Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Riptor posted:

this post is dumb for a variety of reasons but you also realize that 'glass' is typically used in reference to nuking places in the desert right

You don't need desert to glass an area, technically. It just changes the mineral composition of what that glass is depending on the amount of silicates in the soil. You can definitely nuke a forest and it'll be glassed at the fireball location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

The quick explanation is that Trump was a pliable moron who would be likely to get swayed by the military chiefs and other hawks to do god knows what. Just like he basically gave a blank check to them vis a vis Syria. Remember when Trump smoked something like hundred of Russian Wagner mercs like it was nothing?

yeah Trump would have happily started ww3 if he felt slighted

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1305848320569626624

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

He seems to be doing that rather leisurely considering everything going on, almost to the beat of "She loves me, she loves me not"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

You don't need desert to glass an area, technically. It just changes the mineral composition of what that glass is depending on the amount of silicates in the soil. You can definitely nuke a forest and it'll be glassed at the fireball location.

Just nuke twice, first into desert and then into glass. Smdh, has either of you ever touched a video game.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
So the American President being an unpredictable buffoon was the ont thing keeping Puting in check? Funny how that works out.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Just nuke twice, first into desert and then into glass. Smdh, has either of you ever touched a video game.

I always liked causing desertification and climate change in Civilization IV by launching nukes everywhere

Edit for content: Fallout already happening as it concerns European energy production. Finland is looking to reassess the Rosatom-backed nuclear power project due to fears that it could contribute towards Russia's nuclear weapons production.

https://yle.fi/news/3-12329586

Yle posted:

Finnish Prime Minister Sanna Marin said on Tuesday that she was in favour of conducting a new risk analysis of the Fennovoima nuclear power project in light of the escalating situation between Russia and Ukraine.

The project is partly owned by Russian companies, and experts have warned that it could contribute towards Russia's nuclear weapon production.

Minister of Economic Affairs Mika Lintilä had previously told Helsingin Sanomat that Finland's Ministry of Defence intends to conduct a new security assessment of the Pyhäjoki-based undertaking.

The project has still not been granted a construction permit.

MPs discussed the security situation in Europe on Tuesday afternoon, after Russia's recognition of two breakaway 'republics' in eastern Ukraine.

Marin opened the debate by echoing President Sauli Niinistö's previous comments, saying that Russia was openly breaking the Minsk Protocol which had affirmed the two territories as part of Ukraine.

The prime minister characterised the country's recognition of the independence of Donetsk and

Luhansk as a serious overstep, saying that Russia should return to the negotiation table as the situation could deteriorate quickly.

"We call on Russia to reverse its recognition, to end its military actions and to withdraw its troops from Ukraine, and to resume discussions within the framework of the Normandy format and the OSCE," she said at a press conference following the parliamentary meeting.

Marin asserted that Finland was standing firmly behind Ukraine's independence and its right to self-determination.

The EU announced plans to impose sanctions on Russia following its recognition of the two separatist regions on Tuesday. Additionally, Germany said it would halt the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline project aimed at doubling the supply of Russian gas to Germany.

According to Marin, Russia is expected to counter these sanctions with its own. She stressed that any retaliation that Russia might take is no longer relevant.

"This is not key to the situation. The key is to show full support for Ukraine," the prime minister stated.

She also said that Finland plans to increase its support for Ukraine through financial and other means. The matter was reportedly discussed at a joint meeting of the President and the Ministerial Committee on Foreign and Security Policy on Tuesday morning.

Additionally, Marin revealed that she discussed the preparation of sanctions against Russia with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen on Monday.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 22, 2022

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Freezer posted:

So the American President being an unpredictable buffoon was the ont thing keeping Puting in check? Funny how that works out.

I think Russia has internal stuff going on that probably has as much or more to do with it than who the president of the US is. Stuff like covid, Putin figuring out what's next after his current term, etc. If he thinks he has a chance to hurt Biden politically and maybe get Trump back though, that's a bonus for Putin too though.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Biden talking now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joRERZ_9-iU&hd=1

Nice quote: "Who in the world does Putin think gave him the authority to just create two new countries?"

Sanctions: Full blocking sanctions on VEB and their military bank, sanctions on Russia's sovereign debt, cut off from western financing, starting tomorrow and continuing onward sanctions on Russian elites and their family members will be levied, Nord Stream 2 will NOT move forward, we will continue providing defensive assistance to Ukraine. Biden authorized NATO troop deployments citing Belarus threat to defend NATO allies, strictly defensive and made sure to stress that these are defensive actions inside NATO only, with troops already in Europe

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 22, 2022

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

"Who, in the Lord's name, does Putin think gives him the authority to declare new countries?"

