Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Given the luck you've had with cars we mutually own, just don't buy an M4 :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

A nice well maintained semi low(er) miles n52 6sp E91 will run you probably close to the F31s anyway. I fully support the decision, get the msport for the flex and then manual swap it :getin:

Also to the m2 guy, look at selling on bring a trailer or cars and bids or some poo poo, then you get the benefits of private party without having to deal with test drives and poo poo usually, unless someone mad lives close

E: in manual e91 n52 land, my car is still in the shop straightening out whatever the gently caress is hosed with suspension lmao, also apparently radiator was leaking so fun fun. Hopefully isnt a blown coil since uhhh that’s gonna be like 8 weeks for a new one from KW
:negative:

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 17, 2022

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
The Alfa Romeo Giulia is the best 3-series, op. Comes in 4 cyl and ZF 8 speed.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Kivi posted:

The Alfa Romeo Giulia is the best 3-series, op. Comes in 4 cyl and ZF 8 speed.

A winning combination of German performance and Italian reliabilty.

I won't say BMW is the most reliable brand but in 2020 Consumer reports claimed that you only had a 13% chance of NOT needing a repair over 3 years with a Giulia.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

TheBacon posted:

Also to the m2 guy, look at selling on bring a trailer or cars and bids or some poo poo, then you get the benefits of private party without having to deal with test drives and poo poo usually, unless someone mad lives close

Hmm never thought about those. Always assumed those sites were for rarer cars. I'll take a look thanks

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

kronix posted:

I won't say BMW is the most reliable brand but in 2020 Consumer reports claimed that you only had a 13% chance of NOT needing a repair over 3 years with a Giulia.
The Giulia Quadrifoglio is SOOOO good looking and this is the only reason I don't own one. I think someone in this thread has one though, if you see this give us an ownership update!

e: it's Pr0kjayhawk

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Sab669 posted:

Hey thread; always been a big BMW fan but historically never able to afford 'em so I don't know ~that much~

Some of you have seen my post about my Focus RS clutch detonating in other threads already. I'm heavily leaning towards selling it in the near future once its repaired. CarMax online appraisal made a pretty drat good offer. The F31 is very high on my short list of cars I'm interested in.
If I understand correctly, both the 320 / 328 have the infamous N20 but the 330 has the B48 which seems pretty well regarded?

What in particular should I be looking out for? Is the M-Sport package "mandatory" or does it not really make that much of a difference?

I found 3 different 2018's for sale that have my attention. One has the M Sport pack, Exec & Premium packages and is on the high end of my budget.The other is a good $7K cheaper but it's unclear to me which packages it does/doesn't have. The last is kinda in the middle of price / mileage, also unclear what packages it does/doesn't have.

The one with the m sport pack also has the red interior, which I am extremely horny for :negative:

Ok so the date of introduction varies depending on your country but generally the B engines appeared with the LCI cars. The pre-LCI 320i and 328i have the N20, and the LCI 320i and 330i (the 328i designation was retired) both have the B48.

All the B engines have an excellent record when it comes to reliability and do not have any known common faults. The B38 and B48 were first used in MINIs starting from early 2014 so I think it’s fair to say if there were any common issues we would know by now. My 320i is over 4 years old now and coming up on 48,000 miles and it’s been smooth sailing the whole way.

M Sport is the arguably the best trim to go for. It looks the best aesthetically and you’ll get the M Sport suspension and brakes.

Plus M Sport brakes seem to last a really, really long time. My front pads still have an estimated 25,000 miles to go and the rears have 50,000.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

fyallm posted:

Hmm never thought about those. Always assumed those sites were for rarer cars. I'll take a look thanks

Just see what the last few auctions have sold for for your car and you’ll know if it’s worth it, but they definitely do get a decent volume of M2s rolling through.

Also the Guilia 4 banger is supposed to be semi reliable, most of the blowing up is the V6, still if they sold the V6 with a manual here I would have heavily considered one. I *think* swapping a manual is possible because I thought I read somewhere they offered a manual in euro land for the first year or two. I honestly still sort of want the 4 Ti trim for a complimentary/backup daily if they weren’t still more than I’d like. It’s the absolute stunning lines that draw me, one of the absolute most gorgeous cars on the road, I think probably the most beautiful with 4 doors that I can think of.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

what you actually want is an e91 with an n52 and a 6-speed

:hfive:

in related news, I found a manifold with intact healthy DISA valves, $28.

:getin:

Kinda digging the super sidewalls of the f10 wheels and tires. (it's riding low in the back from the junkyard haul).

Not my pic, but I also managed to get this full set of trim, but I'm on the fence. I can't think of why they wouldn't be, but are e90 door cards the same as e91 cards?

glyph fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 17, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Ok so the date of introduction varies depending on your country but generally the B engines appeared with the LCI cars. The pre-LCI 320i and 328i have the N20, and the LCI 320i and 330i (the 328i designation was retired) both have the B48.

