Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Lol if Triple H had a heart attack because he finally found out that many years ago, Vince made a deal with the Samoan wrestling mafia that if he ever sold the company, he had to be preferential to them, and right now the only Samoan who could make that deal happen is the guy who was accepted as a mega babyface by the fans, made into a bigger star than wrestling, couldn't be held down by The Clique, hates H's best friend, Dwayne The Rock Johnson.

He already bought the XFL from Vince.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Archer666 posted:

Wasn't TNA also the place where AJ Styles just went out and dropped the f-slur during a segment?

The godfather also did this, directed at William regal on an episode of WWF RAW in 1998. Super cool!

Cornwind Evil posted:

This was a step too far, and Hogan swore that he would make them pay, and go to ‘The Dark Side of Hulkamania’ to do it.

also :lmao: at The Dark Side Of Hulkamania

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
if someone saved my life the way DDP saved dustin's I would unironically build a shrine to that person, and be glad to do it

thats not the only person DDP saved but man that save in particular was amazing

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
HOLD IT RIGHT THERE FREAK!!!!!!!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Animal-Mother posted:

Lol if Triple H had a heart attack because he finally found out that many years ago, Vince made a deal with the Samoan wrestling mafia that if he ever sold the company, he had to be preferential to them, and right now the only Samoan who could make that deal happen is the guy who was accepted as a mega babyface by the fans, made into a bigger star than wrestling, couldn't be held down by The Clique, hates H's best friend, Dwayne The Rock Johnson.

He already bought the XFL from Vince.
Who's Triple H's alleged best friend and how did that start?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Lol at the xfl getting ingested today by the nfl to be it’s nxt 1.0. Vince must be fuming at the rock taking his dream of making the football league out of that lovely pacino movie and capitulating to the soulless minions of orthodoxy.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Shumagorath posted:

Who's Triple H's alleged best friend and how did that start?

Shawn Michaels. He disrespected Rock's mom when he was working for her at some point.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Animal-Mother posted:

Shawn Michaels. He disrespected Rock's mom when he was working for her at some point.

Well she made him a piping hot poontang pie when he really wanted some strudel.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's funny that Shawn Michaels apparently wasn't acting at all and was actually a total dick haha.

I liked him a lot in the rockers, they did lots of rad high flyin poo poo.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

As we last left Chikara, they had just done a storyline where they closed down for a year and fans left in droves. Story means nothing if there’s no wrestling to go with it.

That’s a good enough segue to Chikara: Rudo Resurrection, a video game announced via trailer back in 2010. Then for years there was nothing. Finally, it came back and was put on Indiegogo, revealed as a Final Fight clone with Chikara guys. It failed pretty badly because if people are going to pay for a Chikara game, they would probably want an actual wrestling game!

Thankfully, they tried that a few years after with the announcement of Chikara Action Arcade Wrestling. Another crowd-funded game, this time it was actually wrestling and featured over-the-top poo poo like shooting lasers and lightning. This time, it hit its goal at the last minute, rumored to be the doing of Claudio Castagnoli/Cesaro. It’s just that due to there being like one whole programmer involved, it would take a long, long time.

We’ll get back to that.

2015 was when Chikara tried a bloated, but promising idea called Challenge of the Immortals. Ten wrestlers would be team captains and would draft three teammates. These ten teams of four would take part in a double round robin tournament that would last the entire season. The matches could be singles, tag, trios, or four-on-four. The winning team members would each get automatic title shots whenever they wanted them.

A neat idea that would make every match important in the big picture, but when only a few teams had actual storylines going on, a lot of the matches felt pointless. At least it paid off in the end when the team led by Princess Kimber Lee won at the season finale. Minutes later, the main event had Hallowicked retain the Chikara Grand Championship against challengers Icarus and Eddie Kingston. Kimber Lee came out to cash out her Challenge of the Immortals victory and won the impromptu match, giving us a woman as the company’s main champion. Hallowicked won it back months later, but still, pretty awesome.

2016’s season, otherwise known as Season 16, had this big plot about wrestlers being taken over by a malevolent psychic force. Long story. It ended with fan favorite UltraMantis Black, who had retired a year earlier, rekindling his feud with champ Hallowicked. This is where we got one of Chikara’s more inspired and unique concepts.

A few months later, 2017’s first show was streamed online and there was something off. One tag wrestler had randomly become a singles wrestler with a new gimmick. A relatively new tag team was referred to as “veterans.” The final segment was an UltraMantis promo, believed to be him announcing that he was coming out of retirement to challenge for the title. Instead, he opened up his robe to reveal he was already wearing the championship belt.

