Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Lol at having to go back thirty years for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
https://twitter.com/PressClubAust/status/1495899557934387206

clive's got covid lol

wonder if he really didn't get vaccinated or if he was just pretending

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

lih posted:

https://twitter.com/PressClubAust/status/1495899557934387206

clive's got covid lol

wonder if he really didn't get vaccinated or if he was just pretending

100% just pretending, he's a con artist

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
All this communist "dirt" on Albo is only making him more appealing. Sure, he's not a comrade anymore, but the fact he entered politics from that side and slid towards Labors policies just make me feel like he's more likely to fix medicare/centrelink and put dental on there.

lih
May 15, 2013

love all the state governments delusionally removing mask mandates when we're only a few weeks past the peak. hospitals will get overwhelmed again a few weeks later and they'll go "how could we have known"

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/feb/22/scott-morrison-backs-bill-that-allows-exclusion-of-transgender-people-from-single-sex-sports

and morrison further deciding to pick a fight on trans rights. the bill's obviously not going to happen before the election and isn't coalition policy yet, just a private bill from a particularly transphobic backbencher, but it's a bad sign of where things are going.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lih posted:

love all the state governments delusionally removing mask mandates when we're only a few weeks past the peak. hospitals will get overwhelmed again a few weeks later and they'll go "how could we have known"

There' still a fair few places where you gotta wear them in Victoria
Going by what happens in other countries this probably won't cause another wave of omicron, when the next variant comes along though it could be fun

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

lih posted:

I kinda reckon they know full well that the indefinite future is going to be a series of rolling new variant peaks, and the aim now is just to get the economy pumping as much as possible during the troughs.

Or even without new variants, is there any reason to believe that there won't just be another 100,000+ Omicron cases a day again as everyone ventures out of their shadow lockdowns? Most Australians have still never had COVID, there remains plenty of virgin territory for an enterprising virus.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Konomex posted:

All this communist "dirt" on Albo is only making him more appealing. Sure, he's not a comrade anymore, but the fact he entered politics from that side and slid towards Labors policies just make me feel like he's more likely to fix medicare/centrelink and put dental on there.
you're dreaming, he's a neolib fascist like the majority of his party

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Clive is just chucking a sickie to get out of the press club address

lih
May 15, 2013

EoinCannon posted:

Going by what happens in other countries this probably won't cause another wave of omicron, when the next variant comes along though it could be fun

judging by other countries, it'll get worse. denmark removed all mask restrictions and now their death rate per capita is approaching the us's. we're not that stupid yet but it's close - getting rid of masks in most places indoors is ridiculous at the moment.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Love the weasel wording on this "participated in a forum with communists" not "was a communist" or "espoused communist ideals".

Just, "was at a function communists were attending".

Good old guilt by association. Which is loving rich for a paper owned by news corp.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

EoinCannon posted:

Gonna get better soon, too:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-22/covid-mask-rules-to-be-eased-in-victoria/100850046 posted:

From 11:59pm on Friday, February 25, masks will only be required indoors in certain circumstances, including public transport, hospitals, and for workers in hospitality and retail.

lih
May 15, 2013

qld health minister yvette d'ath posted:

We are expecting there to be some sort of secondary wave in the coming months, probably in winter. We don’t know what the future will hold but we assume there will be some sort of wave in winter. How large it will be, we don’t know.

There is a significant chance we will need to introduce mandatory masks wearing at some point, again for a limit period.

When we say mask wearing is mandatory, that means that it’s really necessary. So now that we’re at the end of the wave, now is the time to relax those measures.

lol we're not at the "end of the wave" though. past the peak for now, yes, but not down to some low, stable number of cases/hospitalisations/deaths at all

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I think Albo is a craven hack and might even be completely black pilled on progressive policy from how badly Labor has bled from the majority of their actual good, progressive stuff.

Having said that though, his cabinet looks pretty good.

Mark Dreyfus as Attorney General is good. I believe Labor's federal ICAC is his thing, and historically, even before NSW ICAC made it actually impactful and pretty funny, I remember Dreyfus running against corruption.

You can see it in the current outline for how the ALP's National Anti Corruption Commission will be. Retrospective jurisdiction, powers of a royal commission, ability to investigate on their own initiative, public hearings, ability to make public statements attesting to corruption. They aren't loving around here and there's every reason to think Dreyfus isn't going to fold on this.

On top of that, Shorten is going to be the minister for governmental services. However terrible he was in the past, I think being the guy in charge of the NDIS has changed him, and we can just look at Labors 2019 platform to see the extent of that.

It is a little weird that I'm more excited for two members of Labors right faction than I am for Wong for foreign affairs or Kerri Butler for the environment. But if they did have good stuff planned I'm sure they wouldn't announce it before the election, at least.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Anthony Albanese will be the best Prime Minister since Whitlam.

Believe brothers and sisters. Albomania is upon us.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Anidav posted:

Bring on the Albolanche

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Grace Tame ripped a bong, Albo talked to communists 30 years ago, wow these hit pieces sure are damning. vOv

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Anidav voted for Campbell Newman.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

Anidav voted for Campbell Newman.

wrong account, anidav

lih
May 15, 2013

i don't have a lot of hope for labor being actually good, but it seems plausible that they won't be as terrible as they were under rudd/gillard on welfare etc.

lih fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 22, 2022

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

still remember the last days of the last labour govt. "Okay okay! We'll give you more prison islands! Everyone loves those right?"

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Synthbuttrange posted:

still remember the last days of the last labour govt. "Okay okay! We'll give you more prison islands! Everyone loves those right?"

neo labor is more drones

https://twitter.com/KKeneally/status/1495866952958754817?s=20

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
We need to girlboss the borders.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/mattjcan/status/1495898659887943683

fkn lol

what the gently caress. i swear Labor only goes hard against the dumbest poo poo.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A couple of people have said that this makes them like Albo even more. i.e. he started politics from the left, even if he has sold out to be leader of the Labor party etc.

But my take on this is "reds under the bed" doesn't have the same sort of scare quality in Australia that id does in the US. And so this won't land particularly hard, and those it will land with were not going to vote Labor anyway. It's preaching to the converted.

It's also desperate mudslinging and coming this far out from the election, surely they know this kind of attack would have been better used closer to the actual date.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

what the gently caress does that even mean? like how was this thought formed?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Albomentum

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

SuddenCactus posted:

If only the tyrannical green lobby didn't stop the powerless oil companies, then the west would produce enough oil to stop Russian aggression.

lih
May 15, 2013

keneally is probably the worst labor frontbencher and its totally nonsensical that they let her have a comeback after her time as nsw premier lol

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Do we have enough evidence for a link between coal photo ops and brain damage yet?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

SuddenCactus posted:

It means please notice me right wing twitter scum, I'm relevant I swear.

If you ask what it means or try to describe it you get scoffed at as an idiot who just doesn't get it. It's patently obvious to anyone with a real brain (spider).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Does the right even pretend to care about Putin this week? I'm not sure we have Russiagate discourse down here.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

lih posted:

keneally is probably the worst labor frontbencher and its totally nonsensical that they let her have a comeback after her time as nsw premier lol

Bill Shortens worst decision.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Keneally is a pretty good communicator and would probably be a good weapon to wield against the LNP if only she was tasked to something other than constantly attacking Dutton from the right

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Anidav posted:

As long as it doesn't end in Albomination.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Anidav posted:

Yes, yes, that's very nice, but will there be an Albo shoe which will allow me to store meat products?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

it's an Albolanche!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
when labor lose they will take a photo of albo by himself, photoshop him into a clam and the heading will be "albolonely"