Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kobal2 posted:

That's... kind of whack. Very whack, in fact.
How does a city being blockaded *gain* supplies ? If anything, cities should start with N supply (500 per growth tier ?) and lose 500 per turn besieged...
Stockpiling supplies and scavenging in the city. Medieval cities and walls were not really "battle ready" at any given time and had a bunch of temporary repairs and additions made every time they looked like they were going to be attacked. I assume that's the abstraction.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i also got the skaven denial trait after fighting, and beating, several skaven armies in the desert. it seems insane that trait would trigger only after fighting or encountering skaven.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I just noticed the Skaven in their army :lol:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the friendly skaven make it even more on brand

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
Probably an extremely dumb question, but if you're behind in the souls race (I have one soul as Demon Prince at turn 80, one of the Cathay factions has two and I have no way to get from Kislev to their region quickly) do I just have to park my LL in the Forge of Souls and wait for them to go in? I lost a game at turn 155 yesterday and I want to avoid having to start over again, but I'm not really sure what I can do beyond hoping to luck out on beating the AI to the next round of souls.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Angrymantium posted:

Probably an extremely dumb question, but if you're behind in the souls race (I have one soul as Demon Prince at turn 80, one of the Cathay factions has two and I have no way to get from Kislev to their region quickly) do I just have to park my LL in the Forge of Souls and wait for them to go in? I lost a game at turn 155 yesterday and I want to avoid having to start over again, but I'm not really sure what I can do beyond hoping to luck out on beating the AI to the next round of souls.

That would not allow you to get ahead in the souls race though, since your LL is tied up in the forge all the time. So you'd have to simultaneously use your other armies to destroy every faction who's ahead of you I think. Does not seem realistic to me.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I just noticed the Skaven in their army :lol:

Gamerofthegame posted:

the friendly skaven make it even more on brand

Those are just Tilean mercenaries. :colbert:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It feels like you either can't fall behind, you have to stage it so that you and your competitors go to the same realm so you can krump em, or you delete their faction from the campaign map.

Camping might work, you can swap the LL out and wait five turns to get them back while some generic Lord campaign the forge but end game doomstacks are pretty scary. Especially Demon factions.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Nothing is scary when its in front of a gunline.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The trick is to just ignore farming for souls and instead keep track of who is doing well and using the chaos portals as your personal transportation system to whoever is winning the race and annihilating them while their army is in the chaos realm :smug:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I like that the plot is that belakor is trying to farm enough money from fighting you to summon a doomstack

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I hope in Mortal Empires for 3 they combine the Warp Portals and Vortex campaign mechanics, as optional things. As in, the Vortex factions are racing to stabilize/destabilize the Vortex, and Order/Chaos factions can assist passively (Send money, send troops, to increase their performance). Meanwhile your Chaos Portals appear every once in a while once corruption gets too high, and if the Vortex is destabilized, the number of Portals go up/The Chaos invasion becomes way worse.

Then, when the big Chaos Incursion (End times) come, if it's defeated, Vortex re-stabilizes/Portals decrease in frequency/number, while if the Chaos Incursion wins, well, that's game over then.

Be a cool way to tie all this together. I hope I can really march Karl Franz into the Chaos Dimension and get some wicked cool prizes.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think the chaos portals might be really good at stopping the ordertide, if nothing else.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Lt. Lizard posted:

No way. They really made "you can shoot over head of your dwarf allies" a thing? :allears:

It was always a thing. Normally guns can't shoot over units, but if you have dwarfs fighting orcs, the orcs are generally tall enough that thunderers can shoot over their allies into them, especially if they are bigguns or black orcs.

This also works for everyone else and monstrous infantry. So if you are playing Kislev or Cathay and Ogres attack your dudes, they are tall enough that you can blast them.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Chaos portals are how they're going to let you traverse the world in the combined map without having to spend 20 turns walking from one side of the map to the other

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
I don't love the rifts and the forced campaign in general, but once I've finished it with my first playthrough I'll just edit the rifts out using those instructions posted here earlier so I can just have a freeform campaign experience. Loving the game overall though.
Kislev for me has actually been a breeze, I got attacked a lot by some Norscans and got drawn into some Empire bullshit but otherwise I've been largely left alone. Only needed a couple of stacks, 1 for the rifts and 1 to look after the Oblasts and I'm on like turn 75 or so. Confederated 2 of the Kislev minor factions and will have all the supporters soon so I guess I'll have some more to deal with when Kostaltyn comes in to the fold.
Why the gently caress they haven't fixed this upkeep bug already is beyond me.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

henkman posted:

Chaos portals are how they're going to let you traverse the world in the combined map without having to spend 20 turns walking from one side of the map to the other

I dont want this and I dont want a faction that was United Against Me from across the world to teleport and attack my minor settlement 1 turn away from having walls

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Having the chaos forces start in a version of their realms could be an interesting way to play them anywhere on the map without cluttering a specific part of the map.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

hemale in pain posted:

Why does nurgle have such a big gap in their units? I was looking at the other chaos stuff and they've got themes going on but not such a bad roster.

