Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
the 3070ti FE seem to keep dropping in surprise bulks at BB locations at random

if you are still desperately seeking a card and want to know if there's one near you lmk where you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

maniacripper posted:

EVGA bundles have dropped all their pricing for the 3070ti (100 less) and the 3080 was 930$ bucks. A good sign, I'm sure this will age like milk.

There was a leaker on twitter (greymon55, mostly leaks amd stuff, not sure if they're 100% proven yet) who was saying that prices will drop by a lot in march. I'm not sure how much to believe that, but the current signs have been positive overall. Newegg is mostly nothing but unbundled GPUs for the newegg shuffle now, and all of the bundles are just out there in the newegg store for anyone to buy, and it's been staying in stock for at least a week now. So it stands to reason that should supply continue to improve now that cards are available in some form, prices would have to drop.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Things definitely seem to be on the up - OCUK has loads and loads of 3080s and 3080tis in stock, and the prices are creeping downwards. They used to be like 1500-1600, now you can get a non-ti model for as little as 1100 or so.

At the very least, they are not selling out anymore, they sit on the shelf for days and weeks, which naturally leads to price drops.

When I went shopping in Leicester near where I live, I even saw several xbox series x on the shelves at msrp for the first time since they were released

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Though it's hard to imagine the current US prices being sustainable without bundles to filter out a subset of customers and scalpers.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Alan Smithee posted:

the 3070ti FE seem to keep dropping in surprise bulks at BB locations at random

if you are still desperately seeking a card and want to know if there's one near you lmk where you are

I'm in the LA area would love to know.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Listerine posted:

I'm in the LA area would love to know.

louisiana or los angeles

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

thank god ethereum is falling

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1496042208696414210

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

not even the miners are buying this one lol

quote:

Just to break this down:
1. Github account was created on 18/02/2022;
2. The way they’re releasing it seems designed to maximise attention before release, a common strategy when you need to maximise the install base and only have a limited Window before users realise it doesn’t work;
3. Project has weirdly been forked loads of times by similarly odd/low-activity accounts despite it just being a readme;
4. Chosen file format (.rar) makes heuristic analysis more difficult for Github, reducing the chance of the file being taken down if it’s malicious;
5. Modified display driver is sus as gently caress, let alone managing to do that on two platforms; and
6. Nobody has been able to circumvent NV’s signature requirement in the last decade, which on its own should be a giant red flag.

TL;DR if this gave off any more red flags it would be trying to invade Ukraine. Do not touch with a bargepole until other users have been scammed reliable individuals have confirmed authenticity.

quote:

not to mention no dev fee, anyone with skill set to do this could and would implement a dev fee and it would be worth paying for even if it was 2%
https://reddit.com/r/EtherMining/comments/sy1hu3/_/hxvi1h8/?context=1

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Getting crashes to desktop every few hours in Forza Horizon 5 with my 3070ti. I'm wondering if this could be about running out of video memory, because one thing that sometimes triggers them is repainting a car, which means a lot of new shaders. The game's benchmark says VRAM use is under 7GB in the demo - is there a way I could figure out if it's running out despite that?

I saw something in the patch notes recently about crashes when doing custom paint job stuff on nvidia cards. Happened to me on my 3080ti as well so I don't think it's vram related.

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postsm1241120_Painting-crashes-my-game--KNOWN-ISSUE.aspx

e: sounds like rolling back to 497.xx drivers or disabling GFE overlay fixes it for now

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 22, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a 3070ti haver, the one thing I don’t like is that it has 8gb of RAM. Granted it’s DDR6X so it’s fast but I feel like when these cars are getting long in the tooth that will be a factor.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Yeah I have a friend who knows someone who does custom firmware for ASIC miners. The firmware increases hash rate by 6 or 8% or something and his company gets a 2% cut of everything users mine. This makes so much money that he sold his bitcoin farm because the >100k/mo profit it was making him wasn't worth the 1-2 days a month it took to maintain it. Anyone who could unlock Nvidia LHR cards would be doing something similar. It'd be worth it for 10%, even 1% of that payday. There's no way this is legit.

Also, I doubt that commercial operations care that much about the current price of Eth. If you're that big and you've been running for a while, you must have cleared a significant profit which you could use to keep paying your bills, and at this point you would be holding whatever you mine to sell in the next bubble, not selling on the way down. Very basic business mindset stuff here, I doubt anyone with 7-8 figures in hardware is overlooking that.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 22, 2022

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Things definitely seem to be on the up - OCUK has loads and loads of 3080s and 3080tis in stock, and the prices are creeping downwards. They used to be like 1500-1600, now you can get a non-ti model for as little as 1100 or so.

