Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just finished the final set of Hunting Ground trials on Very Hard. Here's how I did the last one, since it's quite tricky and might take you a few tries:

1. Slide down the rope and immediately override the first Clawstrider, set it to defensive.
2. Doubleshot tearblast arrows to the Tremortusk's eyes, you need both cannons to have enough ammo.
3. Popped powershots, hit the two other Clawstriders with the explosive spike thrower blast that both got them to around 25% health.
4. Drop a smokebomb here to drop aggro, pick up the Tremortusk cannon.
5. Mow down the two weakened Clawstriders, then start wailing on the overriden Clawstrider with spike throwers until it's at low health.
6. Drop another smokebomb, pick up the second cannon.
7. Mow them down until dead.

That was quite a challenge, I actually had to use my brain a little for that! And now I'm rewarded with my very first legendary wep. Gold text baby!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I've been mostly running a melee build because I like the challenge and also combos are fun and goodness I haven't even started the post 15 msq and found a purple armor in a chest just messing around that might just carry me to endgame :stare:

Though it does have a couple significant elemental weaknesses I'll probably need to make sure I keep a backup around for.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Enabling aggressive mode on mounts is hilarious. The second you get off it they immediately run to the nearest robot to gently caress it up and get itself killed.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Needed to catch salmon and the path took me to a slaughterspine. Holy poo poo was that thing cool.

Nooooo

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Enabling aggressive mode on mounts is hilarious. The second you get off it they immediately run to the nearest robot to gently caress it up and get itself killed.

Before unlocking the passive vs. aggressive mode skill, don’t they all just default to aggressive mode?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Spoiler - The AETHER quest.

Talk about the Mountain That Fell.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CobiWann posted:

Spoiler - The AETHER quest.

Talk about the Mountain That Fell.

I laughed like an idiot during that entire section. Only Aloy could go so they'll stay here as long as the indestructible collections of boulders remains in place? Cool I'm going to BLOW IT THE gently caress UP before the enemy blows it up! To make a point!!"

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I laughed like an idiot during that entire section. Only Aloy could go so they'll stay here as long as the indestructible collections of boulders remains in place? Cool I'm going to BLOW IT THE gently caress UP before the enemy blows it up! To make a point!!"

I just love that you get to immediately take the lift right back up to the stronghold you just hosed up and everyone in town is like "hey! you're the girl who just blew up our rock! good poo poo!"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nottherealaborn posted:

Before unlocking the passive vs. aggressive mode skill, don’t they all just default to aggressive mode?

No the default is defensive.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

The Postman posted:

I just love that you get to immediately take the lift right back up to the stronghold you just hosed up and everyone in town is like "hey! you're the girl who just blew up our rock! good poo poo!"

gotta respect the hustle

also it's cool how like every single side quest has an epilogue thing where you can talk to someone after a quest is done

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Man I wish they had a visual mode that was performance in gameplay and resolution in cutscenes. It switches instantly, but I can't play with that kind of lag. But when I'm just watching, give me the glory! For longer cutscenes I've been switching between the two, but it sure would be a nice QoL feature to add.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Enderzero posted:

Man I wish they had a visual mode that was performance in gameplay and resolution in cutscenes. It switches instantly, but I can't play with that kind of lag. But when I'm just watching, give me the glory! For longer cutscenes I've been switching between the two, but it sure would be a nice QoL feature to add.

I had this exact same thought with Control and I'm hoping somebody does it eventually. Resolution for exploration and fps for combat.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Baggot posted:

I had this exact same thought with Control and I'm hoping somebody does it eventually. Resolution for exploration and fps for combat.

yeah, back in the day I think it was near impossible, because switching resolution or features usually required something engine-wise to restart, but it seems like modern games have nailed the ability to update resolution on the fly to hit frame time targets, so it feels like a feature that should be proliferating.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Are Tallnecks just not nearly so much a thing compared to HZD? I'm getting close to L30 and I just realized the only one I've seen was way back early on when the map really started to open up, a whole lot of the map is still just thick clouds outside of the corridors I've made while running along between quests. I feel like I was constantly just running across them and clearing map sections by this point in the first game, just in the course of playing through normally.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They're all viewable on the map no matter what but there's only like 5? At least so far.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Are Tallnecks just not nearly so much a thing compared to HZD? I'm getting close to L30 and I just realized the only one I've seen was way back early on when the map really started to open up, a whole lot of the map is still just thick clouds outside of the corridors I've made while running along between quests. I feel like I was constantly just running across them and clearing map sections by this point in the first game, just in the course of playing through normally.

