Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

He did this because the government was shut down because of The Wall negotiations so there weren't any cooks right?

"They're young, this is what they eat, right?" (Note: this is what he eats, people will like that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

projecthalaxy posted:

I wonder how that would have gone. Like if we just traded would they just send every Puerto Rican a letter saying here's your Danish passport lol you're even less American than before. Ditto in Greenland I guess. Would there be a grace period where you could opt out and still be American? I think there wasn't really that option when Hong Kong became Chinese which is the closest equivalent I can think of?

Anyone born in Hong Kong before it reverted to China has the right to live in the UK and a pathway to citizenship. It's a recent development but I know there were options put in place for at least some people to bounce to the UK if they didn't want to live under China. Folk asked for everyone to be given that option at the time but it was refused because *foreigns* I assume.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ukraine will be okay. The financial markets will not allow general warfare to happen.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
Biden got exactly what he wanted for Christmas.
Nord Stream 2 cancelled. Now I have to become a gas thief.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

projecthalaxy posted:

He did this because the government was shut down because of The Wall negotiations so there weren't any cooks right?

The first time it was that and not wanting to put any effort into making it happen, I think. The other times guests to the white house were fed cold soggy Whoppers to own the libs.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

HopperUK posted:

Folk asked for everyone to be given that option at the time but it was refused because *foreigns* I assume.

I think that's what I was remembering yeah. I was watching a YouTube about the transition and they said that that was one of the options put forward was having a period where any/all hong kongers could come to the UK, possibly in a new city built for the purpose in Northern Ireland

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

projecthalaxy posted:

I wonder how that would have gone. Like if we just traded would they just send every Puerto Rican a letter saying here's your Danish passport lol you're even less American than before. Ditto in Greenland I guess. Would there be a grace period where you could opt out and still be American? I think there wasn't really that option when Hong Kong became Chinese which is the closest equivalent I can think of?

Revoking already-granted American citizenship unilaterally is more or less impossible, so I guess they'd all be dual citizens. Which isn't a bad deal for the individual, really, too bad PR trade with the US would become a mess.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Ukraine will be okay. The financial markets will not allow general warfare to happen.

I do not think the financial markets have any say over whether or not Putin launches a general war.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1496204343179108355

Seeing several other reports of MLRS fire on Ukrainian positions in Donbas.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HonorableTB posted:

I do not think the financial markets have any say over whether or not Putin launches a general war.

It's a WW1 Joke.

--

""
In Volnovakha, Donetsk region about 30,000 people cut from water supply as a result of attacks by Russians, - Ukraine's ombudsman Denisova
""

""
Sentinel-2 imagery taken this morning 08:36 UTC shows at least nine Ilyushin Il-76 military cargo aircraft departing Taganrog-Central Air Base near Taganrog in Russia, located on the shores of the Sea of Azov, 40 km from Ukraine (DPR). Three of them airborne, six taxiing
""

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/danriversitv/status/1496203391382523908

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

It's a WW1 Joke.

--

""
In Volnovakha, Donetsk region about 30,000 people cut from water supply as a result of attacks by Russians, - Ukraine's ombudsman Denisova
""

Ohhh, I didn't think of that at all. It's been forever since I listened to his Guns of August series. Is he still doing podcasts?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

HonorableTB posted:

Ohhh, I didn't think of that at all. It's been forever since I listened to his Guns of August series. Is he still doing podcasts?

Yes! He is. In his first "blueprint for Armageddon" podcast, he discusses the German and British thinkers at the time claiming that there would never be another war on European soil because of the interconnection of the financial markets. What's interesting is those markets are even more interconnected and we are facing what could be the end of the long piece.
I'm also seeing people saying the same thing or at least they were about a week ago which was oh no there's no way that the financial markets will let another war happen.

It's a little dizzying seeing the same type of arguments and reasoning against the war that we saw in the leadup to WW1 Being spit out again

(If we want to talk more PMs would probably be good)

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Honestly wondering how much of it has to do with Putin's (at least rumored) health concerns. He has clearly had ambitions to restore Russia's sphere of influence for a long time, but previously seemed more content to take an incremental approach. Wonder if this is him realizing that he has only a short time left.

It isn't his health. It is the health of the Russian demographics that is forcing his hand. Like many countries around the world, Russia has a retiree problem on its hands. If Russia doesn't act now, it is unlikely they can act in 5 years time with the same degree of strength.

peej
Apr 10, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

I wonder how that would have gone. Like if we just traded would they just send every Puerto Rican a letter saying here's your Danish passport lol you're even less American than before.

The reverse of this scenario happened when the US bought the Danish West Indies (now the US Virgin Islands) from Denmark. I think it took 10 or 20 years to figure things out but eventually everybody became US citizens.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Peacekeeping force of my rear end. The video inside:
https://twitter.com/ArmedForcesUkr/status/1496166640702140425

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Cluster munitions dropping 350 kg of open surstromming cans onto the cities.