The ring announcer ended the show by welcoming us to Season 18 of Chikara. See, Chikara had just introduced their own streaming service. As a way to help get more people interested, they filmed a SECRET SEASON weeks earlier with a full audience. If you wanted to see Season 17 and wanted to see UltraMantis win the championship, you could only do it through Chikaratopia.

Season 18 was home to one of the company’s bigger missteps. For several years, they had a guy on the roster named Juan Francisco de Coronado. While solid in the ring despite his very short stature, he was a decent midcard heel with the gimmick of “rich dude from Ecuador.” For some reason, Quackenbush decided to book him as the company’s new champion. Not only that, but he held onto the title for over a year, defeating every major face. When he did finally lose the title, he was soon booked into a face turn where he became a flag-waving American patriot. It bombed hard and he retired soon after.

Oh, and he also got outed as a groomer. Good going, guys.

Interesting story from around this time. At King of Trios one year, they got ECW commentator Joey Styles to commentate for the entire weekend. This was a fairly last minute get, as Joey didn’t know anything about the product. Regular commentator Leonard F. Chikarason later admitted that seeing this announcement on Twitter was how he found out that he wasn’t going to be put to work that weekend. Anyway, Joey Styles took to Chikara well and it was announced that he would be doing commentary for the Chikara video game.

Then a month or so later, Joey Styles was on an indie PPV (non-Chikara) where he was specifically told not to make any Trump references as he’s a big CHUD. Midway into the PPV, he told one of the women on the show that he’d like to grab her by the pussy. He was fired and replaced before the show was over and Chikara immediately cut ties with him.

Another thing hurting the product was that Quackenbush seemed to be creatively burned out. Sure, he had a couple of good storyline ideas in there, but a lot of the time they would peter out into something dull or he would only be able to write a couple ongoing stories at a time. A lot of the shows felt like filler.

Hell, for three years in a row, King of Trios featured finals that were outsider team vs. outsider team (ie. three guys from the Bullet Club vs. three representatives from AAA). Really damning that Quackenbush couldn’t take his own roster seriously enough during this stretch to push them.

At the end of 2019, Chikara advertised some kind of mystery show at their Wrestle Factory training facility. Fans were extremely curious about it and there was no information given about it other than the time and place. People tuned into Chikaratopia and were confused and annoyed to see nothing. The show itself was Chikara taping what appeared to be a special pilot full of squash matches with the fans told specifically who to cheer for and how to cheer for them. This never aired in any way.

The belief is that the show was Quackenbush’s attempt to get Chikara on the WWE Network. Quackenbush had been dealing with the company by guest training NXT folk at the Performance Center and even being Alexa Bliss’ personal trainer. WWE was playing with the idea of putting indie companies under their wing for WWE Network content. There were even rumors of Quackenbush maybe giving up his spot in Chikara and moving to being an NXT trainer.

Whatever the deal was, it never happened. Then things got worse.

As the Chikara video game got released to the world, so did COVID. Chikara made due with a weekly series of shows streaming on Saturday mornings with no audience, but instead the face wrestlers would just hang out in a room together and comment on what was going on in-between matches. Named after the game, Chikara Action Arcade Series lasted for ten episodes and was set to be followed up by the season finale, Cibernetico 2020.

That’s when Speaking Out kicked in. Wrestlers from all over were being called out for their horrible behavior, especially in the sense of being sexual predators and abusers. Chikara already dealt with one of their trainers, Rory Gulak, being called out months earlier over some really vile poo poo and immediately canned him. Now more names were coming out, especially in terms of trainers. Quackenbush wasn’t named as a sexual predator, but he did allegedly do some abusive stuff and turned a blind eye to what his subordinates were up to.

The floodgates opened and many of the non-scummy wrestlers announced on Twitter that they were done with the company. This included champion Dasher Hatfield. Soon there was nothing left. Just a video of Quackenbush on YouTube, crying his eyes out while pleading for forgiveness in what comes off as the hammiest, fakest poo poo you’ve ever seen. Or maybe it’s from the heart. You really can’t tell with that guy.

Weeks later, the taped Cibernetico 2020 finally aired on Chikaratopia. The show ended with its new top face the Whisper standing tall. The Whisper, one of the bright spots of the last few years of the company, would later lament on Twitter that he can’t feel proud of his time in Chikara as he feels like nothing more than a joke. Poor guy.

Action Arcade Wrestling dropped the Chikara name and roster. Only recently did it come out for consoles. It’s completely average, but has a great create a wrestler system.

As it is right now, Quackenbush still runs the Wrestle Factory and based on the website, there’s one other trainer there. A guy whose Chikara gimmick was that he was a Dickensian businessman who sneezed a lot. Wrestling!

The younger wrestlers from the last years of Chikara decided to keep at it and started wrestling for a promotion called Camp Leapfrog. I should give it a look one of these days, but it already looks like the promotion’s done. Ah well.

Many Chikara alumni now wrestle in AEW. A few months ago, when final Chikara champion Dasher Hatfield (now Avery Good, Professional Wrestler) showed up to be a jobber for an episode of AEW Dark, he and the other former Chikara guys took a big photo together.

Chuck Taylor’s tag partner Trent? would respond to this picture with, “I’m glad you got out of that cult.”

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
loling at shane mcmahon telling brock lesnar that he was willing to put him over lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Samoa Joe has been kidnapped by ninjas, are you a bad enough dude to rescue Samoa Joe?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Samoa Joe has been kidnapped by ninjas, are you a bad enough dude to rescue Samoa Joe?

We weren't, and that's why he ended up with a dick tattooed on his face.

Gavok posted:

Chuck Taylor’s tag partner Trent? would respond to this picture with, “I’m glad you got out of that cult.”

It simply goes to show that, for all my words on how lovely and terrible WCW management was, and WWF management is, there's more than one way to be totally up your own rear end and end up with nothing but good and bad memories as a result. Or maybe this is just another example of what complete creative control does. Imagine if Quackenbush had had an editor and filter.

Because I get it, I really do. I see these ridiculous things with 20 moving pieces and it presses the autism spectrum buttons in my brain in a pleasing way, the idea that more = better. But here's the thing I try to remember. These sort of things work a LOT better when it's all done and complete and you can go through the whole thing and see all the pieces, especially if others analyze them for you. But when you're getting little dribbles one at a time in between periods of time, hence giving your memory time to fade, it becomes a lot less palatable. And of course, the terrible Vince Russo belief that you can run a wrestling promotion and storyline WITHOUT WRESTLING.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 22, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
vince is going to murder cody on live television and it will own

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cornwind Evil posted:

We weren't, and that's why he ended up with a dick tattooed on his face.

It simply goes to show that, for all my words on how lovely and terrible WCW management was, and WWF management is, there's more than one way to be totally up your own rear end and end up with nothing but good and bad memories as a result. Or maybe this is just another example of what complete creative control does. Imagine if Quackenbush had had an editor and filter.

Because I get it, I really do. I see these ridiculous things with 20 moving pieces and it presses the autism spectrum buttons in my brain in a pleasing way, the idea that more = better. But here's the thing I try to remember. These sort of things work a LOT better when it's all done and complete and you can go through the whole thing and see all the pieces, especially if others analyze them for you. But when you're getting little dribbles one at a time in between periods of time, hence giving your memory time to fade, it becomes a lot less palatable. And of course, the terrible Vince Russo belief that you can run a wrestling promotion and storyline WITHOUT WRESTLING.

And now I'm just thinking of Disney's Star Wars.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Ad by Khad posted:

if someone saved my life the way DDP saved dustin's I would unironically build a shrine to that person, and be glad to do it

thats not the only person DDP saved but man that save in particular was amazing

I saw his Jake the snake documentary, what’s the deal with Dustin Rhodes and DDP?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
DDP is a fitness guru now and DDP yoga has vastly improved the lives of many wrestlers and posters alike

BANG!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

On the surface DDP seems like one of those fitness bros I'd want to launch into the sun but turns out he rules a lot

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
This thread rules. I woke up feeling like poo poo because the effort posts have been fascinating and I didn't get to bed until way too late to get up for work. I stopped watching roughly around the WWE roster split. It sort of broke my brain to think that between WMXVII and X8 we had the entire Invasion angle and Flair and the nWo coming in. Please keep effort posting.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Right, so, yeah. A whole bunch of poo poo happened. In more than one way.

Also, before this, Hogan showed that he was a total moron by going back to the evil cave, where he was ambushed by the Dungeon (nice continuity though, with Giant pulling off Hogan’s cross like Andre did when he made his challenge to Hogan to set up their famous WM III match). Then Vader saved him because…he decided the Dungeon sucked or something. Don't believe me? I have proof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgqHn4IqA3o

Also, seems like everyone was finding that hidden cave of evil those days, what with Savage and Jimmy Hart just showing up at the end.

It was supposed to lead to Vader joining Hogan’s team of Hogan, Savage, and Sting at the September PPV for War Games, but before that Vader, perhaps seething over what Hogan had done to him in real life, got into a fight backstage with agent Paul Ordorff and was fired. So he headed to the WWF…and Shawn Michaels. Man, I don’t know what Leon White did in a past life, but it must have been both good (his initial heel run and his post WWF Japan run as he managed to get back a fair chunk of credibility before he slowly settled into retirement) and bad (Hogan, Michaels).

Anyway, since Vader was fired, Sting said hey, let’s have my friend Lex Luger join the team instead. Neither Hogan or Savage liked this idea or trusted Luger, but they ended up allowing it. Then Luger turned on Hogan as seen in that Hogan vs the Giant video if you somehow made it through all the painful lunacy. As did Hogan’s manager, Jimmy Hart, because…the Dungeon captured his phylactery, or something.

(A reference to the fact that Hart’s look in terms of age hasn’t changed much between his 20’s and his 70’s)

Also, Hart had put a clause in the contract that said the title could change hands on a disqualification as a further betrayal, so now Giant was the champion. Hogan refused to let legally binding contracts go over, and Giant was stripped of the title and it was put up for grabs for WCW’s November PPV and Royal Rumble stand in, World War III.

Neither Hogan or Giant would win that day, but Hogan would lose by getting pulled out of the ring ‘improperly’ ie not over the top rope, the refs wouldn’t see it, and they’d declare him eliminated, which allowed Randy Savage to win. And if you ever wanted to see just how drat selfish Hogan was and is, look no further than his behaviour during said title win, provided here courtesy of OSW Reviews. It’s so bad I think some of it is subconscious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuvoI089xZQ&t=4711s

(Goes for about four minutes, I started it a little earlier for full context)

Look at everything he does to get the attention off of Savage and onto him. It’s not that hard to arrange things so that Savage could get the spotlight and Hogan could as well, it would just require some delayed gratification, but complete creative control, brother.

Anyway, and sadly(?), perhaps in total shame over not being able to tell a YET-TAY from a MUM-MAY, it was around then that the Master wholly stopped appearing with the Dungeon of Doom. Likewise, as someone pointed out, the YET-TAY was supposed to be a returning Giant Gonzoles/El Gigante, but they couldn’t get him in time, so they dressed up also-gigantic Ron Reis in bandages to hide that it wasn’t El Gonzoles with the idea that they could unwrap him later for a ‘reveal’. Then Gonzoles didn’t sign up at all, so the YET-TAY learned martial arts and turned to cosplaying as Scorpion performing his fencing hobby to become the Super Giant Ninja.

Then the universe had enough of the dumbness and made Reis poof into the void until he’d show back up a few years later as the giant of the Flock, Raven’s WCW stable.

However, before he left, the Master would acquire the services of another fearsome terror, the ONE MAN GANG!

Ie Akeem the African Dream, in the gimmick he used before it and after it and the one I suspect he wishes he used throughout his whole career.

Gang would do a fair bit, in the sense that he was the last one Savage eliminated in the World War III Battle Royale, would be one of the very few people the Super Giant Ninja ever fought, and would actually win the U.S Title in a weird match where he beat the champion, then they restarted the match, then the champion won, then WCW decided the second match didn’t happen after all and as 1996 began One Man Gang was suddenly the champion. He would only have it for a month before losing it to “I wish I was Mexican” Cuban luchadore Konnan, who I am mentioning for reasons beyond who Gang lost the belt to. Then Gang left WCW. In protest over the unfair treatment of how he won his title, or something. But the Dungeon would bounce back from this loss and the further loss of Hogan beating the Giant in a Steel Cage match at the February PPV by bringing in the biggest, most legendary beast ever…LOCH NESS!

Ie, long time British gargantuan gimmick wrestler Martin Ruane, best known as Giant Haystacks, who was not only incredibly tall, but broad, weighing at his heaviest a shade under 700 pounds (!). It was fairly obvious that WCW was setting up Ruane vs Hogan next, but thankfully it never happened: not only had Ruane been wrestling for nearly 30 YEARS at this point, all of it being a huge rotund mass weighing nearly 500 pounds at his lightest, but shortly after he turned up he was diagnosed with lymphoma and retired from wrestling, the cancer sadly taking his life two years later. I say thank all gods, because even without the cancer, we had a 650 + pound man with three decades of wrestling wear and tear on him. The results were…not good, as I’ll let OSW again show you.

A bit showing Ruane in younger days with his somehow-drew-big-money-in-Britain feud with equally freakshow large Happy Humphrey. Also Paul Wight auditioning to be the next Mother Goose. (It has the hosts getting into a sort of "Radio DJs cracking themselves up over their own jokes" over it, which might not be to your taste, just so you know it's coming.

Later in the same show/review, three minutes showing that three minutes showing Ruane 'wrestle' at this stage of his life is about two minutes and fifty-seven seconds too long.

And things got worse for the Dungeon, as Hogan revealed that The Zodiac had never been on their side, but in fact, had been sent there by Hogan to spy on them. Exactly when Hogan reformed his friendship after the whole attacked-for-months/tried to take his title thing that Ed Leslie did was never explained. For all we know, Leslie had never turned on Hogan at all, making the whole thing one long dumb con that would probably make Mike Quackenbush shake his head. Freed of his need to be a monster among the Dungeon, Leslie transformed himself anew. Did he return to being Brother Bruti? Perhaps adapt the Butcher name for the cause of good, and take it to an extreme like his most famous ‘Barber’ gimmick, carrying around meat cleavers and tossing hams to fans? Maybe he just went by Ed Leslie?

No. He became, THE BOOTY MAN.

Or, as Hogan insisted on calling him, the BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY BOOTY MAN.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYCIY2mopYQ

Perhaps you could serve some Bootybootybootybootyman with some Yappa Pie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQtUftGqoyg

So yeah. Somehow, Leslie went from a freakshow whose whole gimmick was saying “YES! NO! YES! NO!” to…a guy who shook his rear end. He didn’t even have a lead into it like Billy Gunn did. Sometimes I swear Leslie had a job because he would do just about any gimmick without question or complaint.

But with the Dungeon having lost its Master, and several members, and Hulkamania still running wild, they would need to do something drastic. And after a spat with the Four Horsemen based on then-member Brian Pillman mocking them, Kevin Sullivan and Ric Flair would come to a realization. Apart, they were weaker, but TOGETHER, they could finally, FINALLY succeed. And with the March PPV, known as “Uncensored”, whose gimmick was every match was No-DQ at the least, there was no better time. And so they united, to form...

THE ALLIANCE TO END HULKAMANIA!

Ric Flair! Arn Anderson! Taskmaster Kevin Sullivan! Lex Luger! THEMONSTERMENG! And the Barbarian, who was also part of the Dungeon as I am sure you have completely forgotten! But they would need more, and they would bring it! Wait, where did the Shark go? Ran away from Captain Brody, I guess. NO MATTER! THERE WERE MORE! HULKAMANIA WOULD DIE, AIDED BY THE TERRIBLE MIGHT OF…Z-GANGSTA!

…wait, he looks kinda familiar. Yes, it was Tony “Tiny” Lister again, who had played Zeus (the main villain) in Hogan’s starring vehicle No Holds Barred, and then supposedly went nuts, thought he really was Zeus, and went to the WWF to fight Hogan for real in 1989. Of course, WWF owned the Zeus concept, so they needed a new name. But he would pale to the true horror, the beyond all comprehension, the thing that would make H.P Lovecraft shoot pee out of his butthole in beyond mad insanity…THE ULTIMATE SOLUTION!

Ie bodybuilder Jeep Swanson. What did he have to do with Hogan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB7mHxdHlRY&t=4s

Seriously. Jeep was more connected to Lister, as he was one of the minor characters Lister’s villain beat to death as part of the film’s plot. Also, he would go on to play Bane in the 1997 Batman and Robin film. And since he did, Warner Brothers let the Dungeon film on the Gotham sets when they weren’t using them. Suddenly Tom Hardy’s odd accent doesn’t seem so bad, does it?

Oh yeah, and don't quote me on this, but I think Jeep's original name was, yes, no one realized this was an idea so terrible I need a new word for it like "catassteric" (if it was true), the Final Solution. It might have even been used once in official media somewhere before people realized they were being absolutely insanely stupid and that it was not 2022, so it became the Ultimate Solution. But again, don't quote me.

BUT SO, THE ALLIANCE TO END HULKAMANIA WAS FORMED! And they would do it…IN THE DOOMSDAY STEEL CAGE!

A MULTI STORY TOWER OF DESTRUCTION, MAYHEM, AND PAIN! SURELY THEY WOULD NOT FAIL AGAIN!

Next Post Conclusion: They fail again, and the Alliance ends. And then, eventually, the Dungeon is Doomed.

Oh yeah, one small thing. The Horsemen at this point? Well, there was Flair and Arn, who were in the Alliance. There was Pillman, whose comments had ‘brought them together’. And there was the last member…Chris Benoit.

Keep that detail in mind.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 17, 2022

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

titties posted:

Vince bumped his leg and his leg muscle fell off

Triple H took a step and his quad started flapping around like a towel on a clothesline

Kevin Nash considered a wrestling move and both of his stick-figure legs disintegrated

X JAKK posted:

Sid Justice heard a loud noise and imploded into a singularity

Aaaaahhh memories. :allears:

Seriously, his bones were made out of old loofahs or some poo poo. Poor guy.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

In my mind the big booty daddy is billy “rear end man” gunns grandfather which gave us the rear end boys. A butt family tree

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
I wonder if there's a safety video for trainee wrestlers that just highlights the most horrendous botches to reinforce how important proper move safety is. Brock Lesnar's shooting star press. Owen piledriving Austin. Sid's leg snapping.

Actually they could just show Sid's leg snapping over and over to hammer it home.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
So many stories here now and it's hard to keep track of what's already been shared, and my time as a WWE fan is long behind me, so I think this is my last tale unless this thread unlocks something else in the future.

Vince's OTHER Son - Part One: Dr. F & the Women

His name, is Finlay. And he loves to fight!

David Finlay began wrestling at 16. His father ran a promotion, a wrestler no-showed, and lil Finlay stepped in. He would work his way through the European wrestling scene for the next 20 years, before being picked up by WCW.

I don't really know much about his time in WCW. All I know is this one glorious picture I found on Google.

When WCW folded and was gobbled up by Vince, that included the contracts of most of their talent, Finlay included. He was now 43 years old and apparently hadn't wrestled a WCW show for about a year and wasn't really considered someone WWE would bring back out for any of their Invasion storyline stuff, so instead, he was brought on as a trainer for the next generation of wrestlers. And this is what makes Finlay so drat cool.

Finlay knows how to wrestle. Dude was born into the business and worked his rear end off for decades. Having someone like that being able to train others is a goddamn gift, and one of the smartest things WWE has ever done. All their big names that rose up in the early 2000's were probably trained by Finlay... including the women.

If you would like to see what women's wrestling looked like circa 2001, please watch this video.

Or just look at this gif.

Finlay was training the women how to properly strip down without showing their assholes on live television, and he saw a bit of an issue with that. He decided he was gonna train the women to actually wrestle, and many of the women were on board with that idea. The most famous example would have to be Trish Stratus.

Such an icon, even The Rock looks up to her!

I previously talked about how Lita broke conventions when it came to women in wrestling by actually wrestling. Trish Stratus was those conventions for a long time. She was valet/arm candy, she was in every various state of undress you could show on television (and some you couldn't but still managed to), and she was in all those classic storylines we know and "love" Vince for.

Vince gifs really deserve to be in an art museum. Holy poo poo.

If you didn't watch the above video, it's of Trish and Stacy Kiebler (another conventional female talent, this time coming in from the WCW buyout) having a Bra & Panties Match for the Women's Championship. And it was brought about following a Gravy Bowl Match. If any of this sounds at all arousing, keep in mind it's all accompanied by the lively commentary of Jerry "The Howler Monkey" Lawler, which makes the whole thing feel like you're watching softcore porn with a 10-year-old boy.

Under the guidance of Finlay, Trish actually busted her rear end to become an awesome wrestler. She could have continued to do all the same stuff she was doing, made her money, and left after a couple more years. She could have continued to keep having segments where she made out with Vince, was spanked by Vince, was made to crawl around and bark like a dog by Vince.

Trish chose violence. And we absolutely love her for it.

Trish Stratus' retirement match in 2006.

And the higher-ups at WWE (*cough* Vince *cough*) wanted NONE of this to happen. Finlay was actually told not to do this, and just keep it to simple catfight-style stuff because nobody wanted to see "girls wrestling like guys."

Finlay, also, chose violence. And we absolutely love him for that. This was the tiny little snowball that would continue to roll and grow, and you can see the impact it has had in WWE over the years. The era of "Divas" is gone, now replaced with a proper Women's Division and a real belt to go along with it. They've had women headline shows and even have events (or maybe just one event, I don't know) where the entire card was made up of women-only matches. People actually watch these shows just to see the women's wrestling. The current talent cite people like Lita and Trish Stratus as pioneers in WWE and inspirations, and the two are even in WWE's Hall of Fame. And it can easily be traced back not just to Finlay, but to the women who were willing to say "gently caress You" to Vince and actually wrestle in wrestling.

Next Time: Finlay returns to the ring.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Jamesman posted:

So many stories here now and it's hard to keep track of what's already been shared.

This has not been, though I myself know it. However, you missed the truly best picture of Finlay, probably because you need to know the right search term and it shows up while he was under another name in WCW. Behold, the greatest jacket in wrestling history.

DeadButDelicious posted:

Actually they could just show Sid's leg snapping over and over to hammer it home.

Or the clip of the worst botch I have ever seen, which I am not going to link. It happened on the Indies and involved a moonsault somehow going even more horribly wrong then you would think. The guy survived and recovered, but ho boy, it's bad.

TV Zombie posted:

In my mind the big booty daddy is billy “rear end man” gunns grandfather which gave us the rear end boys. A butt family tree

Not to be that guy, but you're mixing up Scott Steiner (The Big Bad Booty Daddy) with Ed Leslie (The Booty Man). Leslie shook his butt; Steiner was talking about how many women he could get to sleep with him.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 22, 2022

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
This Trish Stratus talk reminds me -- much like (I assume?) most other female preteen/teen wrestling fans, I pretty much liked every female wrestler. Chyna, Luna, Jacqueline, Woman, Sensational Sherri, Lita...I think maybe the only female wrestler I never liked was Stephanie McMahon, because she sucks.