Slaanesh seems worse off there. Nothin but fast glass cannons all the way down, and absolutely zero ranged units. At least yall get some ranged and flying cavalry.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Ristolaz posted:

I dont want this and I dont want a faction that was United Against Me from across the world to teleport and attack my minor settlement 1 turn away from having walls

Start building walls as soon as the tome starts talking to him.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Everything gets a wall in my games, everything. Minor town? Get a wall. City? You get a wall. Traitor? You get a wall. Demon? You get a wall.

The walls of Kislev are vast and very, very red.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Angrymantium posted:

Can't you use the rifts to port over and burn everything there to the ground?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Would that even make a difference? As long as they have their stack it's not going to stop them.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I think I'm done until they revisit the realm of Tzeentch or someone releases a mod to cut the nonsense. I like the other realms ok but a teleporter maze isn't great.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Would that even make a difference? As long as they have their stack it's not going to stop them.

They only have two souls though.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Angrymantium posted:

I lost a game at turn 155 yesterday and I want to avoid having to start over again, but I'm not really sure what I can do beyond hoping to luck out on beating the AI to the next round of souls.

You can (currently) keep on playing if you lose

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Eschatos posted:

Slaanesh seems worse off there. Nothin but fast glass cannons all the way down, and absolutely zero ranged units. At least yall get some ranged and flying cavalry.

I will be shocked, shocked, if after all the DLC is released all of the factions including Chaos Gods, don't have full rosters. Think back to W1 and W2 with Empire rosters. From the start you had spearmen, swordsmen, crossbowmen, handgunners, empire knights, reiksguard, greatswords, steamtanks, and 3 types of cannon, and lords (Just Generals and LL's at first, no Warrior Priests, I think those came with Volkmar's DLC). So about 13 units at start. Each Chaos god faction has about 13 or more units.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Prop Wash posted:

I think I'm done until they revisit the realm of Tzeentch or someone releases a mod to cut the nonsense. I like the other realms ok but a teleporter maze isn't great.

You know that every time you fight something you reveal one of the teleporter connections and white circles reveal two right? It's not much of a maze.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I will be shocked, shocked, if after all the DLC is released all of the factions including Chaos Gods, don't have full rosters. Think back to W1 and W2 with Empire rosters. From the start you had spearmen, swordsmen, crossbowmen, handgunners, empire knights, reiksguard, greatswords, steamtanks, and 3 types of cannon, and lords (Just Generals and LL's at first, no Warrior Priests, I think those came with Volkmar's DLC). So about 13 units at start. Each Chaos god faction has about 13 or more units.

Before DLC they also had Luminarks, Demigryphs, Outriders, Pistoleers and Halberdiers.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Thoughts on Kislev units:

Heroes: Wizards are pretty typical though the mechanic to send them to Hogwarts is neat. You can get some nice combinations out of it sometimes. They can also summon a snow leopard later on as an embedded skill which is useful. Patriarchs at least get a heal ability. Painful to note they have no hero skill to slow enemy armies (guess they make up for it with a edict that does this in your territory).

Boyars: I don't know how people are carrying so far with just basic boyars. They are versatile but still crumple pretty fast in melee, later on it helps to support them with stronger units. To their credit, they fare better than other races T1 archers vs things like fast beasts charging them.

Armored boyars: I want to use these more, stat wise they are almost thunderers in armor, shields, and defense. If money weren't so tight early/mid game then transitioning to these would be better, with their flat trajectory pistols keeping regular boyars still somewhat viabile still.

Strelsi: Kind of expensive and on a different upgrade path to other ranged units. Their axe rifles are wicked cool looking but similar to great weapon rangers or shades you pay a premium for a hybrid unit that can do a bit of everything.

Ice Guard: These are really fun units. Downside is that they get wrecked in melee for being a hybrid unit and their ranged damage isn't any better than lower tier boyars, but it's magic damage and slow in addition to great range. The tailwind spell to buff range and accuracy is great with them, and their slow stacks with ice magic slows. A couple of them can utterly bog down a clump of attackers.

