Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Completionism and achievement hunting are actively detrimental to enjoying games, and yet so many gamers trick themselves into those traps games after game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
like i know online and gamefaqs, for good reason, has kind of killed the old style of hyper-cryptic design that relied on word-of-mouth and magazine articles, but i can't consider hearing about someone else playing a game and encountering poo poo that you never even found in your playthrough anything but "dang, that's cool as hell".

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Literally all I'm saying is that in a game that you say should be played multiple times because getting 100% in one go is tedious and annoying shouldn't have the option to try and get 100% in one go because that only serves to bother people who need to complete things or else it affects how they enjoy the game.

Why is this such a big point of contention?

FWIW, and not trying to dog pile, I don't think they ever intended someone to get 100% on one playthrough because there's literally a big branching path with two sides to the plot and two perspectives on the conflict for like 50% of the game. Not to mention a TON of content that depends on earlier choices which I think is there so that as you go through the game again you discover more things to do. I honestly don't think they intended anyone to really go for 100% on one playthrough, especially considering the final percentage points needed are the super end game dungeon bosses (though they do have a neat little story for them as well), but sorta provided the option with enough side quests if you do everything a really particular way.

It's tedious because it's not really intended as the main way to engage with the game, but there's a subset of people who lock onto the ability to do it but it's a pain as the intended way to play by the developer then die on the hill. I dunno, it's just always seemed sorta weird, and I'm not trying to say that's what you're saying or anything.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

As I said I only find it a problem in like, 70-100 hour RPGs specifically, I gotta like a RPG a real lot to replay such a long playthrough.

It could also be that I'm old, kid-me had over 1000 hours on Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban for the GBA, a game you can easily 100% in 2 playthroughs.

And yeah that'd be way more annoying. X-2 is incredibly short if you're just beelining stuff since anything other than the plot is strictly optional

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Feels Villeneuve posted:

like i know online and gamefaqs, for good reason, has kind of killed the old style of hyper-cryptic design that relied on word-of-mouth and magazine articles, but i can't consider hearing about someone else playing a game and encountering poo poo that you never even found in your playthrough anything but "dang, that's cool as hell".

yeah this was one of the best parts about playing disco elysium

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
percentage should be something shown at the end of your run as an evolution of how you played, or a teaser to get you to play again imo

this is more Metroidvania stuff but iirc the Metroid games only show it at the very end and Hollow Knight shows it right before the final boss which is fine

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Snooze Cruise posted:

yeah this was one of the best parts about playing disco elysium

i replayed Prey 2017 (FPSRPG, i guess) and found an area of the ship that is 100% optional, out of the way, and I had never been to on any of my previous runs and I was like "dang this owns"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The worst part about FFX-2 percentage system is that if you skipped a cutscene you didn't get its points

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

cheetah7071 posted:

The worst part about FFX-2 percentage system is that if you skipped a cutscene you didn't get its points

Lmao owned

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Elvis_Maximus posted:

It's tedious because it's not really intended as the main way to engage with the game, but there's a subset of people who lock onto the ability to do it but it's a pain as the intended way to play by the developer then die on the hill. I dunno, it's just always seemed sorta weird, and I'm not trying to say that's what you're saying or anything.

Yes. That's why I think it shouldn't be an option to begin with. We are agreeing here. I agree that the game should be played multiple times, we aren't even on opposite sides here. I think that FOMO leads to people having a worse time with the game because they feel like they have to engage in the tedious way in order to complete everything when it is actively detrimental to enjoying the game.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It is an incredibly normal occurrence for someone to find out that they've messed up something and unknowingly locked themselves out of content, regardless of how small, and it's a design that doesn't make sense for a game that wants the player to play it multiple times anyway and isn't trying to monetize anything beyond the initial game purchase.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

if you don't watch the cutscene you don't deserve those points

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

this is a plus

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

cheetah7071 posted:

using eye tracking to make sure players actively lead every lore file to earn its percentage points

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think people who get really anxious about "missing content" should chill out
yeah thanks for the advice, nobody with a problem has ever heard "maybe you should try not having the problem!" before

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

cheetah7071 posted:

They should have made it so you lose points for skipping any dialog, not just Maechen's.

