Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I just started playing Spirit Island in the app and I'm getting clobbered. Doing small board, one spirit, low complexity. I won a single game with Vital Strength of the Earth and got wrecked in a few attempts each with Lightning or River Surges.
Is playing a solo spirit harder than doing two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

FulsomFrank posted:

Played a game that I picked up on sale a while ago but never opened, Coal Baron from Kiesling and Kramer.

Lads, this was good. Couldn't believe how nicely it played. Solid MWE on the lighter side but with plenty of decision space. Crux of the game is action selection on the main board with the central gimmick being that you can go where anyone else put a worker but you have to pay one more worker for the space than whatever was there previously. So things get progressively more expensive.

And then in your personal mine-shaft/board you are adding more tunnels/mine carts with one of four types of coal that you need to send an adorable elevator down and grab, each stage of the process requiring action points that you again grab from a space on the main board.

You're doing all this to fulfill contracts and there are three scoring rounds with progressively more and more things being scored based on the majorities like, who has fulfilled the most yellow coal contracts and contracts that require trains and so on. Obviously some more to it but this is the gist.

Overall, plays super quickly, lots of fun and tough decisions to make, and you're always left with a "Oh man, if only I had just ONE MORE worker I could do this..." feeling. Really impressed and surprised it's flown below the radar because frankly it does more in a little package than most other Euros do with a fifteen minute set up and hour long rule break down.

What does MWE stand for?

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

Dr. Lunchables posted:

What does MWE stand for?

Medium Weight Euro

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

canyoneer posted:

I just started playing Spirit Island in the app and I'm getting clobbered. Doing small board, one spirit, low complexity. I won a single game with Vital Strength of the Earth and got wrecked in a few attempts each with Lightning or River Surges.

Solo can be more difficult than 2-handed because of higher variability -- the initial explore has (assuming base game, I.e., no disease token) a 50% chance of building (in) a city leading to a likely unblockable ravage -- but you won't get two unblockable ravages with two spirits most likely, etc. There's more slack with two spirits plus greater synergy...River can cast Boon of Vigor and solve Lightning's Energy problems, at least for a little while.

I find River to be one of the easier spirits to play solo just because it has such good disruption tools but you could have gotten unlucky explorations. Are you pushing explorers before they have a chance to build towns? Lightning can be more difficult solo because its energy track takes so long to ramp up.

Try a two-handed game and see how things go. If you need more help, of course feel free to ask here, but boardgamegeek has a generally good user group who will help you out too in more detail than is appropriate for this board, have sample play throughs on their forums, etc. Just don't get intimidated by the people who are complaining that combining England level 6 with scenarios on the thematic maps isn't giving them enough of a challenge; most of those are bullshitters anyway.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Do we still have an active LCG/Marvel thread?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

Solo is absolutely harder than two-handed. Once you know what you're doing it's not that big of a deal but it's always going to be a little tougher going and that makes a big difference starting out.

In particular, both Lightning and River have support powers that are dramatically more powerful when used on a teammate. Try running both of them together, they're practically made for each other.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bottom Liner posted:

There's at least some activity.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Bottom Liner posted:

It's a good thread.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
MWE = Middle Weight Euro

It refers to the rules complexity/length of the game and the style of game. So typically a game that deals with resource conversion into points that plays in 2 hours maximum with little to no direct conflict.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Thank you. I’d just never heard the abbreviation before.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

canyoneer posted:

Whenever I play Spirit Island alone I always play two handed. The interplay between spirits is such a good and fun part of the game I consider doing solo a sort of challenge mode. Definitely try a River Lightning duo game. At low difficulty settings, River can neutralize their entire board by pushing explorers around and preventing builds. Lightning can nuke entire spaces of buildings and continue to do so with River feeding them energy.

A tip I throw around a lot when teaching new players is that you do not need to be afraid of blight. It's a resource. Let spaces blight if it means you can build some momentum for a bigger turn later. This is true for Lightning especially, as you'll tend to reclaim constantly because you're blasting out all your cards every turn.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

The mention of GPT-3-generated boardgame descriptions earlier made me want to generate boardgames (although my algorithm is much cruder):

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hempuli posted:

The mention of GPT-3-generated boardgame descriptions earlier made me want to generate boardgames (although my algorithm is much cruder):

I think I backed some of those on Kickstarter out of reflex

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Hempuli posted:

Boardnames is a good twitter account for this kind of thing.

https://twitter.com/boardnames/status/1495926340473831429?s=20&t=jGoUUlJYOjUF-KfDE5fjVg

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Lawlicaust posted:

Good. As a consumer I really like gamefound. Better UI, easy to pick upgrades, integrated surveys, great support.

I’d buy everything on gamefound over ks if offered the option

Quoted for absolute truth, even before taking into account Kickstarter's blockchain nonsense.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hempuli posted:

I genuinely want to play like half of those games

Viking in Burgundy is historically accurate
So is Unfair 1861-1865
Fascinated by the 1775 game written in 1876

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Thanks for the recommendation! The main thing I was interested in was definitely the names, but it was nice to see that the descriptions were often at least as amusing:

quote:

Use a one word clue that magically dispel demons and save your school!

quote:

Prove your chosen Armageddon.

quote:

Invest in infrastructures to try to figure out the minis.

quote:

Find the small traces to solve the murder of a Mediterranean empire.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Board Games: Mr. Walton will be fed to the stars!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Y'all are sleeping on this one.

https://twitter.com/boardnames/status/1484450726357217283?cxt=HHwWhsC98cKE6pkpAAAA

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Want to fight dem trains

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Just got to play Bear Raid for the first time. I'll need more plays to give a considered opinion but as a first impression I think it's really bloody good

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Any thoughts on 51st State? The big box version on Gamefound has me interested.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Any thoughts on 51st State? The big box version on Gamefound has me interested.

