic timing and he's pretty accomplished in drama acting. James Gunn wife was surprisingly solid. Didn't remember her from the movie at all but enjoyed her here. Good character acting from the detectives. Economos/Vigilante were alright comic relief. Kind of hard to stand out when the main character does that role but it worked. Adebayo was terrible. I understand she's supposed to be the audience but her character was a burden and her body acting is wooden. She delivered her lines fine but she was just used too much. Also didn't care about her relationship at all and it felt unnecessarily pegged in considering no other character got a solid b plot. Really awesome casting in Judomaster, White Dragon, Murn, and weird sheriff guy. They all stood out and were fun parts of the show. I don't recognize Judomaster and Murn but the sheriff plant was the Swede in Hell On Wheels and was great in that too. I hope he gets more work.

Excited for season 2. I hope DC does more James Gunn projects.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I kept hoping the dog that liked clothes would end up being a butterfly

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I don't know why they bothered with the brief Adabayo subplot with her wife, it doesn't go anywhere

But it was so minor that it didn't really take anything away from the show

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
It’s not gay if your bro keeps his mask on.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I just head cannoned Adebayo as what happened to Tasty after she got out of prison and it's way more amusing.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

This show came out of nowhere and blew me away. Just spectacular - funny as hell, fun action, the misfit likable characters, a coherent plot that exists in the grey area, just tons of fun. Really just what I needed this month. John Cena is fantastic and this looked like the most fun show to work on ever.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Doltos posted:

Like the show a lot but felt that the dad storyline was way better than the butterflies. Not sure how you remediate that without making the group around Peacemaker useless though. I would have liked to see episode 7 and 8 swap. It would probably make the time they spent killing White Dragon not a plot hole since they kind of where against the clock with the cow transport and yet they took half a day running through the woods without explanation.

Love how James Gunn utilized a lot of mediocre set pieces. The fight in the parking lot, the fight on a back country road, the random barn. Did a ton with a little. Resulted in a ton of low and high angle shots to hide the background but the fight choreography was good enough to cover it.

Cena was great. Love his comedic timing and he's pretty accomplished in drama acting. James Gunn wife was surprisingly solid. Didn't remember her from the movie at all but enjoyed her here. Good character acting from the detectives. Economos/Vigilante were alright comic relief. Kind of hard to stand out when the main character does that role but it worked. Adebayo was terrible. I understand she's supposed to be the audience but her character was a burden and her body acting is wooden. She delivered her lines fine but she was just used too much. Also didn't care about her relationship at all and it felt unnecessarily pegged in considering no other character got a solid b plot. Really awesome casting in Judomaster, White Dragon, Murn, and weird sheriff guy. They all stood out and were fun parts of the show. I don't recognize Judomaster and Murn but the sheriff plant was the Swede in Hell On Wheels and was great in that too. I hope he gets more work.

Excited for season 2. I hope DC does more James Gunn projects.

I did like the bit where Vigilante asked who "the girl" was in their marriage and she said we both are because lesbians with this tired inflection because she's soooo sick of that loving question.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

head cannoned Adebayo

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

https://i.imgur.com/yYLbrpN.mp4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah I don't know why they bothered with the brief Adabayo subplot with her wife, it doesn't go anywhere

But it was so minor that it didn't really take anything away from the show

It establishes her status as a team member who's extremely out of her depth because she's not an agent. Murn (before he got Butterflied) was an evil assassin, Harcourt is a hardass willing to shoot potential innocents to protect the mission and the team, Economos is a lonely prison warden and techie with no outside relationships. Adebayo is a former dog shelter employee with a wife that she has to keep in the dark about everything and risk her relationship falling apart every day because of it, or risk never coming home at all. Not everything needs to be a "subplot" that progresses and seriously impacts the plot. Her marriage is a defining part of her character and motivations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

chitoryu12 posted:

Adebayo is a former dog shelter employee with a wife that she has to keep in the dark about everything and risk her relationship falling apart every day because of it, or risk never coming home at all. Not everything needs to be a "subplot" that progresses and seriously impacts the plot. Her marriage is a defining part of her character and motivations.

Also having someone outside the 'in group' who a character turns to for reassurance is a tried and true method for writing scenes that make it more obvious that a character is going through inner turmoil. "I know you're a good person. "Yeah I'm not so sure any more." We've all seen it a million times before.
If the character is a real loner the writer usually uses a bartender for that purpose: "Thanks bud, you're a really good listener" "Hey it's all part of the job"

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

chitoryu12 posted:

It establishes her status as a team member who's extremely out of her depth because she's not an agent. Murn (before he got Butterflied) was an evil assassin, Harcourt is a hardass willing to shoot potential innocents to protect the mission and the team, Economos is a lonely prison warden and techie with no outside relationships. Adebayo is a former dog shelter employee with a wife that she has to keep in the dark about everything and risk her relationship falling apart every day because of it, or risk never coming home at all. Not everything needs to be a "subplot" that progresses and seriously impacts the plot. Her marriage is a defining part of her character and motivations.

Well that's the issue. She needed a whole subplot for her character to have any depth. I get it that you need to do it sometimes but if the subplot doesn't help the main plot or matter at all to it why is it there in the first place for the first season? Save that for later seasons when you want to go below surface level.

My theory is they just didn't have enough budget/time/content for a full first season. The White Dragon plot is pretty short and the butterflies don't need a ton of effort put in for the audience to know what's at stake.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Doltos posted:

Well that's the issue. She needed a whole subplot for her character to have any depth. I get it that you need to do it sometimes but if the subplot doesn't help the main plot or matter at all to it why is it there in the first place for the first season? Save that for later seasons when you want to go below surface level.

My theory is they just didn't have enough budget/time/content for a full first season. The White Dragon plot is pretty short and the butterflies don't need a ton of effort put in for the audience to know what's at stake.

Chekhov's wife?

I dunno, I don't think Adebayo lacked depth. Her mother is Amanda Waller so she has that direct link to the canon, and she's tasked with betraying the rest of the team (and Peacemaker specifically) which somewhat mirrors his role in the movie and helps his character go from the betray-er to the betray-ee.

So on the inner turmoil front she doesn't want to let down her mother, and she's being pushed by Harcourt to be more ruthless, but when she tries (manipulating Vigilante, planting the diary) it backfires and makes her feel incredibly guilty. So she decides to throw all in with the team instead, accesses her badass side and then betrays her mother.

Compare that to other team members like Vigilante or Harcourt and I think you can say Adebayo is less entertaining but definitely not less "deep".

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah that's a good point. I don't know what they were trying to do with her giving her that big backstory and then using her as some sort of connection between civilian and military life? I dunno. I would have liked her a lot more if they used her more as an unwilling betrayer of the group's trust than what they did with her. Them finding out who her mother was and the Peacemaker diary plot beats were both fine. The whole distrusting wife approach doesn't make a lot of sense for season 1 is all.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I dug the wife thing because Adebayo's whole arc was rejecting her mother and sticking with her new family she chose herself.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
also she has yorkies and one wears costumes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Abedayo is an interesting character, look forward to what they might do with her. She effortlessly set Vigilante against white power terminator and shot a bunch of people, but did something as patently stupid as bring her wife along for the mission.

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 22, 2022