Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

We need to clarify this a bit more, is this regular Lamar Jackson, or Lamar Jackson after taking a huge dump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I'll admit to not watching many Raiders games, but my impression was that Derek Carr is... fine? Like, yeah, he's not the best QB in the league, but he's not holding the Raiders back or anything.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'll admit to not watching many Raiders games, but my impression was that Derek Carr is... fine?

Yeah as a rival AFCW fan to me he's fine but not special and there is no way in the world they're upgrading anytime soon. Barring a mythical trade for Rodgers I guess.

I understand why some Raiders fans get all defensive about him.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Murray isn't an NFL starter is a bit of a hot take.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Derek Carr is the middle income trap of QBs.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Dunno where this fits into the current discussion. But it seems fun!

https://twitter.com/arjunmenon100/status/1496131819959472129

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Check out the Lions and Jets only being sort of rear end instead of total rear end in that chart.

Rams getting some pretty decent ROI considering I don't know if they've even had picks the last 5 years.

e: Huh, no first rounders for the Rams since 2019 but they've had 9 picks each draft. They've gotten to throw a lot of darts and have hit on some ok glue type players. Nothing anyone would be super jealous about, but solid guys.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 22, 2022

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Grittybeard posted:

Check out the Lions and Jets only being sort of rear end instead of total rear end in that chart.

TJ Hockenson is *checks notes*

Good.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MrLogan posted:

See, this is what I mean. Murray is straight up bad and might not be an NFL quality starter, but this guy is trying to say he's better than Carr.

It's like TFF gets it's QB ratings from watching ESPN hot takes and only looking at fanty numbers. Yeah, Dak is a great because he throws for a million yards in garbage time when losing to bad teams!

lol that you included Baker on the list.

I was listing the top half of quarterbacks in the league, not going "All of them are obviously better than Carr". Your persecution complex is showing.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

How are you ripping on Dak's production not mattering in defense of Carr? When's the last relevant win the Raiders had?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nosre posted:

Seems like "which QBs are clearly superior" is the easier question:

Stafford, Rodgers, Prescott, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Mahomes. Top8 confirmed!

Guys like Wilson, Murray, and Jackson could fix their issues and/or heat up again, but it's hard to say any of them are clearly better right now

Yes it’s impossible to say if Russell Wilson and L Jackson are better than Carr. We simply don’t have the technology. The numbers haven’t been discovered yet.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

How are you ripping on Dak's production not mattering in defense of Carr? When's the last relevant win the Raiders had?

They knocked their rival out of the playoffs to get themselves a spot like a month ago, OP.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

MJeff posted:

Murray isn't an NFL starter is a bit of a hot take.

It's a bad take for sure. Murray isn't the most consistent QB but he's also in year 3/4, and not every QB fully blossoms into stardom on the rookie contract. He's a dominant rushing QB who needs to work on touch throws and general short/mid accuracy.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kalli posted:

Like a month ago when they beat the Chargers to get in the playoffs?

I'm not the biggest Carr fan but he's alright, and you could do a lot worse. Like, if you were the Titans right now would you rather have Tannehill or Carr? That being said, no way in hell I'd pay him a 40 million dollar contract though

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 22, 2022

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

MJeff posted:

Dunno where this fits into the current discussion. But it seems fun!

https://twitter.com/arjunmenon100/status/1496131819959472129

This paints a rosier picture of the Seahawks than I expected. That's not to say I think the Seahawks are drafting well in general, because they're not (yes, there's a few exceptions like DK). I guess it shows things could always be a lot worse?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Bob Socko posted:

This paints a rosier picture of the Seahawks than I expected. That's not to say I think the Seahawks are drafting well in general, because they're not (yes, there's a few exceptions like DK). I guess it shows things could always be a lot worse?

Surprised the Patriots are this high TBH

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bob Socko posted:

WAR in football is a totally subjective statistic.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

WAR is baseball nerds trying to make fetch happen in football, but also yeah the chargers 2019 and 2020 drafts outside of Herbie have been not good with like, Nasir Adderley being the best of that crew? 2021 was pretty good though

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Do I remember correctly that the Falcons' main issue was similar to that of the Bengals, in that their LT is serviceable but they might as well not have Guards out there they are so bad?

The biggest issues on the line are Jalen Mayfield having a very rough rookie year (playing at guard instead of his tackle position from college) and Kaleb McGary (playing as a literal turnstile). They're also a really young unit overall.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The funny thing about the Bengals is they traded back and took a very weak guard - at least his rookie year - in Jackson Carmen in the second round, but I don't remember any of the linemen drafted around that phase of last year's draft class that seemed to have any sort of production their rookie year.

If the bengals take Trey Smith with basically any one of their several picks before he eventually went in the sixth or seventh round they probably win the super bowl this year. Instead it was:

Jackson Carman: occasional flashes but supposedly has a terrible work ethic and is already in the doghouse with the coaching staff.

D'ante Smith: seemed to be making a play first starting reps but got injured when he was already under sized.

Trey Hill: had some spot play but looked pretty forgettable. Seems perpetually mentally behind and penalty prone.

