Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
That speech is not unhinged. if the kremlin translation is to be trusted, it's a pretty tame declaration of war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bedshaped posted:

That speech is not unhinged. if the kremlin translation is to be trusted, it's a pretty tame declaration of war.

I think people are using 'unhinged' here in the way it was rambling and rather incoherent. It was a Trump quality speech.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

I think people are using 'unhinged' here in the way it was rambling and rather incoherent. It was a Trump quality speech.

My understanding is that transcripts often clean up Trump speeches, especially in translation, so he comes off as less of a lunatic to people who read them too, so that checks out to me. Plus obviously going into a hundred year old series of recriminations against Ukraine existing at all really doesn't sound like someone who's only interested in the political rights of tiny slivers of breakaway territory.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Count Roland posted:

Are there reliable print transcripts of the speech around yet? I found I didn't much want to watch Putin as he spoke.

The official one linked above seems to be reliable, but it doesn’t appear to be finished yet.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The official one linked above seems to be reliable, but it doesn’t appear to be finished yet.

Yes the ones I saw last night all had "to be continued" for some reason. I guess I'll have to subscribe to the next season to get the full details? What a rip off.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/UkrWarReport/status/1496115178018152450

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

"We're a pariah state now. You better believe it when we say we aint sayin poo poo"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

All hail the First Galactic Donbass

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

THIS PAGE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Sinteres posted:

My understanding is that transcripts often clean up Trump speeches, especially in translation, so he comes off as less of a lunatic to people who read them too, so that checks out to me.

Lmao, reading transcripts made Trump sound even more like a sociopathic rear end in a top hat. Same with Vlad.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://twitter.com/islingtonchap/status/1496051046938034176?s=21

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Does anybody have that list of charities in Ukraine that was posted earlier in the thread? I forgot to save it and I have friends and family asking what they can do to help.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Landlords getting hosed over seems like win, win, win.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Oh no, those poor landlords

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

What a tragedy that would be

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

thats_bait.gif

also, boris pls

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah that's someone doing a bit.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Navalny had a response on social media, sorry about Instagram, but that's where I saw it

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaR4GuwtOqE/?utm_medium=copy_link

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

"WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE LANDLORDS?!"

No

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I think that one was yesterday.

peej
Apr 10, 2009

Count Roland posted:

Yes the ones I saw last night all had "to be continued" for some reason. I guess I'll have to subscribe to the next season to get the full details? What a rip off.

Yeah it was a late night.

Here's the original Russian which looks complete.

http://kremlin.ru/events/president/transcripts/67828

And the section about hunting down people. That was a pretty misleading tweet. Damned if you have editors and they write your headlines, damned if you don't and you write your tweets yourself.

Putin posted:

Невозможно без содрогания вспоминать о страшной трагедии в Одессе, где участники мирной акции протеста были зверски убиты, заживо сожжены в Доме профсоюзов. Преступники, которые совершили это злодеяние, не наказаны, их никто и не ищет. Но мы знаем их поимённо и сделаем всё для того, чтобы их покарать, найти и предать суду.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Nitrox posted:

Navalny had a response on social media, sorry about Instagram, but that's where I saw it

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaR4GuwtOqE/?utm_medium=copy_link

Here's the twitter version: https://twitter.com/navalny/status/1496098720076767236

Alexey Navalny posted:

Yesterday I watched the “session of the Security Council”, this gathering of dotards and thieves (it seems to me that our Anti-Corruption Foundation has done investigations into the corruption of every single one of them).

And I thought about the same gathering of nomenklatura dotards from the Politburo of the Central Committee of the CPSU, who, quite similarly, on their own whim , imagining themselves as geopoliticians at the “grand chessboard”, decided to send Soviet troops into Afghanistan.

The result was hundreds of thousands of victims, injuries to entire nations, the consequences of which both we and Afghanistan still cannot overcome, and the emergence of one of the key reasons for the collapse of the USSR.

Those morons from the Politburo covered themselves with a two-faced ideology. These Putin's dotards do not even have an ideology - only constant and undisguised lies. They don't even bother to give their casus belli the slightest credibility.

Both of them need one thing: to divert the attention of the people of Russia from real problems - the development of the economy, rising prices, reigning lawlessness - and switching it to the format of "imperial hysteria."

How long has it been since you last watched the news on federal channels? It's the only thing I watch now, and I can assure you, there is NO news about Russia there AT ALL. Literally. From the first to the last piece, it's Ukraine - USA - Europe.

Bare propaganda is no longer enough for the senile thieves. They want blood. They want to move around tank figurines on a map of hostilities.

And so, the head of the 21st century Politburo makes a truly insane speech. Twitter gave the most accurate metaphor for it: “It's just like my grandfather getting drunk at a family celebration and annoying everyone with his stories about how world politics actually works.”

It would be funny if the drunk grandfather was not a man of 69 who holds power in a country with nuclear weapons.

Replace "Ukraine" in his speech with "Kazakhstan", "Belarus", "Baltic countries", "Azerbaijan", "Uzbekistan" and so on, even including "Finland". And think about where the train of geopolitical thought of this senile grandfather may take him next.

All this ended very badly for everyone in 1979. And it will end just as badly now. Afghanistan was destroyed, but the USSR also received a mortal wound.

Thanks to Putin, hundreds of Ukrainians and Russian citizens may die now, and in the future, this number may reach tens of thousands. Yes, he will not allow Ukraine to develop, he will drag it into the swamp, but Russia will pay the same price.

We have everything for powerful development in the 21st century, from oil to educated citizens, but we will lose money again and squander the historical chance for a normal rich life for the sake of war, dirt, lies and the palace with golden eagles in Gelendzhik.

Putin and his senile thieves from the Security Council and United Russia are the enemies of Russia and its main threat, not Ukraine and not the West. Putin kills and wants to kill more.

The Kremlin is making you poorer, not Washington. It is not in London that economic policy is being conducted in such a way that a pensioner's "borscht set" has doubled in price, but in Moscow.

To fight for Russia, to save it, means to fight for the removal of Putin and his kleptocrats from power. But now it also means the banal “to fight for peace”.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

How does that even work unless all of London housing is owned by Russian oligarchs?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bedshaped posted:

I would say it is unhinged in what it’s says (the entire history revisionism part) not why it says that. It’s also worth noting that translations - and text transcripts especially - do not convey exact meaning of words, or the body language, or various mannerisms like dramatic pauses or exhales. Similarly, if it’s a foreign language, you just see it as a something removed - many foreign speakers will swear rather liberally in English, gently caress this gently caress that, but not in their native languages.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Solaris 2.0 posted:

How does that even work unless all of London housing is owned by Russian oligarchs?

1) It's a joke. The punchline is even "declare war" so it's not exactly subtle.
2) House prices can go down if even a small subset of owners are forced to sell.
3) It's a joke.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

That's clearly shot in the summer time

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Somebody's feeling a bit trollish this morning:

https://twitter.com/USEmbassyKyiv/status/1496115593149358081?s=20&t=GCZfCKx6XcS9dOaYaQ70hQ

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Its worth mentioning but about 65% of a houses price is land speculation. Commercial buildings and highrises usually have more towards intrinsic value but that's because they are massive and made of sterner stuff. It's worth remembering a 300k house is usually a 60k house on a 240k lot. And cities can inflate that lot value even more. So a sudden glut can really drop the price.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

CommieGIR posted:

No. Trump speeches are famous for being incoherent.

Putin's speech followed a basic structure of cycling through three topics:

- Current problems and Russian grievances prompted by NATO actions.
- Ukrainian incompetence or corruption they need to be saved from.
- Historical claims to the Ukraine*, going back further each time.

It's being called unhinged for the content, since not only was it very atypically aggressive rhetoric and coming directly from a head of state with a ready army in war footing, but also involved a whole lesson in historical interpretation touching on topics that you aren't supposed to in our modern rules-based international order.

*Contextual emphasis, not endorsement.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Just gonna say that I don't think US embassies should be posting poo poo like that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Begun, the Meme wars have.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Sinteres posted:

Just gonna say that I don't think US embassies should be posting poo poo like that.

Embassies meme at each other all the time. It's been the standard for over a decade.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

CommieGIR posted:

Begun, the Meme wars have.

Star Trek's A Taste of Armageddon is the future we deserve.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Embassies meme at each other all the time. It's been the standard for over a decade.

Just speaking as an American I think it's hugely embarrassing for my country to be putting out troll memes that insult an entire nation (as opposed to just its political leadership) in the middle of a serious crisis, and I don't care if other countries do it too.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Kamrat posted:

Ukrainians will have an easier time integrating into society because of their whiteness, Ukrainians will maybe get away with some nasty remarks every now and then until it's forgotten and they're integrated properly. This is something that middle easterners can never properly do because no matter what they do they're perceived as others because of the colour of their skin.

I know people that have lived here they're entire lives that still feel othered and discriminated against just because their parents are middle easterners. I've also known people with eastern european parents that suffer no discrimination whatsoever.

This is the difference between Visible Minority and not.
Not the difference between "experiences discrimination" and "experiences no problems at all".
Western Europe has a long and storied career of being prejudice against EE people (and SE people! Who by NE standards often do count as visible), and betting against that is a good way to lose money.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Sinteres posted:

I generally don't mind, but it feels awkward when they are less US Embassy Kyiv and more US Embassy Part-time Lviv part-time some I am sure totally lovely town in Poland the name of which escapes me.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

if enough people show up at once they will be seen as a threat because they'll embody change and change always makes people feel threatened and prejudice against them will develop even if none existed before

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
I thought the new thread title said big sacrifice for not a lot of grain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Sinteres posted:

Just speaking as an American I think it's hugely embarrassing for my country to be putting out troll memes that insult an entire nation (as opposed to just its political leadership) in the middle of a serious crisis, and I don't care if other countries do it too.

What was insulting about it? It seems pretty factual to me. It's just showing that Kiev was a prosperous civilization before Moscow was even a thing. It's a visual counter argument to Putin's assertions in his speech.