All the B engines have an excellent record when it comes to reliability and do not have any known common faults. The B38 and B48 were first used in MINIs starting from early 2014 so I think it’s fair to say if there were any common issues we would know by now. My 320i is over 4 years old now and coming up on 48,000 miles and it’s been smooth sailing the whole way.

M Sport is the arguably the best trim to go for. It looks the best aesthetically and you’ll get the M Sport suspension and brakes.

Plus M Sport brakes seem to last a really, really long time. My front pads still have an estimated 25,000 miles to go and the rears have 50,000.

Thanks for the info!

I'm actually really warming up to the idea of the cheaper E91 now that I've been thinking about it though. Found a nice, clean low mileage one but it'll probably be gone by the time I could buy it if I were to pull the trigger. Annoying I need to wait to get the clutch repaired / replaced first.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

That right there is beautiful

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Man, the 3IM tuned N52 was so good. I really miss my first one as it was the ideal combo, even had manual seats for weight savings!

I did find out why I got pulled over in that car all the time, one of the other two japanrot E90s in Vermont was owned by a rich heiress who was running drugs for her boyfriend between Boston and Montreal. No wonder the cops were surprised to see some boring nerd instead of a drugged blonde woman.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

glyph posted:

:hfive:

in related news, I found a manifold with intact healthy DISA valves, $28.

:getin:

Kinda digging the super sidewalls of the f10 wheels and tires. (it's riding low in the back from the junkyard haul).

Not my pic, but I also managed to get this full set of trim, but I'm on the fence. I can't think of why they wouldn't be, but are e90 door cards the same as e91 cards?

Hell yeah that owns!

Door cards for E90/E91 are the same from the beltline down, but the windows are different so any trim in that area has to be E91 specific (for the back doors at least). I found this out the hard way from a junkyard heh. Also there was a bunch of variation in door cards depending on sound system and specific leather package FYI

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

TheBacon posted:

Hell yeah that owns!

Door cards for E90/E91 are the same from the beltline down, but the windows are different so any trim in that area has to be E91 specific (for the back doors at least). I found this out the hard way from a junkyard heh. Also there was a bunch of variation in door cards depending on sound system and specific leather package FYI

All good. I just grabbed the brushed aluminum trim, so my door cards will stay; the trim pieces are a little beat up, so maybe a pass with some scotch brite at work or something will refresh them. Though, somehow I doubt they're not anodized which will change things a bit. Maybe I should anodize them 90s MTB purple.

Alarbus posted:

Man, the 3IM tuned N52 was so good. I really miss my first one as it was the ideal combo, even had manual seats for weight savings!

'Sup manual sport seats buddy. :c00lbert:

glyph fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 17, 2022

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

fyallm posted:

Not sure how much of a rush you're in to sell it, last I heard BaT has a 8 week backlog. CarsandBids is probably less of a wait but seems to get less action.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

NitroSpazzz posted:

Not sure how much of a rush you're in to sell it, last I heard BaT has a 8 week backlog. CarsandBids is probably less of a wait but seems to get less action.

Wow that's insane....

I talked with EAG and going ti tske it for a quote for them soon

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

fyallm posted:

Wow that's insane....

I talked with EAG and going ti tske it for a quote for them soon

I wonder how much those E46s they have are selling for.

https://enthusiastauto.com/bmw/m3series/e46-m3/2006-bmw-m3-manual-coupe-2062.html

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

The Giulia Quadrifoglio is SOOOO good looking and this is the only reason I don't own one. I think someone in this thread has one though, if you see this give us an ownership update!

e: it's Pr0kjayhawk

I just desperately search threads now hoping someone mentions my name. :v:

So mine has been great but I've been working from home for 2 of the 3 months I've owned it. It loving rips on the way to daycare though.

I love everything about it. Even the transmission... I do miss having a manual but that ZF 8sp is so good. And the gearing is awesome. You're in 4th gear by 80mph if you're winding it out. In a world where Porsches will do 117mph in 3rd, that is awesome. And the metallic red paint is just beautiful in sunlight.

Also, and I can't stress this enough, you can buy an extended bumper to bumper warranty through any mopar dealer mega cheap. I think I mentioned this a while back that I can extend my full warranty out to 2026 for $2700. I went in to the dealer a few weeks ago to take care of some random things that were bugging me and the service tech was actually adding things to the list so he could get his tech more work. They fixed an annoying rattle in the upper dash (center speaker not screwed down), replaced the main display because it was delaminating, and updated all the software. Over $2K worth of work, zero cost to me. Sure, I'll have to replace the belt at 40k miles but I guess it's not that big of a deal to me when you consider the insane power it makes.

Also I got an exhaust valve controller that plugs into the OBD port so it can be loud in any mode. :)

TheBacon posted:

Just see what the last few auctions have sold for for your car and you’ll know if it’s worth it, but they definitely do get a decent volume of M2s rolling through.

