Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

It's pretty incredible how much the West has strung Ukraine along and is now leaving them out to dry. We're like the guy who encourages his buddy to pick a fight and then walks away when it looks like things are getting rough.

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1404512788966514689

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/StewartMcDonald/status/1496029993167687680

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Which on the one hand, good.

On the other, lol.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Musk Man refuses to acknowledge Cardi B's correct opinion on this issue. His silence is deafening!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/lapatina_/status/1496094332646010880

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

HiroProtagonist posted:

What? Where would you get this idea??

The 1991 referendum showed overwhelming support for the USSR continuing, and if anything, force was what overruled the citizenry's desires. loving Time magazine even bragged about how the west subverted and then overthrew the USSR with their pal Yeltsin. But Gorby can still eat poo poo too.

Deng was probably right about Gorbachev, and he only got into position because every other alternative was dropping dead. Yeltsin was actively on the other side.

But yeah, the politics of Ukraine haven’t change that much even if the shape of the electorate has (for obvious reasons).

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Man Musk posted:

They're nukes, mate. The ultimate trump card of sovereignty. There exists no normative rules on this Earth. Got to use them.

:byewhore:

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Why do we need to "stop" Putin from doing any of these things?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

My two year old just stopped my hand and told me that the correct spelling is Kyiv.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Why do we need to "stop" Putin from doing any of these things?

We don't, the issues of the slavs are none of the business of the US.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lmao good ol’ Esha, always keeping her eye on the ball

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

love too prove my point using a *checks notes* 31 year-old poll

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Sinteres posted:

I don't have it anymore, but when I was arguing with D&D posters about all this a couple weeks back and was proving that Western leaders lied about NATO expansion I saw a quote about Bush giving the okay to hold the Soviet Union together by force. Obviously Yeltsin did an end run around Gorbachev and Gorbachev didn't do anything about it, but Bush was definitely on Gorbachev's side. It's not the conventional wisdom today, but a lot of American officials were actually dismayed by the collapse of the Soviet Union.

I'm not finding anything but quotes from Bush about promising to not escalate or advance any NATO forces, nothing about green lighting the use of force being used to hold together the USSR.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Sinteres posted:

My two year old just stopped my hand and told me that the correct spelling is Kyiv.

Love doing pronoun discourse for polities

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

:hai:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol jesus christ

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Polo-Rican posted:

love too prove my point using a *checks notes* 31 year-old poll

The Soviet Union had already collapsed at that point and Ukraine has already declared independence, so it was basically a rubber stamp vote.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Cardi B as always

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

given that

- russia sucks
- ukraine sucks
- USA sucks
- NATO sucks
- imperialism sucks
- capitalism sucks
- right-wingers suck

I propose that we give Donbas to North Korea and call it a day

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

HiroProtagonist posted:

I'm not finding anything but quotes from Bush about promising to not escalate or advance any NATO forces, nothing about green lighting the use of force being used to hold together the USSR.

I looked quickly and didn't find it again myself, but the key point I remember is Bush saying it didn't include the Baltics because domestically that would be a problem for him. I can just drop it since I can't find it again atm though.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

state department: russian agents hired the joker to gas people then swap them with crisis actor bodies in a triple false flag, written by jj and m night. were sending kamala to investigate a suspicious absence of kindergartners during school hours

me: lol. lmao

trump thread person: why did you vote for putin, you imbecile. petliurite is a slur

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

PhilippAchtel posted:

It's pretty incredible how much the West has strung Ukraine along and is now leaving them out to dry. We're like the guy who encourages his buddy to pick a fight and then walks away when it looks like things are getting rough.

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1404512788966514689

#MAP?

they have to become mods to join NATO now?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

im also divesting and boycotting russia in solidarity by buying steam keys from argentina instead

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

#MAP?

lmao

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sinteres posted:

Ukraine-kanda Forever!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/tripgabriel/status/1495884782043119616?t=sFrpPwJEzB86D1TttNViYw&s=19

Libs gotta lib

Same dude had a meltdown last week when krugman said inflation is being caused by greed

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1496174312633556995

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

my engine is incredibly unimportant to the functioning of my car, except for the whole energy thing

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

spacemang_spliff posted:

#MAP?

#map is something else

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

"Uhhhh why does it seem like everything from my can goods to these cars suddenly going up in price?"

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

:psyduck:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Fly Molo posted:

some dipshit liberals (no matter where they post) love their nazis, love their NED and atlantic council, they just didn't like trump because he wasn't jingoistic enough to satisfy their thirst for blood

trump bad here but trump extremely good there is the essence of the liberal foreign policy paradigm

man where could this Putin guy have come from??

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

https://twitter.com/tripgabriel/status/1495884782043119616?t=sFrpPwJEzB86D1TttNViYw&s=19

Libs gotta lib

Same dude had a meltdown last week when krugman said inflation is being caused by greed

yeah they're the world's top grain exporter. you know, food?

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

e: nvm, i'm way late

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Libs gotta lib

quote:

On Energy, ‘All of the Above’ Is Working
Jason Furman and James Stock
Politico Magazine
May 29, 2014

It may come as a surprise, but the world leader in combined oil and natural gas production last
year was not Saudi Arabia, despite its vast reserves. Nor was it Russia with its natural gas giant
Gazprom. Rather, for the third year in a row, these countries were surpassed by the United
States.

incredibly unimportant

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I always thought russia had a pretty decent supply of natural resources but was surprised to learn that there is maybe a third of the world's unmined gold in russia. (Estimated)

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Libs gotta lib

Russia is completely irrelevant except for the thing which powers all the other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

BREAKING: random musician says he "hasn't been following" ukraine news, "doesnt really give a poo poo" either way, he says.