At the very least, they are not selling out anymore, they sit on the shelf for days and weeks, which naturally leads to price drops.

When I went shopping in Leicester near where I live, I even saw several xbox series x on the shelves at msrp for the first time since they were released

Ebuyer and scan both have 3080s in stock too. Not ever seen 3080s in stock for more than a few seconds. Still more than what I paid for my 3080ti tho. Also ebuyer has 3060tis listed cheaper than I've ever seen them. It looks like prices are slowly coming down at least.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I was going to say that the 6700xt I bought back in October new from Newegg (somehow managed to snag it 'on sale' before it sold out for $800) owns and is cool and good.

I remember AMD/ATI drivers being complete poo poo back in the day but I haven't had any issues with this thing. If you just need a card to play games at 1440p and want to save some money, going red is not as bad as you would think.

I just checked the current prices for the different 6700XTs on Newegg and they're back to $1200+ what the actual gently caress. Last time I checked two weeks ago they were like $800 again... I guess the ride never really ends does it?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

CerealKilla420 posted:

I was going to say that the 6700xt I bought back in October new from Newegg (somehow managed to snag it 'on sale' before it sold out for $800) owns and is cool and good.

I remember AMD/ATI drivers being complete poo poo back in the day but I haven't had any issues with this thing. If you just need a card to play games at 1440p and want to save some money, going red is not as bad as you would think.

I just checked the current prices for the different 6700XTs on Newegg and they're back to $1200+ what the actual gently caress. Last time I checked two weeks ago they were like $800 again... I guess the ride never really ends does it?

You sure it wasn’t a third party seller on NewEgg?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

I saw something in the patch notes recently about crashes when doing custom paint job stuff on nvidia cards. Happened to me on my 3080ti as well so I don't think it's vram related.

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postsm1241120_Painting-crashes-my-game--KNOWN-ISSUE.aspx

e: sounds like rolling back to 497.xx drivers or disabling GFE overlay fixes it for now

Thanks. I can't figure out the point of the GFE overlay anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
would you look at that

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

zotac with the 5% discount :vince:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cool with any luck China will invade Taiwan while the Russians invade Ukraine and those price drops never happen

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if only we could create transistors out of oil

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Alan Smithee posted:

louisiana or los angeles

Los Angeles

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Listerine posted:

Los Angeles

there's 5 3070 TI FE at Burbank

good luck

Doomtrain
Sep 12, 2006
A mood train?
https://twitter.com/NS_ALERTS/status/1496301884243693569

Very tempting to camp out in 19F weather in the middle of winter overnight, but I'm pretty sure I tore the meniscus in my knee so Ill have to sit this out. Real bummer. I'm destroyed. :dukedoge:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

lmao no

can't wait for Buy Fights part 2

https://twitter.com/Ivan_1894/status/1443705578564448275?t=CGrreUmqPNbrveQPfl6Oyg&s=19

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

One would hope that best buy has come up with a better system after all this time, but my expectations are very low.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

One would hope that best buy has come up with a better system after all this time, but my expectations are very low.

"Total Tech only"

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Alan Smithee posted:

"Total Tech only"

This but they don't tell you until opening time after you've camped out overnight.

Doomtrain
Sep 12, 2006
A mood train?
https://twitter.com/NS_ALERTS/status/1496506209234472966

https://twitter.com/NS_ALERTS/status/1496513959318499337

https://twitter.com/NS_ALERTS/status/1496509633372033025
Guess its not an overnight event. Just check if your nearby store has any in stock on the app.

Doomtrain fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 23, 2022

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Sooooooooo I just bought a 3070 Ti FTW3 from EVGA through their bundle program.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

VoodooXT posted:

Sooooooooo I just bought a 3070 Ti FTW3 from EVGA through their bundle program.

Yeah, it's been in stock for like the last day instead of selling out. It's still an exorbitant price but not nearly as much as the scalped 3070Tis I've been seeing, and the CLC/power supply I got with it were things I needed for a new PC build I've been trying to do for a while (my current one is 7.5 years old.)

It's not a FE but I can stomach it.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
i loved mine, don't regret it for a second after bumping from a 1060. just did a step up to a 3080ti because i have an ultrawide and i want to play stuff with ray tracing. that's what i tell myself anyway, the real reason is i have brain damage.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Roseo posted:

Yeah, it's been in stock for like the last day instead of selling out. It's still an exorbitant price but not nearly as much as the scalped 3070Tis I've been seeing, and the CLC/power supply I got with it were things I needed for a new PC build I've been trying to do for a while (my current one is 7.5 years old.)

