Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Drunk Nerds posted:

Just like we all have to put a sticky note on our screen that says "DONT PICK ANY RELICS" to get that one achievement.

I had to abandon more runs than I can count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

....four?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I feel the need... the need for seed

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Drunk Nerds posted:

I feel the need... the need for seed

Here's two seeds I played today where Neow hosed me; maybe you can see if you can turn these lemons into lemonade.

54CVMZFNTCNUA, Watcher, A20. Take the random rare from Neow, because Watcher has so many phenomenal rares that it can't go wrong, right? Wrong, because Conjure Blade exists. Then, try and fail to make a good Conjure Blade deck anyway, and die to the act 2 boss. At least, that's what I did just now.

4S8NIHDISPQTA, Silent, A20. Relic swap and get Sacred Bark. Then, if you take the same path I did, get zero potions before the first elite, and only one not-very-useful one before dying on the second elite.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

Here's two seeds I played today where Neow hosed me; maybe you can see if you can turn these lemons into lemonade.

54CVMZFNTCNUA, Watcher, A20. Take the random rare from Neow, because Watcher has so many phenomenal rares that it can't go wrong, right? Wrong, because Conjure Blade exists. Then, try and fail to make a good Conjure Blade deck anyway, and die to the act 2 boss. At least, that's what I did just now.

, Silent, A20. Relic swap and get Sacred Bark. Then, if you take the same path I did, get zero potions before the first elite, and only one not-very-useful one before dying on the second elite.

It's A20, and I haven't been there in awhile, so I played conservatively and went up the middle right. Elites were nob (just race him) lagavulin (spend the dex potion, take very little damage) sentries (blow one up with fire potion on t1 to make it very easy).

Spire is having some graphical problems on my system (seems to think it should be scaling for 4k for some reason) so I just left it at this death in early act 2

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Been making steady progress climbing ascensions with the heart but I just started A15 and this poo poo is brutal. Bad events, god drat. Events were my friend...

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Arivia posted:

It's A20, and I haven't been there in awhile, so I played conservatively and went up the middle right. Elites were nob (just race him) lagavulin (spend the dex potion, take very little damage) sentries (blow one up with fire potion on t1 to make it very easy).

Spire is having some graphical problems on my system (seems to think it should be scaling for 4k for some reason) so I just left it at this death in early act 2

I also had a go at this seed. Went a different direction with the deck and thought the run was free when I got snecko/funnel right next to each other in act 2, but never found catalyst and then got battered by giant head/time eater.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

4S8NIHDISPQTA, Silent, A20. Relic swap and get Sacred Bark. Then, if you take the same path I did, get zero potions before the first elite, and only one not-very-useful one before dying on the second elite.

I just barely limped through Act 1, but the Hexaghost fight was surprisingly easy thanks to Sacred Bark. Immediately after the fight I clicked on Sozu without thinking and closed the game

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

DontMockMySmock posted:

Thanks. What platform did you play these on?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Thanks. What platform did you play these on?

Oh, I forgot that that matters; PC/Steam.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

DontMockMySmock posted:

Oh, I forgot that that matters; PC/Steam.

does it? I thought they'd been patched to be identical a while ago.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

From what I've been told, mods change the RNG. PC/Mobile/Console should all be the same without mods installed.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Walla posted:

From what I've been told, mods change the RNG. PC/Mobile/Console should all be the same without mods installed.

Oh that explains so much. Now I realize that the weird ones that made me assume they don't match up are the ones where I used a mod to get neow's lament

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just to let everyone know that Lifecoach is back from his vacation.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Walla posted:

I'm on the latest version on switch and my boss swap was to a coffee dripper instead on the silent run

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I'm on the latest version on switch and my boss swap was to a coffee dripper instead on the silent run

Yeah I tried that silent run on pc (no mods) and xbox and the act 1 boss was different

FnF
Apr 10, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

After a couple of tries (I'd forgotten to really prioritise attacks in early Act 1) I managed to get past Act 3 but Shield & Spear straight-up flattened me. For the record, I didn't use any of the info in the previous attempts of this seed, but :v:

(I've probably messed up these timg tags, sorry)

Some thoughts and musing on possible optimisations:

I didn't see any real offensivive scaling at all (Envenom+ was from the Heart shop); beating Time Eater involved waiting for its 2nd phase then dropping a Poison potion on it and mostly blocking. Awakened One was easy because I insta-popped 2 Metallic Armour potions, and it turns out that 16 Metallic Armour is actually really helpful! One probably would have been enough. A really boring fight though, just waiting for poison to overtake its regen.

