Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

10 feet apart? I know Putin isn't as big and manly as some authoritarians like to portray him, but I thought he was taller than three feet, at least. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

steinrokkan posted:

What's the point of this discussion, even if every Ukrainian was a secret nuclear scientist, it would take them years to even get the infrastructure to start developing nuclear weapons ready.
Yeah, might as well worry about Swedish nuclear weapons.

Mellow Seas posted:

10 feet apart? I know Putin isn't as big and manly as some authoritarians like to portray him, but I thought he was taller than three feet, at least. :v:
I pegged him at four, but yeah, definitely more than 10. Or Russian feet are significantly larger.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

What's the point of this discussion, even if every Ukrainian was a secret nuclear scientist, it would take them years to even get the infrastructure to start developing nuclear weapons ready.

And of course they’d be in violation of the NPT, which would mean crippling sanctions and possibly a new casus belli for Russia.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Not really new insofar as they're actively trying to use that as a reason.

Conversely, zielenski just brought it up recently in the context of 'we gave up the world's 3rd largest nuclear arsenal in exchange for security guarantees'

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

""
EU ministers unanimously agree package of sanctions on Russia says French FM Jean-Yves Le Drian
""

This is encouraging

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Biden going live shortly to talk about the situation:
https://twitter.com/JaneLytv/status/1496183279216906240?s=20&t=i1TjKHT28CKkfwFZCChNVg

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

""
EU ministers unanimously agree package of sanctions on Russia says French FM Jean-Yves Le Drian
""

That’s a start. Late, embarrassing, but a start. Hopefully I don’t have to be genuinely ashamed by this being just the end of it (I assume that the Duma + LDNR package is just for the recognition, not for further aggression to come).

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Thanks for the link! I'll be interested to see what he says.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I think nuclear Ukraine may be partly a troll about Iraqi WMDs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, might as well worry about Swedish nuclear weapons.

Cluster munitions dropping 350 kg of open surstromming cans onto the cities.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

cinci zoo sniper posted:

We don't even joke about such things.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

What's his account

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I'm not sure what specifically I want Biden to say here. Like, annexing a third of a nominal ally is very bad but he's not going to say we're invading so what is going to just ask putin nicely to leave or we'll continue to criticize and fine your staff?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

What's his account

To be fair, this opinion that he's ascribing to the Russophone eastern pop is actually something I'd hear the aforementioned drunk villagers talking about, at least 20 years ago. It's not from nothing

E: obviously its still incorrect, but its like saying "the american south believes [insert insane KKK thing here]. Its a stupid and minority belief but its not just pulled out of nowhere

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Millions dead due to Vladimir Lenin's invention, Nazi collusion

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1496183250728935428

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Millions dead due to Vladimir Lenin's invention, Nazi collusion

The Ukrainian homonazis attacking Russia in a pincer movement from both sides of the ideological spectrum.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

all my warplans keep getting leaked for clout! help!

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

And Crimea units might just have a big white slash.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Morrow posted:

The Ukrainian homonazis attacking Russia in a pincer movement from both sides of the ideological spectrum.

Is this the famous horseshoe theory that I keep hearing about?

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

I think that's exactly it. I don't think Russia legitimately thinks that Ukraine presents a nuclear threat but they do like to point out Western hypocrisy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Charliegrs posted:

I think that's exactly it. I don't think Russia legitimately thinks that Ukraine presents a nuclear threat but they do like to point out Western hypocrisy.

That was 20 years and 4 presidents ago

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

I think it's also a defense of breaking the Budapest Memorandum. 'We didn't violate it, they did!'

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

And Crimea units might just have a big white slash.

we're sending the ones with a big 'ol dick drawn on 'em to Chisinau, just for kicks

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

To be fair, this opinion that he's ascribing to the Russophone eastern pop is actually something I'd hear the aforementioned drunk villagers talking about, at least 20 years ago. It's not from nothing

E: obviously its still incorrect, but its like saying "the american south believes [insert insane KKK thing here]. Its a stupid and minority belief but its not just pulled out of nowhere

Basically going back to USSR Moscow wants to connect anyone wanting Ukrainian independence with the weirdos in Lviv who love their waffen SS grandpas[1]. Meanwhile Zelensky is of course a grandson of a WW2 RKKA vet whose brothers all died in the Shoa, which makes it ultra gross.

[1] Morons trying to rehabilitate Bandera doesn't help things.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

to be fair, pretty sure that decision is why so many people assume the US is trying to get into this war, despite Biden explicitly saying the US military will not be involved.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

No it was only 20 years ago and 1 president ago (in Russia) :smuggo:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

""
""
Good. Good? Not sure what's the scale of sanctions.

steinrokkan posted:

Not in Russia

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Really though, if the US hadn't pressured them to stop their weapons program, they'd have finished their first bomb in 1965-66. I feel like that's an aspect that's kind of ignored in the discussion of NATO/the US in Europe, that you'd have a bunch of countries with the knowledge base and economy to actually pursue and complete a nuclear weapons program quite rapidly, bereft of a nuclear umbrella.

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm not sure what specifically I want Biden to say here. Like, annexing a third of a nominal ally is very bad but he's not going to say we're invading so what is going to just ask putin nicely to leave or we'll continue to criticize and fine your staff?
I feel like it's a stretch to call Ukraine a nominal ally.

steinrokkan posted:

To be fair, the kind of mentality that made the US do that is still quite mainstream among our politicians.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Also its hard to past tense the iraq war when we still have thousands of soldiers and lots of equipment hanging out over there. They'll find that VX gas yet

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

steinrokkan posted:

Check Putin's speech on Monday. The Soviet Union collapsing is like yesterday.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That’s a start. Late, embarrassing, but a start. Hopefully I don’t have to be genuinely ashamed by this being just the end of it (I assume that the Duma + LDNR package is just for the recognition, not for further aggression to come).

https://twitter.com/jhainesyoung/status/1496174480762318854

Looks like there’s agreement to further escalate sanctions proportionally to Russia’s actions. I wonder what’s the threshold for the next step, and what’s the next sanction level like.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like it's a stretch to call Ukraine a nominal ally.

To be fair, the kind of mentality that made the US do that is still quite mainstream among our politicians.

Not enemy? Occasional EU applicant? Country we signed an Budapest agreement to guarantee the territorial integrity of?

idk dude like i said I'm biased but it seems like UKR is something to the US, or at least I hope so?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Guessing it's:

"This is bad. This is not good. Putin should undo this. We will take serious measures*"

* not so serious

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

Not enemy? Occasional EU applicant? Country we signed an Budapest agreement to guarantee the territorial integrity of?

idk dude like i said I'm biased but it seems like UKR is something to the US, or at least I hope so?

'Partner' is the term. Someone you really really don't want bad things to happen to but also don't have binding defence commitments with.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Ola posted:

Guessing it's:

"This is bad. This is not good. Putin should undo this. We will take serious measures*"

* not so serious

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1496143838402035712?s=20&t=i1TjKHT28CKkfwFZCChNVg

Could be a preview.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GABA ghoul posted:

I think it's more riffing on Lukashenko's recent remarks about bringing back nuclear and 'supernuclear' weapons in Belarus.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Is there anything they produce that Russia can't get from China? A legitimate question.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Alchenar posted:

'Partner' is the term. Someone you really really don't want bad things to happen to but also don't have binding defence commitments with.

OK thanks. I'm not always the best at expressing myself, especially with specific language like diplomatic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
C'mon Joe, let's see Google, Microsoft, Apple, and Amazon banned from Russia. They can still use Facebook.