Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Should give Subterranea a spin after a long, long while, haven't touched that in years and I really loved it back in early 00s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Been getting back into Porcupine Tree. Stupid Dream is still an excellent album.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bill Bruford has announced a big ol boxset of Earthworks material. 20 CDs and 4 DVDs.

quote:

Bill Bruford: Earthworks Complete, 20CD/4DVD Deluxe Boxset
Bill Bruford
£99.99

He's apparently found enough people to sell out of autographed material, but I'm not even close to being wild enough about Earthworks to go for this.

Still, if one of you are completely head over heels about Earthworks, here you are.

Also, Bruford's started up a YouTube account in the past week, with a mix of music and him chatting about things.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lunsku posted:

Should give Subterranea a spin after a long, long while, haven't touched that in years and I really loved it back in early 00s.

I rate Subterranea alongside 666 by Aphrodite's Child. Which is to say: not at all, but it's worth a listen as an interesting curiosity.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Bill Bruford has announced a big ol boxset of Earthworks material. 20 CDs and 4 DVDs.

He's apparently found enough people to sell out of autographed material, but I'm not even close to being wild enough about Earthworks to go for this.

Still, if one of you are completely head over heels about Earthworks, here you are.

Also, Bruford's started up a YouTube account in the past week, with a mix of music and him chatting about things.

I bought a couple earthworks CDs and they were single listens. I love jazz and I love bill bruford, but I DO NOT love earthworks.

Bruford-Levin jazz group was actually pretty listenable though

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Still think the best IQ is their b-side material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0txC8yJEqQ

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I should mention the album that made me turn on IQ (for the better) was a relisten of Dark Matters, an album I initially didn't care for but I gave it another shot and thought 'Yeah, this is alright'. It set me up to enjoy The Road of Bones.

These guys are on the line of being prog (they're described as crossover prog or art rock) but today I listened to Meer and their 2021 album Playing House which was a complex-take on symphonic rock. They remind me of iamthemorning.

And a couple days ago I had a good time with Ayreon's 01011001. This is the third time I've listened to this album and every thing landed so well for me. This was the album that got me interested in his music, but this listen I really paid attention to the lyrics and narrative and I think it's pretty cool. The songwriting is pretty consistent in how catchy and awesome it is. Although I've listened to other albums by him like the Universal Migrator duology and The Human Equation, this is likely going to be my favourite album by him for a long time because it emphasizes the brilliant camp of his songwriting style more than those albums. I had a feeling I could love it from the start and now I do.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Road of Bones might have been my favorite prog album of the past decade, but I've barely listened to any of their other material. Just noticed they now have a whole bunch of their stuff up on Spotify, so I should rectify that soon.

DoubleCakes posted:

And a couple days ago I had a good time with Ayreon's 01011001. This is the third time I've listened to this album and every thing landed so well for me. This was the album that got me interested in his music, but this listen I really paid attention to the lyrics and narrative and I think it's pretty cool. The songwriting is pretty consistent in how catchy and awesome it is. Although I've listened to other albums by him like the Universal Migrator duology and The Human Equation, this is likely going to be my favourite album by him for a long time because it emphasizes the brilliant camp of his songwriting style more than those albums. I had a feeling I could love it from the start and now I do.

Don't sleep on Into the Electric Castle. Human Equation will always be my number one Ayreon record, but that one's a real good time, too.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
What does everyone think of Peter Sinfield's lyrics for early King Crimson? I'm not sure if they're brilliant or terrible; maybe both at once. They're so bombastically cryptic and cryptically bombastic.

21st Century Schizoid Man posted:

Cat's foot iron claw
Neuro-surgeons scream for more
At paranoia's poison door.
Twenty first century schizoid man

The Court of the Crimson King posted:

The gardener plants an evergreen
Whilst trampling on a flower
I chase the wind of a prism ship
To taste the sweet and sour
The pattern juggler lifts his hand
The orchestra begin
As slowly turns the grinding wheel
In the court of the crimson king

Pictures of a City posted:

Blind stick blind drunk cannot see
Mouth dry tongue tied cannot speak
Concrete dream flesh broken shell
Lost soul lost trace lost in hell.

