Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah that sounds great, and considering I would have paid like $5-10 for a DLC of that size it's great that it's free. Maybe I'll buy one of the bonus banner packs to make up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I look forward to uselessly grafting limbs and extra eyes onto my poor recruits. The frontline bros will be improved by an extra arm to hold the shield while using the polearm. And you will know us by the trail of malformed peasants and daytalers in our wake...

That's a healthy update for free.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Still wish we could have a Mac or iOS port

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Pretty disappointing TBH, being so small, not really worth all that pre-hype, pre-announcement thing they did.

Normally I wouldn't complain it being free n' all, but I'm privileged.

Still nice tho.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Yea I would have liked something more after 2 years but something is better than nothing and it’s pretty clear the devs are ready to move on from the game. And fair enough; it’s been years now. The game has received more support than our wildest dreams really.

Emandesunu
May 28, 2013
The wording on the new equipment makes it sound like just new armors, no weapons. But I hope I'm wrong. The new origins sound fun as well.

QoL changes have me curious.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I like the current game balance so I hope they don’t mess it up.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I hope balance changes include making most beasts fun to fight instead of an enormous chore that I actively avoid.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I'm excited to see new events; after many hours of play I think you tend to see the certain same ones over and over, because they occur in your gameplay loop, while others (maybe they require certain backgrounds you don't take, or need to be in locations you almost never spend time in) never occur. For that reason I'd like them to also tweak the circumstances for many events.

The other relatively minor/easy fix I'd like to see is weapon re-balancing. Take some underperforming weapons and tune them up a bit. Flails are the best example here.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
^^ Yeah beasts suck, they don't drop weapons/gear like human enemies but are just as dangerous; if not more so. So dedicating your early game to beast hunts is likely doing your campaign more harm than good if you don't know what you're doing.

^ Events are cool, but sadly nothing will top the Gladiator start, squatting, butt smack motivation one... Thanks Bro!

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Anyone played the demo of "The Iron Oath"? It's very clearly inspired by Battle Brothers, with a similar overworld and "manage your mercenary company" gameplay, but the turn based combat is very different.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Dev Blog #145: The Anatomists

Living in the world of Battle Brothers is no picnic. Between nobles for whom you are nothing but a chess piece in their great game, beasts that want to eat you alive, and necromancers that want to raise your corpse once you’re dead, how does one make sense of it all? The free ‘Of Flesh and Faith’ DLC coming to Battle Brothers on March 10th introduces two very different paths that promise salvation from this mortal coil, manifested in two new origins to play your campaign with. This week we’re dissecting the first of these, the ‘flesh’ in ‘Of Flesh and Faith’, the Anatomists. Let’s look inside!

The Anatomists
Anatomists are a group of researchers whose unquenchable thirst for knowledge trumps their sense for decency and their need for social acceptance. Shunned for disturbing the peace of the dead to advance the bounds of scientific knowledge, they’ve been mistaken for necromancers more than once. Theirs is a path to become more than mere men, to conquer life with knowledge about the flesh, paved with the dissection of the fallen. With about all there is to be learned from disassembly of the human body already learned, they now look to you to provide them with new and exotic specimens. Imagine what wondrous insights the study of greenskins could yield! Oh, and a great Lindwurm, imagine what secrets lie but waiting to be discovered behind their scales!

This intellectual bunch starts with three men of modest talent, but with high starting funds and unique equipment of their own. Because they’re really not fighters, but thinkers, they can never be quite confident going into battle. However, the very first time they manage to kill a specimen of any non-human opponent in the game, they’ll dissect the corpse and create one potion unique to that type of opponent. This potion can be imbibed by any of your men to permanently mutate their body in a somewhat painful process potentially involving the violent discharge of bodily fluids in order to gain special effects. If you’re aware of The Witcher, you should have a pretty good idea of how these mutations work.

Because defeating any type of opponent for the first time grants you a potion with its very own special effect, the Anatomists have a lot of incentive to hunt down each and every type of opponent in the game – and sometimes as soon as they are able to. To aid you in this, the Anatomists also have access to four different ledgers where they make notes of any opponents already dissected. These are for beasts, greenskins, the undead, and legendary creatures – the latter allowing for potions with particularly powerful effects. Evolving your body by unnatural means is an exceptional affair, which is why it is accompanied by a bunch of new events that tell about the experience. And because a unique origin like the Anatomists should do their tainted business in style, they can also hoist an entirely new and appropriately creepy player banner for their company.

Walh Hara posted:

Anyone played the demo of "The Iron Oath"? It's very clearly inspired by Battle Brothers, with a similar overworld and "manage your mercenary company" gameplay, but the turn based combat is very different.

What is your impression of the game?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Dev Blog #146: THE OATHTAKERS

http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-146-the-oathtakers/

The free ‘Of Flesh and Faith’ DLC coming to Battle Brothers on March 10th will introduce two new origins to the game. We already looked at the Anatomists and their ambition to find salvation in knowledge about the flesh last week, so today we’ll take a closer look at the Oathtakers, who seek their salvation in faith. Let’s head on!

THE OATHTAKERS
Oathtakers are knightly warriors beholden not to liege lords, but to the ideals and teachings of their founder, the late Young Anselm. Though his own time in the world was tragically cut short, death only made him immortal as he lives on as a paragon of righteousness and virtue in the minds of his followers. His teachings provide guidance, and his skull is revered as a holy relic, a provenance of courage in the sea of chaos that is the world of Battle Brothers. To walk the path of Young Anselm is to take oaths to right the wrongs in this world, and even to sacrifice oneself for the greater good if need be. Essentially paladins, Oathtakers are also on a quest to make whole the shattered skull of their founder. All that stands in their way is a nemesis born in the schism of Young Anselm’s death, a heresy which must be found and destroyed.

This dedicated lot starts their quest with two skilled warriors and good equipment. Uniquely among all origins in the game, they also start out with a company banner right on day one, as well as a relic which replaces the sergeant’s sash. The Oathtakers origin does not have access to ambitions like other origins do, but instead has their very own system of taking oaths.

Every ten days it falls upon you to choose one from between several oaths that the company should take. This oath will then be active for the next ten days and grant you both advantages and disadvantages, called boons and burdens. For example, having pledged the Oath of Honor, your men will start every battle with confident morale but can not use any ranged weapons or throwing tools. Having pledged the Oath of Vengeance instead, your men will benefit from substantially increased attributes in battle against greenskins, but suffer penalties in battle against other factions.

Once ten days have passed and the oath is completed, you’ll gain a fixed amount of renown. You can gain additional renown by completing an objective that depends on both the oath chosen and the level of difficulty that you’re playing at. For example, with the Oath of Honor you gain additional renown if your men manage to kill opponents in one-on-one fights, without your other men interfering. There’s a total of twelve different oaths in the game, and you can choose the same oath multiple times over the course of a campaign, just not twice in a row.

Oathtakers are as fashionable as they are dedicated, so they come with their own adorned armor and helmets, and even a brand new and appropriately sacred-looking banner to hoist for your company. Even if you’re playing with another company origin, you can hire Oathtakers as a new character background to get access to their equipment and potentially strong members for your roster. And if you’re playing as Oathtakers, you’ll get to experience a whole bunch of new events along their quest to mend the shattered relic of their founder.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
If there is one thing that never gets old to me in this, it's morale bombing

Especially against raiders like this once they have leaders, almost the whole company in 200 gear without purchasing a piece just by daggering down shattered leaders at the end of these

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Love that there's always some poacher or thug who's like "I still feel good about how this is going"

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

aphid_licker posted:

Love that there's always some poacher or thug who's like "I still feel good about how this is going"

I feel like it's less "Ok, I just watched four dudes within 2 hexes of me get slaughtered, but we can pull this out!" then "Well gently caress, if I'm going to die, I'm going to take one of these guys with low ranged defense with me."

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
New DLC is out! Started with Oathtakers, initial impressions are it isn't a super strong start. You get one bro who's an OK bannerman but low-fatigue, esp with the Old trait. Oathtakers in general are expensive recruits due to their gear and have similar stats to Adventurous nobles - good MAttk and resolve, mediocre elsewhere, and super bad RDef, which isn't critical but is annoying - except they have good Initiative. Now personally I never use Initiative except on a dedicated fencer. It seems an odd choice to me, since the archetype of a paladin is a heavily armoured warrior. Still, keen to see what unique events their start brings.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Two-handed flails deal 12.5% more damage and the single-target skill ignores +20% head armor with flail mastery :getin:

No mention of map gen changes in the patch notes tho.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Where are the nerfs? I was expecting things to get harder. BB is for moms now. cool moms.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

That came out much sooner than I was expecting, it feels like they only just announced it.

edit: gently caress big nerf to throwing weapons and small nerf to handgonnes.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 11, 2022

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It's been so long since I've played I don't know what the implications of some of these changes are:

quote:

