Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Grill pans are a pain in the dick to clean.

This and the inferior sear/crust is why I never use the grill side. The last time I used this griddle over my regular 12" Lodge cast iron was because I was making a bunch of smash burgers and more, open space for smashing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
they probably also let a little more oil/fat drain away, but yeah, basically they just give you sear lines in exchange for being difficult to clean

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Paul MaudDib posted:

they probably also let a little more oil/fat drain away, but yeah, basically they just give you sear lines in exchange for being difficult to clean

Just throw it in the dishwasher. Maybe don't actually throw it, those things are heavy, but you know what I mean.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
the ones I’ve seen are cast iron so you probably don’t want to do that lol

I agree with others here, I tried a grill pan and eh, it was just way more effort than it was worth.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Anyone have hot tips for cleaning bare aluminum baking sheets? My NordicWare sheet got a little gross, and the usual soap and sponge weren't doing it, so I took some Barkeeper's Friend to it, and the scunge came off, but it also scratched hell out of it and left it looking pretty abused.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
aluminum baking sheets will always look gross or beat to hell almost immediately, that's like a fundamental rule of the universe. trying to keep one "nice" will only drive you to the brink of madness

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Finish dishwasher tabs work well and don't scuff them in my experience

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
You can somewhat slow down the degradation by using parchment every time you use them, but yeah they are gonna look like poo poo.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Thanks all.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

You actually don't want your aluminum baking sheets to be pristine and shiny new, they cook better when they're well-used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrufGZsP-jo

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I typically put a new sheet pan through the dishwasher once or twice because it makes them darken faster and they brown better. The texture can be a little weird for a while after but it gets better.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Ive used one half sized aluminum sheet pan for like five years and it looks like a prop from a post apocalyptic movie and who cares it works great

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is the Marcato Atlas Regina a good pasta extruder?

I have a Marcato Atlas 150 and love it, but I'd like to make 3D noodles.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

Is the Marcato Atlas Regina a good pasta extruder?

I have a Marcato Atlas 150 and love it, but I'd like to make 3D noodles.

I've been on the fence about buying one for years thinking about limited die options (though I wonder if you could 3d print custom ones now) and the thought of cleaning it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

I've been on the fence about buying one for years thinking about limited die options (though I wonder if you could 3d print custom ones now) and the thought of cleaning it.

I've used some of these and even with a good dough the force on the extrusion die is immense. The KitchenAid version uses a metal frame where only the pasta outlets (???) aren't covered, I think they had to do this to provide strength. I would expect any kind of printable plastic at this thickness to be unable to provide enough rigidity unless you're able these days to implant glass/carbon/kevlar fibre or something.

I actually wonder if the KitchenAid dies are ceramic with that metal surround too.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I've used some of these and even with a good dough the force on the extrusion die is immense. The KitchenAid version uses a metal frame where only the pasta outlets (???) aren't covered, I think they had to do this to provide strength. I would expect any kind of printable plastic at this thickness to be unable to provide enough rigidity unless you're able these days to implant glass/carbon/kevlar fibre or something.

I actually wonder if the KitchenAid dies are ceramic with that metal surround too.

Doesn't shapeways let you print in metals now? I forget what options there are or how strong they'd be.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

Doesn't shapeways let you print in metals now? I forget what options there are or how strong they'd be.

They do, some goon was selling metal nerd dice they had Shapeways produce, but the quality looked awful and I wonder if they're doing some kind of 3d printing of a metal powder embedded paste and then baking it to produce a sintered component. You could autocad up some plates and have them machined in aluminum or steel if you wanted to spend a few hundred each.

The other issue with 3d printing traditionally for this would be the pieces that are blocking the internal structure of the pasta (for hollow ones) would be connected with tiny amounts of material.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’m looking for a device that will let me throw stuff into it, set it, forget it, eat the food.

Any goon preferences between crock pots or slow cookers or pressure cookers?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I’m looking for a device that will let me throw stuff into it, set it, forget it, eat the food.

Any goon preferences between crock pots or slow cookers or pressure cookers?