I really like it, and it has one of my favorite thematic rules: if you change your leader, you must expend a bullet resource. It's like of a predecessor to Imperial Settlers, but I prefer 51st State nonetheless.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My friend wants to buy me either:
Aeon's End
Robinson Crusoe
Warp's Edge

...for the purpose of me solo gaming. I love Arkham Horror LCG, Spirit Island, and 7th Continent, but I hate Mage Knight (too big of a play area, too many random rules and exceptions to those rules to learn). I like the idea of Aeon's End except for the "no shuffling" part which seems like it'd put too much of a burden on memorization. Robinson Crusoe I've never heard much about except that solo gamers rate it highly. Warp's Edge looks neat but I don't know how much longevity it has. I watched a video today and it reminds me a lot of this mobile game Deep Space D6.

Another suggestion I might toss to him is Too Many Bones, which looks like a fun time but I'm worried would be too random to scratch my strategy itch. Anyone have any opinions on these three (four)?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

LifeLynx posted:

Aeon's End
Robinson Crusoe
Warp's Edge

...for the purpose of me solo gaming. I love Arkham Horror LCG, Spirit Island, and 7th Continent, but I hate Mage Knight (too big of a play area, too many random rules and exceptions to those rules to learn). I like the idea of Aeon's End except for the "no shuffling" part which seems like it'd put too much of a burden on memorization. Robinson Crusoe I've never heard much about except that solo gamers rate it highly. Warp's Edge looks neat but I don't know how much longevity it has. I watched a video today and it reminds me a lot of this mobile game Deep Space D6.

Another suggestion I might toss to him is Too Many Bones, which looks like a fun time but I'm worried would be too random to scratch my strategy itch. Anyone have any opinions on these three (four)?

Aeon's end is a very tight deckbuilder that tends to reward small, efficient decks. Memorization is relevant but not overly cumbersome from my experience. It's less about memorizing the order of the cards that you'll get and more about discarding things next to one another that play well together, if that makes sense. Like, if you think about discard order reasonably well in the moment then you don't need to worry about remembering stuff for later (although obviously it would help if you do, it's just not really required). I've mostly played it coop with 4 players but I've played a bit of it solo and I think it has merit in either configuration if you like deckbuilders. I've played the base game and the War Eternal set, with and without some of the expansions. There's A LOT of Aeon's End, so if you like it you could have an absurd amount of gameplay if you start buying up the different sets, but the base game gives a perfectly good view of what the gameplay is like.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

For Robinson Crusoe to be anywhere near fun you need to use all 4 characters. Otherwise, you'll get bitten trying to wrestle a gorilla in your back yard, fall off the ladder trying to build a roof, take damage from the rain, lose your last banana to a die roll and suffer from hunger, get sad from your injuries, and die in the morning because you wake up sad and that damages you too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SelenicMartian posted:

die in the morning because you wake up sad and that damages you too.
I feel seen.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Can’t you just discard cards face up in Aeon’s End to make card counting take less brainpower?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

You HAVE to discard face up. Devs also said it's not meant to be a game about memorization, so if you want to check which cards are coming up to reduce the difficulty/tedium of keeping tabs, you can.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
The rules say you can look through the discard pile at any time, but not the draw deck. So technically you can get one last look at things right when you exhaust your deck, but not after that.

If you've managed to make a pretty lean deck, it's not much to keep track of. Really though, just discarding things next to one another that work as combos is enough. Sure every once in a while you won't actually draw them together, but usually it works out.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah, the draw deck thing is just something the devs said. If you're playing RAW, then you can't look at your draw pile.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Aeon's End has a decent app version that's frequently on sale if you want to give it a shot.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Hempuli posted:

quote:

Invest in infrastructures to try to figure out the minis.

Is there an AI that generates better business plans for Kickstarter?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
The "don't look at the deck" RAW for Aeon's End were meant to reduce AP, not to make it a memory game.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Most games with hidden trackable information hide the information to reduce AP

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

LifeLynx posted:

Aeon's End
Robinson Crusoe
Warp's Edge

The main issue with Too Many Bones is that it's tuned hard enough to require fairly optimal play, and fairly optimal play is boring. Every character has a huge variety of cool and exciting unique upgrades, and almost every last one of those upgrades is worse than a boring +1 to basic stat. So if you are looking for a game to play around with a variety of different builds, Too Many Bones is not that game.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You can do a lot of builds in too many bones.

A bunch of enemies in are immune to physical or break your attack dice on hit so you need to diversify builds. Just trying to stack stats is going to wipe you if one of those comes out.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

golden bubble posted:

The main issue with Too Many Bones is that it's tuned hard enough to require fairly optimal play, and fairly optimal play is boring. Every character has a huge variety of cool and exciting unique upgrades, and almost every last one of those upgrades is worse than a boring +1 to basic stat. So if you are looking for a game to play around with a variety of different builds, Too Many Bones is not that game.

We haven't found this to be true, as mentioned above. Especially with the baddies that you can't do physical to.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I enjoy Too Many Bones but I wish the field was 5x5 instead of 4x4 and health was changed around a bit. Everything can die so fast and there's not really room to maneuver around to avoid attacks or cleverly position and outplay enemies so you end up standing in the same spot just trying to kill things ASAP most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

PRADA SLUT posted:

You can do a lot of builds in too many bones.

A bunch of enemies in are immune to physical or break your attack dice on hit so you need to diversify builds. Just trying to stack stats is going to wipe you if one of those comes out.

I feel like it depends on the characters because they are not well balanced. The really good ones like Gillie have lots of options, and the poo poo ones don't.