It's not a FE but I can stomach it.

I figure I’d just do the extended 7 year warranty and do the upgrade program when I needed to step up to a beefier GPU.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That's not how step up works, you have to do it pretty much right away. That said, it probably doesn't change your math much.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
if they put a 3080 12GB on step up that might be preferable to the 3070 Ti. The 3080 is significantly faster and depending on how bad you got raked getting MSRP on a 3080 might be more desirable. And the queues would be short because there’s no existing queue - 3080 10gb is still a deal but afaik the queue is pretty deep

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You'll get $830 credit for the 3070 Ti FTW3 I believe, and there's a $1250 option for the 3080 12GB (the XC) or $1300 for the OCed FTW3. So that's $420 - $470 plus shipping for the upgrade. I don't know if I'd say that's worth it, but it really depends on how much performance you're after. You'd be getting a card that's much more reliably smooth in 4K. Honestly, I'd just sit on that card for a couple years until that money can buy you something better than a 3080.

edit: got the prices slightly wrong, doesn't change my overall feelings though

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 24, 2022

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm with Dr. Video Games. I too bought a 3070ti FTW3 Ultra at $870 (more like almost $950 after taxes) and putting aside how so much of it was subsidized by selling my 1070 at the peak of the market, I don't think I'd spend $400 more for the 3080 12GB when I'm running 1440p 16:9. I would save the money to move to another generation that is not as wacky on thermal to performance as my card is. (I believe I now need to replace the stock cooler on my CPU because the GPU is making ambient temps so drat hot.)

A friend bought EVGA's hybrid cooled 3080 for $1200 from a scalper, but he has an ultrawide monitor so he's pushing almost a 4k monitor's load of pixels. If I was that highfaulin' about my displays, I could see that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

So if you want to see if a store near you is dropping check fixit discord

https://discord.gg/gpu

if you see a store with multiple FE models alerting that's probably a dropzone

it's currently maxed out on invites according to their page. You can also ask me or Buffalo All Day if there's one near you happening and if i'm awake

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Craptacular! posted:

A friend bought EVGA's hybrid cooled 3080 for $1200 from a scalper, but he has an ultrawide monitor so he's pushing almost a 4k monitor's load of pixels. If I was that highfaulin' about my displays, I could see that.

Not to be that goon and pedantic and poo poo, but 1440p ultrawide (3440x1440, ~5M pixels) is only about 60% as many pixels as 4K (3840x2160) (8.3M pixels) it’s pretty significant.

Not as significant as 1080p vs 4K (4K is exactly 4x as many pixels), but still pretty significant.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

tehinternet posted:

Not to be that goon and pedantic and poo poo, but 1440p ultrawide (3440x1440, ~5M pixels) is only about 60% as many pixels as 4K (3840x2160) (8.3M pixels) it’s pretty significant.

Not as significant as 1080p vs 4K (4K is exactly 4x as many pixels), but still pretty significant.

Maybe he has a 1600p ultrawide? That's 75% as many pixels. Or an Odyssey G9, which is 5120x1440 or 89% as many pixels.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Maybe he has a 1600p ultrawide? That's 75% as many pixels. Or an Odyssey G9, which is 5120x1440 or 89% as many pixels.

I didn’t include 1600p because I didn’t know of any that were high refresh — I didn’t include the G9 because I mean… 32:9 is kind of a whole other monster and pushes more than your standard 16:9 4K 60hz. Which you know, given you’re one of the most consistently Good Posters ITT. Point taken, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

So I've been running a Gigabyte 3080 Gaming OC for the last year and it's been fine, memory thermals get a bit hot though, I've peaked at 100c. I see some stuff online about replacing the thermal pads making a huge difference but inconsistent anecdotal stories about this voiding the warranty. Any thoughts on this?

Also, the EVGA queue I entered in like Oct 2020 (and forgot about) emailed me saying my turn had come up for the FTW3 Ultra 3080. I bought it because I figured I could hook a friend up with it without having to play the Discord alerts game. Long story short, my friends have either said gently caress it since the great GPU race began and bought an Xbox or don't want to throw down $991 (what I paid after shipping) on a graphics card.

So now I'm wondering what to do... Should I swap out my OC for the FTW3 and sell that, or just sell the FTW3 without opening it? I see online that EVGA has the better customer support and warranty but I don't really want to lose money by selling my older card when the actual PC performance is going to be identical anyway.

What would you do?