• Changed the 'Crack the Whip' skill of the 'Manhunters' origin to cost 10 Fatigue, down from 15.
  • Changed the 'Whipped' status effect to have a different sprite as it is about to run out.
  • Changed Indebted in the 'Manhunters' origin to get +10% XP gain, up from -25%, and Non-Indebted instead to get -10% XP gain. The origin didn't quite play out as intended, and this change should help to have the Indebted be more easily replacable.
  • Changed 'Manhunters' origin to have a Company Ledger item that helps keep track of the number of Indebted and Non-Indebted in the company.
  • Changed 'Head Hunter' perk to no longer lose stacks on misses.
  • Changed the bonus damage from the 'Throwing Mastery' perk against targets 2 tiles away to 30%, down from 40%.
  • Changed the 'Nine Lives' perk to grant between 11-15 hitpoints, up from 5-10, when saving a character.
  • Changed the fatigue cost of the 'Footwork' skill to 20, down from 25.
  • Changed the 'Pound' skill to ignore an additional 10% of armor on hits to the head, and an additional 10% with the 'Flail Mastery' perk.
  • Changed the 'Cascade' skill to cost 13 fatigue, down from 15.
  • Changed the 'Split' and 'Swing' skills to gain an additional +5% to hit from the 'Sword Mastery' perk.
  • Changed the 'Aimed Shot' skill to cost 20 fatigue, down from 25, and to cost 7 action points, down from 8.
  • Changed Two-Handed Wooden Flail to inflict 30-60 damage, up from 25-60.
  • Changed Two-Handed Flail to inflict 45-90 damage, up from 40-80, and the effectiveness against armor to 115%, up from 110%.
  • Changed the effectiveness against armor of the Handgonne to 90%, down from 100%.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The throwing weapons change is the big one. That’s a big nerf. Javelins are a key anti chosen/orc warrior weapon.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Ah that explains why that first round of getting pelted with throwing weaps by raiders off the top of a hill is no longer quite as annoying

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dreylad posted:

It's been so long since I've played I don't know what the implications of some of these changes are:

Archers can now move 1 hex before using Aimed Shot. That's something I guess.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Started out with the oathtakers and they seem good so far. You get two solid bros with solid equipment, though one is old already. The oaths seem to completely replace company ambitions, last ten days, and give you renown, a bonus, a penalty, and an extra condition that gives you bonus renown if you fulfill it. So for instance there was one where you get bonus XP but you don't heal injuries. The one I'm doing right now means bros never flee from fights, but get 15% less XP, and if I win four fights against larger groups of enemies I get bonus renown, which is pretty good for an early game company with only three or four guys. I think there will be a lot of fun adaptations possible with the oaths depending what you roll. Like for example I could see it being really helpful later on to take my current oath and then spend ten days hunting geists, if bros not fleeing means they won't ever break from the scream.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I started an Anatomist run last night and only got a week or so in though. You start with 3 peoples. One is a loyal fighter and seems to be the anchor, one is a decent mix of stats who became my starter archer, and one basic bro. They have good armor, basic armor, and starter armor in that order. The strange thing is that they all started with Rondel knives. I hired a few idiots to stand in front quickly and scrambled for some basic weapons. It was a decent start as the starting armor of the Anatomists reminds me of like Indiana Jones nazi villains with tiny black sunglasses or rocking the plague mask. If anything, it may be a fun RP start to being a more evil Merc Company, but the starting characters are a bit odd.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The anatomist bonuses don't seem huge, although I admittedly got sidetracked into chain dunking on brigands and only got like half a dozen of the actual boni so far lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

The anatomist bonuses don't seem huge, although I admittedly got sidetracked into chain dunking on brigands and only got like half a dozen of the actual boni so far lol

I have to imagine that the bonuses get bigger over time (though haven't started an anatomists run to see what they're like early on for comparison). I assume you'll get a better bonus for killing an orc warlord or chosen or schrat than for killing a bandit thug or a thrall.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

You don't get them for live humans, but I did get them for Wiedergänger. Biggest thing I got was an Unhold and that bonus was kinda meh.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

You don't get them for live humans, but I did get them for Wiedergänger. Biggest thing I got was an Unhold and that bonus was kinda meh.