I think I saw one Infinite Blades, a Blade Dance and 1-2 Cloak & Dagger, so because of the very late Kunai & Fan - and extremely late Envenom - taking those might actually be the path to a Heart kill. But taking those might mean missing a Glass Knife or other good early cards, which might mean an earlier death :shrug:

Bottling an early Glass Knife, with a Backstab and Marbles, was extremely helpful throughout (in Act 3 I bought Marbles instead of Orange Pellets 'cause I hadn't seen Wraith Form, and more defence wouldn't make up for no real offensive power), and tried to hunt the good Act 3 events. Got The Specimen from the Double Orb Walkers, which was very meh.

Also this might have been my first run ever where I got the Green Key on floor 48, which was novel.

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

FnF posted:

Some thoughts and musing on possible optimisations:

The biggest optimization has to be taking something other than Busted Crown, right? Picking it in Act 1 is very frequently going to lead to the exact problem that you had here, where you couldn't find all the cards that you needed. In a deck that only has five cards in its starting hand, I'd also be leery about dedicating even one of them to a card that I wouldn't want to have against the Spear and Shield. Maybe either Backstab or the bottled Glass Knife was a necessary sacrifice to get through the early game, but going with both and the Afterimage puts you in a very rough position for that fight.

I wonder if the play was to recognize early in Act 3 that you could expect to have an extremely hard Act 4, and then fish for potions that would be good there with Alchemize while trying to get strong enough to get through the Act 3 bosses with one potion slot locked. If you had kept the deck a bit leaner with regard to attacks and seen a few more of the commons that it wanted, that might have been enough. Focusing on Act 4 also pushes you hard toward Pellets, since they turn Speed Potion into a huge hit and save so much health against the Heart. Fumes plus Liquid Bronze (or maybe even Poison Potion/Orange Pellets Flex potion) gets you close to solving your damage issues there: it's probably enough if you could afford to hold Malaise for the third multi-attack.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

At least I had 999 gold.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mymla posted:

At least I had 999 gold.

lol

did you draw into the normality?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I drew into the vault with gremlin horn. Then I drew the second normality on the next turn.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

DontMockMySmock posted:

Forgot to stream/record this, but:

Freed the lizard, too. Dead Branch fucks.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mymla posted:

I drew into the vault with gremlin horn. Then I drew the second normality on the next turn.

omg you had the cursed key too. Curse central

rip o7

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mymla posted:

At least I had 999 gold.

Yeah, this is why I never take the cash there unless I have an omamori charge or a silly Defect deck. Everyone else is way too crippled by Normality.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Brutal, the day I realized that blue candle counts as playing a card so your starter hand is fine but you can't always remove a normality that you drew later in the turn

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

Forgot to stream/record this, but:

Freed the lizard, too. Dead Branch fucks.

My choices:

Act 1:
A. Four straight combats. chose Furry of Blows, Crush joints, sash whip, and foresight. I really valued the foresight, because I really needed to set up the conjure blade.
B. Took an event, got to remove defend. Not sure if I had other choices, but whenever I play watcher I get this itch in my brain until I remove at least one defend
C. Nob. Took 26 damage, dropping me to 26/68. Got duality and so I chose consecrate. A plan was forming in my mind to build up the value of a single block card with zero cost attacks, allowing me to play Conjure blade for at least 2 with minimal blowback.
D. Fire. Upgraded conjure blade, as it was the key to my current plan
E. Event: Chest: White beast statue(!). Then treasure room got me lizard tail.
F. Rest: Upgraded eruption.
G. Event: Dead adventurer. I clicked once and got 30 gold. Sat there for like a year trying to decide if I wanted to click again. Decided against it as I wanted to make sure I could take out the burning elite despite having 26 hp
H. Hallway fight, Chose Empty body.
I. Lagavulin burning. Jackpot: Dead Branch and scrawl (and power potion)
J. Event: took 7 damage to remove a defend
K. Rest
L. Slime Boss. Set up conjure blade early and took 0 damage. Took lesson learned over alpha and wish. Chose Holy water over two other boss relics I can't remember because I mashed holy water so fast for the monster turn 1s

