Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Sinteres posted:

Just speaking as an American I think it's hugely embarrassing for my country to be putting out troll memes that insult an entire nation (as opposed to just its political leadership) in the middle of a serious crisis, and I don't care if other countries do it too.

I think the concept there is poking at Putin's speech, given how much the speech acted like Ukraine was some recent invention that was artificially spun out of Russia.
Europeans should be used to that kind of thing anyway, that's basically every single Greek meme ever aimed at Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Just speaking as an American I think it's hugely embarrassing for my country to be putting out troll memes that insult an entire nation (as opposed to just its political leadership) in the middle of a serious crisis, and I don't care if other countries do it too.

I'm inclined to agree, it comes of as immature at best.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

What was insulting about it? It seems pretty factual to me. It's just showing that Kiev was a prosperous civilization before Moscow was even a thing. It's a visual counter argument to Putin's assertions in his speech.

I feel like the implication when stuff like that gets posted is generally 'lol you people were savages,' and that comes across even if it's not the specific intent here. But maybe I'm reading too much into it. Either way, it misses the point that Russia considers Kievan Rus to be part of its history, which is part of the problem.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

What was insulting about it? It seems pretty factual to me. It's just showing that Kiev was a prosperous civilization before Moscow was even a thing. It's a visual counter argument to Putin's assertions in his speech.

Kiev was the capital of Rus. And I had to hear about it from my very russian ex soviet party member father on the phone last night. He used to like putin back in the day bit he was saying how unhinged what putin said was. I bet a lot of proud russians like him were like what the gently caress did putin just say?! Honestly I think the Russian people are just as terrified as Ukrainians

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Meme game is good, particlarly if the aim of the meme is to show support for the host country.

This meme is awkward because the US is not particularly well placed to step into the middle of a 'thousand years of history and culture' conversation between European states.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Preoptopus posted:

Kiev was the capital of Rus. And I had to hear about it from my very russian ex soviet party member father on the phone last night. He used to like putin back in the day bit he was saying how unhinged what putin said was. I bet a lot of proud russians like him were like what the gently caress did putin just say?! Honestly I think the Russian people are just as terrified as Ukrainians

the idea that putin was just yanking nato/western europe/ukraine's chain and wasn't going to do poo poo really seemed pretty pervasive among, like, a lot of russians of all ends of the political spectrum. It was surreal seeing people from all sides politically yesterday just recoiling simultaneously. You never really see that.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

GABA ghoul posted:

I can't emphasis enough how much people here are freaked out by that unhinged Putin rant. Everyone expected the Donbas recognition but not this. If he had just skipped the meltdown video, that might have saved NS2
They've got maybe 10 months tops to build a whole shitload of LNG import infrastructure (plus the matched export capacity in Qatar / America) but better late than never.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

US embassy could always get creatively inspired by some local memes.

https://twitter.com/rupolitics_nc/status/1496055364915273731

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

Meme game is good, particlarly if the aim of the meme is to show support for the host country.

This meme is awkward because the US is not particularly well placed to step into the middle of a 'thousand years of history and culture' conversation between European states.

Just replace all the "Moscow" subtitles with "Washington DC" and its easily countered.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Just replace all the "Moscow" subtitles with "Washington DC" and its easily countered.

Thats really not the point of the meme. It would just prove that Kiev is older than DC which literally everyone would agree with. The point is to counter Putin’s claim that Ukraine didn’t exist before 1920.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Sinteres posted:

Either way, it misses the point that Russia considers Kievan Rus to be part of its history, which is part of the problem.

It is part of its history, similar to how England is part of American history: it doesn't make Englishmen Americans nor give the US right to rule England, but is one of many things that influenced the culture. Except, well, the comparison breaks down since US Presidents never took the title of "President of all the Anglos" and never renamed the country for that.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Pictured: the original sick Ukrainian memes

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Zephro posted:

They've got maybe 10 months tops to build a whole shitload of LNG import infrastructure (plus the matched export capacity in Qatar / America) but better late than never.

I have seen estimates that those take 2 years to build or so - probably an optimistic estimate normally, but who knows what resources will actually be mobilised now.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/Billbrowder/status/1496104705247825921?t=VExEMd7XhaZBZq7MQThWew&s=19

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Saladman posted:

Thats really not the point of the meme. It would just prove that Kiev is older than DC which literally everyone would agree with. The point is to counter Putin’s claim that Ukraine didn’t exist before 1920.

