Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Anti imperialism is when you do nothing about imperialist countries rolling over their neighbours because you don't live there

E: worst snipe

Here's my cat begging for her dinner a full hour early, the little poo poo

Dabir fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Bit devil's advocate and I'm not even sure how much I buy it myself, but if Putin plans to annex breakaway regions of Ukraine that overwhelmingly want to be part of Russia anyway, what exactly is the big deal? Self determination and all that.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Dabir posted:

Anti imperialism is when you do nothing about imperialist countries rolling over their neighbours because you don't live there

if the anti imperialists were in charge there wouldn't be any sanctionable assets because the russian money in London has always been a priority of the uk left

you want the uk to throw its admirals at the russian army? I'm up for it but I'm not sure it'd help. maybe send the entire met over there

e; an excellent cat

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I thought the UK had stuffed Ukraine full of trainers etc
We stuffed Romania full of old trainers marked as high grade recyclable plastics. Maybe we did the same with Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/aceplym/status/1496132963335122946

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just think it is a bit cavalier to suggest that it is our prerogative to start funnelling arms into a country and potentially cause the breakdown of their society by encouraging the formation of armed resistance groups, in the hopes that some of them will get killed in a way that makes russia's life more difficult.

I especially am skeptical of the UK's ability to do that in a way that doesn't turn it into just a proxy war.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Bit devil's advocate and I'm not even sure how much I buy it myself, but if Putin plans to annex breakaway regions of Ukraine that overwhelmingly want to be part of Russia anyway, what exactly is the big deal? Self determination and all that.

The issue is that Russia's spent the past decade at least funding these separatist movements and pushing them as hard as possible. It's like saying "If the UK suddenly wants to leave the EU, what's the problem" without giving any thought to where that sentiment came from.

E: Not saying Russia was responsible for Brexit. I'm sure they're not unhappy to see it and might have chucked some cash in its direction, but home grown disaster capitalists and lunatics were responsible for Brexit.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 22, 2022

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

And if he can write this well with one hand imagine what he can do with two!

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

Is there actually any genuine support for this besides the obvious astroturfing?

It be a valid point sure, but I haven't seen anyone suggest that it's actually the case. People fleeing those regions suggests they're not too keen to welcome their new overlords.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Oh that dastardly Corbyn, I hear he went into his local library and spat on all the Primo Levi books!

Also been looking for this laugh riot for a while:

https://twitter.com/robw1972/status/1496129307466510343

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Well, he does have Leukemia, so... yeah?

(the person posting the Tweet probably didn't know that)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

OwlFancier posted:

I just think it is a bit cavalier to suggest that it is our prerogative to start funnelling arms into a country and potentially cause the breakdown of their society by encouraging the formation of armed resistance groups, in the hopes that some of them will get killed in a way that makes russia's life more difficult.

I especially am skeptical of the UK's ability to do that in a way that doesn't turn it into just a proxy war.

It's already a proxy war since Ukraine's military is funded by the US and Ukraine's separatist movements are funded by Russia and in some situations are actual serving Russian soldiers.

All we've really seen recently is an increase of scale - this isn't the first time Russia's put troops into Ukrainian territory, but it sure appears to be the most troops and materiel they've committed.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Dabir posted:

The issue is that Russia's spent the past decade at least funding these separatist movements and pushing them as hard as possible. It's like saying "If the UK suddenly wants to leave the EU, what's the problem" without giving any thought to where that sentiment came from.

E: Not saying Russia was responsible for Brexit. I'm sure they're not unhappy to see it and might have chucked some cash in its direction, but home grown disaster capitalists and lunatics were responsible for Brexit.

I am once again asking you to remember if anything happened a decade ago that might have made russia abandon hopes of diplomatic ties with ukraine

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The referendum that the people of Eastern Ukraine were offered was "Do you want to a) be a part of Russia or b) *deliberately obscured reference to historical document that means existing as an independent republic*" Remaining a part of Ukraine literally wasn't an option. So, I think anyone could excused for being suspicious about the actual level of enthusiasm for independence in the region.

OwlFancier posted:

America's "life being more difficult" (lots of soldiers dying in horrible ways and people at home hearing all about it) was what turned the American public against Vietnam. At this point, if Putin is committed to invading, there's nothing anyone can do to change that, but if it goes badly enough it might make him think again about the next one.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dabir posted:

Russia does have a much bigger military but they have to keep most of it committed to other things, like defending the rest of their enormous borders. Ukraine gets to use all of theirs. Russia has more manpower, can't do much about that, but the equipment difference where they really blow Ukraine out of the water, and you can make up that difference pretty effectively if you're smart about what you send. An anti tank missile costs much less than a tank, for instance.

