Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
it looks like the Chevy version of the Mach E. The ChevEtte!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MrLogan posted:

It's been a few decades since Ferrari made good looking cars. They still sell even if they are ugly.

Honestly, I'll never be able to afford one but it's still a little sad they look like poo poo these days.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

There's butt. It's fine but we should have banned cheap looking plastics on cars decades ago.

https://twitter.com/laffey_chino07/status/1495915641211084802?t=CI3eoFNtZv7ytYUxVwdQKg&s=19

cool RX-7

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Maybe it’s just the lighting and paint color but the hood / fender gap looks really big, especially at the top of the wheel arch. I would have thought they would have disguised it in a body line like Audi has done.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

MrLogan posted:

It's been a few decades since Ferrari made good looking cars. They still sell even if they are ugly.

Tish and pish, cf. the 296GTB

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

got off on a technicality posted:

Tish and pish, cf. the 296GTB

OK I'm listening....

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If it has wheel arch treatment, it’s an easy qualifier for being a “light truck” or whatever in the US so you don’t have to give a poo poo about emissions. Which is important since I assume Ferrari wants to sell boats of these.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

If it has wheel arch treatment, it’s an easy qualifier for being a “light truck” or whatever in the US so you don’t have to give a poo poo about emissions. Which is important since I assume Ferrari wants to sell boats of these.

Not a thing in the US. The dividing line is 8,500lb GVWR which a Ferrari will never touch.

The PT cruiser is is in the SUV EPA class. The Rolls Royce Cullinan is classified as a mid-sized station wagon and this likely will be too.

The Nissan Titan tried to stay under the 8,500lb GVWR mark and that resulted in top trim trucks having a hilarious ~1,100lb payload capacity because of their ridiculous curb weight. That's passengers + cargo.

A Jeep Grand Cherokee is early 2,000lbs.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 22, 2022

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Powershift posted:

Not a thing in the US. The dividing line is 8,500lb GVWR which a Ferrari will never touch.

The PT cruiser is is in the SUV EPA class. The Rolls Royce Cullinan is classified as a mid-sized station wagon and this likely will be too.

How is a PT cruiser an SUV? It's GVWR is nowhere near 8,000 lbs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

it's based on ride height

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

8,500lbs is the point at which vehicles no longer have to be rated for EPA fuel economy, although they still have emissions standards and restrictions. It actually changed in 2011 so the limit for SUVs is 10,000lb gvwr, and pickups need a 71" bed to qualify which is why the Titan stayed under 8,500lbs.

The SUV class is still anything under that. Manufacturers choose which class their vehicle is in, i'm not sure how it's determined beyond interior + cargo volume for the "compact/midsize/large" distinction.

for example, the BMW M3 is a compact. The Bentley Continental GT is a subcompact.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 22, 2022

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Ranger Raptor coming to the US.

https://twitter.com/jimfarley98/status/1495876695928324096?s=21

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

400hp(likely in us spec), locking diffs front and rear, and a real transfer case with low range. 4 link rear with a watt's link

Should be awesome. Probably $50k base for the raptor. probably be 5 years before you see one for less than that.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Gonna anticipate seeing them go for 80k just like base model Broncos are right now.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Tenchrono posted:

Gonna anticipate seeing them go for 80k just like base model Broncos are right now.

Could buying a Ranger Raptor for $80K and a regular Bronco for $80K end up being cheaper than buying a Bronco Raptor?

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Ill believe it when someone takes a pic of one on the streets with actual plates. Didnt they say the same thing about the last gen Raptor Ranger?

Also just want to throw out that any mid size truck that is due for a refresh soon that is NOT coming out with at least some form of hybrid powerplant or BEV is loving stupid and lazy.
Nissan gets a pass on the Frontier. I feel like the world just didnt want them to fail the class after 15+ years and allowed them to turn in what they did just so they can say they tried and be done with it.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 22, 2022

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Apparently if you want an AlfaRomeo they're available.

https://jalopnik.com/even-with-the-new-car-supply-shortage-no-one-wants-an-a-1848575002

quote:

Alfa Romeos sold in January went for more than $3,400 below MSRP on average — an industry record for the month.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I feel like the first comment on the article summed up my experience pretty good

quote:

"I think this is more a recognition that their vehicles are overpriced.
A Stelvio is $3k more expensive than a Q5 in base form, doesn’t have AWD, and doesn’t even have a power driver’s seat. It’s got more power, but the sort of person who buys a base luxury crossover likely doesn’t care and would rather have AWD. $3400 reduction brings it more in line with the direct competition.

I remember building out a Stelvio Q4 the way I would want one and going "loving how much!?!?!"
Its also borderline impossible to find one where I am so I just gave up and continue to jack off to my Porsche Macan GTS dream build :(

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 22, 2022

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean I have no aversion to manual seats but the idea that something pitched as a "luxury" vehicle in 2022 wouldn't automatically have both front seats be power-adjust with memory settings is mind-boggling. That kind of thing was common in luxury cars 20 years ago.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, why wouldn't somebody want a higher power, RWD stripper model? :confused:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean I have no aversion to manual seats but the idea that something pitched as a "luxury" vehicle in 2022 wouldn't automatically have both front seats be power-adjust with memory settings is mind-boggling. That kind of thing was common in luxury cars 20 years ago.

I usually use my old E39 as a baseline and that had memory seats, auto-levelling xenon headlights and automatic wipers. Not to mention a big honkin' V8 with gobs of torque. If a modern luxury car can't match that, is it luxury?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tenchrono posted:

Ford is cracking down on mark-ups and flipping with the new lightning. It would be interesting if that spreads to other models.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

I tried last year when they announced some great lease deals, and even though the deals were published on Alfa's website, and dealer lots were stacked with Giulias, every dealer within a few hundred miles said they couldn't offer the manufacturer's pricing or leases. I'm not surprised they don't move cars.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Powershift posted:

Ford is cracking down on mark-ups and flipping with the new lightning. It would be interesting if that spreads to other models.

It will be interesting to see if it sticks with the Lightning.

Because they basically said the same thing for the Bronco and then ends up watering down any rules or enforcement.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

BraveUlysses posted:

it's based on ride height

I think it's based on having a flat load floor, not ride height.

Powershift posted:

8,500lbs is the point at which vehicles no longer have to be rated for EPA fuel economy, although they still have emissions standards and restrictions. It actually changed in 2011 so the limit for SUVs is 10,000lb gvwr, and pickups need a 71" bed to qualify which is why the Titan stayed under 8,500lbs.

The SUV class is still anything under that. Manufacturers choose which class their vehicle is in, i'm not sure how it's determined beyond interior + cargo volume for the "compact/midsize/large" distinction.

for example, the BMW M3 is a compact. The Bentley Continental GT is a subcompact.

The EPA classifies size based on interior volume, which is why the Bentley is a subcompact while the smaller and lighter BMW is a compact.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

I think it's based on having a flat load floor, not ride height.

The EPA classifies size based on interior volume, which is why the Bentley is a subcompact while the smaller and lighter BMW is a compact.

I know that, as stated in the post, but i don't know what allows them to quality something as an SUV or wagon or what the benefits would be.

As for flat load floor. there doesn't seem to be any consistency there, either.

The rules changed in ~2011 which might make some difference, but most of the distinctions see arbitrary. The Dodge Caliber was classified as a station wagon at the same time the Pt cruiser was classified as an SUV

The PT cruiser rear seats are level with the rear floor, the caliber they are lower, the cullinan are actually higher.

The 5 door impreza is a wagon, the Crosstrek is an SUV

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 22, 2022

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Franco Caution posted:

Also just want to throw out that any mid size truck that is due for a refresh soon that is NOT coming out with at least some form of hybrid powerplant or BEV is loving stupid and lazy.

I'm pretty sure Ranger isn't getting either of those until Ford can meet demand on the F-150 stuff.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Oh Im sure of it. And its loving stupid and lazy.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Franco Caution posted:

Ill believe it when someone takes a pic of one on the streets with actual plates. Didnt they say the same thing about the last gen Raptor Ranger?

You're not missing out on gently caress all with the current gen Ranger Raptor, it's some 33's, shocks, a bash plate and sports seats combined with the 157kw biturbo 2l diesel you guys get in a Transit.