Also the Guilia 4 banger is supposed to be semi reliable, most of the blowing up is the V6, still if they sold the V6 with a manual here I would have heavily considered one. I *think* swapping a manual is possible because I thought I read somewhere they offered a manual in euro land for the first year or two. I honestly still sort of want the 4 Ti trim for a complimentary/backup daily if they weren’t still more than I’d like. It’s the absolute stunning lines that draw me, one of the absolute most gorgeous cars on the road, I think probably the most beautiful with 4 doors that I can think of.

The reviews I read about the QV manual was that it wasn't that good. I really like the auto and this is from a lifelong manual enthusiast. If anyone is considering one I'd highly recommend going for a test drive. I was unexpectedly won over.

I know I'm a bit odd in this regard but I like this auto more than I like DCT or PDK. Those dual clutches are too... precise. It just immediately goes to the RPM on upshift and it's somehow boring and uninteresting. I know it's better but I like the ZF 8sp and the QV's programming. It's temperamental when it's cold and brutal at redline in race mode.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Thanks for the update! Didn't know about the warranty option, that seems interesting.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

LoL, trust me, I already laughed when Evan told me he's willing to give me below vroom price... Eric was EAG and its sad..

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Some old dude in Volvo complimented on the looks of my new BMW, wanted to know how big the engine is. I have the base 2.0 Giulia :v:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

fyallm posted:

LoL, trust me, I already laughed when Evan told me he's willing to give me below vroom price... Eric was EAG and its sad..

Well if he’s buying below vroom he must be selling for a good price right? :v:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I’m traveling to my old hometown this weekend that happens to have an 1/8 mile drag strip and is full of rednecks. Tempting.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Farking Bastage posted:

I’m traveling to my old hometown this weekend that happens to have an 1/8 mile drag strip and is full of rednecks. Tempting.

If you're serious about that, drop the $300 on an MHD flash and an XHP trans tune.

You know, for science.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

fyallm posted:

Wonder what laughable price EAG would offer me. I've never been a fan of EAG but Eric was a good guy

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Gotta have the BMW nut button

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CZ7GR-GD7MW/?utm_medium=copy_link

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Honestly that's amazing and solves a real issue.

BMW's parking assistant is so good that it's truly disappointing when it's screwed up by road gunk. I could get out and clean it myself but that seems very un BMW like.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Terrible M promotional videos for everyone’s enjoyment

https://youtu.be/Jt_JL29K6Us

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I let a local fellow who does a lot of high end rides do a full paint correction/coating on the supra and :drat:

I run 4k so if I need to timg those, please let me know.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

kronix posted:

Terrible M promotional videos for everyone’s enjoyment

At least the pig snout makes more sense now. I think MMMMMM could take it a step further with a subscription only reflective M hologram across the entire windshield.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Farking Bastage posted:

I let a local fellow who does a lot of high end rides do a full paint correction/coating on the supra and :drat:

I run 4k so if I need to timg those, please let me know.

drat that looks freaking good.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I'm in desperate need for a paint refresh

Last time I had my car serviced I forgot to request no car wash, and now it's got swirl marks everywhere there isn't paint protection film

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

People on the internet really hate this car lol. Everyone who has seen it in person or rode in it thinks otherwise. Not that I hold the opinion of a 20 year old with a fart can civic in particularly high regard or anything, but drat. It's faster than my WRX by a large amount and handles as well if not better than the 124 Spider I just sold. oh well :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Farking Bastage posted:

People on the internet

gently caress em

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Farking Bastage posted:

People on the internet really hate this car lol. Everyone who has seen it in person or rode in it thinks otherwise. Not that I hold the opinion of a 20 year old with a fart can civic in particularly high regard or anything, but drat. It's faster than my WRX by a large amount and handles as well if not better than the 124 Spider I just sold. oh well :)
It looks loving good. I had the opportunity to spend some time around one this past weekend, and it is a lot more impressive in person than on a computer screen. That black looks great after a detail!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

BlackMK4 posted:

gently caress em

This. It looks real good OP!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Looks great my man. I need to find a new detailer, my guy who I loved moved back to Chicago. LA, if anyone has a rec.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

The owners seem to love them and they look absolutely great on the road. They're a staple in the B58 groups on Facebook and a lot of the folks who mod BMWs are "upgrading" from M240s to Supras because the chassis is better and it's a more powerful engine from the start. They're starting to be a staple on drag strips too. There's likely going to be a manual version and potentially even one with an S code engine. Toyota seems to be trickling out changes to keep interest up over the models lifetime so anything is possible.

So yeah, people who don't buy them have dumb and irrelevant opinions and don't really matter to Toyota or BMW. In 20 years we'll be hearing about how under appreciated these cars are and they'll be unobtanium on the used market.

But what do I know, I say the same thing about the M3/M4.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I love this thing and I think my detail guy is LEGIT. That paint was full of swirls and holograms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
drat that's nice.