Putin, I'd assume

E: we're activating European troops to send to the baltics, but will not attack belarus

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 22, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Imagine being a white western leader and being indignant at manufacturing client states lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Eric Cantonese posted:

I suspect the US would have been talking only to Putin 1 on 1 with Ukraine and the rest of the EU being frozen out. We'd probably say we had a peace deal and Russian would have eaten up the entirety of the disputed regions weeks ago. GOP House and Senate members would act very concerned but do nothing. The EU would likewise feel (and be) hosed over, but not do much.

And you know, prior to things kicking off yesterday, the Kremlin had still kind of been trying to play up the idea of the US being the real puppet master behind Kyiv, therefore only negotiations between the US and Russia could get things done, the EU could kick sand. It's potentially a very clever play by Putin if the US moves in a more, err, Republican direction. In 2022 Putin has to negotiate with Biden, but in 2025 he could get Trump again, or someone with his foreign policy views.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

projecthalaxy posted:

"Who, in the Lord's name, does Putin think gives him the authority to declare new countries?"

Putin, I'd assume

E: we're activating European troops to send to the baltics, but will not attack belarus

Yeah they are strengthening NATO allies in defensive postures. Its not a bad move, because Russia is not planning any moves against NATO allies. But the visibility is clear.

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Saladman posted:

It's not the fault of the Polish language that Germans and Russians kept invading and took all their vowels away.

E: Actually maybe less bad than I remembered. Just Wroclaw, Rzeszow, Szczecin, and Bydgoszcz that stand out as needing more vowels.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Al-Saqr posted:

Imagine being a white western leader and being indignant at manufacturing client states lol

How many client states did Biden create, and which ones are they specifically?

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
I'll never get over how old and bumbling Biden is, woof.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It seems written in a rush, but it's good hear we're uninen in comprive sanctions.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

All the people yelling questions over each other at his back lol

I know it always happens and its their job but do they really expect him to turn around

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ummel posted:

I'll never get over how old and bumbling Biden is, woof.

Old Men, Ruling the world. A New Age.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

He was just vice president at the time, but Biden was a vocal proponent of partitioning Iraq (which obviously didn't actually happen). He supported the recognition of Kosovo as well, for a client state the US did create during his time in government.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

I know it always happens and its their job but do they really expect him to turn around

Can't really blame them for trying, we just had 4 years of a president who sometimes WOULD just turn around and come back for an unprompted series of questions just because he liked having the attention

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

Obviously no one has the time for it, but when this happens, I do wonder what would happen if one time, he actually DID do that and say "Ok. You've got me for the next 16 hours or so. Every question you have. All of 'em. Let's go." And just see how long it takes them to run out of steam or just start asking about the family dogs and stuff and keep plugging ahead.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Sorry for doubleposting but here's a useful tool: a multiviewer for watching multiple news channels at the same time for global crises like this. Here is an example set up with CNN, Al Jazeera English, and NBC Now. Set your own channels up by copying in youtube/twitch or m3u8 links to the cell, select audio by clicking once, remove by clicking twice.

https://tinyurl.com/yhzr5sbs

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

HonorableTB posted:

Can't really blame them for trying, we just had 4 years of a president who sometimes WOULD just turn around and come back for an unprompted series of questions just because he liked having the attention

Didn't Biden get caught on a hot mic calling a Fox Reporter a dumbass because of this? It's always worth a shot because you could get something juicy.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The US track record wrt “creating client states” is not good and if Putin just stopped there, that would be one thing.

But Putin isn’t going to stop, not with the firepower he’s amassed and if his speech is anything to go by, he won’t be happy until Ukraine In it’s entirely is absorbed into Russia as an Oblast.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

Obviously no one has the time for it, but when this happens, I do wonder what would happen if one time, he actually DID do that and say "Ok. You've got me for the next 16 hours or so. Every question you have. All of 'em. Let's go." And just see how long it takes them to run out of steam or just start asking about the family dogs and stuff and keep plugging ahead.

Its like the bizarro filibuster lol

Or like what they used to do in the 1800s what was it Wheel of Cheese day?

HonorableTB posted:

I didn't watch too many Trump remarks do you have a good example of this?

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 22, 2022

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Eric Cantonese posted:

Didn't Biden get caught on a hot mic calling a Fox Reporter a dumbass because of this? It's always worth a shot because you could get something juicy.

