Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

Notorious rear end in a top hat's Treaty Organization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

fart simpson posted:

how exciting are things going to get if this keeps up?

Precipitous drop in crop yields for countries that can't find substitute suppliers with enough quantity of fertilizer inputs in a timely manner. Looks like it's dependent on the type of crop but to give one example, the yield of rice ranges from 19%-41% increase in crop yield from applying fertilizer to rice.

edit: Drop in crop yields but got number wrong in this post.

Danann has issued a correction as of 07:46 on Feb 22, 2022

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Danann posted:

Precipitous drop in crop yields for countries that can't find substitute suppliers with enough quantity of fertilizer inputs in a timely manner. Looks like it's dependent on the type of crop but to give one example, the yield of rice ranges from 19%-41% increase in crop yield from applying fertilizer to rice.

Middle East is extremely hosed right now

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

SKULL.GIF posted:

They went from "We are withdrawing troops" to "We are sending in troops".

I am asking you to recognize that the circumstances have changed.

might have something to do with Ukraine explicitly saying they reject Budapest and will never adhere to the Minsk treatys. but nah just keep ignoring important events that provide vital context

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Danann posted:

Arab Spring, but everywhere?!?!?!

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

thatfatkid posted:

might have something to do with Ukraine explicitly saying they reject Budapest and will never adhere to the Minsk treatys. but nah just keep ignoring important events that provide vital context

Cuh, we're like a million miles beyond rhetoric. The only thing that matters now is action. Look at what people do, not what they say.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Man Musk posted:

That's very funny. I'm accusing you of gatekeeping things you are totally unqualified for and quite pretentious to assume.

You're running around like Chicken Little ITT screaming about how the Russians are coming and we can't see THE TRUTH which is RIGHT BEFORE OUR VERY EYES!!!

imo you should roll up a joint and light that poo poo, partnuh :catdrugs:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Man Musk posted:

In case you're accusing me of willing our reality into existence, I'm not. Honestly, we're like 200 years outgrown the past international legal framework of nation states.

The writing has been on the wall for some time.

It just wasn't worth talking about it with you loser ad infinitum.

why is it worth it now?

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

so does the “dude, I’ve been tracking Russian troop movements for three months” guy get to be the new brown Moses?

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

thatfatkid posted:

But Ukraine did neither of those things.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

fart simpson posted:

how exciting are things going to get if this keeps up?

It's real bad. Whats happening in Paraguay, Argentina and southern Brazil with their corn and soy crops getting fried from heat will have repercussions on global food prices. This is before the potash and now increasing nitrogen shortage. Iraq is importing wheat. If Ukrainian wheat exports get curtailed at all in next year, all hell will break loose. If US decides to go nuclear on Russian sanctions and you live outside North America or China, food inflation will be nightmarish.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
What is with all the D&D hawks in here today wtf

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

would like to take a baseball bat to them

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

what even is a ukraine anyway? :thunk:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

Arab Spring, but everywhere?!?!?!

A lot of the old overpopulation rhetoric was based on estimations of total possible food production before the widespread use of chemical fertilizers. And all the talk of how we make more than enough food to feed everyone is based on agricultural production reliant on chemical fertilizers.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

fart simpson posted:

why is it worth it now?

The rails have been taken off. There will be virtually no difference whether Russia takes Donbas or goes all the way to Moldova. This is very serious because it says that then Xi can take Taiwan without consequence.

The ceiling on escalation has essentially been removed as of 2022-02-21

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

nigel thornberry posted:

so does the “dude, I’ve been tracking Russian troop movements for three months” guy get to be the new brown Moses?

in what sense

cuz I'll take CIA shill money, I've got bills to pay

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Guys Putin has sent more troops to regions of Ukraine hes unofficially had troops in for 8 years and formally recognized separatist regions the Ukrainian government has had 0 control over in those same 8 years.