DeadButDelicious posted:

And Droz getting stretchered out (but please no :ohdear: :gonk: ).

edit:

Cornwind Evil posted:

Or the clip of the worst botch I have ever seen, which I am not going to link. It happened on the Indies and involved a moonsault somehow going even more horribly wrong then you would think. The guy survived and recovered, but ho boy, it's bad.

What happened? Feel free to not go into the most excruciating-est of details, but I'm still curious.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

What happened? Feel free to not go into the most excruciating-est of details, but I'm still curious.

All right, if you INSIST.

You see this botch? Picture that, but with a moonsault...with the wrong direction in reverse.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Oh hell no, I don't want to SEE it, I just want to know what happened

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Wrestling Storyline Story Time:

Once upon a time there was a woman named Torrie Wilson. She was not very good at wrestling but she was kind of pretty and she did a Playboy pictorial.

Another woman named Dawn Marie liked the naked pictures and wanted to have sex with Torrie. The problem was that Torrie was straight and not interested in having sex with Dawn Marie.

Dawn Marie decided that the truest path to Torrie's heart was to seduce Torrie's dad. Once Torrie heard from her dad how good Dawn Marie was at having sex maybe she would change her mind.

Unfortunately Dawn Marie was so good at sex that it killed Torrie's dad and Torrie still did not want to have sex with Dawn Marie.

The End

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Sorry. The booty man can be the grand daddy

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

It’s pronounced Booh-Tay

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

Oh hell no, I don't want to SEE it, I just want to know what happened

That is a less disturbing botch used for a visual aid. The worst botch is kind of hard to describe with words. I guess if I had to TRY...you know the fetal position? Imagine trying to do that in reverse...with your neck...via landing after leaping backwards and loving up a backwards flip.

titties posted:

Titties posts a story that features titties.

I will confirm, this is exactly what happened.

titties
May 10, 2012

Cornwind Evil posted:

I will confirm, this is exactly what happened.

It turns out i already posted this story in an old thread and perhaps told it then with better recollection:

titties posted:

Okay so Dawn Marie wanted to bang Torrie Wilson so she married Torrie's dad in an attempt to use their marriage as leverage to coerce Torrie into banging. Unfortunately Dawn Marie was so good at having sex that it murdered Torrie's dad.

This was the first of 2 Torrie Wilson angles that involved otherwise-straight women trying to use a position of power to bang her because she was just that attractive and you can see just how attractive she is because each time there was a Playboy spread.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

YeahTubaMike posted:

And Droz getting stretchered out (but please no :ohdear: :gonk: ).

This is the one I was going to mention. He's been paralyzed from the neck down since then and it happened it like 2000 or so?

I would not advise looking this one up but yeah I hope stuff like that is shown to new trainees about what can really happen if a mistake is made or even if someone just accidentally slips.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Cornwind Evil posted:

That is a less disturbing botch used for a visual aid. The worst botch is kind of hard to describe with words. I guess if I had to TRY...you know the fetal position? Imagine trying to do that in reverse...with your neck...via landing after leaping backwards and loving up a backwards flip.

:stare: That sounds like someone actively trying to snap their spine in a couple of different places.

Elephant Ambush posted:

This is the one I was going to mention. He's been paralyzed from the neck down since then and it happened it like 2000 or so?

I would not advise looking this one up but yeah I hope stuff like that is shown to new trainees about what can really happen if a mistake is made or even if someone just accidentally slips.

It was late 1999. Apparently (according to Wikipedia) he regained some motion in his upper body and arms, but who knows what the definition of mobility is in that case.

I'm glad he doesn't blame D'Lo (edit: apostrophe). Such a tragic situation all around.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 22, 2022

titties
May 10, 2012

Hijo del Perro Aguayo straight-up died after a seemingly minor botch where he just hit the ropes wrong.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So, Cornwind Evil, I have some questions about heels and faces, if you don't mind?

You've said that 'cool heels' are a problem and from your writeups I can kind of see how/why, but like how do you account for the fact though that, like, good villains are generally cool? I mean you mention Star Wars and yeah, while it's important that Vader and the Empire lose, it's also worth noting that Empire merch sells like hotcakes and every kid thought Vader was cool. I mean look at superhero comics, also; generally speaking the good villains are just as popular as their heroes. Look at Venom! Like generally speaking a villain who's just a big scary bad guy but not cool - say, Doomsday - isn't fondly remembered and the storyline involving them isn't really one people celebrate.

