Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Sleeping Dogs for me is the mission where the Triads say “cops can’t kill people” and me remembering the time where I slammed the face of a triad into a fire and tossed him into a lake inside the trunk of a car.

It’s pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Play posted:

Breath of the Wild, I easily played it to completion on a Switch emulator on my PC.

Seconding this one, together with Saint's Row, Red Faction: Guerrilla, Mad Max and any Just Cause game.

If you like the Ubisoft approach, Assassins Creed (especially Odyssey and the Ezio games) and Watchdogs 2/3 are good options.

Horizon: Zero Dawn is also pretty optimistic, and very good. Haven't played Sekiro, but heard good thing about it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Horizon Zero Dawn is mostly okay, but it's interspersed with audio logs from the time of the apocalypse, and those are just non-stop black hole depressing. It's only in the DLC area that the game figured out it could have audio logs from people living their lives instead of dying horribly.

Filox
Oct 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the rec, folks, I'll be checking them out, if CP2077 1.5 doesn't get me first.

I've got Mad Max, I've twice made it to the point where you meet the mad mechanic who wants to build you a car, picked the first car piece (whatever it was) and I kinda drifted away both times. Does it get better after that point? Maybe it's just me; I'm not very good at vidya game driving.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I say this as a fan of all things Mad Max and have beaten the Mad Max game more than once: it... does not. Not really. If the game doesn't hook you early, it's not likely going to get better for you.

I still get the urge to drive the plains of silence every once in a while and listen to sagacious advice from a post-apocalyptic mystic, but as far as games go, I believe you can find better for your tastes.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Are there any games like Empyrion Galactic Survival where you can build craft and bases, explore space, get into combat, trade, etc that aren't miles wide but a puddle deep?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The X series is both miles wide AND deep

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yeah, X4 is probably the closest match since it's also 1st-person.

I can think of other suggestions like Star Trader:Frontiers but that's getting further and further away from survival/crafting.

Comedy option is Star Citizen. Its got hunger meters and you die if you run too much.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Kerbal Space Program would be this as well? minus the combat and trade, but the space exploration feels are top notch

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I’m going on vacation in soon and need some Switch recommendations. Currently it’s mainly a Tangledeep device. I have also played through Fell Seal, and Mario and Rabbits. I did not like Breath of the Wild.

Any releases from the last couple years? I’m mainly a tactics and traditions roguelikes player.

Im looking at the new Metroid but woof full price.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Naramyth posted:

I’m going on vacation in soon and need some Switch recommendations. Currently it’s mainly a Tangledeep device. I have also played through Fell Seal, and Mario and Rabbits. I did not like Breath of the Wild.

Any releases from the last couple years? I’m mainly a tactics and traditions roguelikes player.

Buy Into the Breach immediately

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Oh whoops.

Yeah I have full cleared Into the Breach on both my PC and Switch.

It’s so good

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Naramyth posted:

Hades is on Switch although others may be able to comment on its performance on that platform. Dragon Quest Builders 2 is good and performs decently.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Metroid Dread is very good and may take a long time to come down in price or get used if you're thinking about getting it. But there's also a whole lot of other side-scrolling metroidvanias to play through if you want one of those, like Hollow Knight (harder, but with more of a story), Steamworld Dig 2, Yoku's Island (pinball), the GBA Castlevania collection, Guacamelee, Blaster Master, The Messenger, or Axiom Verge.

For tactics, there's Steamworld Heist, Valkyria Chronicles, Hard West, XCOM 2, and Chroma Squad. For Roguelikes, there's Crypt of the Necrodancer, Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, and Moonlighter.

And some games unrelated to those that you could probably sink a lot of time into are Shovel Knight, Wonderful 101, Crosscode, and Baba is You.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Metroid Dread is very good and may take a long time to come down in price or get used if you're thinking about getting it. But there's also a whole lot of other side-scrolling metroidvanias to play through if you want one of those, like Hollow Knight (harder, but with more of a story), Steamworld Dig 2, Yoku's Island (pinball), the GBA Castlevania collection, Guacamelee, Blaster Master, The Messenger, or Axiom Verge.

For tactics, there's Steamworld Heist, Valkyria Chronicles, Hard West, XCOM 2, and Chroma Squad. For Roguelikes, there's Crypt of the Necrodancer, Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, and Moonlighter.

And some games unrelated to those that you could probably sink a lot of time into are Shovel Knight, Wonderful 101, Crosscode, and Baba is You.

Oooh, Baba is You. I have that on PC but I should totally get it on switch. I also have been Mekong to play Guacamelee. Corsscode being a not-mega man also calls to me.

I do have hard west but I got mad at the control scheme at the time I was playing it. I haven’t used a controller in a hot minute so I think my brain has reset and I can probably play Nintendo layout again.

Thanks folks!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Naramyth posted:

Oh whoops.

Yeah I have full cleared Into the Breach on both my PC and Switch.