In the Wake of Poseidon posted:

Plato's spawn cold ivyed eyes
Snare truth in bone and globe
Harlequins coin pointless games
Sneer jokes in parrot's robe

Lizard posted:

Wake your reason's hollow vote
Wear your blizzard season coat
Burn a bridge and burn a boat
Stake a Lizard by the throat

Go Polonius or kneel
The reapers name their harvest dawn
All your tarnished devil's spoons
Will rust beneath our corn
Now bears Prince Rupert's garden roam
Across his rain tree shaded lawn
Lizard bones become the clay
And there a swan is born

Someone named Jon Green has written an elaborate attempt to explain all this stuff (which is hosted on Sinfield's website for some reason, so I guess it amuses him even if he doesn't think it's "correct") called Promenade the Puzzle: http://www.songsouponsea.com/Promenade/. Among other things, he argues that the Crimson King in "The Court of the Crimson King" and Prince Rupert in "Lizard" are both Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor, and that "in order to fully understand the depth of Mr. Sinfield's allegories, one must, of necessity, consider his words in the light of Hermetic principles (kabbalah, tarot, alchemy)." Insightful or apophenic?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Silver2195 posted:

Someone named Jon Green has written an elaborate attempt to explain all this stuff (which is hosted on Sinfield's website for some reason, so I guess it amuses him even if he doesn't think it's "correct") called Promenade the Puzzle: http://www.songsouponsea.com/Promenade/. Among other things, he argues that the Crimson King in "The Court of the Crimson King" and Prince Rupert in "Lizard" are both Frederick II, Holy Roman Emperor, and that "in order to fully understand the depth of Mr. Sinfield's allegories, one must, of necessity, consider his words in the light of Hermetic principles (kabbalah, tarot, alchemy)." Insightful or apophenic?

I'm sending *this* to RF, lol

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rust Martialis posted:

I'm sending *this* to RF, lol

RF?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

That other guy in that band

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Fripp. Goddammit I didn't make the connection either!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Actually, I just found Sinfield has explained what he thinks about Green's analysis (though of course his explanation is a bit cryptic in its own right) in this interview:

http://www.songsouponsea.com/q&a1.html

quote:

Jon Swinghammer wrote::
Is there anything to what Jon Green is saying about your lyrics?

Peter Sinfield:
"I am amused/amazed & bemused to say there is! However although he unwittingly flatters my knowledge regarding Fred2 and ignores the er, Courts of Arthur, Alexander, Borge, Rameses, Victoria, Augustus, Louis, JFK, Elizabeth1, Charlemagne, Saladin, Assorted Mings, Xerxes, A Foundation Here and A Worm Rider There Etc Etc. . .ie any ruler who presided over an intense period of learning, yearning and burning and apparently benificial progress (HA) towards the elevation of mankind - Since Fred2 is a such a suitable archytype for said societal rumblings (allegoricaly speaking) -It would be churlish of me to quibble!!! -
He has also on many occasions, to my astonishment, rumbled my more obscure, though pointed and mischievous references to the gnostic, mystic and slapstick!"

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 22, 2022

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

DoubleCakes posted:

Having Jørn Lande on board doesn't hurt, either

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

People don't seem to be loving that new Big Big Train album but out of all of theirs I've heard, it's the most special. There are at least a handful of songs on there that are bops.

In the meanwhile, I burnt out on my IQ dive. Subterranea was too much for me. I had been listening to a lot of other neo-prog at the time (like Arena's The Visitor) so that didn't help. My go with the demo version of Seven Stories into Eight and my revisit with The Wake went really good. I cannot say what exactly about The Wake grabbed me this time around; I just liked it this time.

In a similar vein, I checked out Marillion's Script for a Jester's Tear. I'm not a big fan of neo-prog; I think the genre is pretty samey; but that album had a darkness to it that made it very intriguing plus Fish's singing and lyrics were a cut above.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Those Fish-era Marillion albums have a Gothic darkness about them that's *chef's kiss*

Try out Pallas or Twelfth Night next. They too have a darker edge (which what I generally prefer from my prog).