An electric pressure cooker is strictly better than a crock pot apart from price; you can use it as a slow cooker in addition to doing most slow cooker recipes many times faster in pressure cooker mode. Highly recommended for the “thing I can dump food in and pres butan 2 go” angle.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

For that purpose, slow cookers are just more energy-wasteful ways of doing what you can do in a pressure cooker. The only thing is that the pressure cooker doesn't let moisture out so if you're doing something you'd like to have reduce a bit during cooking, you're stuck with thickening it at the end. I got rid of my crock pot when I got an instant pot.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I got an instant pot thinking it would replace my crockpot, but it didn't.

Does the crockpot actually use significantly more energy? Obviously it runs for longer, but I figured it needed less to start with, plus coasted more. Otoh, it's not as well sealed. Either way, absolute worst case a crockpot uses as much energy as a lightbulb, so you won't go broke.

It depends how long you want to walk away for. If you want to put it in before work and come back 8-12 hours later, that's the domain of slow cooking. If you want to come home, get it set up, then walk away for somewhere between 30-90 minutes, that's pressure cooking.

If you have storage space, I would get both. Crockpots really aren't expensive.

Btw, slow cookers and crockpots are interchangeable terms. It's just a brand name, like a tissue vs. a Kleenex.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

Either way, absolute worst case a crockpot uses as much energy as a lightbulb, so you won't go broke.

Just quickly googling, incandescent bulbs are like 60w and slow cookers are around 70-250w.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Arcsech posted:

An electric pressure cooker is strictly better than a crock pot apart from price; you can use it as a slow cooker in addition to doing most slow cooker recipes many times faster in pressure cooker mode. Highly recommended for the “thing I can dump food in and pres butan 2 go” angle.

I am pretty much just about that “dump food, pres button” life.

Hmmm the dream of putting stuff in a slow cooker before work sounds tempting.

But even 30-90 minutes when I get home from work wouldn’t be bad.

I want to to slow cook like a stew and then somehow slow cook just a bunch of veggies and then idk have a rice cooker.

Three components of a meal and I did nothing more than pour stuff into the respective machines.

It sounds silly but even relatively simple cooking takes more time and effort than I was to give on a work weeknight.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Have you heard the good word of our lord and savior salsa chicken?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Just quickly googling, incandescent bulbs are like 60w and slow cookers are around 70-250w.
Incandescent bulbs aren't that old, you don't remember their normal range? 60w is minimum for a dim bedside lamp. You could easily go up to 250+ to light a larger room or for task lighting. Either way, the point is it's pocket change, and cheaper than doing it in the oven.

If your #1 focus is saving energy, get some WWII cookbooks and prepare a crate stuffed with straw. It's actually really interesting if you read them since it's not something we take into consideration today. I don't remember whether what I'm thinking of is in How to Cook a Wolf or something it led me to, but it's a great place to start.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Hmmm the dream of putting stuff in a slow cooker before work sounds tempting.

But even 30-90 minutes when I get home from work wouldn’t be bad.

I want to to slow cook like a stew and then somehow slow cook just a bunch of veggies and then idk have a rice cooker.

Three components of a meal and I did nothing more than pour stuff into the respective machines.

It sounds silly but even relatively simple cooking takes more time and effort than I was to give on a work weeknight.
Most of the time of cooking isn't in stirring the thing in the pot, it's in prep time. You don't just pour a stew into the slow cooker and take it out when it's hot. You wash and cut up the celery, you peel and cut up the carrots, you wash and cut up the potatoes, you peel and dice the onions, you season the meat, you get out 3 bay leaves and finish the jar and write them on the shopping list, you find the bottle of Worcestershire and measure out a tablespoon. Slow cooking is great, but it's not literally pour and pres butan.

True pres butan life is Tovala. Probably don't do this since it's a ludicrous scam.

Another option is to cook ahead. If you have more time on the weekends, make big batches then and eat leftovers during the week.

Another option is to cook simpler stuff. A piece of salmon and sautéed spinach may seem more hands-on since you're standing at the stove, but it takes maybe 15 minutes from fridge to plate.