Ahh, the only real bipartisanship left in the USA comes in the form of the Democrats linking hands with their Republican colleagues across the aisle to call Peter Doocy a dumbass. McCain did it too, outright asked him "Why would you ask such a stupid question? Why?"

projecthalaxy posted:

Its like the bizarro filibuster lol

Or like what they used to do in the 1800s what was it Wheel of Cheese day?

I didn't watch too many Trump remarks do you have a good example of this?

He used to do it a lot with those random helicopter interviews he'd do

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/22/trump-marine-one-press-briefings-1471629

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 22, 2022

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Solaris 2.0 posted:

The US track record wrt “creating client states” is not good and if Putin just stopped there, that would be one thing.

But Putin isn’t going to stop, not with the firepower he’s amassed and if his speech is anything to go by, he won’t be happy until Ukraine In it’s entirely is absorbed into Russia as an Oblast.

It's going to take considerably more than under 200,000 troops to fully annex Ukraine.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

He used to do it a lot with those random helicopter interviews he'd do

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/22/trump-marine-one-press-briefings-1471629

Thanks. Also haha this article reminded me of when he wanted to buy/annex greenland. Would that be a client state lol

E: it puts a number to it: Trump did interviews while climbing into a helicopter 80 times. Obama did 3.

If I had access to a helicopter like that I'd give interviews too but I'd be the one asking the question and my question would be "have you seen my neat helicopter"

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 22, 2022

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Majorian posted:

It's going to take considerably more than under 200,000 troops to fully annex Ukraine.

I hope for the sake of Ukrainians you are right.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

Thanks. Also haha this article reminded me of when he wanted to buy/annex greenland. Would that be a client state lol

I had forgotten about that, and now I remember that he had the State Department actually ask Denmark about whether or not they'd sell it. This was around the time he wanted to sell Puerto Rico, too. I think at one point he had a brainworm proposal to trade PR for Greenland, but I may have fever dreamed that. 2016-2020 was an unending deluge of insane poo poo every single day lol

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Solkanar512 posted:

He hasn't foresworn the current ones, so.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

There was a funny joke in russian twitter a faw weeks ago when putins administration supported the paralympics team. A lot of people thanked Putin for for so many new members expected to join soon

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Inquiring about selling Puerto Rico, buying Greenland, and whether it was feasible to nuke hurricanes were unironically hilarious actions (mostly because they never happened) that were a nice break from the actually horrible things Trump was doing at the same time.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Sinteres posted:

I think Russia has internal stuff going on that probably has as much or more to do with it than who the president of the US is. Stuff like covid, Putin figuring out what's next after his current term, etc. If he thinks he has a chance to hurt Biden politically and maybe get Trump back though, that's a bonus for Putin too though.

Honestly wondering how much of it has to do with Putin's (at least rumored) health concerns. He has clearly had ambitions to restore Russia's sphere of influence for a long time, but previously seemed more content to take an incremental approach. Wonder if this is him realizing that he has only a short time left.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I wonder how that would have gone. Like if we just traded would they just send every Puerto Rican a letter saying here's your Danish passport lol you're even less American than before. Ditto in Greenland I guess. Would there be a grace period where you could opt out and still be American? I think there wasn't really that option when Hong Kong became Chinese which is the closest equivalent I can think of?

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Yeah, I don't see Putin sweating over any of the sanctions announced today. If he can't have NS2, he'll just take the Ukraininan gas pipes and use them.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Trump served multiple championship winning sports teams, college and professional, McDonald's and Wendy's on White House silver in the dining room. I think about that a lot

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

Trump served multiple championship winning sports teams, college and professional, McDonald's and Wendy's on White House silver in the dining room. I think about that a lot

He did this because the government was shut down because of The Wall negotiations so there weren't any cooks right?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Honestly wondering how much of it has to do with Putin's (at least rumored) health concerns. He has clearly had ambitions to restore Russia's sphere of influence for a long time, but previously seemed more content to take an incremental approach. Wonder if this is him realizing that he has only a short time left.

I think it is the combination of being extra isolated through pandemic, with fewer people meeting him and providing info (two weeks quarantine for any non-head of state visitor), and Kazakhstan happening with all reverence for granddady Nazarbaev evaporating in days. He is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Sir John Falstaff posted:

There are no known health issues. Probably just overall age. Remember that this is creating discontent among Russians, and especially oligarchs. If he doesn't retire in 10 years he'll be old and much more vulnerable to a coup. He also thinks that whoever the successor is won't have the standing among the elite and the control over them to pull this off. The successor might also be more democratic and not as willing to go against the West. He probably thinks this is the last chance for a Russian leader to do this.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 22, 2022