The prophecy of 150,000 Ivans blitzkrieging Kiev has come true.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

MLSM posted:

they are doing a victory lap cause they were technically right about Russia “invading” Ukraine. of course nobody cares and it’s really a self-own by the libs in its own way, but they’ve needed a win badly and this will be one of the few moments they can savor for a long, long time

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

what even is a ukraine anyway? :thunk:

a collection of uppity oblasts

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

in what sense

cuz I'll take CIA shill money, I've got bills to pay

exactly. go get that cia bag, you’ve earned it

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Man Musk posted:

The rails have been taken off. There will be virtually no difference whether Russia takes Donbas or goes all the way to Moldova. This is very serious because it says that then Xi can take Taiwan without consequence.

I feel as if this is an exaggeration.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/wewuzclean/status/1495938130272301060?s=20&t=ZG6fnmQ5Glap83byUVf1WQ

awesome. expect more posting like this in the next year.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

MLSM posted:

trump thread posters who only want to play leftist on the weekends and enthusiastically voted for the rapist joe biden

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Man Musk posted:

gently caress off already you freak

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gresh posted:

The prophecy of 150,000 Ivans blitzkrieging Kiev has come true.

the Russian military is so infiltrated with fascists that they're going blitzkrieg Kiev instead of gluboki boi???

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Bidens response begins and ends with sanctions, and weak ones at that.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Man Musk posted:

Yes. It is as clear as day what right and wrong is. You do not need a foil or an insane amount of whataboutism to form an opinion on something so obvious. Whether our reality reflects that is a different matter.

what?

seriously what on earth is this supposed to mean, or did you respond to the wrong person?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Man Musk posted:

looks like baby needs a nap

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

Man Musk posted:

This is very serious because it says that then Xi can take Taiwan without consequence.

cmon man, stop getting my hopes up

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

check out man musk's post history in this thread for a good laugh

the seamless transition from signal boosting the hong kong fail protests to insisting that kazakhstan was definitely not a color revolution attempt and that russian troops would never leave is *chef's kiss*

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

gradenko_2000 posted:

the Russian military is so infiltrated with fascists that they're going blitzkrieg Kiev instead of gluboki boi???

Libs angry Putin might kill the US funded nazis in Ukraine

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Majorian posted:

I feel as if this is an exaggeration.

I guess we'll see, but what this incident has demonstrated is that the West has not only lost the soft power capacity to impose unacceptable cost on committed action by minor powers, but that they're toothless when it comes to kinetic intervention against near peers - or at least in the context of situations in which they have no previous serious defense commitments in place (and that they're reticent to absorb more that'd potentially be liabilities).

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

trump thread posters who only want to play leftist on the weekends and enthusiastically voted for the rapist joe biden

No no. You don't get to blame my beautiful thread for this poo poo. This is free-range neoliberalism.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Grem posted:

Bidens response begins and ends with sanctions, and weak ones at that.

which is probably the worst response, saying you are upset but you can’t be bothered to actually stop Russia

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

imagine the banger the Chinese are gonna write when Taiwan finally does get unified. I’m crying just thinking about it

https://youtu.be/bG9hSIyDQcc

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

I guess we'll see, but what this incident has demonstrated is that the West has not only lost the soft power capacity to impose unacceptable cost on committed action by minor powers, but that they're toothless when it comes to kinetic intervention against near peers - or at least in the context of situations in which they have no previous serious defense commitments in place (and that they're reticent to absorb more that'd potentially be liabilities).

Yeah it was kind of loving dickish for us to promise Ukraine NATO membership when we knew we couldn't possibly keep that promise and were actually just hanging a target on Ukraine's back.

It's almost like we Wimp Lo-ed Ukraine.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

ram dass in hell posted:

No no. You don't get to blame my beautiful thread for this poo poo. This is free-range neoliberalism.

You and your lovely thread suck and you should gently caress off

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Man Musk posted:

it says that then Xi can take Taiwan without consequence.

nice, fingers crossed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

MLSM posted:

You and your lovely thread suck and you should gently caress off

Turn on your monitor