Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I’d expect Zhilei Zhang to finally take up the IBF mandatory. He’s almost 39 and needs to move now.

Demsey McKean is technically ahead of him in the rankings but McKean is still taking 8 rounders against club fighters so hard to see him fighting Hrgovic right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Triller really out here ruining lives :( .

https://twitter.com/TeofimoLopez/status/1488899164490641414?t=DHUDFBnAjl5KhMDIIRbbJg&s=19

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Otto Wallin is on the Eubanks undercard today, fighting a game Sokolowski (better than his record suggests).

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Dallas trip?

https://twitter.com/ErrolSpenceJr/status/1491079766169907201?t=NcubS2kTC4uy6WowLA7dZQ&s=19

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I’d expect Zhilei Zhang to finally take up the IBF mandatory. He’s almost 39 and needs to move now.

Zhang has reportedly taken the fight. Hilariously unqualified mandatory eliminator fight. Also the winner is going to be waiting quite a while so hopefully they don’t sit around mostly inactive for 2+ years waiting on the mandatory shot.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Mike Coppinger is reporting that Canelo is looking to sign a two fight deal with Matchroom that would have him fight Dmitry Bivol at 175 in May, and Gennady Golovkin at 168 in September.

If it happens, it would be another great year for Alvarez on paper, although I do cringe at the idea of him fighting a 40 year old, inactive, past his prime GGG, and forcing him up a weight class to boot. In my book, Alvarez is 0-2 against GGG, or 0-1-1 at best. It's going to suck to see Alvarez likely knock GGG out at 168, personally.

The Bivol fight is much more interesting and could potentially derail things though. Bivol is still a total enigma, but he's a slick, word class boxer in his prime, and seemingly a level above the Caleb Plants and Billy Joe Saunders of the world. Alvarez has shown throughout his career that he's someone who is not above dropping multiple rounds in a fight, or even ending up as the "winner" of a fight he easily could have taken an official loss on (GGG, Lara, etc.). I don't think anyone knows what Bivol is really capable of at this point, but if anyone could beat Alvarez at 168-175, I think Bivol is really only one of two fighters (the other being Artur Beterbiev) that is capable of doing it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Does GGG even want it? I don't really know how much his last fight (and lack of activity) speaks to his desire to stay relevant.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I imagine GGG retires after that. Win, lose or draw

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Charlo-Andrade is still on the menu :hellyeah:

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
That’s the end of Danny Jacobs.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Zhang has reportedly taken the fight. Hilariously unqualified mandatory eliminator fight. Also the winner is going to be waiting quite a while so hopefully they don’t sit around mostly inactive for 2+ years waiting on the mandatory shot.

Joyce, Dubois, Hrgovic, etc. are definitely going to twist in the wind while Fury/Joshua/Usyk plays out.

Wilder taking fights would keep the heavyweight division more interesting.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Anyone have any spicy Khan-Brook predictions other than the stone cold lock of "absolute hilarity"

"HEATED!! Press Conference". - https://youtu.be/-A9Bwill90o

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Hard to say who has more left, but I’m leaning Brook at this point. Khan is just so brittle these days and Brook is the naturally bigger, stronger guy, which might be enough.

I could also see Khan knock Brook out in 2 or 3 rounds though. Definitely a fight to catch live.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think I'm taking Khan here, which is funny because if this fight had happened five years ago I'd almost certainly take Brook. I don't have a great reason to pick Khan beyond a gut feeling he has more left in the tank for this one.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'd like khan to lose mostly because he spent years poo poo talking Kell in the British press while ducking what would have been a huge fight even with no titles on the line.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
My main takeway from Khan-Brook is that big fights do not have an expiration date.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I think khan will taken it early.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

chinny bastard

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

brook walking away with this and likely to knock khan out late.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Khan is just made of glass. He's getting wobbled with shots that are hitting his gloves.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

That was loving embarrassing.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Not much of a surprise. Khan just has no punch resistance left, and never really had much to begin with. Legs looked bad after getting hurt in the first round. Time to retire!

Kell Brook buys himself another pay day, if he wants it, but he gets rinsed by any top welterweight/junior middle.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Keith Thurman vs Kell Brook who says no.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Keith Thurman vs Kell Brook who says no.

I just frowned thinking about it. So, I guess I say no?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Khan just has no punch resistance left, and never really had much to begin with.