I don't know when it happened but I feel like it marked them all on my map. I can see the icons way out west where I haven't been yet.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

They're all viewable on the map no matter what but there's only like 5? At least so far.

Well, that's what got me curious, I spent a while scrolling around toggling them on and off, and I only saw the one I'd cleared. I guess I haven't made it close enough to one for it to show up with all the map cloudiness.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Captain Hygiene posted:

Well, that's what got me curious, I spent a while scrolling around toggling them on and off, and I only saw the one I'd cleared. I guess I haven't made it close enough to one for it to show up with all the map cloudiness.

Have you gotten to the third major area yet or are you still in No Man's Land? Once you get past a certain point in the MSQ the other ones all show up on the map, unless there are some secret ones even further west than the last one on mine.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tallnecks have all been fun if somewhat annoying puzzles except for the one that's clearly story locked teasing me of what's coming.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Should Aloy have a main base she works out of where she can decorate said old world base with memorabilia from the Old World?

Maybe some Tallneck action figures she sets up on some shelves next to her Miriam Technologies poster and hologram of Elizabet :thunk:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Have you gotten to the third major area yet or are you still in No Man's Land? Once you get past a certain point in the MSQ the other ones all show up on the map, unless there are some secret ones even further west than the last one on mine.

I made it all the way out to the west coast while doing main quest stuff, so I would've figured something would make them show up by now. Weird.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There are I think 7 total but one is locked behind a plot event

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Tallnecks have all been fun if somewhat annoying puzzles except for the one that's clearly story locked teasing me of what's coming.

Oh that one is so pleasing.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Did Stemmur’s quest, put up some CNY and St Paddy’s lights up, then got the dragon burner for Morlund without realising what he planned on doing with it. Boy, that sure was one hell of a trip.

I dunno, saving the world can wait, I just wanna hang out with my lovely Vegas buddies.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Beat the game. Loved it.

One of the most annoying things was scrolling with the D-pad through all my stuff. I specialized in the Trapper tree, and it was such a pain to use that wheel, especially during a frantic battle. There really needs to be a way to scroll in pause mode or something.

Story thoughts below. I didn't like it as much as the first game, but still was super into it.

The Far Zenith reveal happened too early for me. I suppose a smart person could figure it out from the fact that it was highlighted in the intro mission, but I hadn't. What I LOVED about the first game was the central mystery: how did the world get this way? I beelined the main story because I was so into unraveling the mystery. With this game, there was less of that, and I had been looking forward to it.

I also found it hilarious how terrible Aloy is at politics. She just goes straight in at everyone in authority, insulting them to their face in front of their people while asking them to give her something. And then she is shocked when they say no.

Good sequel bait! I would love it if they detected some kind of big energy thing from somewhere else on the globe and had to find a way to sail to Europe rather than have the third game set in the US again. Italy and Switzerland would be a great setting, then a trip to Greece for the finale.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 22, 2022

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This game is pretty awesome so far (I'm not that far into it, only now about to leave the starting valley even though I've been playing for like 5+ hours). I'm going to try to use melee more, since in the original I mostly just did stealth and archery. It seems like this one gives you a lot more options for close-range fighting, with the resonator stuff, combos, and warrior bow skills.

That one situation in the first town feels vaguely like some sort of anti-union propaganda, though. Like there's this guy trying to make the workers strike, but only because he is selfish and wants to enrich himself, and the virtuous workers just want to get back to work! The reasoning for giving the Oseram ownership over the camp makes sense (pretty much everyone living and working there appears to be Oseram), even if this guy only wants to do it for selfish reasons.

Enderzero posted:

Same. Resolution is fine when the camera is still and there's not a ton of motion, but is painful when you're trying to move the camera around while fighting. It makes me wonder if some people just have fundamentally different vision, because 30fps for gameplay is just completely unplayable for me. While the camera is moving it's impossible to see any detail from the environment, because you can actually see the frames changing. It's be nice if I could just switch it with a button press or something, instead of having to go into the menu.

On the upside, Performance Mode's resolutions is still fine and looks great. I think it's 1800p.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 22, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Captain Hygiene posted:

I made it all the way out to the west coast while doing main quest stuff, so I would've figured something would make them show up by now. Weird.

My best guess is you accidentally toggled them off somehow when tinkering with settings.

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
Good game but the first tutorial quest bugged out on me. Varl disappeared and I was unable to scan as requested by the quest prompt. Fortunately, reloading the check point fixed it. Still leaves me a bit paranoid for future quests.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Ytlaya posted:

Same. Resolution is fine when the camera is still and there's not a ton of motion, but is painful when you're trying to move the camera around while fighting. It makes me wonder if some people just have fundamentally different vision, because 30fps for gameplay is just completely unplayable for me. While the camera is moving it's impossible to see any detail from the environment, because you can actually see the frames changing. It's be nice if I could just switch it with a button press or something, instead of having to go into the menu.

On the upside, Performance Mode's resolutions is still fine and looks great. I think it's 1800p.

I've wondered that too. In slower games I can deal with 30fps, but some people claim 60 is not a big deal. In contrast, I upgraded from a 60hz tv to a 120hz tv recently, and I started playing Rocket League again after a 2 year break and quickly jumped up 2 ranks, which took me from the top 20% of players to top 10%, just because I can predict and follow fast motion so much better.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

My best guess is you accidentally toggled them off somehow when tinkering with settings.

Nope, I did some follow up on them and visited a couple sites finding them from an online map. One of them was there as expected, and its icon finally appeared once I could see it in the distance.

The other one was just MIA as far as I can tell, so I still haven't figured out what combination of glitch and/or missed trigger is going on :iiam:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I avoid the tallneck missions because I want to explore the map more organically, at least at first

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

That one situation in the first town feels vaguely like some sort of anti-union propaganda, though. Like there's this guy trying to make the workers strike, but only because he is selfish and wants to enrich himself, and the virtuous workers just want to get back to work! The reasoning for giving the Oseram ownership over the camp makes sense (pretty much everyone living and working there appears to be Oseram), even if this guy only wants to do it for selfish reasons.

Yeah, I was really annoyed by this at first, too. But then I found out that basically nobody in the town likes him, he didn't get voted in, he manipulated people and contracts to get advantages, and he winds up coming off more like some small-town boss in a Western that everyone is afraid of crossing. He was only pretending to run a union.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

blue squares posted:

Yeah, I was really annoyed by this at first, too. But then I found out that basically nobody in the town likes him, he didn't get voted in, he manipulated people and contracts to get advantages, and he winds up coming off more like some small-town boss in a Western that everyone is afraid of crossing. He was only pretending to run a union.

To OPs point, this still comes across as anti-union. “See, unions don’t actually care about the workers anyways, while charging the workers money and forcing businesses to pay more than they otherwise would!”

I haven’t made it very far, but I’ll be very disappointed if Aloy doesn’t become Leader of the People as they overthrow the powers that be. Pretty sure Avad would cum at even the thought of Aloy dominating him and taking his power.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm still real early in the game but does anyone have some skill tree suggestions? I have no clue what valor or weapon stamina is.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

The other one was just MIA as far as I can tell, so I still haven't figured out what combination of glitch and/or missed trigger is going on :iiam:

It not a glitch. Keep playing.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Ytlaya posted:

I got more of a railroad baron vibe from him, but I can see your view too.

Also very much enjoying the game though I'm not very far. The only real irritating things I've noticed is how easy Aloy gets snagged on terrain and the fact that her hair has solved the mystery of perpetual motion.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Am I missing a setting? I play with Y axis inverted but it doesn't look like there's a separate setting for gliding, so of the Y axis is inverted then being on foot is fine but gliding is loving horrible with everything all backwards and horrible.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Niwrad posted:

I'm still real early in the game but does anyone have some skill tree suggestions? I have no clue what valor or weapon stamina is.

Valor builds when you fight stuff and eventually you can use a Valor move to give yourself a buff of some sort. Weapon stamina constantly regenerates I think, and you can use it to shoot off weapon techniques that you buy in the skill tree. One of the things I only fully realized last night -- even though they're so hard to unlock, you only really need one Valor move since you can only equip one at a time, but you probably want at least one weapon technique for all the weapons you like to use, since they can be used pretty regularly. I faffed about a bit buying little minor boosts here and there in the Hunter and Warrior trees and I really should have just dropped the 5-6 points into the Traps tree for the fast-cast Tripcaster, or into the worthless Machine Hacking tree just so I could get the Explosive Spear techniques.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Niwrad posted:

Infiltrator is a lot of fun.

https://youtu.be/L2_GeVrdBio

Valor builds up for your Valor Surge, I use Stalker Strike for the 200% unaware damage buff and invisibility.

Weapon Stamina is for the weapons that you unlock specific skills for. Here, it'd be Braced Shot for Sharpshot, which is an explosive buff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rumbletusks suck poo poo to fight. It just showed me how loving trash tear arrows are. It'd be nice to shoot off the weapons that do 98% of my health but apparently they have billions of health. I can't imagine fighting these aggressively unfun things on higher difficulties.