Oh that sucks, when they said you got something for every unique enemy I thought they meant humans too, based on the anatomists being weirdos who want to dissect different people as well as monsters.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I play Oathkeepers a few times and it was fun. This free DLC got me to finally buy one of the paid ones (Beasts), so nice work, devs!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I think I'm really into Anatomists not because of their gameplay, though the couple mutators I've used have been cool, but because with my preferred settings they're pretty great at giving me the kind of scrappy starts I enjoy most.

edit: yeah, just having a couple bros with 60~ MA and decent armor adds a lot of survivability. that early backbone lets you go a bit riskier sooner, and maybe pull off some fights you probably shouldnt have been able to with X amount of bros belows a full line

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 12, 2022

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Got a hankering for BB again and started up a new game using a non-Rebuilding a Company origin for the first time. I decided on the Northern Raiders origin because who doesn't love faux vikings. And to further add some fun I have tried to move away from my standard spears & shields -> swords/flails progression by not allowing anyone to use any shields or ranged weapons. My goal is to have the entire front line equipped with 2H and then a back line with polearms and other 2 range weapons. It'll probably fall apart once I get into the late game but I'm up to day 35 right now and it's going surprisingly well.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
That's pretty much the only way I play the late game, but I will keep shields around till my guys are are 25+ in MDef. Shields really fall off when dealing with things like Chosen because almost all of their 2 handers knock them down fast. I might keep a shieldbro around if I find a decent high durability named shield but that is generally it.

That being said I tend to lean heavily on Lone Wolf or Glad starts and then cherry pick good brothers (with the tryout talents mod to maintain my sanity). Glad often gives you a good shieldbro so sometimes I'll just keep him that way too.

I've also recently just starting giving good recruits 3 stars in MAtk and MDef with one of the editor mods because I've played enough games past the third crisis to know the good brother grind is just RNG past a certain point. Finding 80A-30D bros is easy, finding 100A-50D bros is not, even with a bit of cheating. And those latter dudes loving slap. When you only have the 12 slots getting the most of each bro can smooth out a lot of the injury/armor downtime of the late game.

Also, good god find a map you like. The Blazing map gen can be such garbage now.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 15, 2022

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Having a lot of fun right now with an oathtakers start. Having two good bros at the beginning makes for a much easier transition to mid-game and it's cool to see the difference between them and your recruits narrow over time.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I'm finally at the point where I can consistently get my bros to mail + decent weapons, but I'm not sure how to proceed from here. What should I be aiming for? Scale armor? 2 handers? Being super selective about which bros I hire and try to get some knights?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

camoseven posted:

I'm finally at the point where I can consistently get my bros to mail + decent weapons, but I'm not sure how to proceed from here. What should I be aiming for? Scale armor? 2 handers? Being super selective about which bros I hire and try to get some knights?

Armor before two handers, good bros before two handers. Two handers essentially need good armor and good mdef before being used with earnestness.

You can get good armor pieces from bandit leaders, kettle hat of flat top with mail, reinforced mail hauberk for body armor. You can put armor attachments to push it even further.

Gladiator helmets are great head pieces that you can get early on. In a pinch you can knife down fallen heroes to get their armor and stick it on your heavier stam boys.

Ancient undead can give you some kit between your mail armor and the heavier armor, but it still suffers from stam penalties. The good armor pieces are on honor guard which will rip your boys apart, but if you can corner a lone one with some auxiliaries or something then it is worth considering.

Barbarian chosen can have good pieces too but once again you have the issue of your boys being ripped apart by them. It could be a good way to make room for better bros though!

I think I honestly lack imagination in the armor scaling though. I usually bully a noble house and strip armor from their footmen and that gets me geared up quickly. Small settlements with a blacksmith can also net you some cheaper pieces to get you going.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

camoseven posted:

Unless you've happened to hire an extremely good Wildman or Lumberjack who can become a safe Nimble 2-hander, you wanna get your best melee bro in to heavy armor with the Battleforged perk and then get him a decent 2-hander -- usually a greatsword. Having even one dude who's very dangerous and extremely hard for weaker enemies to harm opens up the game a lot

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
How do you know who should be nimble and who should be battleforged?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Sherbert Hoover posted:

How do you know who should be nimble and who should be battleforged?

Stamina and inventory.

If the brothers doesn't have a chance of getting high stamina to wear heavy armor then nimble is the alternative pick. Make sure the health pool is high though.

If you don't have heavy armor for a brother to wear then you might want to give them nimble to give them some more survivability. Make sure that
1) This is a bro you don't mind replacing
2) There will not be an opportunity for heavy armor any time soon.
3) The brother can make use of higher initiative (dodge build) or first strike (alpha damage) for synergizing with nimble.