Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

I really don't think that knob switches between night and day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Outrail posted:

I really don't think that knob switches between night and day.

No, but it does switch between NIGHT OFF and DAY, which is the same thing

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Captain Hygiene posted:

I secretly miss the little slideout keyboard on one of my older phones. Duck swiftkey

Same but not secretly. Shame that no one makes phones with physical keys anymore.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

The fundamental problem there is that a flashlight does not need to have that many God drat options. Nobody on the planet will use them. They exist entirely for tacticlol spergs who for some reason have decided that a flashlight is a symbol of their manhood.

Like even if you accept that okay, sure, a flashlight should have a couple of different brightness options and a flashing mode or whatever, some of that poo poo absolutely does not need to be configured on the device on the fly with a single button Morse code interface. Thermal limit settings? Ramping end points?? Who is changing those things out on a camping trip? Just put a loving USB port inside the thing and configure it from your computer. Jesus

Congratulations on finding the only UI option worse than the single button.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Bluetooth everything everywhere and offload it to smartphone apps and voice control

Doorknobs are for pansies and why the gently caress do I have to push a button at all

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Platystemon posted:

it's absolutely fine to offload nitpicky settings that you'll only ever change once to an external configuration tool.

if i were forced by a horrible idiot manager to design a flashlight that had all of those functions controlled by a single button, i would at the very least split it into two interfaces:

1) default mode when turned on; click button to cycle between bright, dim and off

2) stupid garbage configuration mode; hold button down for 10 seconds while it's off to enter this mode, where you can do whatever dumb poo poo you want.

at least that way anyone can just pick up the flashlight and use it.

lmao i can't believe they call people who aren't in their group "muggles."

here is a fantastic podcast episode about them btw https://thefpl.us/episode/273

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

DarkHorse posted:

Bluetooth everything everywhere and offload it to smartphone apps and voice control

Doorknobs are for pansies and why the gently caress do I have to push a button at all

My Osmo Action had an app for configuration (even though the device itself has a full touch screen, go figure) that stopped working when I updated my Android phone. As an added bonus, I couldn't use the camera at all until I downloaded their app and made an account (even though it does absolutely nothing and doesn't pair with your phone as a part of normal operation). Smartphone apps to do things the device ought to do on its own are a terrible idea since they introduce a pretty significant point of failure.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

it's absolutely fine to offload nitpicky settings that you'll only ever change once to an external configuration tool.

I don’t want to plug my flashlight into my computer and install software to mess with the settings, and even if I did, my ability to do so may be compromised in five years by ever‐shifting hardware and software landscape.

Sagebrush posted:

if i were forced by a horrible idiot manager to design a flashlight that had all of those functions controlled by a single button, i would at the very least split it into two interfaces:

1) default mode when turned on; click button to cycle between bright, dim and off

2) stupid garbage configuration mode; hold button down for 10 seconds while it's off to enter this mode, where you can do whatever dumb poo poo you want.

Yeah that could work.

I’ve used a number of devices with simple numeric displays that have similar configuration menus. The numbers only mean something when decoded using a table in the manual or stuck to the side of the device.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ensign Expendable posted:

My Osmo Action had an app for configuration (even though the device itself has a full touch screen, go figure) that stopped working when I updated my Android phone. As an added bonus, I couldn't use the camera at all until I downloaded their app and made an account (even though it does absolutely nothing and doesn't pair with your phone as a part of normal operation). Smartphone apps to do things the device ought to do on its own are a terrible idea since they introduce a pretty significant point of failure.

I forgot to include the parenthetical "wait why can't I get into my house anymore"

It was intended entirely sarcastically, like that commercial of the hyper-modern house that locked the owner out because he got stung by a bee (the swelling rendering his fingerprints, voice, and facial recognition inoperable)

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

The only thing guaranteed to produce a UI worse than a horrible idiot manager is open source software, and guess what this is!

Whether the on-device configuration is "hold down for n seconds" or "click n times" is about the same I'd say. Normal usage of the flashlight is still just press once to turn on, once more to turn off. The biggest crime of that diagram is feature overload.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Flashlight people are insane and still I really like the idea of flashing the firmware of flashlights so I can have a better UX lol.

The f plus had an episode on flashlight people and I want to say someone was asking what ui to install on the flashlight they were giving their 6 year old kid or something.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NFX posted:

Whether the on-device configuration is "hold down for n seconds" or "click n times" is about the same I'd say. Normal usage of the flashlight is still just press once to turn on, once more to turn off. The biggest crime of that diagram is feature overload.