Like how can a heel be effective without either just doing cheap heat that gets stale fast, or else by being cool?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I was sure you were going to link the one that went viral of some indy guy managing to shatter both his legs doing some fairly trivial poo poo off the top rope

it depends what you're counting as a botch in that context - Mitsuharu MIsawa (who still has more five-star matches than anyone in history) died from taking a regular suplex, plus the aforementioned Perro Aguayo Jr, where it's just a combination of bad luck and decades of wear and tear, particularly on the neck

but gently caress I had to stop watching live ufc shows when there were like three in a row that all had flippity floppity shinbones happening, I'm not dealing with that poo poo

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Can someone effort post about how Hogan, who was still bitter he had to put the Ultimate Warrior over 167 years earlier at Wrestlemania VI, had him signed with WCW just to beat him at Starcade, in which was arguably the worst match in history?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Vince's OTHER Son - Part Two: The Little Bastard

Finlay made his return to in-ring action in 2005, now 47 years old. That may sound old, especially when you see how other older wrestlers can look in the ring...

And especially when so many wrestlers are dead by 50...

But Finlay was no slouch. It certainly helped that his background was in more grounded, traditional professional wrestling, versus the flashier style and high-flying moves. So this wasn't some guy reliving his glory days, having his corpse paraded around to do the same shtick he did when he was younger. I mean, it probably was the same shtick he did when he was younger, but that shtick is basically "I punch and kick people" and that just ages better than, say, The Road Warriors.

RIP Hawk and Animal

Finlay debuts in WWE.

He also knew how to work, and being a trainer meant he wasn't rusty and had good chemistry with a lot of other wrestlers in the ring. He was supposed to be bad guy, but there was something just so darn likable about this guy coming out and having good matches and beating people up that he actually kind of sucked as a bad guy. How can you hate this face?

There was also another problem. Finlay just wasn't Irish enough.

At least, someone thought that was a problem. He's wearing a shamrock on his singlet, has a pretty great theme song, and had pre-debut vignettes that would remind you just. How. Irish. He is. There's even a little drawing of him as a leprechaun in his entrance video!

MY NAME, IS FINLAY. AND YOU WON'T GET ME LUCKY CHARMS!

But what if... hear me out here... what if, he started beating people up with a shillelagh? And what if we changed his theme music? And what if we had him do a little high-stepping jig? Oh wait, sorry, that last one was for a different Irish wrestler.

HEY WHAT IF HE HAD AN ACTUAL loving LEPRECHAUN?

So now there's this unnamed little person who lives under the goddamn ring and comes out during Finlay's matches to cause a ruckus and attack people like a rabid badger, until Finlay kicks him back into whatever hell dimension he comes from. For a while, this guy was only known as "Little Bastard," until Finlay tries his damnedest to sound threatening while staring down Michael Cole, and shouting.

HIS NAME. IS. HORNSWOGGLE.
(Somehow not the worst thing featured in this video.)

Hornswoggle has been brought up in this thread before, but I don't think it's really been stressed enough that WWE introduced a magical ring imp into their world and we were just supposed to... accept it? I don't know if this was a punishment or just one of Vince's Great Ideas, but they took Hard Irish Badass and felt they needed to refine that gimmick by having this become part of it.

And to the credit of both Finlay and Hornswoggle, they worked their asses off to make this good television. And they kind of succeeded. Seeing Finlay unleash this crazed rear end in a top hat upon his enemies, literally picking him up and using him as a weapon, was more entertaining than it had any right to be. And as a result, Hornswoggle stuck around for a long time and eventually developed into not only his own character, but a sort of legitimate wrestler too. That's not to say most of it was good.

Only some of it was good.

Little people are an endless source of comedy, according to WWE. One of their favorite things to do is dress them up like wrestlers in a form of mockery during feuds, which has been utilized by both good and bad characters over the years. There was a VERY brief window where WWE actually tried to treat them with something resembling dignity, by creating a wrestling division for them, but they called it "WWE Juniors" and years of conditioning their audience to laugh at little people lead to the entire thing coming off like comedy sketches. They would release almost all the talent they hired for the division, with the exception of Dylan Postl, who would go on to play Hornswoggle.

Hard to believe that nobody would take this seriously!

And considering he would then play a feral leprechaun, you can see that they were done trying to consider little people as people. As his character developed, he would "speak" in grunts and snarls, which could only be understood by a select few. He would be smeared with dirt on his face because he lived under the ring and was more of an animal than a human being. He had gotten over by being with Finlay, so now WWE was going to shove him down everyone's throat by inserting him into all kinds of horrible skits and storylines.

...which brings us to Part 3.

Next Time: Putting the "Kennedy" in "Vincent Kennedy McMahon."

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 23, 2022