It's a fight sport so it's fair game in the ring, but Khan obviously can't compete the same way with getting wobbly just being breathed on.
I wonder if starting out with a weaker chin and taking the same amount of damage over a career leaves you worse off by the end of it. There's fighters with great chins who still got obvious CTE, and others who have been ok. But it sure seems super risky to be fighting (and sparring in camp) when every solid contact is taking you off balance.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

How often does this kind of poo poo happen?

https://twitter.com/FiteTV/status/1495505833051963395

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is there a point in the double leg where it's a legal clinch and not a foul? Assuming there's no planting of the knee.
Like if they just ducked and cinched but didn't lift the opponent up.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Brut posted:

How often does this kind of poo poo happen?

https://twitter.com/FiteTV/status/1495505833051963395

Lmao. He got ‘em good. Did they take a point away? I think you should be allowed to do one of those a match.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mr. F! posted:

I think you should be allowed to do one of those a match.

I'm guessing that was the idea -- do a move that's not a foul but takes your opponent's mind off their game. Though certainly the slam is way too far to not be a foul.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I can't for the life of my friend the footage but I'd swear that early MMA fighter who got heel hooked in UFC 1 by Ken Shamrock was losing a boxing match to a 1990's champ a few years later, lost his temper and resorted to kickboxing. I won't spoil the ending in case someone finds it.

Edit: my lead melted brain has at least one fighter wrong, apparently.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 21, 2022

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

https://www.boxingscene.com/chisora-calls-out-wilder-i-wanna-taste-power-lets-war-vegas-wembley--164265

quote:

“I’m a big fan of the Bronze Bomber, but before you hang them up, man, let me taste that power, baby,” Chisora told SecondsOut.com. “I wanna come to America and have a war with you, brother.”

He also wants a big payday.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Mr. F! posted:

Lmao. He got ‘em good. Did they take a point away? I think you should be allowed to do one of those a match.

I have no idea, I just saw the tweet, if someone has a link to the full video or at least the next few seconds where the ref presumably falls over laughing, I'd love to see it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

kimbo305 posted:

It's a fight sport so it's fair game in the ring, but Khan obviously can't compete the same way with getting wobbly just being breathed on.
I wonder if starting out with a weaker chin and taking the same amount of damage over a career leaves you worse off by the end of it. There's fighters with great chins who still got obvious CTE, and others who have been ok. But it sure seems super risky to be fighting (and sparring in camp) when every solid contact is taking you off balance.

i dunno that weak chin vs strong chin matters much in cte; even if you were more susceptible to brain damage, you’d be going down faster and submitting yourself to less abuse, in theory.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Declan MacManus posted:

i dunno that weak chin vs strong chin matters much in cte; even if you were more susceptible to brain damage, you’d be going down faster and submitting yourself to less abuse, in theory.

Isn't cte worst in people who get lots of head trauma that doesn't quite concuss them but almost does.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Fury and Whyte have both signed up for the April 23rd fight.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Now if we can get Usyk-Joshua 2 signed we may be able to get a total heavyweight championship unification fight by the end of the year (lol).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Was trying to read up on various Ukrainian athletes' statements on the invasion, and apparently Usyk and Loma belong to the part of the Orthodox Church that follows Moscow, which along with other things has made fans feel like they're not out and out patriots:
http://thecomeback.com/queensberryrules/2020-articles/im-ukrainian-and-i-cannot-cheer-for-oleksandr-usyk-or-vasyl-lomachenko.html

Also reminder than Vitali is the mayor of Kyiv.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

https://twitter.com/RealRickGlaser1/status/1496850068384616452?t=2t-t8bZ141j258AATQoCYA&s=19

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm afraid we might not have Triller to put on freakshow fights that much longer.

quote:

Triller announced it has purchased the Bare Knuckle Fighting Championships for an undisclosed amount of money. Bare Knuckle has overpaid for talent and after some early interest from the novelty of doing it in 2018 and 2019 and for Paige VanZant at first, its business has not been good.

Triller in 2021 took in $81,857,000 in revenue and ended with losses of $810,915,000. They lost almost as much as Peacock. They did make a $13.2 million profit from the Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr. fight in 2020, but half the profit went to another Ryan Kavanagh company called Proxima.

David Feldman, who runs the Bare Knuckle promotion, said with the new backing they will make a play for Francis Ngannou.
Ngannou won’t be available until 2023 and he’s looking at a huge boxing offer so it’s unlikely he’d end up there

Just the EIGHT HUNDRED AND TEN MILLION DOLLAR loss for the year then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

MrBling posted:

Just the EIGHT HUNDRED AND TEN MILLION DOLLAR loss for the year then.

there is so much money sloshing around the top of the market