It’s so good
Monster Train.

e: seconding rogue legacy

Splicer fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 18, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Naramyth posted:

Have you played Battle Brothers? I don't know how the port is, but it got ported to Switch a while back and is imo the gold standard tactics game. If I ever dust my Switch off again it will be an immediate buy for me and I've already put 400 hours into it on PC
https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/battle-brothers-a-turn-based-tactical-rpg-switch/

As someone who has put thousands upon thousands of hours into tactical RPGs featuring permadeath in my lifetime, Battle Brothers is the only one where I never reached a point where it felt like I was playing a gameified thing that I had "solved" - I feel like a lot of strategy games drop the 'strategy' once you know the game inside and out and you know how to game its mechanics but that was never the case for me in Battle Brothers - no matter how well you know the game there's never really anything you can do to just chump it all, it always challenges you without being unfair

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 18, 2022

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

I’ve bounced off of Battle Bros like 20 times. :(

I don’t know if it’s the art style or the permanent injuries or what but I just can’t stand the game.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Is there a game that offers the classic CRPG/Isometric RPG experience that is medieval but not fantastical? I basically wanna play a DnD game but without magic and monsters, just with medieval dudes

Edit: on PC

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Kvlt! posted:

Is there a game that offers the classic CRPG/Isometric RPG experience that is medieval but not fantastical? I basically wanna play a DnD game but without magic and monsters, just with medieval dudes

Edit: on PC

I've never played them but have you checked out the Expedition series? There's a few of them now I think, Expedition: Rome being the latest that came out. There's also Expedition: Viking and Expedition: Conquistador.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Beartaco posted:

I've never played them but have you checked out the Expedition series? There's a few of them now I think, Expedition: Rome being the latest that came out. There's also Expedition: Viking and Expedition: Conquistador.

These look pretty good! Now just to choose which one to get. Thank you!

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Thanks for the suggestions! I've actually played all but star citizen but uh that one seems like vaporware.

grate deceiver posted:

Kerbal Space Program would be this as well? minus the combat and trade, but the space exploration feels are top notch

KSP is fun but I suck at math.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The X series is both miles wide AND deep

Played X4 for a bit but bounced of it.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah, X4 is probably the closest match since it's also 1st-person.

I can think of other suggestions like Star Trader:Frontiers but that's getting further and further away from survival/crafting.

Comedy option is Star Citizen. Its got hunger meters and you die if you run too much.

Star Traders:Frontiers is fun but doesn't quite scratch the itch.

Star citizen? Haha. I suppose the lack of space games that hit the specific itch I have is why SC snared so much gamer dough.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The frustrating thing is the other games I can think of that come close to what you're looking for are really flawed for one reason or another. No Man's Sky is the definition of a mile wide and an inch deep, and so is Starbound. You'll probably get a good 10 hours out of both of them before the cracks start showing though.

Alternative suggestions that are good but not quite what you're looking for:
Sunless Skies: Survival/trading/exploration in a space train. Has a really heavy narrative focus, with some great writing if you buy into the setting.
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw I haven't played this yet. The first one was kind of a procgen 2 degrees of freedom Freelancer. The sequel has apparently improved in all aspects and handles more like a traditional 3d space game.
The Long Journey Home Basically an elaborate CYOA with dicerolls and a bunch of mini-games. It's a great exploration game hampered by funky controls.

Please don't take the Star Citizen suggestion seriously :v:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I feel like there should be an industry lobbying group called Citizens for more Good Space Games. I would pay my dues.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

External Organs posted:

I feel like there should be an industry lobbying group called Citizens for more Good Space Games. I would pay my dues.

Gotta have a cool name. Maybe like "Star Citizens"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Gotta have a cool name. Maybe like "Star Citizens"

:dogstare: I've gone into that thread once or twice and found it completely inscrutable.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

External Organs posted:

:dogstare: I've gone into that thread once or twice and found it completely inscrutable.
Very accurate to the game, then.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Since Into the Breach was brought up, can anyone recommend other tactical games for Android or Switch? I've played Final Fantasy Tactics and Front Mission series and those are my favorite. Not a huge fan of Tactics Ogre because it was a bit too clunky for my taste.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

Since Into the Breach was brought up, can anyone recommend other tactical games for Android or Switch? I've played Final Fantasy Tactics and Front Mission series and those are my favorite. Not a huge fan of Tactics Ogre because it was a bit too clunky for my taste.

Have you played XCOM?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Have you played XCOM?

Now that you mention it, I did play 1 way back but not 2. I guess the next question is how are the non pc ports of that?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

Now that you mention it, I did play 1 way back but not 2. I guess the next question is how are the non pc ports of that?

Dunno about switch, but they were made with consoles in mind so it should be good. 2 is great

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Xcom2 on switch is p good, definitely playable but not perfect. It's 5 bucks at the moment so you cant go wrong!!
https://store.2k.com/en/game/buy-xcom-2-pc

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Samopsa posted:

Xcom2 on switch is p good, definitely playable but not perfect. It's 5 bucks at the moment so you cant go wrong!!
https://store.2k.com/en/game/buy-xcom-2-pc

Oh poo poo what a timing, thanks a lot.

Edit: bummer. "Sold out".

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

WaltherFeng posted:

Oh poo poo what a timing, thanks a lot.

Edit: bummer. "Sold out".

it's also available on the official eshop for the same price in most regions!

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

WaltherFeng posted:

I have no idea if it's good, but there's a switch release called Triangle Strategy that's out in just a few weeks that looks very similar to FFT.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Fell Seal is v FFT influenced and a fairly solid game, it's on Switch

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

WaltherFeng posted:

Faeria is on Android. It's a card game mashed up with a hex grid tactics board game. It definitely reminded me of Into the Breach in the sense that every single move matters, and the matches are over fairly quick. I haven't played for a while so I don't know where the game's at these days, but I had a lot of fun.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Good non-RPG wizard games. Action RPGs are okay. I just want to be a wizard going around doing wizard poo poo. I didn't like Magicka very much but the vibe was right.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mages of Mystralia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

SkeletonHero posted:

Good non-RPG wizard games. Action RPGs are okay. I just want to be a wizard going around doing wizard poo poo. I didn't like Magicka very much but the vibe was right.

There's Noita, which is a rogue-lite where you craft wands that range from shooting a magic missile to exploding the world and killing you in the process.

https://i.imgur.com/YWdd7Vp.mp4

Technically a witch, not a wizard.