It's Kievan Rus, not Kievan Ukraine, QED :agesilaus:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Responding to ethno-nationalism with insults based on ethno-nationalism doesn't exactly defuse it. The US position is ostensibly based on universal principles of sovereignty and liberty and everything, and going down in the mud to post troll memes about how Russia's ancestors were primitives isn't helpful, regardless of who it's in support of. It's not that I think the US is genuinely better than this, it's just not appropriate and I don't want to see it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
A rational actor like Putin won't pay any heed to a bit of petty ribbing, surely.

I like how Russia can be literally flooding soldiers into a neighbouring country, and the refrain is " it's just symbolic posturing, grow up" but when American Embassy posts a stupid meme, then it's the time to become gravely concerned about decorum.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 22, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/medvedevrussiae/status/1496112456858574849

No need to be salty now, Mr. Medvedev.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Sanctions are pointless while the UK allows endless washtrading in London properties for Russian banks and oligarchs

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Going after Russian assets will ruin Brian's economy!

We should instead begin thermonuclear war to save the landlords

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

A rational actor like Putin won't pay any heed to a bit of petty ribbing, surely.

So it's okay to insult an entire country's culture or history if you don't like their leader who you don't even think represents the people, got it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Vaguely racist memes will help calm tensions.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sinteres posted:

So it's okay to insult an entire country's culture or history if you don't like their leader who you don't even think represents the people, got it.

I don't think now it's time for the naiveté of idealism.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

I thought your entire position was based on idealism. If not for idealism, why should countries outside of the immediate neighborhood care about Ukraine? Throwing away your principles in favor of a stupid troll meme is a weird stand.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

steinrokkan posted:

It's a bad meme

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

E: Oops nvm someone already posted it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Dammerung posted:

Does anybody have that list of charities in Ukraine that was posted earlier in the thread? I forgot to save it and I have friends and family asking what they can do to help.

https://twitter.com/JaneLytv/status/1495926609194500104

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Quorum posted:

They're so gosh-darn happy

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Looks like a gimmick account with a stock photo in profile.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Going after Russian assets will ruin Brian's economy!

We should instead begin thermonuclear war to save the landlords
Who gave Brian the nuclear weapons?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The meme is bad because it accepts Putin's stupid framework of policy through surface historical analysis.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1496148131041402894

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Paladinus posted:

The meme is bad because it accepts Putin's stupid framework of policy through surface historical analysis.

Or... it underlines its banality.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Quorum posted:

This made me go and re-read the original letter they supposedly wrote to the Turkish sultan - pretty good troll:

Ivan Sirko posted:

Zaporozhian Cossacks to the Turkish Sultan!

O sultan, Turkish devil and damned devil's kith and kin, secretary to Lucifer himself. What the devil kind of knight are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse? The devil shits, and your army eats. Thou shalt not, thou son of a whore, make subjects of Christian sons. We have no fear of your army; by land and by sea we will battle with thee. gently caress thy mother.

Thou Babylonian scullion, Macedonian wheelwright, brewer of Jerusalem, goat-fucker of Alexandria, swineherd of Greater and Lesser Egypt, pig of Armenia, Podolian thief, catamite of Tartary, hangman of Kamyanets, and fool of all the world and underworld, an idiot before God, grandson of the Serpent, and the crick in our dick. Pig's snout, mare's arse, slaughterhouse cur, unchristened brow. Screw thine own mother!

So the Zaporozhians declare, you lowlife. You won't even be herding pigs for the Christians. Now we'll conclude, for we don't know the date and don't own a calendar; the moon's in the sky, the year with the Lord. The day's the same over here as it is over there; for this kiss our arse!

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Awesome, thank you!

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
https://twitter.com/NewsfeedUkraine/status/1496075061568151553

bandwagoners

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Gotta admit, I only learned about Transnistria yesterday when I saw a video of someone simulating a Russian/NATO war in Ukraine using Hearts of Iron IV.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Drone_Fragger posted:

Sanctions are pointless while the UK allows endless washtrading in London properties for Russian banks and oligarchs
We just need to help the UK cut itself off further from the world economy.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

sticksy posted:

This made me go and re-read the original letter they supposedly wrote to the Turkish sultan - pretty good troll:

Definitely a higher-effort act of memetic diplomacy than the US embassy's, but I guess they don't make them like they (apocryphally) used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Sinteres posted:

Just gonna say that I don't think US embassies should be posting poo poo like that.

Why?