Have to admit i laughed when i saw this. :)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Reading this sanctions list I can hear Putin in his speech saying "they were going to sanction us anyway. Invent reasons, if they couldn't have found real ones". No, Vova, the western world wouldn't have put a ban on trading Russian sovereign debt just for shits and giggles. Why didn't you have a non-sycophant advisor left who could have given you a reality check or told you to go easy on the crack? :(

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Reminder that in Syria Medicines sans frontiers had to stop telling the UN where their hospitals were because the UN would tell Russia and then the Russians would bomb them. That the kind of war Russia fights.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

Reminder that in Syria Medicines sans frontiers had to stop telling the UN where their hospitals were because the UN would tell Russia and then the Russians would bomb them. That the kind of war Russia fights.

Yeah they bombed quite a few in Syria, it was pretty disgusting.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

TRMUPP

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1496219986561572870?s=20&t=WrgG5h8mqmnMB2LHjNEy4w

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

GABA ghoul posted:

Reading this sanctions list I can hear Putin in his speech saying "they were going to sanction us anyway. Invent reasons, if they couldn't have found real ones". No, Vova, the western world wouldn't have put a ban on trading Russian sovereign debt just for shits and giggles. Why didn't you have a non-sycophant advisor left who could have given you a reality check or told you to go easy on the crack? :(

no, no putin's right. Germans hate electricity and they were going to figure out how to cut the lights no matter what

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

so glad he's able to speak his mind whenever he likes and everyone publishes it. I'm happy about that.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

fatherboxx posted:

I think it is the combination of being extra isolated through pandemic, with fewer people meeting him and providing info (two weeks quarantine for any non-head of state visitor), and Kazakhstan happening with all reverence for granddady Nazarbaev evaporating in days. He is gone.

MikeC posted:

It isn't his health. It is the health of the Russian demographics that is forcing his hand. Like many countries around the world, Russia has a retiree problem on its hands. If Russia doesn't act now, it is unlikely they can act in 5 years time with the same degree of strength.

I think these are definitely both factors - the long-term problems of Russia's demographic and relative economic decline, combined with the recent developments in several formerly reliable post-Soviet states (with varying degrees of closeness to Moscow), may have really spooked him in 2020-22.

The unexpectedly rapid defeat of the Armenian army in the Nagorno-Karabakh war, Belarus having a big wobble following the blatant rigging of the 2020 election and subsequent unrest, and of course the recent unrest you mention even in 'stable' and 'prosperous' Kazakhstan - must have been a shock and I think he can feel the empire really starting to crumble, so is lashing out with the tools he has (propaganda, intelligence services, militias and armed forces) to try and postpone the decline.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I don't remember if this was posted today, but here's Lavrov "explainer" on why he thinks Ukraine doesn't have a right to sovereignty.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

The last one had an unfortunate encounter with gravity

Edit: This may be why Biden's speech was delayed.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

US State Secretary Blinken and UKR Foreign Minister Kuleba are going to speak:

https://youtu.be/zvsFnqnSf6s

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

D...does he think that Russia represents every single one of its inhabitants?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1496219943884439569?s=20&t=TRA-nSXTwWTiNFEXT7ev2Q

Lots of tanks mobilized in the Belgorod area. I'm wondering if maybe Kharkiv is next

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

It represents the single one that matters.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

HonorableTB posted:

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1496219943884439569?s=20&t=TRA-nSXTwWTiNFEXT7ev2Q

Lots of tanks mobilized in the Belgorod area. I'm wondering if maybe Kharkiv is next

Watching a war unfold on TikTok is SciFi horror levels bad for society.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Zelensky is calling up the reservists tonight.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

projecthalaxy posted:

so glad he's able to speak his mind whenever he likes and everyone publishes it. I'm happy about that.

Trump loves Putin. I’m not sure why anyone expected him to be more hawkish against Russia than Biden. I can’t think of a time when Trump ever stood up to the guy during his term.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

MadJackal posted:

Watching a war unfold on TikTok is SciFi horror levels bad for society.

https://twitter.com/UkrWarReport/status/1496209400184426504?s=20&t=QIzdHFeO9-7aW-ysDzxbYw

Here's an eerie video of someone recording the shelling in Ukraine. Really shows the reality of war.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Do you think his views on whom Russia represents just politely stop there?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

https://twitter.com/UkrWarReport/status/1496209400184426504?s=20&t=QIzdHFeO9-7aW-ysDzxbYw

Here's an eerie video of someone recording the shelling in Ukraine. Really shows the reality of war.

:( that looks like where my friend used to live just by the train station in Donetsk

Not that i think thats his house but its that same view out the window of the same garden fences ghe same gates etc

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

I love how the guy exclaims that the road is hosed. Truly the thing to think about there.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Someone asked what governments supported Putin earlier. Well, did anyone have a Taliban condemnation in mind? I sure as hell didn't.

https://twitter.com/Amie_FR/status/1496220430377664515?s=20&t=uHHCmEi9j5FHuo7gIB0Igg

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
It seems like they are firing randomly at populated areas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

I don't recommend watching this video if you speak Russian.

:negative: