Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You've all reminded me I need to buy myself that MX5/Miata specific oil filter adaptor tool. I bought the car and tried to do a full service but couldn't get the loving filter off because the angle and space you've got is ridiculous. Ended up just changing the oil before taking a trip in the car and then have had it sit in storage since.

I need to change that loving filter.

I had to skip the filter my first oil change when I had my NA for the same reason, that filter is a nightmare to get to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

EvilBeard posted:

I buy K&N Performance filters. They have a 1" hex on the end. A socket or wrench pops em loose.

You beautiful bastard, I knew I'd seen them before but I couldn't remember how to search for them specifically. Thank you.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Verman posted:

Also every filter should just have a female 3/8 square socket.

Proof our society is deeply flawed: this simple and cost-effective solution would outperform every single oil filter removal tool but instead, we have useless straps and a dozen sockets that don't fit.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

chrisgt posted:

To me, the strap wrench kind is wildly ineffective. The reason I generally can't remove a filter is because I can't get my meathook around the thing. Thus there is no room for the strap wrench style.

Try one of these:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EvilBeard posted:

I buy K&N Performance filters. They have a 1" hex on the end. A socket or wrench pops em loose.

For some reason it took this to click as to why GM chose "27mm" out of seemingly nowhere for the hex size on the oil and fuel filter housings on my diesel Canyon. I have a 27mm socket so I've never checked but next time I have the hood popped I'm betting a 1" socket fits just fine as well.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

joat mon posted:

Try one of these:

Is this a DIY thing or does it have a name?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

IOwnCalculus posted:

For some reason it took this to click as to why GM chose "27mm" out of seemingly nowhere for the hex size on the oil and fuel filter housings on my diesel Canyon. I have a 27mm socket so I've never checked but next time I have the hood popped I'm betting a 1" socket fits just fine as well.

25.4mm = 1 inch so...maybe

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Outrail posted:

I always called it a strap oil filter remover, but calling it a nylon strap oil filter remover should sift out the other ones.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So now that we're over the big hump of putting engine back together (a manifold counts :colbert: ), it's time for any of the many little jobs. First up, junking these old eBay clear lenses.

They're fine enough I guess (until the left one fell apart). Inspection was busting my balls about a crack in one of the OE lenses because "it might fall out", so for 60 bucks this shut them up. But now I have 94-97 tails with amber indicators, so we're trading up.

Much better.

Next up was the hosed over passenger side door handle. The door was kind of stuck one day, and pulling on the handle was just more than it could bear. Snapped off right in front of the inspector (different one, much more reasonable). Gee I wonder why inspection time makes me fuckin' neurotic.

After more fiddling than I care to recount or detail, I got it swapped. PROTIP: you do NOT have to disassemble the lock cylinder to remove it. There is just a clip that you pull. Ask me how I know!

Much better. Operates more smoothly too. I probably just need to hit the mechanism with some cleaner/lube occasionally, since it doesn't get used a lot.

Next up: cleaning and wheel painting

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Remember: use a dry lubricant like powdered graphite on lock cylinders. "Wet" lube will attract dirt that will stay put in the lock.

I almost like the way the tail lights look without the clear cover. They probably don't keep moisture away from the bulbs worth poo poo, though.

What is between the two upper license plate bolts on the rear plate?

Update on the CR-V door latch rod. I went to put the inner door trim back on and the lock rod popped right out of the Dorman clip. A Dorman part didn't fit well, who could have guessed? Luckily, I already had the OEM Honda clip that had caused me so many headaches a few days ago. I fished that one out of the bottom of the door and everything went together like clockwork. Its almost a good thing the Dorman clip popped off at the first sign of stress. I had left the hand mirror I was using for inspection inside the door.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah the clears weren't bad. not full 'tezza at least :v:

The thing on the plate is an aftermarket license light. Stock one broke forever ago and (say it with me) it got me through inspection. I've been thinking about finding a stock unit but haven't yet

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Not a car project, but I did this a couple weeks ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maPyEmWHY-4

The drawers are coated with bedliner, so they are Automotive Insanity-adjacent.

Our dishwasher wash pump failed last week. The drying heater and the mechanism that hold the door partially open had already broken, so we decided to get a new dishwasher. I installed said dishwasher over the weekend. It was a simple process, but frustrating. GE decided that it did not need to install the trim, include a power cable water supply hose. The hose to send dirty water over to the garbage disposal was in the box, but no power cable or supply hose. I was able to use the cord and hose from the old dishwasher, but still. The power cable part drove me nuts. The machine can't do poo poo without electricity.

Anyway, we had to get all the stuff out from under the sink, so I'm making some slide-y drawers for under the sink, too.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Outrail posted:

I did a quick Google and there are a ton of such products.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/performance-tool-strap-filter-wrench-w173c/9013180-p

Never seen these before. Night have to give it a try.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I've never seen a dishwasher that did include a power cord; many jurisdictions don't allow a cord and plug connected dishwasher, so why waste the money including it?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
A couple months ago I had to interact with a bosch dish washer that probably cost more than most cars I have bought and it came with both a weird rear end proprietary j-box and a power cord

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Yerok posted:

A couple months ago I had to interact with a bosch dish washer that probably cost more than most cars I have bought and it came with both a weird rear end proprietary j-box and a power cord

Confirmed, and they have a nice recall over them as well. Everyone loves a fire from their dishwasher. https://www.boschdishpowercord.com/

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I’ll post rear end pictures in my thread when I get it done but for now I just want to say that I’m really happy to have this going back together. Even when it’s violent (stupid sway bar links) it’s mostly enjoyable wrenching.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

Not a car project, but I did this a couple weeks ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maPyEmWHY-4

The drawers are coated with bedliner, so they are Automotive Insanity-adjacent.

Our dishwasher wash pump failed last week. The drying heater and the mechanism that hold the door partially open had already broken, so we decided to get a new dishwasher. I installed said dishwasher over the weekend. It was a simple process, but frustrating. GE decided that it did not need to install the trim, include a power cable water supply hose. The hose to send dirty water over to the garbage disposal was in the box, but no power cable or supply hose. I was able to use the cord and hose from the old dishwasher, but still. The power cable part drove me nuts. The machine can't do poo poo without electricity.

Anyway, we had to get all the stuff out from under the sink, so I'm making some slide-y drawers for under the sink, too.

I like this. We have annoying cabinets that this might help. Was there a kit that you used or was this all custom?

I just installed a bosch dishwasher (hasn't caught fire, yet) in the last month or so and the cord was included as part of the additional install kit I paid extra for. Maybe the drain hose, too. Nickled and dimed.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

I like this. We have annoying cabinets that this might help. Was there a kit that you used or was this all custom?

I just installed a bosch dishwasher (hasn't caught fire, yet) in the last month or so and the cord was included as part of the additional install kit I paid extra for. Maybe the drain hose, too. Nickled and dimed.
I used ball bearing full extension drawer slides from the hardware store and made everything else to fit. It was a real pain in the rear end squeezing it into the back part of the cabinet. The units under the sink are going to be a piece of cake in comparison.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

jink posted:

Confirmed, and they have a nice recall over them as well. Everyone loves a fire from their dishwasher. https://www.boschdishpowercord.com/

Bosch STILL hasn't figured out how to keep their dishwashers from catching on fire?!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

STR posted:

Bosch STILL hasn't figured out how to keep their dishwashers from catching on fire?!

TBF that recall is 7 years old.

Two of my last three have been decent! The other was like 15 years old and not sure owed me anything at that point.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My parents have one from ~2002 that's let the magic smoke out 3 times that I know of. Luckily they were home every time, and it was covered under warranty the first time (recall the 2nd and 3rd times).

Though at that age, it definitely doesn't owe them anything.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I called a couple of appliance repair and/or appliance parts shops before buying the dishwasher. Their advice was extremely AI:

Buy something simple. More features means more parts that can break and more expensive parts.
Buy from an old-school appliance brand: Amana, Frigidaire, GE, Maytag, Whirlpool.

I was OK with not having a dishwasher and just using the old one as a drying rack for hand-washed dishes, but I was vetoed by the person who does all the cooking.

I masked up a set of wheels and tires for paint. I can't paint right now because the garage is about 30 degrees Freedom and outside is about one degree Freedom. I also went out and picked up a set of four RX-8 18" wheels for $100 from a FB Marketplace seller. They might end up on my 95 Lexus SC 400 or on my 2004 CR-V.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 24, 2022

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

PBCrunch posted:

Remember: use a dry lubricant like powdered graphite on lock cylinders. "Wet" lube will attract dirt that will stay put in the lock.

Quite literally the opposite, directly, of what every locksmith has said that I've ever had out. Cars, houses, doesn't matter. Graphite specifically is called out because itself builds up and stops the mechanism from working. Much like the 'dirt' that would be attracted.

I'm no locksmith so I have to defer to the ones I've used over the years. They say stuff like Houdini or Tri-Flow. I actually had to use Houdini to wash out the graphite in the ignition cylinder of a Land Cruiser. 26 years of the poo poo almost ruined the mechanism :negative:

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 24, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PBCrunch posted:

I called a couple of appliance repair and/or appliance parts shops before buying the dishwasher. Their advice was extremely AI:

Buy something simple. More features means more parts that can break and more expensive parts.
Buy from an old-school appliance brand: Amana, Frigidaire, GE, Maytag, Whirlpool.

On top of that, get something with a mechanical timer if you want it to last a long time. Anything with electronics isn't going to last as long.

At my last apartment, we wound up with a brand new Whirlpool dishwasher with electronic controls (they stopped repairing the original GE basic dishwashers; ours had a sticking timer). It was nice, it got dishes clean, it took loving forever (2.5 hours), but maintenance said they're a nightmare when they break (the control board costs almost as much as the dishwasher?). The newer Whirlpool refrigerators they were using had an absurd DOA rate (primarily bad compressors IIRC). Making it more fun, since it's a large property management company, their negotiated rates with Whirlpool ditch the warranty entirely... so a DOA is on the maintenance guys to deal with. They kinda gave me the feeling that they didn't like Whirlpool anything and preferred the original GE stuff by miles.

The apartment I'm in now has the original GE stuff.. from 1998 (except for the OTR microwave, those are a bit newer). It all works, though the fridge has to have the coils vacuumed out every couple of months (and you can't get under there easily).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
In my experience the door seals on dish washers wear out way before electronics most of the time.

I did have to laugh last time I called to get an appliance repaired though because the first option in the phone tree was 'if you're having trouble connecting your appliance to your wifi network press 1'

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

dissss posted:

In my experience the door seals on dish washers wear out way before electronics most of the time.

I did have to laugh last time I called to get an appliance repaired though because the first option in the phone tree was 'if you're having trouble connecting your appliance to your wifi network press 1'

I love pointlessly wifi connected devices. Like cool you can tell your washer to start washing but you can also do that with the timer that all washers have come with since the dawn of time. Also you kinda need to be there to load the thing to begin with so just how much use are these features?

The future is loving dumb.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I love pointlessly wifi connected devices. Like cool you can tell your washer to start washing but you can also do that with the timer that all washers have come with since the dawn of time. Also you kinda need to be there to load the thing to begin with so just how much use are these features?

The future is loving dumb.

My brand-new dishwasher doesn't have any wi-fi connectivity. I have had a smart plug with power monitoring connected to the old dishwasher and the new one for a couple years. I have Home Assistant rigged up to keep track of dishwasher start and finish events based on power consumption. It helps me know if the dishwasher is full of clean or dirty dishes when my wife isn't around.