Ukraine also has to defend all of that long, long border it has with Russia and Belarus. The attacker always has it easier, as they can decide where to actually concentrate the attack.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
It's wild to me that Russia and Belarus haven't united already, it seems like something both sides keep flirting with each other about but they never seal the deal.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

rent. free.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Please do not kick back during an anal adventure, that's how knees get broken.

#susanalbumparty

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

America's "life being more difficult" (lots of soldiers dying in horrible ways and people at home hearing all about it) was what turned the American public against Vietnam. At this point, if Putin is committed to invading, there's nothing anyone can do to change that, but if it goes badly enough it might make him think again about the next one.

Which, still, is the US and UK deciding that Ukranians should be made to fight and die for what the US and UK thinks is preferable, even in the best case scenario that's iffy to me, and the practical reality is likely to be far worse because no country on this earth does things without trying to get something out of it themselves.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

rent. free.
Also got beaten to it.

https://twitter.com/CeilNoyle/status/1496042238387884033

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Dabir posted:

I see the point you're getting at but I'm not sure that's a good comparison to support it, since Brexit went ahead and has been more or less accepted as a legitimate democratic decision regardless of how much misinformation, lying and shady money was involved in getting to that decision.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
not sure why im posting this in this thread but... seems like a bit of forced (?) error from putin tbh, trading that pipeline, deeper economic integration with europe and splitting the nato bloc for what? two separatist provinces that were already under russian control de facto and a shot at maybe getting involved in a quagmire border war over wider Ukraine

feels like he's still hurting domestically over the economy and internationally over armenia and as much worried about deepening chinese-turkish ties in the stans on his southern border now that the US has pulled out of it's bulwark in afghan

i would expect him to claim all of Donetsk and Luhansk for soft power projection but stop at the line of actual control and prepare the processes for another slice of the salami in a few months/years. if he does push into the Ukrainians hard now then you do have to revise some of the assumptions about how decisions are being taken on the Russian side

currently he's done his best mad dog impression to rattle the competition in the west and south, he's got some info about the kind of sanctions the west has prepped and their unity and resolve to enforce them and he's made the ground reality in the separatist areas de jure. on the flip side if he wasn't expecting to loose NS2 maybe he now has to gain more from this excursion to offset it, difficult to see what marching to Kyiv gets him though

Rustybear fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 22, 2022

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

ThomasPaine posted:

Because besides Crimea, no other region had a majority wanting to join Russia, until some guys came over the border and shot people who suggested otherwise.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThomasPaine posted:

It's wild to me that Russia and Belarus haven't united already, it seems like something both sides keep flirting with each other about but they never seal the deal.

As I understand it the current status quo somewhat benefits both sides. Russia has a buffer state that can hold itself out as a "neutral" party when convenient, but at the same time adds to Russia's prestige (if you take the view that a great power has to have a sphere of influence, you need nominally indpendent countries doing your bidding as a prerequisite to be one) and is one of the few friends Russia actually has in the world.

On the other hand, Belarus, for all its many, many, many faults actually managed to keep most of its industries under state control and pretty much singularly avoided the neoliberal shock therapy that was visited upon the rest of the former Eastern Bloc. In the event of actual unity, those industries would likely be privatised and end up in the hands of the russian oligarchs, rather than in the pockets of influential Belarussians.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

ThomasPaine posted:

belarus is very politically fragile as all dictatorships are and a transition of power creates space for dissidents to, for example, rally people around the nationalist cause. why upset the apple cart when the current situation is perfectly functional

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

There is also a difference between a popular insurgency and a professional army, though. And I'm not sure that trying to create and arm the former in Ukraine is necessarily very non-imperialist?

Like, if russia somehow invaded the UK and the US started parachuting piles of rocket launchers into the place and telling everyone to start trying to kill as many russians as possible, I don't know that I would consider that an act of charity? And I also would have some concerns about what that would mean for the prospect of what the UK would look like afterwards even if it somehow won?

In a world with empires, one of the most basic requirements for an independent nation to stay independent is for it to successfully balance the interests and influence of rival empires. When an empire invades, your best bet at repelling them is generally by persuading one of their rivals that it's in their self-interest to fund, equip, and otherwise assist you against your occupiers. It's far from morally ideal, but it's how successful anti-imperialism usually works in the real world - there's a reason the flag of Mozambique has a Kalashnikov on it. Anti-imperialist international endeavours usually involve providing the same aid with fewer strings attached, as (for example) Cuba did in the Angolan/South African Bush War.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

there's a reason the flag of Mozambique has a Kalashnikov on it
To keep the book open on the right page when you need to hoe the garden.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still really don't see a functional difference between throwing guns and agitation into a country and throwing troops into it other than that you can sell the guns and make money off it and also get the foreigners to die instead of people who might upset your electoral prospects.

If you want something done you should use your own army to do it, IMO. And if you don't want to use your own army to do it you probably shouldn't be expecting other people to do it for you.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/timfarron/status/1496089431803105284
trying to think of a comment to make about this exchange, but nope, nothing is coming to mind

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

"milk wanker"

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

The referendum that the people of Eastern Ukraine were offered was "Do you want to a) be a part of Russia or b) *deliberately obscured reference to historical document that means existing as an independent republic*" Remaining a part of Ukraine literally wasn't an option. So, I think anyone could excused for being suspicious about the actual level of enthusiasm for independence in the region.

They should have just asked "Should Ukraine be part of Russia?" and ask Farage to run the campaign.

52% will vote yes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Apraxin posted:

https://twitter.com/timfarron/status/1496089431803105284
trying to think of a comment to make about this exchange, but nope, nothing is coming to mind
If only we could have had austerity, al-Nusra running Syria, and a 5p tax on plastic bags, hey Tim?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Which, still, is the US and UK deciding that Ukranians should be made to fight and die for what the US and UK thinks is preferable, even in the best case scenario that's iffy to me, and the practical reality is likely to be far worse because no country on this earth does things without trying to get something out of it themselves.

They're being invaded. They're already fighting and dying. Your argument only works if we were pointing them at some other country and going "right, off you go then".

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Gort posted:

It's already a proxy war since Ukraine's military is funded by the US and Ukraine's separatist movements are funded by Russia and in some situations are actual serving Russian soldiers.

All we've really seen recently is an increase of scale - this isn't the first time Russia's put troops into Ukrainian territory, but it sure appears to be the most troops and materiel they've committed.

This pot of stew was boiling away from 2014-15 and then simmered until 2022 when Putin brought it to the boil again, it's a long term conflict. :shrug:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Dabir posted:

Here's my cat begging for her dinner a full hour early, the little poo poo

Don't give in or you will end up in a mog doom spiral like me where my cat now tries his luck for breakfast at 4am :ughh:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I still really don't see a functional difference between throwing guns and agitation into a country and throwing troops into it other than that you can sell the guns and make money off it and also get the foreigners to die instead of people who might upset your electoral prospects.

If you want something done you should use your own army to do it, IMO. And if you don't want to use your own army to do it you probably shouldn't be expecting other people to do it for you.

It's a simple question of power and agency. You can control the weapons in your own hands, choosing whether and how you use them to fight and what you use them to fight for. You can't control an occupying army. Gifting or selling weapons cedes some degree of power and agency, while sending in the troops keeps it entirely in your hands. That is, among other things, quite important for making sure that your 'resistance movement' shares the interests of the people it's supposedly defending against its occupiers, rather than simply serving as a second colonial entity within the country.

That may sound like a very low bar, but it's a bar that imported foreign troops consistently fail to meet when defending against an invasion.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

They're being invaded. They're already fighting and dying. Your argument only works if we were pointing them at some other country and going "right, off you go then".

If Russia was nazi germany and was planning to start massacring the population then that might be the case, but the question is surely more whether or not it is better to lose the war (and professional militaries usually stop fighting once they lose) or whether it is better for the west to try and provoke and arm a militia to engage in a protracted fight at great cost to the people who live there. To prolong the war in the hopes of achieving their preferred end goal which they have not proven especially good at doing in recent history.

Again if you asked me whether in the case of a hypothetical invasion of the UK, whether or not I would rather the UK just lost or got turned into a perpetual warzone for the entertainment of US arms manufacturers, I think i would probably pick the former to be honest.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On this topic, and given Putin's recent swipe at Lenin, this quote seems relevant:

https://twitter.com/danfinn95/status/1495873695084077058?s=21

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pistol_Pete posted:

Well, he does have Leukemia, so... yeah?

(the person posting the Tweet probably didn't know that)

Nice to get some good news for a change.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

oh hey ukmt, i forgot to update my bookmarks for february, did i miss anything interesting this month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You might have missed angela "robocop" rayner demanding that the police shoot more people, that was pretty good.