I'd say that "click n times" is worse because you could easily do that unintentionally. Nobody is holding down the flashlight button for 10 seconds by accident.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Big fan of "press power button three times to format the memory card" on that dashcam one.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sagebrush posted:

I'd say that "click n times" is worse because you could easily do that unintentionally. Nobody is holding down the flashlight button for 10 seconds by accident.

idk it might be in a bag with something pressing against it

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Big fan of "press power button three times to format the memory card" on that dashcam one.
Strong tell me you've never had nor been a teenager in shotgun energy.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Same reason cops bodycams are so easy to turn off.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Outrail posted:

Do any major chains give official discounts to cops like vets? I'm sure lots of small businesses do.
I think it's up to franchise owners, but lots of places have one for all first responders.

Phy posted:

Nobody blinks at the Calgary Flames, but if they'd stayed where they started out, in Atlanta...
The real reason the NY Jets play in New Jersey.
I had a Chromebook and there was some incredibly asinine recovery mode procedure where you had to hold the power button for 15 seconds, let it reboot to the damaged OS screen, and repeat 20-30 times.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Platystemon posted:

Neither of us would be affected either way because we wouldn't be using those dumb features, but if hunting down the manual and poring over state machine diagrams is less onerous to you than hooking it to a computer and using a lovely application--even if you have to crack open loving dosbox to run the thing--you lead a very different life than I do.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I feel like it'd be easier to do something like have jumper pins inside the battery compartment or something.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

most of the suggestions to make it easier are very good ideas but add more than you might think to the cost of a unit

even the 'use a computer to configure it' idea, which sounds bad for all of the times I am not at a computer, involves either a USB socket (and a common wear-n-tear failure point) or Bluetooth (and battery drain), and those aren't cheap if you want to avoid those parenthetical downsides

Design of a device should, imo, avoid requiring a PC or phone unless it adds functionality that the computer can do and the device can't (i.e. online firmware updates)- my mouse has lights that have to be configured thru software, and the mouse is connected to the PC 24/7, and it's still obnoxious- but that's just, im, ho, I'm sure that paradigm works for some ppl

idk my 'fanciest' flashlights don't get much more complicated than "off->white->red->red blink->off" but of all the over-engineered one-button arduinoesque devices, that one has a diagram that instantly makes sense to me, but that might just be me

genuine kudos for whoever kicked that diagram out

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Peanut Butler posted:

most of the suggestions to make it easier are very good ideas but add more than you might think to the cost of a unit

My brother went through the process of turning a one-off gadget that he 3d printed into something he can sell, and you're definitely right about how unit cost can get out of control. Sure, it's a buck to add a component, but if you're making 1000, it adds up.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

VictualSquid posted:

Manual for a flashlight
Might as well crosspost

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Bob and George has its place, and that place is 2004

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Neither of us would be affected either way because we wouldn't be using those dumb features, but if hunting down the manual and poring over state machine diagrams is less onerous to you than hooking it to a computer and using a lovely application--even if you have to crack open loving dosbox to run the thing--you lead a very different life than I do.

Hunting down the manual: Google <product name> <pdf>, if I haven’t already filed it away myself.

Hooking it to a computer: hunt for a FireWire cable in my big box of cables. Give up entirely when I realize that the software only exists on a CD and may not work on anything since Windows XP.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

What is the appeal of a white car?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I feel like it'd be easier to do something like have jumper pins inside the battery compartment or something.

This is what DIP switches are for, isn't it? Stick a bunch of those in the battery compartment, old-school remote control style.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m the natural car color.

ToxicFrog posted:

This is what DIP switches are for, isn't it? Stick a bunch of those in the battery compartment, old-school remote control style.

Those may be incompatible with the construction or assembly of the product (e.g. all the components are surface‐mount), and even if there’s no technical reason to leave them out, it helps your profit margins.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Turkmenbashi legislated that all cars in the capital be white

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
white cars dont absorb light as readily as darker colors

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I think they're mostly work vans and fleet vehicles

Now, silver and grey (which are the same loving colour) I don't get. Why live your life like that?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I think China really throws off that statistic. Easily 90% of the cars on the road here are white for some reason.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

flavor.flv posted:

I think they're mostly work vans and fleet vehicles

Now, silver and grey (which are the same loving colour) I don't get. Why live your life like that?

In my experience those are bought for people who make sales calls to their customers.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Something about green cars makes me think of the mid 90's to the mid 2000's. I don't know what causes that association.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

in japan, white cars are popular because they're both not a flashy color and highly visible for safety purposes. why they don't just do daytime running lights here i do not know. bet the share of grey, silver and black cars would shoot up a lot if they did.

Something about green cars makes me think of the mid 90's to the mid 2000's. I don't know what causes that association.
it's the 1989-1995 ford taurus

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I misread it and thought that it was saying 1% of blue cars were deceased. Is there a blue car serial killer on the loose? Is it the same person going after red, silver, and natural cars?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
White cars also look cleaner than color cars. Black shows up dirt way worse than anything else. I regret buying a black car it sucks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
White cars are also the standard in the middle east for obvious reasons. Also seems to be the most common color for fleet vehicles in Europe as well probably just because it's the most generic.

Here's a awful car color chart:

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 11:05 on Feb 22, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Fordite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad