Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

mobby_6kl posted:

Here's a awful car color chart:

To out myself as a young'un here, what the hell happened with yellow cars in 1974?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m outing myself as someone with a good memory for useless facts.

That graph has come up in this thread before. It’s based on modern traffic incidents in one particular county, where the model year and color are dutifully noted and published.

Basically, the data is noisy as all hell.

Kennel posted:

https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMP-Blog/Exploring-30-years-of-car-colors/ba-p/30746
"Montgomery County, Maryland, publishes all traffic violations since 2013, now totaling more than 780,000 incidents. Besides the location and details of the violations, the table also contains information about the vehicles involved, such as make, model, year and color. It’s car colors that I want to explore here."

There's probably just a handful of 1970s cars on that data set.

They correctly point out both problems (mismatched colors and bad data) on that article.

Kennel posted:

Haha, I looked at the data and all of the yellow 1974 car incidents refer the same case:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What is the appeal of a white car?

it's the cheapest color

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

lord funk posted:

I think China really throws off that statistic. Easily 90% of the cars on the road here are white for some reason.

Space Kablooey posted:

it's the cheapest color
I'm sure it's nothing like US car culture, but among the general pubic seen as reflecting your personality or are they just utilitarian?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

In my case I didn't want to pay 5k banana republic bucks more for just a literal new coat of paint, so I'd say it's utilitarianism on my part.

But I'm also really boring as a person, so

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
You don't want to be driving while black in the States.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

mobby_6kl posted:

White cars are also the standard in the middle east for obvious reasons. Also seems to be the most common color for fleet vehicles in Europe as well probably just because it's the most generic.

Here's a awful car color chart:

I want to make a 'i can't see the camouflage' color joke but I really can't. I think that puke green is cream? gently caress that's terrible.

E:maybe it's grey

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

I want to make a 'i can't see the camouflage' color joke but I really can't. I think that puke green is cream? gently caress that's terrible.

E:maybe it's grey

"Gray" :eng101:

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I have always been aware that, obviously, some people must be buying new cars and therefore can pick colours, but everyone I have ever known have based their colour choice on "it is the colour the car had" because used cars don't come multiple choice.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You can choose a used car basd on color, or at least you could before the carpocalypse.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

mobby_6kl posted:

You can choose a used car basd on color, or at least you could before the carpocalypse.

Well, that still depends on where you buy from and how popular of a model it is. Some recent model year at a dealer? Sure, pick and choose. But most of me and my folks' cars have been from private sellers, and it's often like "hope you're fine with blue, because that's the one that meets your condition/price/timeline criteria at the moment".

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

mobby_6kl posted:

I spent a year looking for the car I wanted. Make-model-year and condition were the only considerations for me.

maybe one day I'll escape Hellworld and buy a new car off the lot.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

mobby_6kl posted:

I bought a new car last year and still could not select the color, thanks to said carpocalypse.

(it's silver)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why the hell wouldn't they use the actual colors? argh

also i'm 1974, the year of no black cars

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
You can just have your car painted, it makes the cops gently caress off too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

I think they're mostly work vans and fleet vehicles

Now, silver and grey (which are the same loving colour) I don't get. Why live your life like that?

Monochromatic paint jobs are often the cheapest ones. It's simply more expensive to make colored paints than paints in the white/gray/black spectrum. It's especially difficult with the expectations people have for modern paint jobs. All those bright color options in the 70s? First of all, they weren't deep and rich and metallic like today's cars -- they kinda looked like glossy house paint. And second, they were all sunbaked and faded within five years. That wasn't a problem at that time because whatever, you just get a new car every three years, and nobody expected paint to last anyway. Today we actually can make paint jobs that last fifteen or twenty years, so that's the expectation, and it's just that much harder to do it with brighter pigments.

The other big factor is just that most people are terminally boring. They like gray cars because they are too scared to make a statement. What if the neighbor laughs at my orange car? And what about my resale values?? If people are reluctant to get brightly colored cars, that means it's going to be harder for me to sell mine eventually, and clearly that's much more important than getting the color I want today! Better get yet another fog-gray Prius and drive around with the headlights off, I wouldn't want to stand out!!

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

My great grandmother would paint her car with literal house paint every few years. Wish I could find a picture of it

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Sagebrush posted:

why the hell wouldn't they use the actual colors? argh

also i'm 1974, the year of no black cars

Looks like they hosed up the data and switched black and yellow that year.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Black cars are the easiest to evade the police in.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Yellow cars georg, who lives in a cave and buys over 10,000 yellow cars in 1974

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Outrail posted:

Looks like they hosed up the data and switched black and yellow that year.

No, a single case involving a single Yellow car just had a lot of incidents logged against it that year:

Kennel posted:

Haha, I looked at the data and all of the yellow 1974 car incidents refer the same case:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Now I'm suspecting crooked cop

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

90s Cringe Rock posted:

You can just have your car painted, it makes the cops gently caress off too.
Gouranga!

Unperson_47 posted:

My great grandmother would paint her car with literal house paint every few years. Wish I could find a picture of it
I don't know if people still do it, but there was definitely a trend in the early 2000s of masking everything off and thinning automotive paint so you could put it on with a paint roller and end up with it looking much better than the peeling clearcoat that was inevitable with what came with your '80s and '90s shitbox.

Platystemon posted:

Black cars are the easiest to evade the police in.
That's racist.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Phosphine posted:

I have always been aware that, obviously, some people must be buying new cars and therefore can pick colours, but everyone I have ever known have based their colour choice on "it is the colour the car had" because used cars don't come multiple choice.

Even when I was looking at new cars (ca. 2014-2015), my experience was that my choices were white, black, grey, or "we have one in blue at the dealership two hours away from here".

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
If you've got 12 minutes to kill, here's a video on car colors over the years.

In my own experience, I have been noticing cars in colors other than black/grey/white, mostly dark reds and blues, but also a lot of the orange/creamsicle color.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think every so often a car manufacturer will throw in a weird colour in order to make that year's model stand out, but black/grey/silver/white remain standards so they are just going to be the overwhelming majority of cars on the road.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
you get $4/hr, 20 days a week, 69 hours minimum

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Something about green cars makes me think of the mid 90's to the mid 2000's. I don't know what causes that association.

Colors come in waves. Like, around 2010 there were tons of cars being sold in various shades of orange and red that weren't the usual. Then suddenly it was all back to the usual white black silver red.

Anyway in the late nineties there was this period where absolutely everything was offered in dark metallic green. It was in no way confined to one make or model. It was never completely dominant but you saw them everywhere.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Yep, had a dark metallic green Focus. I called it the Ficus.

Before that, metallic gray, then silver and my first was a powder blue Pinto.

Since the Ficus: "Sable Mist", which was actually a metallic tan/goldish; medium metallic gray and my latest is a deep metallic blue, which usually looks almost black, but in sunlight looks pretty nice!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had a 90s 200sx (the two-door Sentra type) that was a complete piece of poo poo, but it had a cool motor (or it would have if it was the turbo version) and it was purple

To this day, the only thing I miss about it is the purple

(yes, it was also available in green)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MrUnderbridge posted:

Yep, had a dark metallic green Focus. I called it the Ficus.

The first gen Focus hatchback is one off those cars that, in my mind, have a default color, that dark-ish teal color it had. I can't even explain why specifically the Focus, we never had one, and while we did have other cars in other colors, it's not like I think "Alfa Romeo 156 = Red" by default

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I like how old cars from the 70s look now, rusted, paint faded to an washed out mess, every car should look like that

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Humble Bundles take a minimum of 30% and let you distribute your donation to charity and the publisher of the products you're buying. But 30% would look bad on a graph, so you get things like:

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Does Humble bundle have a maximum portion you can actually give them? If not, then it just reflects that they're on different scales. I.e. the Humble slider can go all the way up to 25, while the others are capped at 17.50

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

El Fideo posted:

Does Humble bundle have a maximum portion you can actually give them? If not, then it just reflects that they're on different scales. I.e. the Humble slider can go all the way up to 25, while the others are capped at 17.50

They blocked out the bottom quarter on the one slider, and they should block out the top quarter on the other two. Having different scales makes it misleading in an unnecessary way.

Edit: And the gray part isn't big enough. I thought that at first but double guessed myself.

Dylan16807 has a new favorite as of 01:57 on Feb 28, 2022

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The CDC is bad at this. From https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/burden.html:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

What's bad about this? Most of the deaths are old people. Other measures are distributed more evenly in the population.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
104% dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Count Roland posted:

What's bad about this? Most of the deaths are old people. Other measures are distributed more evenly in the population.

The number for pediatric deaths should actually be about 0.1%, instead of 4%, and that would also make the percentages add up to ~100% instead of 104%. It's also just wrong that the 0-17 deaths % is higher than the hospitalization %.