I have a similar setup on my laundry machine. The dryer is 220V, so I have a device connected to it with an ambient temperature sensor and a second temperature sensor secured to the dryer's vent pipe. I can determine when the dryer starts and finishes by comparing the temperatures. Home Assistant pesters me with phone notifications to move laundry when there are wet clothes in the laundry machine.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

My washer beeps when it finishes tbh so I don't need to check my phone for that. :shrug:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My washer beeps when it finishes tbh so I don't need to check my phone for that. :shrug:

My washer does nothing when it finishes. Even if the washer did beep, the machine is in the basement, so you might not hear it upstairs in the Champagne Room anyway. The dryer buzzes when it is done, but what I really wanted to avoid was wet clothes sitting in the washer overnight.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

Quite literally the opposite, directly, of what every locksmith has said that I've ever had out. Cars, houses, doesn't matter. Graphite specifically is called out because itself builds up and stops the mechanism from working. Much like the 'dirt' that would be attracted.

I'm no locksmith so I have to defer to the ones I've used over the years. They say stuff like Houdini or Tri-Flow. I actually had to use Houdini to wash out the graphite in the ignition cylinder of a Land Cruiser. 26 years of the poo poo almost ruined the mechanism :negative:

I like to use spray Teflon.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Had to use an OEM fender as the aftermarket one was no where close, shocking I know. So fender on, door and fender aligned, frame pulled back close to spec for the bumper and bumper mounted sort of straight.

Going to sort out the cooling system next as it does get hot and I don’t think it is the sender.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Darchangel posted:

I like to use spray Teflon.

That makes some sense, once it dries it shouldn't pick up too much too much grot

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Fans mounted on the shroud using the finest in hobo engineering Lowes offers. Replaced the thermostat as well with a 180 one. What was in there claimed to be 195 but looked pretty crappy. Water temp gauge still over reads so going to replace the sender.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
Put down a $500 holds my spot in line deposit for the GR Corolla

:getin:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Actually in full on holding pattern mode waiting for KPower stuff now. Kinda getting the itch to just do a super cheap K1 rods, Wiseco 12.5:1 pistons, K20A2 head, 4Piston RR4 cams, and valve springs setup to make like 260-270whp on 91 and rev to 9k right away rather than waiting.

Must wait. Must wait.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Actually in full on holding pattern mode waiting for KPower stuff now. Kinda getting the itch to just do a super cheap K1 rods, Wiseco 12.5:1 pistons, K20A2 head, 4Piston RR4 cams, and valve springs setup to make like 260-270whp on 91 and rev to 9k right away rather than waiting.

Must wait. Must wait.

I've been looking at forged rotating assemblies all day. The urge is real.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

EvilBeard posted:

I've been looking at forged rotating assemblies all day. The urge is real.

Easy to justify when you can build it on the side... :)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
today i ripped this thing out

the first thing youll notice is that the shift lever is welded to the cut-off remains of the lever receiver. whats less obvious is that there are a bunch of missing/hosed parts. primarily:

there is supposed to be a bolt through that square hole, with a reinforcing brace on the other side. this is (supposed to be) the pivot for the left-right axis of the shift gate. with it missing, it was just sort of floating in there, around the up/down pivot pin. no wonder i could twist the shifter a couple degrees

with that out of the way, the rest of it looks... not great:

it felt super lovely to shift, really sloppy and easy to get the wrong gear. also, it has the wrong shift lever, which put the handle way down at my knee when driving, so i had to hunch over to shift. i bought the right shift lever for it, tried to figure out how the hell the old one came out, and have been snowballing from there, lol

i found and bought a new bottom assembly / lever receiver, which came with new shims and the right bolts, so i think i have everything i need to get it back together correctly once i get all this cleaned up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

The clear coat on these wheels was wrecked and there was tons of corrosion near the rim. Even still, the factory finish really hung in there. It took me a very long time to get the factory paint off these things via sandblaster.

I painted these on Sunday. One of them needed some additional sanding and touch up, but now these are ready to go back on my 93 Toyota Pickup.