For vegetables, btw, please do not slow-cook them for 8-12 hours. Please don't. Your microwave will steam them perfectly in 5-10 minutes.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Anne Whateley posted:

Incandescent bulbs aren't that old, you don't remember their normal range? 60w is minimum for a dim bedside lamp. You could easily go up to 250+ to light a larger room or for task lighting. Either way, the point is it's pocket change, and cheaper than doing it in the oven.

60w is much closer to normal for a corner lamp in your living room. But as long as you're not commuting in a private jet or dumping millions of barrels of oil into the Gulf of Mexico, you're doing fine. Energy usage of a crockpot is a weird thing to be concerned about.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Yeah I understand that a lot of the cooking time is the prep. But dumping into a slow cooker is still nicer than like trying to get a perfect sear or perfectly timing dumplings. Standing near the stove and maintaining things.

And yah not gonna slow cook veggies. But like a quick oven roast or microwave steaming would be fun.

I appreciate the feedback :)

Still not sure if I wanna go slow cooker or pressure cooker.

mystes
May 31, 2006

This is 2022. A typical light bulb uses 10w but also worrying about energy usage from a crock pot or pressure cooker is silly.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

mystes posted:

This is 2022.

Big if true

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Yeah I understand that a lot of the cooking time is the prep. But dumping into a slow cooker is still nicer than like trying to get a perfect sear or perfectly timing dumplings. Standing near the stove and maintaining things.

And yah not gonna slow cook veggies. But like a quick oven roast or microwave steaming would be fun.

I appreciate the feedback :)

Still not sure if I wanna go slow cooker or pressure cooker.

As everyone posted there is almost no reason to buy a slow cooker over an electric pressure cooker. There's a ton of versatility that you're giving up for no real reason other than the allure of "slow cooker"

mystes
May 31, 2006

It bears repeating that most electric pressure cookers can be used as slow cookers if you really want, and they probably have better temperature control than the cheapest standalone slow cookers, so if you're not sure just get a pressure cooker and you can try both cooking modes.

That said I almost never use my instant pot in slow cooker mode compared to either pressure cooking or using a dutch oven.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Been doing a lot of deep frying lately and it makes me miss my access to a real deep fryer at my old restaurant jobs

So I've been giving a thought to buying a one- or two-basket countertop deep fryer

Are there recommendations for a good solid one?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I am excited to get a pressure cooker.

Any brands to avoid?

Thank you thread. Gonna slow cook and pressure cook food.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Brawnfire posted:

Been doing a lot of deep frying lately and it makes me miss my access to a real deep fryer at my old restaurant jobs

So I've been giving a thought to buying a one- or two-basket countertop deep fryer

I’ve had good results with this cornballer brand.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I am excited to get a pressure cooker.

Any brands to avoid?

Thank you thread. Gonna slow cook and pressure cook food.

Get an Instant Pot if you want to do both.

mystes
May 31, 2006

They're all pretty similar but instant pots are the most popular and have the most accessories (if you really want to do a lot of slow cooking you can get a dedicated glass lid for instant pots).

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

I've been happy with my Breville for years now.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

Get an electric pressure cooker. I have had an Instant Pot for probably 6+ years. Depending on your pickiness, it can completely enable a "dump food, press button" life.

Here is an example of a very lazy recipe. Grab a bag of mixed frozen veggies, 1 cup lentils, 1 cup rice, 6 cups water (or some of this some sort of stock). Throw in some spices. Push the manual cook button and set it to 15 minutes. Go do something else for 45 minutes - 1 bout and then come back and eat.

You can obviously do actual prep beyond pouring ingredients in but you can also do something really lazy like the above.

It is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Niyqor posted:

Get an electric pressure cooker. I have had an Instant Pot for probably 6+ years. Depending on your pickiness, it can completely enable a "dump food, press button" life.

Here is an example of a very lazy recipe. Grab a bag of mixed frozen veggies, 1 cup lentils, 1 cup rice, 6 cups water (or some of this some sort of stock). Throw in some spices. Push the manual cook button and set it to 15 minutes. Go do something else for 45 minutes - 1 bout and then come back and eat.

You can obviously do actual prep beyond pouring ingredients in but you can also do something really lazy like the above.

It is great.

Heck yeah… this owns.

Ordered!