Tsar guard: The only non hybrid infantry, I guess comparable to other tier 3 infantry? Expensive but tanky, decent blockers for your other ranged.

Cats and bears: the kitty seems like it has good damage and I like using it to clump infantry to use aoe spells against them. Haven't used the other bear units much. The sleds use rifles which are decent against flyers but micro intensive like many chariots.

Little Grom: I really like the new 'heavy artillery' that doesn't have a crew and has actually decent armor. It gives you ranged single target punch but it's a late tier unit and fires painfully slowly.

Overall: I like the concept of the 'hybrid army' but it feels like wood elves do this better. The lack of move +shoot as an upgrade or red skill hurts (a unit that can do this can advance on enemy ranged, forcing them to turn to run back while you shoot with impunity). I don't find the upgrades that great, Missile damage+melee defense is a good combo here but it's never enough. The prologue gave the impression you could build and stack buildings to buff your units (like wood elves can) but this doesn't seem to be the case. For being 'hybrid' I didn't find their melee performance to be that great honestly.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Captain Oblivious posted:

You know that every time you fight something you reveal one of the teleporter connections and white circles reveal two right? It's not much of a maze.

The problem is less that it's a maze, but that it's a competitive, rigged maze that you have to race through. If you could just take your time and either trial-and-error or fight armies however you wish to figure out the path that would be fine, but if any other LL is in the realm with you, then it basically comes down to luck because the AI takes completely different paths through the teleporters so for all you know they could get to the end on literally any turn without you having the ability to stop them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I like the idea of having to traverse the Chaos realms and fight some demons to teleport. So to teleport, you lose your army for a turn or two at least while you cross the realm and get some attrition so you lose something through teleport. And as far as being on the receiving end; you could have warnings for a turn before someone comes out. Also if the portals had a much smaller chaos corruption effect and where more or less permanent so you could plan around them map-wise.

But keeping the portals for faster movement options seems really important to me for the larger map.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Captain Oblivious posted:

The problem isn't that it's a "maze", if it actually was then it'd be easy to just find the right path at the outset and follow it. The problem is that it's 15 turns of wandering around aimlessly, fighting the most pain in the rear end faction in the game, without any sense of progress or momentum.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Zore posted:

Before DLC they also had Luminarks, Demigryphs, Outriders, Pistoleers and Halberdiers.

Dang I knew I forgot some stuff.

So slightly more than the Chaos gods. I'm sure their rosters will still get fleshed out a lot. W1 and W2 launched with 4-5 factions each, W3 launched with 8, it's no surprise their roster might be slightly less.

Also, Tzeentzch's chaos plane being incredibly irritating and super non-intuitive is 100% in character for him.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Ravenfood posted:

Stockpiling supplies and scavenging in the city. Medieval cities and walls were not really "battle ready" at any given time and had a bunch of temporary repairs and additions made every time they looked like they were going to be attacked. I assume that's the abstraction.

Yeah, but at the same time, try building poo poo while you're being pelted with arrows, rocks, magic, giant flying monsters... all day, every day.
Besieging isn't playing cards outside the walls, yanno ?

EDIT : and, all "realism" talk aside... who likes every last minor settlement being a pain in the Chaos Dick to take ?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think the auto-resolve should have to take all your units to 10% health before it can start killing off your units, I'd like to be able to auto-resolve a 20vs3 battle without losing my weakest unit.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I mean that's a given. WH3 will be good-to-fantastic circa 2027. Buying Total War games on release is a mug's game.
Which I still play, don't get me wrong.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I finished the campaign. I'm actually very bad at these games so it took me a lot of time but like everyone's saying I can't imagine doing the Chaos stuff a second time. It's ok once. I imagine twice would be a little tedious. Three times and I'm probably gonna want to throw myself directly into one of Nurgle's TummyMouths, so that's not good. Good for them for trying to do something new that isn't just "kill everything adjacent to you and then everything adjacent to them" but "we made a mandatory colored battle gauntlet" isn't much better.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I haven't had much problem with Tzeentch's realm in either of my campaigns, probably spent 5-6 turns in there in both. Just choose the "reveal sigils" for every battle and landmark, and you get the right path quick enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Anyone has attempted a domination victory yet? Sounds tempting to just ignore the soul hunting, however map painting on such a scale means lots and lots of tedious siege/ minor settlement battles.