Supposedly the next-gen will have a PHEV version coming 2 years after initial (Edit: rest of world, US won't get the next-gen for a while) launch and maybe an EV version later but I'm skeptical of the latter.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Franco Caution posted:

Oh Im sure of it. And its loving stupid and lazy.

I'm pretty sure building fewer electric F-150s so you can build electric Rangers is way stupider than the alternative

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This past weekend at the local auto show I discovered the most ineffectual branding effort ever when I didn't realize the French amalgamation of Chrysler, Jeep, Fiat and Dodge was named Stellantis.

I swear, I've never heard that name before and to see all these signs up on the show floor for Stellantis rather than the individual marquees was really weird.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
If the world was cool, Stellantis would be working on bringing Citroen and the Ami over to America.

Instead, the directionless amalgamation of brands has decided to starve Chrysler, Dodge*, and Ram of new product while launching awful body-on-frame SUVs and trying to convince Americans that they should want Alfa Romeo cars.

* Dodge is getting a new compact CUV, but it is a rebadged Alfa Tonale. Who lets a word that can easily be mistaken for toenail be the name of a brand new model? The only possible silver lining is that the powers-that-be have figured out that American buyers are never going to be on board with Alfa.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 23, 2022

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Q_res posted:

I'm pretty sure building fewer electric F-150s so you can build electric Rangers is way stupider than the alternative

Not saying this needs to steal away resources from the F150 in order to exist. Just that the planning or option should be there. Ford shouldnt stop thinking about electric powertrains because doing so would result in fewer F150s. Thats dumb.
All new vehicles should in some capacity have a Hybrid or BEV version planned or available.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
There is supposed to be a PHEV Ranger for Europe and Australasia 'by 2024'

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

I know that, as stated in the post, but i don't know what allows them to quality something as an SUV or wagon or what the benefits would be.

As for flat load floor. there doesn't seem to be any consistency there, either.

The rules changed in ~2011 which might make some difference, but most of the distinctions see arbitrary. The Dodge Caliber was classified as a station wagon at the same time the Pt cruiser was classified as an SUV

The PT cruiser rear seats are level with the rear floor, the caliber they are lower, the cullinan are actually higher.

The 5 door impreza is a wagon, the Crosstrek is an SUV

My state's registration office classifies my Kia Soul EV as a "utility vehicle". No idea. Fueleconomy.gov says Small Station Wagon though. :shrug:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

PBCrunch posted:

If the world was cool, Stellantis would be working on bringing Citroen and the Ami over to America.

Instead, the directionless amalgamation of brands has decided to starve Chrysler, Dodge*, and Ram of new product while launching awful body-on-frame SUVs and trying to convince Americans that they should want Alfa Romeo cars.

* Dodge is getting a new compact CUV, but it is a rebadged Alfa Tonale. Who lets a word that can easily be mistaken for toenail be the name of a brand new model? The only possible silver lining is that the powers-that-be have figured out that American buyers are never going to be on board with Alfa.

you should be grateful that it's a name and not some dumb alphanumeric garbage

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Ive always assumed that in 10 years or so there was going to be one of these deep dives investigations into just how this whole Alfa Romeo thing in the US happened.
Money Laundering scheme? Did someone high up get a child kidnapped and the only way to get them back was to push the Alfa Romeo brand?
Year after year it makes no sense.

I think in all my trips to a poo poo load of cities I've maybe seen like 40 of them on the streets, tops. And that's me being generous because there was an outdoor mall plaza one time in Vegas where I saw like 6 of them at once.
Every single "cars that you can get at a significant discount" post features them.
They also have a stigma of being maintenance and problem nightmares even if that isnt 100% true.

Manufactures get rid of models and brands all the time, and even with this it seems like the powers that be are still like "All in. More Alfa Romeo."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
bringing back Alfa made sense at a strategic level because it covers a segment that FCA did not cover in the US and the brand actually has fairly good equity as a sporty luxury brand

now practically speaking did it make sense to bring back the brand with a single product in a dying, highly competitive segment? no

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I have to laugh - one of the lawyers that works in our building has 3 of the small Alfa suvs. Red, White, and Blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

If I could get a solid lease deal I would go for a Giulia. gently caress owning one out of warranty though, I'm not crazy.