Speaking of dark releases that cross into the neo-prog era, highly suggest Shingetsu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYOzmd-gdPk

Japanese Genesis rip-offs who only fleshed out one album, but it’s loving good ぶび員

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
It's done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg3osMG5yK4

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Is this Get Back for KC?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

After a mere two years of delay, it looks like I'm finally going to see Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets live in May. I haven't been to a gig of any kind since I saw Alice Cooper backed with the MC5 and the Stranglers in October 2019, so I am stoked.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

In the Court of the Crimson King documentary trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg3osMG5yK4

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Rip Ian McDonald. He was the real deal

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

RIP Ian McDonald. His woodwinds brought so much warmth and breath to ITCOTCK.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've never seen that album title abbreviated as such

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
it's def a thing on progarchives

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Heath posted:

I've never seen that album title abbreviated as such

You bring up a good point. Even after I was done posting it I was uneasy about not using uncapitalized letters. ItCotCK is more distinct.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

DoubleCakes posted:

You bring up a good point. Even after I was done posting it I was uneasy about not using uncapitalized letters. ItCotCK is more distinct.

It's normally all-caps in most KC-related forums I've seen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

And is also less likely to be read as "IT COCK".

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jedit posted:

And is also less likely to be read as "IT COCK".

On The Cock Of The Crimson King :wink:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Doubleposting because new Coheed track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnQf6PNx0DE

More of a power pop vibe like The Color Before The Sun than some of their more progressive stuff but there's also a couple lines of classic early Claudio screaming in there too! I'm looking forward to Vaxis Act II's release.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kazinsal posted:

Doubleposting because new Coheed track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnQf6PNx0DE

More of a power pop vibe like The Color Before The Sun than some of their more progressive stuff but there's also a couple lines of classic early Claudio screaming in there too! I'm looking forward to Vaxis Act II's release.

There's a truly amazing music video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltKTHtMmDJQ

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Procol Harum are on the very edge of "prog adjacent", but lead singer/songwriter Gary Brooker passed away this week. (Announced today, but I believe it happened 2 days ago.)

They've got a pretty varied assortment of tunes with many different degrees of rocking out / balladry / symphonic wankery, but "A Salty Dog" is an old reliable favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xZkBmScwmQ
Edit: Weird, that video is suddenly unavailable. Try this instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOj3kJKy-_U

Of course if you want some pure early-stage prog, look no further than "In Held 'Twas In I" (from 1968):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmGaDL-mcs4

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 23, 2022

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Procol Harum might not be prog rock genre but I think they contributed to the prog rock scene even if they were classified under different names years down the line. RIP

I'm planning on visiting more of their work.

Anyway, Arjen Anthony Lucassen released Revel in Time under his Star One outfit and it's a solid listen. I don't have an inclination to go back immediately but it's a prog metal album with lots of hooks. In fact, I've also been checking out Actual Fantasy Revisited and Electric Castle and Arjen's style just gels with me. He writes chord progressions that are a flavour I prefer.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/DGMHQ/status/1499462443206123528?t=okIRyIUZG5oed8Pl0Avlzw&s=19

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cool. Was excited for a minute that it would be brand new stuff but that was peak frippertronics era.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dates for the Canada/US/Mexico leg of the Porcupine Tree tour have just been released and advance ticket sales for people who pre-ordered the album open tomorrow at 10am local time.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm moving a month before they come to Chicago :negative:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

My brother is a huge prog nerd and Porcupine Tree is one of his favorites. I did the necessary and grabbed two tickets this morning for the Dallas show at the pre-sale. Pretty solid seats too I think, although pricey. Not really familiar with the venue and this will be a road trip for us. Should be fun though.

I like some of Wilson's solo stuff and the few PT albums I've listened to, I dig. I can see how they would be pretty stellar live. BUT, the promo pic is definitely just the three of them. It's been mentioned the bassist is not back for this new material. Do you guys think they tour as a threesome or do they get a ringer to play live with them? It would suck if my (and my brother's) probably only chance to see this band live is with backtracked bass.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

no vancouver show, thanks steve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I just bought PT orchestra seats and my wallet hurts.