Edit: It's even better because FFX-2 was the first FF with cutscene skip.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

cheetah7071 posted:

Good

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

using eye tracking to make sure players actively lead every lore file to earn its percentage points

Make the hand gesture and yell "Blitzball!" to receive completion points citizen

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

cant believe I can't get back into candlekeep to turn in this quest to an npc who would have given me 50xp for giving an antidote to a cow

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Amppelix posted:

yeah thanks for the advice, nobody with a problem has ever heard "maybe you should try not having the problem!" before

Yeah I imagine just chilling out about things could help you a lot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Amppelix posted:

adjusting your way of thinking about what "missing content" is, is a concrete thing players can do.

i remember when Dishonored was out and people were posting poo poo like "i am saving and reloading every time i get spotted and for some reason i am not enjoying the game, help", and had to be told to stop constantly saving and reloading and to just play the dang game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Put them in FFXIV if they're not already

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

adjusting your way of thinking about what "missing content" is, is a concrete thing players can do.

i remember when Dishonored was out and people were posting poo poo like "i am saving and reloading every time i get spotted and for some reason i am not enjoying the game, help", and had to be told to stop constantly saving and reloading and to just play the dang game

No Ghost trophy for you.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

drat, you did the joke way better than me :eyepop:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's almost like this is a thing, that happens, that isn't so easy to just "turn off" or "change" for a variety of reasons.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

i like this

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

FirstAidKite posted:

It's almost like this is a thing, that happens, that isn't so easy to just "turn off" or "change" for a variety of reasons.
I think people with this extremely niche and demanding playstyle should learn to cope, frankly. Not every game is going to be designed to their exact tastes.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, it's hard, but it's pretty much the best solution to that. Constantly worrying about things like that just burns out your brain, and you have to reign in your brain if it's the problem solving type. Source: someone with massive anxiety issues RN.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FirstAidKite posted:

changing the view one takes of things can be very helpful. perhaps gamers should take inspiration from classical Stoic philosophy and take satisfaction in the fun experiences they had with a game, rather than being obsessed with the desires of the experiences they didn't have.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Feels Villeneuve posted:

changing the view one takes of things can be very helpful. perhaps gamers should take inspiration from classical Stoic philosophy and take satisfaction in the fun experiences they had with a game, rather than being obsessed with the desires of the experiences they didn't have.

i am going to punch you

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In Pillars of Eternity II there's a quest where you can free an imprisoned dragon. If you let them go then hours later they will dispatch the final boss for you. The only other fight in the climax is some faction you pissed off.

The final boss is the only NPC there who can drop any info about the final dungeon you're in. Without him around there is big chunk of context and flavor missing.

Thats probably the most dire case of an important part of the game being missable. There should have been an option to sic the dragon on him or take him out yourself.

Imagine if there was no fight with Sephiroth, because that guy you beat at squats 30 hours ago kills him for standing in his way so he could have a rematch with you.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 22, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

i am going to punch you
i have fomo because you arent punching me too

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i am willing to punch everyone in this thread, it will increase my unarmed stat

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah sometimes you can do this and have more fun with stuff but there's also plenty of situations where the human brain is a stupid piece of poo poo and can't get over something that clearly, logically, is not a problem at all and it just ruins something for you

like I can handle games with time limits perfectly, in fact i love time limitation mechanics, but there's a pretty large section of humanity for which any kind of time pressure, no matter how slight, in a video game is an instant turn-off no matter how much you can argue for how it improves the game or how you can mitigate it or how it literally doesn't even come into play actually.

and the "just get over it" response is just tiring to see in that context.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In Pillars of Eternity II there's a quest where you can free an imprisoned dragon. If you let them go then hours later they will dispatch the final boss for you. The only other fight in the climax is some faction you pissed off.

The final boss is the only NPC there who can drop any info about the final dungeon you're in. Without him around there is big chunk of context and flavor missing.

Thats probably the most dire case of an important part of the game being missable. There should have been an option to sic the dragon on him or take him out yourself.

I had no idea about this. Also I imagine most folks freed the dragon, I know I did. What a raw deal, guess I'll have to kill it in my next run.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Amppelix posted:

yeah sometimes you can do this and have more fun with stuff but there's also plenty of situations where the human brain is a stupid piece of poo poo and can't get over something that clearly, logically, is not a problem at all and it just ruins something for you

like I can handle games with time limits perfectly, in fact i love time limitation mechanics, but there's a pretty large section of humanity for which any kind of time pressure, no matter how slight, in a video game is an instant turn-off no matter how much you can argue for how it improves the game or how you can mitigate it or how it literally doesn't even come into play actually.

and the "just get over it" response is just tiring to see in that context.

if you hate time limits, and want to play a game with time limits, you have two real options - a) try to challenge your preconceptions and see if you can find the enjoyable aspect of time pressure, or b) don't play games with time pressure*

i mean, everyone has tastes and neither option is more valid than the other - i don't play a lot of games because i'm wired the wrong way to enjoy them (like RTSes) but deliberately going out of your comfort zone can be rewarding. i've definitely had fun times with games and mechanics that i was sure i innately disliked!

*or c) play the game and complain constantly online

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Imagine if there was no fight with Sephiroth, because that guy you beat at squats 30 hours ago kills him for standing in his way so he could have a rematch with you.

yeah it owns op

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Every game ever made should be tailored exclusively to my wants and particular quirks and the rest of you can just deal with it because I should never, under any circumstances, be made to feel the least bit uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My cool dragon friend from hours ago came back and helped me. What a letdown