Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sashimi posted:

lmao if the confidence vote failed and we'd have another loving election

TBH, it would be absolutely hilarious if it resulted in another Liberal minority

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

TBH, it would be absolutely hilarious if it resulted in another Liberal minority

The purgatory we all deserve.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sashimi posted:

lmao if the confidence vote failed and we'd have another loving election

Conservatives want to see if siding with a bunch of right wing white supremacists is a winning strategy.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The CPC and NDP are broke, all the writ-period advertising+funding rules would kick in. It would be a bloodbath

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Juul-Whip posted:

The CPC and NDP are broke, all the writ-period advertising+funding rules would kick in. It would be a bloodbath

Has any party ever went into general election with an interim leaders like the current CPC situation? I don't think they could have held a leadership race within the time to an election if the confidence vote failed.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Tying a confidence vote to it was good though, because then they can't come back with "this should have been an election issue!"

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://twitter.com/thejagmeetsingh/status/1495944542310342656?s=21

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
What's the likelihood that Trudeau tries to continue the EA in part or in whole past the 90 days? I peg it at >50%.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The declaration of emergency expires in 30 days unless they vote otherwise before then.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

unlimited shrimp posted:

What's the likelihood that Trudeau tries to continue the EA in part or in whole past the 90 days? I peg it at >50%.

Zero

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

The declaration of emergency expires in 30 days unless they vote otherwise before then.

And, if I'm not mistaken, it's 30 days from the initial declaration on Feb. 15 (date it was in the Gazette), correct, not 30 days from today?

Some media are reporting they voted to "extend" it, but I don't think that's correct. They voted to confirm the declaration of the public order emergency the PM made last week, which is a requirement under the Act.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl

you know, I was really thinking one thing, but this dry translation of the NDP party leader's milquetoast contribution to the Ukraine-Russia question into my mother tongue has completely changed my mind. I'm so grateful that Jagmeet and co are on the scene to illuminate us with forceful, game-changing wisdom and insight.

Jam Band Death Cult fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 22, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

HackensackBackpack posted:

And, if I'm not mistaken, it's 30 days from the initial declaration on Feb. 15 (date it was in the Gazette), correct, not 30 days from today?

Some media are reporting they voted to "extend" it, but I don't think that's correct. They voted to confirm the declaration of the public order emergency the PM made last week, which is a requirement under the Act.

Yeah, they didn't extend it at all, it could have been voted down and retroactively invalidated, but it was confirmed. Reporting on this has been really uneven.

They have 60 days to commission an inquiry into the circumstances that lead to invoking the emergency order, but the order itself is done 30 days after being invoked and parliament can vote to terminate it or extend it before then.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 22, 2022

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah barring a major change in status quo, this.

The blockades are gone and the money is frozen. They might even lift it before the 30 days are up. The main need for it seemed to be the giant police operation, which is winding down now.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

Jam Band Death Cult posted:

you know, I was really thinking one thing, but this dry translation of the NDP party leader's milquetoast contribution to the Ukraine-Russia question into my mother tongue has completely changed my mind. I'm so grateful that Jagmeet and co are on the scene to illuminate us with forceful, game-changing wisdom and insight.

The joke is he wrote "Vladimir Poutine", op.

Jam Band Death Cult
Feb 29, 2008

I'm Very Glad I'm Going To Be An Earl

impossiboobs posted:

I mean I know but the superior joke fodder is that we call Poilievre, Carlson, Zemmour, Trump and others on the pro-Russia spectrum 'poutinistes'.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://twitter.com/nello4transcona/status/1495892445825052676

You're so close, Nello

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It's Canada, how many different governments could we even have?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah barring a major change in status quo, this.

The blockades are gone and the money is frozen. They might even lift it before the 30 days are up. The main need for it seemed to be the giant police operation, which is winding down now.

I will assume they'll want to keep things up for at least this week, to see if those trucker bases out in farmer's fields outside the city mobilize and try to get back in this weekend. Cops today reduced the size of the "secure zone" around downtown Ottawa. Used to go as far south as the Queensway but now it only goes to Somerset and the Byward Market isn't part of the red zone anymore. But I suppose they could expand it at any time if they want or see the need.

Catherine McKenney said they're bringing a motion to city council on Wednesday to keep a stretch of Wellington closed to cars indefinitely. I wonder how fast they could make that happen if it's approved.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:same:

It did what it had to do, it'll expire without fanfare.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

impossiboobs posted:

That is how we spell Putin in french so I'm not sure where the joke is.

Gros Tarla fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 22, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm not really knocking the French since everyone pronounces it wrong in English too, but the Pou in Poutine is pronounced poo right? Or maybe even a shorter sound? That is to say, not the pew sound that it should be?

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

I'm not really knocking the French since everyone pronounces it wrong in English too, but the Pou in Poutine is pronounced poo right? Or maybe even a shorter sound? That is to say, not the pew sound that it should be?

Yeah, it's pronounced exactly like the meal. And it is not specific to Quebec, the whole francosphere spells and pronounces it like that.

Also, fun fact: Poutine is also used as a word for "something complicated" which kinda tracks !

Gros Tarla fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 22, 2022

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

PittTheElder posted:

No it's Путин. I'm pretty sure it would have to be Пютин or something for it to be a "pew" sound. "Poutine" is pretty much the Russian pronunciation.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

lol these guys are just lost without their organizers

https://twitter.com/_llebrun/status/1495982036280131585

~look at this stuff, isn't it neat? us convites, really should admit defeat~

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Lead out in cuffs posted:

No it's Путин. I'm pretty sure it would have to be Пютин or something for it to be a "pew" sound. "Poutine" is pretty much the Russian pronunciation.

kinda - the second half of poutine is pronounced "een", and in Russian Putin's name's second half is a much shorter "in" sound, with the stress on the first syllable of his name.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

unlimited shrimp posted:

This is the most clueless post in here in a while.

I don't even know what 90 days you're referring to and there is zero chance they would want to extend it any longer than absolutely necessary.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

If you google the Emergencies Act the first result says (or said, up until yesterday) it lasts for 90 days

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you google the Emergencies Act the first result says (or said, up until yesterday) it lasts for 90 days

So you're saying they did their own research.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

But news says 30 days, it'll be over mid-March unless these pieces of poo poo remain.

I love the Con bullshit - "WHY DID YOU NEED TO DO THIS. WE HAD RULES IN PLACE."

Well you loving maga-assholes ghoul - no one loving listened in the first place. Eat poo poo.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Tamara Lich bail DENIED

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

MasterSitsu posted:

Tamara Lich bail DENIED

gently caress yeah - rot in hell rear end in a top hat.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress yeah - rot in hell rear end in a top hat.

She'll be at the OCDC so, yeah, Hell.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Right, kind of what I expected.

90 days is for a public welfare emergency, not a public order emergency.

Public welfare being like a disease or enormous natural disaster.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

glen is live tweeting it

https://twitter.com/glen_mcgregor/status/1496126460796575747?s=21

maybe briane offered to drive her home

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

The built up their truck city in downtown Ottawa and flouted the law, the tickets, the injunctions, and I guess just assumed this poo poo would never come back to bite them in the rear end.

hosed aboot, found oot.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Lol the judge dunked on their entire bail reasoning in a flash

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Justice Bourgeois

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Dispensing bourgeois justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's nice to finally see somebody get some consequences for their actions.

Even if she gets out in a month, It's a month more than she thought she was going to spend in jail. A month more than i thought she was going to spend in jail.