Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

admanb posted:

when you break through tiers it jumps up. For example, you have to hit 600 to finish T1 but as soon as you do you run chaos dungeons for 802. Same thing happens at 1100 to 1302.

current max is 1370, I believe

For context on this: each tier starts just above where +25 gear for the old tier gets you. But you only need to be +15 to actually make the switch, so you basically skip over all the stuff in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Not the biggest numbers but I’m levelling a Scrapper and she has a handful of “I press this and delete everything by punching or kicking the ground” moves and it feels very satisfying.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

What card do you have? I’ve run this game on multiple different cards and had decent results on all of them.

RX 580. Under normal circumstances I'm getting about 90 FPS (which is more than I need by a long shot, and I'd rather not be pushing the card 100% constantly when I don't need to be), but frequent drops and stutters down into the 40s or below - and like I mentioned, pet item pickups specifically basically make it seize up for half a second.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

RX 580. Under normal circumstances I'm getting about 90 FPS (which is more than I need by a long shot, and I'd rather not be pushing the card 100% constantly when I don't need to be), but frequent drops and stutters down into the 40s or below - and like I mentioned, pet item pickups specifically basically make it seize up for half a second.

Are you on an SSD or HDD?

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Hefty posted:

What’s your favorite big numbers class?

Deleting bosses with the Soul Fist's spirit bomb is pure joy; in a few guides it gets referenced as the hardest hitting ability in the game but I don't know how currently accurate that is.

If you miss it you will feel like uninstalling tho.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Russian Remoulade posted:

Deleting bosses with the Soul Fist's spirit bomb is pure joy; in a few guides it gets referenced as the hardest hitting ability in the game but I don't know how currently accurate that is.

If you miss it you will feel like uninstalling tho.

From watching class guides and info prior to launch it sounds like the spirit bomb is still the hardest hitting skill in the game especially on a crit - it can apparently crit for over 200m damage in Korean endgame content.

But yeah, the class is definitely feast or famine.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

MarcusSA posted:

Are you on an SSD or HDD?

SSD. Not the newest one ever (Samsung 860 EVO) but good enough I've never had issues with any other games with loading.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Hefty posted:

I’ve been playing Paladin and blue Gunlancer and neither is scratching the big crits itch. I burned myself out a bit on Berserker and red Gunlancer hasn’t clicked for me yet for whatever reason (even though it’s aesthetically awesome), so I’m looking for something new.

Scrapper's shock build has 2 attacks that are basically single giant hits(Death Rattle and Supernova), it's pretty satisfying.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

wow this stealth mission in shushire is some garbage - the cutscene where you chump the guards who were lethal moments ago is the cherry on top.

that said, it is kind of funny this game really has a bit of everything, including bad stealth gameplay

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

wow this stealth mission in shushire is some garbage - the cutscene where you chump the guards who were lethal moments ago is the cherry on top.

that said, it is kind of funny this game really has a bit of everything, including bad stealth gameplay

Game need more mecha suit dungeons though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I was wondering if I could solicit everyones help. I started streaming Lost Ark at launch, and got affiliate status on Twitch thanks to everyones help here. Now I want to push for partnership. One of the requirements is 75 viewer average. If all you can do is just lurk and keep the stream up in the background, that would mean a lot to me! It would help me get there much faster with goon help. Plus I am a Lost Ark content creator with AGS, so I have drops enabled when I am streaming. https://www.twitch.tv/omgitsbees I am streaming right now too!

I won't spam the thread with this, just wanted to mention my push for partner this one time, and here specifically because my focus is on Lost Ark.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I have been told here that staying close to the bosses' side or rear end is great most of the time; I have tried that a few times today, and I greatly disagree that that is not a good general guideline. Vertus apparently has a no-tell instant grab; I was not initially stunned or anything. Vertus just grabbed me and instant kill me at full health as a paladin with ilvl 450.

Edit: I have also got some engraving accessories. The margin of error is not much better

Flair fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 22, 2022

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Anyone on a PC that wasn't built within the last 2 years on a newer card should try DX9. It feels way more stable to me. I had stuttering and loot lag on DX11, but DX9 is smooth.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Finding a party for Tytalos is extra silly with server issues tonight. The one time my join request got through one person AFK'd from the start, haha. At least I have an okay handle on the instant kill gimmick now! Too bad I need to clear it to get to the tier 2 raids. Maybe the rest bonus is really for putting annoying things off for another day...

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

Whoreson Welles posted:

Not the biggest numbers but I’m levelling a Scrapper and she has a handful of “I press this and delete everything by punching or kicking the ground” moves and it feels very satisfying.

M. Night Skymall posted:

Scrapper's shock build has 2 attacks that are basically single giant hits(Death Rattle and Supernova), it's pretty satisfying.

Ooh, I’ve been meaning to try Scrapper in PvP anyway. Gonna queue up a boost.

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?
What are the odds.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Flair posted:

I have been told here that staying close to the bosses' side or rear end is great most of the time; I have tried that a few times today, and I greatly disagree that that is not a good general guideline. Vertus apparently has a no-tell instant grab; I was not initially stunned or anything. Vertus just grabbed me and instant kill me at full health as a paladin with ilvl 450.