Act 2:
A. Muggers. I can never properly prepare for muggers in act 1 because I suck. Took 24 damage. Got talk to the hand (!)
B. 3 straight events because gently caress early act 2 fights. Traded 85 gold for a random pear, took 17 damage from red mask bandits, ignored the vampires.
C. Three little byrds. Took no damage. Chose Empty fist over flurry of blows and evaluate plus, because my deck had expanded to no longer relying on conjure blade in hallway fights.
D. Rested, I was at 27 hp
E. Snake plant. Took 20 damage because screw snake plant. Skipped prostate, consecrate, and wave of the hand.
F. Rested AGAIN. Was not feeling so great.
G. Chest: Meat on the bone. Started feeling better
H. Elite: Gremlin gang. Took 3 damage. Got torii.
I. Merchant: Purchased bag of marbles because I wanted help getting rid of artifacts to throw out talk to the hand. Purchased meditate because of course I did. Removed a strike.
J. Chosen flock. Skipped Cut through fate+/tranquility/protect. Looking back, I probably should have considered tranquility more for the energy generation+dead branch proc.
K. Book of stabbing. Chose a Vault, or it chose me
L. Hallway fight. Chose wallop.
M. 44 hp fire so I upgraded Talk to the Hand
N. The Collector. Took 20 damage. Chose deus ex machina because now I have two monster turns: Turn 1 and whenever I draw deus ex machina. Dead branch clobbers.
O. Chest. Thought long and hard between fusion hammer, busted crown, and cursed key. All were great. Took fusion hammer because there were only 3 updates I really needed and I had lesson learned, plus I wanted to see as many cards as possible to try to get another heartbreaker like Talk to the Hand.

Acts 3 I just kinda tried to lay low at the beginning of the act and take hall fights to see cards. Ended up with empty body+, consecrate+, and crush joints+ and skipped everything else. Took 2 elites at the end of the act, and grabbed the red and blue keys. Got captain's wheel and cloak clasp from the elites, which rounded out my block very nicely. Saw a lot of rare relics this run: Clasp, Wheel, branch, torii, needle and thread, and the unused Tail. Did the double orb walkers and got needle & thread and feel no pain. FNP really upped my ability to stance dance all around.

Act 4 I bought another vault and a power potion. Was able to vault out of that crushing turn 2 vs shield and spear and ended up only taking 1 damage. Chose devotion against the heart and dead branched a worship, which helped me outrace the heart (it did 72 damage to me)

The 5 miracles were a big boost to the conjure blade: I could play anything good dead branch made, then just pour the rest into the blade.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 18, 2022

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I made a lot of the same choices early on but I didn't end up with Dead Branch. Not sure where I went wrong but yeah sounds like dead branch hard carried there. Well done!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I just tried out Downfall, and :piss:

I don't know why I avoided it for so long. I guess I just thought everyone was over selling it. But no, it's really damned good.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

DontMockMySmock posted:

I made a lot of the same choices early on but I didn't end up with Dead Branch. Not sure where I went wrong but yeah sounds like dead branch hard carried there. Well done!

Weird, I wonder how that works. I did it on pc/steam specifically to mirror you. Did you have mod mode loaded? I didnt

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I forgot to prime the intangible relic so it would do literally anything against the heart.

gently caress

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

Weird, I wonder how that works. I did it on pc/steam specifically to mirror you. Did you have mod mode loaded? I didnt

I'm not sure; maybe I got less elite relics, saw it in a shop, and that it got removed from the elite relic pool? Idk I didn't record the run or anything

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

nrook posted:

I forgot to prime the intangible relic so it would do literally anything against the heart.

gently caress

It happens to all of us at least once or twenty-thrice.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I almost never bother stalling fights to get relics to better numbers. I just can't be bothered.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

same

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

DontMockMySmock posted:

I'm not sure; maybe I got less elite relics, saw it in a shop, and that it got removed from the elite relic pool? Idk I didn't record the run or anything

That would make sense

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
Gotta love it when you get corruption and dead branch from one elite. It does get kind of boring though. It takes a lot of the agency out after a while.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Yesterday was depressing. Repeatedly clobbered in act 1 only to lose to the heart with a deck that killed spire shield/spear on turn 1 because I didn't notice the burn in my hand on the turn before I would've killed the heart.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

metachronos posted:

Gotta love it when you get corruption and dead branch from one elite. It does get kind of boring though. It takes a lot of the agency out after a while.

It happens so rarely that I always like just sitting back and seeing what kind of chaos happens for a change

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
Pretty sure I heard Jedit get a call out on Baalorlord's stream, that's pretty neat 🙂

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Squashy posted:

Pretty sure I heard Jedit get a call out on Baalorlord's stream, that's pretty neat 🙂

I wasn't watching. It was probably a dad joke, though.