The only guy Bengals fans have any sort of optimism for is Smith, but even then it's a hope for a project working out rather than something you've actually seen on the field.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Nodoze posted:

I'm not the biggest Carr fan but he's alright, and you could do a lot worse. Like, if you were the Titans right now would you rather have Tannehill or Carr?
Spider man pointing thingy

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

What's all this about

https://twitter.com/God_Son80/status/1496120022309253127?s=20&t=LhzmMy9TSJyWhhZfNS2Zqw

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Being cut or dumped?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Jarvis come to the Rams

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chucktesla posted:

WAR is baseball nerds trying to make fetch happen in football, but also yeah the chargers 2019 and 2020 drafts outside of Herbie have been not good with like, Nasir Adderley being the best of that crew? 2021 was pretty good though

It's also a cumulative stat, so your 2021 guys aren't showing up yet.

I mean it's a pretty dumb chart all in all, but we're in draft season so it's something to talk about.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Landry made some post on Instagram earlier where he talked about how he was hurt all season and never complained or some such. General gruntling, I guess?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

DariusLikewise posted:

Jarvis come to the Chargers

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Who isn't gruntling in Cleveland at this point

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Breaking kayfabe Derek Carr is pretty good but if he is a "top 8" qb that means QBs suck rear end now. He's not exactly a tight window thrower but his arm is definitely strong enough to be coveted by most teams. It wasn't that long ago that teams would look at a 2:1 or worse INT ratio and go 'well that's good enough'. He really misses Amari Cooper, or at least some WR that gets insane separation. His feet are happy as gently caress, always:

I can just keep pulling up plays where he bounces around so much leading into an inaccurate throw. He's always been like that, even since college. It's really good for going through reads and shifting the pocket but man does it lead to some stupid poo poo. It also doesn't help that he's nascent Philip Rivers.

I feel like the second his pocket breaks down or looks iffy he starts bouncing around like Geno Smith before delivering a side arm. It works but it's hardly reliable. I know I hate on Philip Rivers a lot but there's a reason. Sidearm, open body throws will result in unreliable play. It absolutely burns QBs like that in the playoffs. Either they have a meteoric run like Mahomes or they completely embarrass themselves out of the playoffs... like Mahomes. You can't rely on low velocity. It's just not consistent.

Two things make me forgive Carr. He really never has talent. They traded Cooper for ~reasons~. Mack was fine, I get that no defensive player is worth more than a couple of firsts, especially an expensive one, but they absolutely torpedoed any momentum they had dumping Cooper. Renfrow and Ruggs were good receiving options but neither get the consistent separation Carr needs with his style of play. Waller is an immense talent but they stumbled into him and one TE won't make your mediocre QB win a lot cough Romo. The other thing is he really is just a solidly smart QB. I feel like all those happy feet guys that constantly shift and go through reads just get a ton of practice through poor play which somehow leads to reading fields way better than if they tried to stay calm in the pocket. He will find open guys. That's an important trait.

Ultimately I think it just comes down to the fact that again we were spoiled by premier QB play for years and years. Now we have to deal with the Derek Carrs of the world legitimately being top QBs because the other option is like uh Kyler Murray or something.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Browns fans have turned on Jarvis and want him gone for under performing while injured to poo poo. Fanbase getting as dumb as the owner

https://twitter.com/God_Son80/status/1496116586977153026
https://twitter.com/God_Son80/status/1496116794582798347
https://twitter.com/God_Son80/status/1496116958525276172

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's pretty crazy how the Browns are self-destructing despite doing, IMO, one of the hardest things to do in the modern NFL in assembling an exceptional offensive line

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Doltos posted:

Ultimately I think it just comes down to the fact that again we were spoiled by premier QB play for years and years. Now we have to deal with the Derek Carrs of the world legitimately being top QBs because the other option is like uh Kyler Murray or something.

Yeah I think he is and always has been the definition of Fine it's just the rest of the league has moved around him. He's not gonna leada sorry team further, he's not gonna drag a good team down, and honestly that is a pretty good place to be, top 10 not top 5. phil rivers like you said.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This is the 2nd time in recent memory that MrLogan has gone in on the "Actually, Kyler Murray doesn't even belong in the NFL" take and it's just out there, man.

7.9 y/a this year passing. That's top 5 production. 20+ teams would take him as their starting QB.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

jackson carman was an unimpressive tackle once he got to the college level and a complete question mark at guard since he'd never played it. i believe they drafted him based on being the #1 prospect out of ohio a few years earlier rather than anything substantive because i'm smart

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jalen Mayfield is what happens when Baker and Hurts do a fusion dance

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

At least in these uncertain times the Browns remain a constant

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Doltos posted:

Breaking kayfabe Derek Carr is pretty good but if he is a "top 8" qb that means QBs suck rear end now. He's not exactly a tight window thrower but his arm is definitely strong enough to be coveted by most teams. It wasn't that long ago that teams would look at a 2:1 or worse INT ratio and go 'well that's good enough'. He really misses Amari Cooper, or at least some WR that gets insane separation. His feet are happy as gently caress, always:

This is basically how I feel about Carr. He's in a weird spot where he is above the Dalton Line but clearly not a top level guy.

Also he really has only slid into being a fringe top 10 guy because a bunch of guys in front of him retired and another can't keep his hands off massage therapists and isn't playing

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Diva Cupcake posted:

This is the 2nd time in recent memory that MrLogan has gone in on the "Actually, Kyler Murray doesn't even belong in the NFL" take and it's just out there, man.

7.9 y/a this year passing. That's top 5 production. 20+ teams would take him as their starting QB.

That's because MrLogan has a lovely gimmick

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Kyler Murray has some deficiencies that need to be worked on but he is absolutely not a replacement level QB. He's still really good despite his issues and it's hard to tell whether they are because of/hindered by Kliff or not. Probably a little of both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Kyler Murray has gone 3 years in the NFL and still can't read a defense.