Vertus is like, the one boss so far where that's not the best plan - he has a tail swipe stun when you're behind him, and a 360 degree melee range attack that's pretty chunky. He was definitely annoying as heck to fight as a melee character. There's still enough to land your hits though as long as you're careful to not commit to anything that locks you in place unless you have a big enough window. As a ranged character you want to stand like, just outside where you'd get hit by that 360 attack, close enough to dodge around when he turns but far enough to not get immediately hit.

The grab is just a stagger check for your teammates. Someone's gonna get grabbed, the other three players need to land enough stagger to stop it being a kill.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The grab is definitely annoying when you're the one player in the squad who actually puts out decent stagger damage, so when anyone else gets grabbed they're fine but if you get grabbed it's a cart.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Jabor posted:

Vertus is like, the one boss so far where that's not the best plan - he has a tail swipe stun when you're behind him, and a 360 degree melee range attack that's pretty chunky. He was definitely annoying as heck to fight as a melee character. There's still enough to land your hits though as long as you're careful to not commit to anything that locks you in place unless you have a big enough window. As a ranged character you want to stand like, just outside where you'd get hit by that 360 attack, close enough to dodge around when he turns but far enough to not get immediately hit.

The grab is just a stagger check for your teammates. Someone's gonna get grabbed, the other three players need to land enough stagger to stop it being a kill.

I know the mechanics of all the bosses I face. I am just saying that decent amount of the bosses' tells and windup come off as incredibly unfair especially if you are just at the ilvl the game even recommends you to be.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Flair posted:

I know the mechanics of all the bosses I face. I am just saying that decent amount of the bosses' tells and windup come off as incredibly unfair especially if you are just at the ilvl the game even recommends you to be.

Well... you didn't seem to know how his grab worked, so I don't think it's weird that someone would explain it to you.

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Recommended ilvl is basically ball buster difficulty as far as I can tell. Also like...it takes practice...

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Flair posted:

I've been grabbed multiple times while at range. It's not a good example of being in melee = bad.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

admanb posted:

Well... you didn't seem to know how his grab worked, so I don't think it's weird that someone would explain it to you.

I know that grab can be staggered out of if your party has the stagger. What I was pointing out was that I followed the numerous advice in the thread about getting close and personal to see what the boss was doing, and the grab is incredibly unfair. There are also "video guides" online that say he only grabs after he freezes or stuns you which is a lie.

Vertus also has windup breathe attack, but if you are up close, it immediately stuns and if he is aiming it at you, you either go low health or get one shot at the ilvl.

I can see why even the Korean region of the game has "busses" where tier3 players carry low ilvl for various guardians and dungeons in exchange for golds.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Yeah because the grab just happens. It's not a melee mechanic, it's a stagger mechanic.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
Maybe I missed it, but is there another way to get the mats to repair your boats for running missions from your stronghold? I need more crude ore, and the only way to get them is once a day you can mine a couple from your farm?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I really don't understand why the fun parts of this game are gated behind the most frustrating and mind-numbing nonsense.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

admanb posted:

Yeah because the grab just happens. It's not a melee mechanic, it's a stagger mechanic.

I am not saying if it is a melee mechanic or stagger mechanic. I am saying that it is unfair because it can just happen with very little tell and it does immediate damage (and it is a significant at 420). The necromancer got a stagger mechanics as well but it does not immediately do damage.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
the grab isn't that bad even if your party sucks, theres a window after he tosses you into the air where you can pot and survive even on squishy classes. also I don't see why tells are an issue when its a guaranteed mechanic anyway. someone's going to get grabbed whether you see it coming or not

Gishin
Jun 15, 2013

But... This... What is this practice for?

YES bread posted:

the grab isn't that bad even if your party sucks, theres a window after he tosses you into the air where you can pot and survive even on squishy classes.

Not if it's the scorpion grab. I don't know if that's the one we're talking about though because I don't remember any of the names yet.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Rotten posted:

Maybe I missed it, but is there another way to get the mats to repair your boats for running missions from your stronghold? I need more crude ore, and the only way to get them is once a day you can mine a couple from your farm?

You can just use normal ores, like, the ones you can just mine everywhere.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Vertus is a lovely fight and you should just ask some ilvl 1000 goon in the discord to kill yours for you once you’re sick of bouncing off him. It takes like 5 min to drag a group of 4 through it

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

YES bread posted:

the grab isn't that bad even if your party sucks, theres a window after he tosses you into the air where you can pot and survive even on squishy classes. also I don't see why tells are an issue when its a guaranteed mechanic anyway. someone's going to get grabbed whether you see it coming or not

I guess this is a problem with the forum format because the original reply has gone up a couple of other replies now:
TLDR: I think most bosses in the tier 1 endgame have a bunch of unfair movement that more or less guarantee damage that players that are just at the tier 1 boundary cannot afford to take it, and I noted that some of the movement can happen offscreen so you can just get hit randomly without being able to see the boss sometimes. Eventually it all adds up, and if you are in a party full of people just at that ilvl, even if you know about the boss's various movement, your party is going to take 15-20 minutes. Some people suggested that I get up close and personal. I followed that, and I came back to point out various things that don't work with that advice.

