Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I don't understand why you would move someone's box of tampons away from the storage area near the bathroom and to the bedroom. I would probably be pretty pissy if someone moved my menstrual products into my nightstand because why the gently caress would they go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

that kid sounds like he has some undiagnosed poo poo

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I mean maybe, but the OP is himself an idiot if he thinks not knowing trivia type knowledge like state capitals is a sign of mental slowness rather than lack of exposure to that information.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Everett False posted:

I don't understand why you would move someone's box of tampons away from the storage area near the bathroom and to the bedroom. I would probably be pretty pissy if someone moved my menstrual products into my nightstand because why the gently caress would they go there.

Pretty sure its in the bible somewhere that I, a man, should never in any circumstance be forced to consider the very concept of menstruation.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Grape posted:

I mean maybe, but the OP is himself an idiot if he thinks not knowing trivia type knowledge like state capitals is a sign of mental slowness rather than lack of exposure to that information.

i think its the sum total thing. kid definitely seems like he is delayed compared to other 8 year olds. like thats 3rd grade. maybe he just has a learning disorder that can be addressed. this prospective father does not exactly seems cut out for the job though. i mean gently caress, i don't want kids and this is basically my reasoning why, i know drat well i don't want to deal with this.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Captain Hygiene posted:

Hot off the presses, enjoy the perspective of the future dad who hates his fiancee's kids, maybe we'll learn a little something in his defense!

Don't know how to cope with my (33M) fiancée's (37F) kids

SPORTS. Like, right now.

Also, with the covid shutdowns I'm teaching 2nd graders who missed the last half of their kindergarten and haven't been back to school since. So maybe the kid just needs some remedial work.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for firing my babysitter?

quote:

I have a babysitter who is 17, to look after my kids, triplets (5 months) and my daughter (10), recently I discovered that she has been taking the kids out for walks, but she didn't let me know before doing it, but I didn't ask her not to.

I thought it was obvious not to take the kids out of the house without telling me first unless it is an emergency.

As soon as I found out I called her and asked if it was true and she said yes, and I explained that she should never do that while babysitting unless it was an emergency then explained that she was fired.

But when I explained to my ex (the kids father) he blew up as I asked him to start picking the kids up from school as I couldn't due to my hours, until I could find a new babysitter. He said that it was unfair, and she must have thought that was ok.

I think I might be the rear end in a top hat because I didn't let her know it wasn't ok before hand.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm going to blame this one on having 5mo triplets, Jesus

I mean shes an rear end in a top hat and clearly this was a massive overreaction but she's probably psychotic from managing triplets

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Going for walks in your own neighborhood is generally an offensive and alien concept to most Americans.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Putting three kids in a stroller and puttering them around until they fall asleep seems like the only sensible option.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for refusing to use bleach in the bathroom even though I’m allergic?

LOL this probably isn’t an allergy but rather a sensitivity caused by using straight bleach. You gotta dilute that poo poo. 3 tablespoons of household bleach (5.25-6.25% strength bleach) per gallon of water. Also wear some rubber gloves that cover your forearms.

Invisible Clergy posted:

I had read "it's not like he is pulling her wheel chair around" to communicate that the sister does not use a wheelchair.

AITA for asking my BF not to order seafood when we go out because I’m allergic?

It’s pretty rare for a seafood allergy to be severe enough that the smell alone triggers it. Like all people with such severe allergies that they are incompatible with living in society, OP should go live in the forest separated from humanity.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

WIBTA if I (46f) asked my mom (59f) to reschedule a plastic 🍆 party?

quote:

Edit I am 36f (not 46)

Sorry for the long read.

I want to preface this by saying that while I love my mom and this may seem like a weird thing to do with your mom; it's not so much the potential "weirdness" that makes me unexcited to attend (although that does make waves in my head); it's the fact that she didn't invite me, she just kind of made plans for me? There is also the fact that my fiance (36m) and I already have a very impressive collection of sexy tools for our bedroom lol. Despite these feelings I was still planning on sucking it up and going.

So back in February my mom was planning a "Passion Party" for my friends and her friends and she changed the date because none of my friends could make it. This time around it is scheduled for March 11th (around brunch time) and turns out none of her friends can make it for various reasons. She planned this because she attended one with her friends and I'm assuming it's some kind of arrangement that allows her get free stuff if she hosts a party.

I work as a private nanny and my employers just informed me this morning that I will be getting a paid vacation during the week that the party is scheduled for.

My dilemma stems from the fact that my fiance just so happened the get approved to have a 5 day weekend during this time and we would really like to take the kids on an over night trip somewhere, as we have never done that as a family before. My fiance works insanely hard and has a long commute every day so any time he gets off from work is like a Godsend for our little family.

The timing of this vacation is a genuine coincidence, as I am at the mercy of my employers and they tend to take out of state vacations fairly often.

Would I be the rear end in a top hat if I asked my mom to reschedule the party? Deep down I don't really want to attend for a bunch of different reasons and I guess I'm feeling guilty for asking her to reschedule it because in reality I don't really want to go at all. Btw my friends are also attending because they feel obligated (not because they actually want to come lol).

:yikes:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What, all these people aren't pumped to go to their friend's mom's rubber dick tupperware party?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i think its the sum total thing. kid definitely seems like he is delayed compared to other 8 year olds. like thats 3rd grade. maybe he just has a learning disorder that can be addressed. this prospective father does not exactly seems cut out for the job though. i mean gently caress, i don't want kids and this is basically my reasoning why, i know drat well i don't want to deal with this.

It’s first grade or second grade is they are one of the younger kids in the class. My 8 year old is in 1st grade and missed half of pre-k and did all of kindergarten remote. We are actually getting an ADHD diagnosis for him right now because stuff wasn’t caught due to not being in school, but having a little trouble with spelling and not knowing state capitals is age appropriate for an 8 year old.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Girlfriend of 5 years lied about being in the Navy.

quote:

Since 2017 I've been dating this girl, who when we first started dating told me she was in the Navy. Said she was in intelligence and that she could be called away at any time because of the nature of what she does for them. And me with my limited knowledge of military operations, believed every word she said.

Fast Forward to December of 2021, we wake up and start our day. Cleaning the apartment, Etc. She tells me that she needs to go check her emails for her remote job... and comes back with tears in her eyes. Telling me she got her orders for the navy and that she'd be sent out in just two days time.

Life as i knew it just got flipped on its head. Im Crying, Shes crying. So we start to pack her things. I am helping her as best as i can while also trying to deal with the thought that i wont be seeing my girlfriend for an unknown number of years. We spend the last day that we have together doing things that we would normally be doing. Playing games together, Watching anime. Just spending time with each other before she leaves.

The day she leaves, She gets picked up by an uber. Definitely thought that was weird but hey its 2021 and maybe thats just a normal thing the military does? (What i was thinking at the time). I spent hours with her outside in the middle of December, Waiting for both her ride and for FedEx to take her things.

Fast Forward, about a day from when she leaves. She tells me she made it to her housing in Michigan and tells me that shes only there temporarily. But shes able to spend her off time gaming with me. So im happy to at least have that.

Then, about a month goes by. She tells me shes getting transferred... to her home town. Which i AGAIN thought was weird. But she tells me that they typically try and keep you around where you enlisted to keep things easy. Which i again believed.

This entire time im left on my own, struggling to pay bills and rent by myself because she told me that something got messed up with her navy pay. And again, like a fool i believed her.

And then I ask her if there is a possibility that i can move out there with her. AND SHE AGREES! told me it was a good idea. Tells me i would love it out there and that she just has to file paperwork with the Navy to get me approved. Which, at the time seemed like a godsend. Im STRUGGLING to pay bills and keep myself afloat, having to decide between bills and food.

Things continue normally for a while, We talked almost every night. All the while she is still telling me that she loves me, and that there was progress on my paperwork to move out there. Im selling things, Im taking boxes from work to prepare to move across the ENTIRE country for this girl.

And then one day, i just stop hearing from her. Im texting her like a crazy person, calling, Emailing... everything i can think of. About a week goes by and im in full blown panic mode. so i reach out to her Family. I had not met anyone in her family yet because they all live across the country. Her step mom finally replies about a day later and Tells me that She (My girlfriend) has NEVER been in the navy and that she in fact was living with her mother.

She then tells me that she will finally respond to me in about a week after she found out that i knew she lied... which, you guessed it, I believed. Fast forward to the day shes supposed to respond? nothing. im not really surprised. just heartbroken. I put all my faith in this person and they have taken every opportunity to crush my spirit.

The worst part about this? I Still Love this woman with all my heart. And Im a fool, I know, but i am willing to forgive her. Im willing to look past every lie that she told. Because that's what i feel that love is. I havent told anyone that she met while she was here that she isnt actually in the Navy. I dont want to hurt the people who care for her. I just wish she would tell me why shes doing this.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

therobit posted:

It’s first grade or second grade is they are one of the younger kids in the class. My 8 year old is in 1st grade and missed half of pre-k and did all of kindergarten remote. We are actually getting an ADHD diagnosis for him right now because stuff wasn’t caught due to not being in school, but having a little trouble with spelling and not knowing state capitals is age appropriate for an 8 year old.

shows what i know

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDzWTOaipQc

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

therobit posted:

That is definitely third grade in some places my dude.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

shows what i know
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_grade
Students are usually 8–9 years old.
https://www.ourkids.net/school/canada-grade-levels
An 8 year old today would be in either 2nd or 3rd grade.

I don't see anywhere in the US where even the youngest 8 year old would be in 1st grade unless they were held back
https://schoolwix.com/us
Apparently an older 8 year old could be in 4th grade in Pennsylvania

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 22, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Grape posted:

That is definitely third grade in some places my dude.

yeah wait, i was 13 in 8th grade and my birthday is in april, this math is not adding up.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't expect an average 3rd grader to rattle off state capitals off the top of their head but I would generally expect them to be able to tell states from cities (especially Florida, which every 8 year old boy should recognize as the floppy dong state and not a city in Michigan.) It probably doesn't point to anything particularly serious, but kid definitely needs some extra help that he's not getting and the OP isn't equipped to provide.

edit: on the other hand it's entirely possible the kid has pegged OP as a giant goober and is deliberately winding him up, too

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Baronjutter posted:

Going for walks in your own neighborhood is generally an offensive and alien concept to most Americans.

The first time I saw people literally walking kids around with leashes to stop them from running into traffic I was shocked. Apparently it's quite normal here because of how pedestrian-hostile this country is.

Captain Hygiene posted:

That age gap. No, not that one. :gonk:
Edit: vvv LOL missed the first line, never mind.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 22, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The first time I saw people literally walking kids around with leashes to stop them from running into traffic I was shocked. Apparently it's quite normal here because of how pedestrian-hostile this country is.
When I took my first-born to her 1-year checkup, the pediatrician looked us dead in the eyes, and said "For the next two years, your job is suicide prevention."

It isn't just about car culture. Like, I had my kids on leashes in the mall, because those little buggers are both fast and fearless. And one of our malls had gaps between the balusters that a toddler could squeeze through.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

nobody anywhere on earth wants to sit around while their mom gives a dildo sales pitch

nobody

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

The_Franz posted:

nobody anywhere on earth wants to sit around while their mom gives a dildo sales pitch

nobody

Pounded in the Butt by my unflappable belief that Oedipus wouldn't attend his mother's dildo party

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That age gap. No, not that one. :gonk:

The perfectly normal if coincidental 0 year age gap between her and her fiance, or the also perfectly normal 23 year one between her and her mother :confused:

Or did you literally not read a single line of the story?

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

AnoHito posted:

The perfectly normal if coincidental 0 year age gap between her and her fiance, or the also perfectly normal 23 year one between her and her mother :confused:

59-46 is 13

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Funktastic posted:

59-46 is 13
It's literally the first line of the story

quote:

Edit I am 36f (not 46)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AnoHito posted:

I missed the first line. :sweatdrop:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

Hiring a 17 year old to take care of that many kids (babies) seems pretty dumb.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Arsenic Lupin posted:

When I took my first-born to her 1-year checkup, the pediatrician looked us dead in the eyes, and said "For the next two years, your job is suicide prevention."

It isn't just about car culture. Like, I had my kids on leashes in the mall, because those little buggers are both fast and fearless. And one of our malls had gaps between the balusters that a toddler could squeeze through.

A thing I find absolutely mind-boggling is how many parents in my area will take multiple really little kids out on scooters for walks beside a fairly busy road. I'm not a parent, but giving your toddler a vehicle which lets them easily outpace you seems like a really terrible idea.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Larry Parrish posted:

this mfer has like 3 hours a day he isn't at work, asleep, or commuting of course he's not gonna walk the dog

We rarely go on dates because he doesnt have the time and I feel I have given up quality time together to either give him more homework time or give him time to play video games because he has said before if he doesnt get to play he isnt happy with the balance of work, school, videogames and us time. Most nights he stays up till 12-2 am playing videogames after doing his homework and often uses the ferry time to watch video game youtube videos instead of doing homework.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pookah posted:

A thing I find absolutely mind-boggling is how many parents in my area will take multiple really little kids out on scooters for walks beside a fairly busy road. I'm not a parent, but giving your toddler a vehicle which lets them easily outpace you seems like a really terrible idea.

A lot of kids, I'd say even the majority, are pretty chill and good at following the rules. Growing up we had some extended family who had just incredibly out of control kids, like they would run away down the street into traffic if they could, they'd grab and smash anything they could get their hands on, absolute terrors. I don't know if was lovely parenting or an actual developmental problem with the kids. But either way, the parents just assumed all kids were like that and were always absolutely shocked and judgemental of my parents for letting me and my friends roam around the neighbourhood unsupervised and generally trust us to not destroy things or hurt ourselves.

I see the "parent on foot while child is on scooter/bike" quite often, the kids just have rules like "you can go as fast as you want but always wait at the next cross street" and the kids follow the rule.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The_Franz posted:

nobody

Not even Sterling Archer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaJc10IZavM

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Baronjutter posted:

A lot of kids, I'd say even the majority, are pretty chill and good at following the rules. Growing up we had some extended family who had just incredibly out of control kids, like they would run away down the street into traffic if they could, they'd grab and smash anything they could get their hands on, absolute terrors. I don't know if was lovely parenting or an actual developmental problem with the kids. But either way, the parents just assumed all kids were like that and were always absolutely shocked and judgemental of my parents for letting me and my friends roam around the neighbourhood unsupervised and generally trust us to not destroy things or hurt ourselves.

I see the "parent on foot while child is on scooter/bike" quite often, the kids just have rules like "you can go as fast as you want but always wait at the next cross street" and the kids follow the rule.

Oh I know kids aren't all dummies, but the ones I'm talking about are literally toddler-aged - they can't be more than 2 or 3 years old.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I (30F) just learnt that my BF (30M) and his family have been receiving death threats from the past 10 years, and I'm seriously contemplating ending our relationship

quote:

BF and I have been dating from the past 5 years. We met each other through our business circles since we both come from business families.

Last week, we were talking about getting married and starting a family of our own, and that was when he told me that he has been keeping a secret from me, and wanted me to know the risks before proceeding further.

Apparently, he and his parents have been receiving death threats from the past 10 years. There was even an attempt a few years ago. He told me that it was because of his dad's reputation and business.

He apologized to me for not revealing these details in advance before we even began dating because he didn't want me to run away. He is now telling me because he felt that he owes me that much.

He asked me to seriously think about it, and proceed forward if I'm okay with it, otherwise he would understand.

I spent 5 years of my life with this man, and now he reveals to me what has been going on behind my back. I'm so angry because I'm stuck at crossroads, and seriously contemplating ending our relationship because I can't live my entire life in fear like his family.

I'm mad that he didn't tell me this before.

Even his parents apologized to me for hiding the important stuff from me because I wouldn't freak out.

There were times where he was paranoid, but I shook it off as him being weird for no reason. I should've at least understood when he wouldn't put his foot in certain areas, and give me some stupid reasons and change the topic altogether.

I'm seriously loving pissed, and I don't know what to do.

Advice?

tl;dr :- BF of 5 years just revealed to me that he and his family have been receiving death threats, and now our marriage plans have been possibly ruined

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This example is extreme, but WFH makes for some interesting household breakdown of labor questions. Assuming no children,
-If both people in a relationship don't have a choice about their jobs and only one has to commute, it's probably reasonable for the WFH partner to do more domestic labor to at least partially equalize leisure time.
-if the person in the relationship commuting is in their job for personal satisfaction and could be in a WFH situation, does the WFH partner pick up the slack? Is the "optional" commuting time a hobby in this scenario?
-What if the person commuting is failing to get into a WFH role because of prioritization - eg video games instead of coursework or job applications. Does the WFH partner subsidize their time while they get their poo poo together, or is it "fair" that one partner has more leisure time in this scenario?

e: another scenario comes to mind
-Assuming equalish incomes, what if both partners WFH but one has a role where loving around during the day is fine while the other has to be online and present? Is there an expectation that the partner with the more flexible job would fill in additional domestic labor?

All of this is easy when you don't have a transactional/roommates type of relationship.

I'm not sure I've ever had more than a passing conversation about who needs to do what or officially long term assigning "chores" between us over the course of a multiple decade relationship where many life circumstances have changed for each of us individually and both of us together. It's just never been necessary......we just....get things that need to be done done. If somebody wants something done and doesn't have the time or motivation we just.....ask the other one if they would mind doing it?

We may be doing it wrong. I should probably have a ledger where we assign points to things so we can tell who's being wronged. But.....seems to work for us just fine.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I (30F) just learnt that my BF (30M) and his family have been receiving death threats from the past 10 years, and I'm seriously contemplating ending our relationship

Must suck to be getting married to AJ Soprano.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I was thinking the Tinder Swindler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"So my dad's a music critic. About ten years ago, he was assigned to the burgeoning K-pop scene..."