Anyway, to your point, I can expend a pot before getting tossed up in the air, but you have a limit of 5 pots. Eventually, in 15-20 minutes of guaranteed damage because tier 1 bosses got some quick attacks, the party is going to run out of pots and revives.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rotten posted:

The repair cost is EITHER use the two mats on the top (special ore and wood from the stronghold farm), OR the two on the bottom (normal ore and wood that you can gather shitloads of outside).

Gishin posted:

Not if it's the scorpion grab. I don't know if that's the one we're talking about though because I don't remember any of the names yet.

Vertus is the dragon, the 4th tier-1 guardian.

Hefty posted:

I’ve been playing Paladin and blue Gunlancer and neither is scratching the big crits itch. I burned myself out a bit on Berserker and red Gunlancer hasn’t clicked for me yet for whatever reason (even though it’s aesthetically awesome), so I’m looking for something new.

Artillerist is a hootin' good time. Your main dps moves are (1) drop a homing beacon, then 3-4 seconds later a nuclear missile falls on it for a single giant number, and (2) shoot a giant shell into the air, then 3 seconds later it falls down and explodes for a single giant number. You also get loads of crit rate from your tripods + class engravings.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead

Infinity Gaia posted:

You can just use normal ores, like, the ones you can just mine everywhere.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The repair cost is EITHER use the two mats on the top (special ore and wood from the stronghold farm), OR the two on the bottom (normal ore and wood that you can gather shitloads of outside).

Ah I didn't realize you could do those since I was out of those mats too. For some reason I was thinking it took everything listed, not 2 different sets.
Thanks!

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

I run a 2060 super and a 3600 and I get the frequent stuttering, I've spent ages trying to fix it with no luck. One thing that always gets recommended (although it didn't help me) is to turn off area chat and disable chat notifications, YMMV.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
e: got shoved off the page, trying again

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 22, 2022

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Flair posted:

Anyway, to your point, I can expend a pot before getting tossed up in the air, but you have a limit of 5 pots. Eventually, in 15-20 minutes of guaranteed damage because tier 1 bosses got some quick attacks, the party is going to run out of pots and revives.

If your guardian fight has gone on 15+ minutes then the problem is not potions, it's damage. Even in really messy groups I have never had a successful clear go past 13 minutes (the average is more like 9) and your potion stock is refreshed when you die so I've never actually ran out of pots either. I have only done guardians in regular pub matchmaking.

People largely agree that Vertus is exceptional in that his threat radius is too big and that his tail wag tells are too subtle. He is the one fight where you want to stick in one or two good hits after an attack recovery and then fall back because his threats are too unpredictable. The fact that hugging the boss' rear end is something you should explicitly not do to Vertus does not mean it's bunk advice.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Suppose I'll try Tytalos tomorrow after multiple runs of being the only one not dying. Very real bard/support struggles, I guess! At least the server seems better now.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Scoss posted:

If your guardian fight has gone on 15+ minutes then the problem is not potions, it's damage. Even in really messy groups I have never had a successful clear go past 13 minutes (the average is more like 9) and your potion stock is refreshed when you die so I've never actually ran out of pots either. I have only done guardians in regular pub matchmaking.

People largely agree that Vertus is exceptional in that his threat radius is too big and that his tail wag tells are too subtle. He is the one fight where you want to stick in one or two good hits after an attack recovery and then fall back because his threats are too unpredictable. The fact that hugging the boss' rear end is something you should explicitly not do to Vertus does not mean it's bunk advice.

Of course damage is why my clears are mostly to 15-20 minutes. Like I said, the party is full of people at the boundary of 340, 380, and 420. (I am going to ignore Ur'nil since he is relatively easy.) Most of my clears have been at 15+ minute mark. My fastest Vertus clear is 14 minutes and 5 seconds. My slowest guardian clear is 19 minutes 43 seconds on Lumerus.

"The fact that hugging the boss' rear end is something you should explicitly not do to Vertus does not mean it's bunk advice." Alright, so are you saying that if I use my alts (Bard and Gunlancer) for the necromancer dungeon and Lumerus, that if I hug their sides and/or behind, it would work better than what I did with my main on Vertus? As I have said before, I am only looking at the mechanics and movements of the tier 1 endgame stuff.

Also, "your potion stock is refreshed when you die so I've never actually ran out of pots either." I have had cases where I revived and my potions to use 5 again does not show up, and from my experience, the 5 potions are permanently subtracted from my inventory, so I am not too sure what you are trying to say here. I went from 99+ potions to 50 today for my main on Vertus alone.

Flair fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The potions are consumed from your inventory, but you are only allowed to "carry" 5 at a time. My understanding is touching the circle at the beginning is what refills you up to "carrying" 5 again (drawing from your inventory stock, not generating potions out of thin air). Usually this happens when you die but technically you can also just walk back and refill. You can also change gear and skills from that circle.