Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Someone for the love of god photoshop walken in a T-pose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Father, stop calling it fuel blood when you know goddamn well it’s milk.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

uber_stoat posted:

also of note is the reference to the well known biblical fable of the young boy who turned his back on God and so was turned into a giant turd.

You kid, of course, but recall that Paul is covered in scales, and "scales" can also be a term for mineral or salt deposits. Thus, Paul is like Lot's wife, in that he turns back towards what God (Not Sol, but The Trust) told him to turn away from and gets turned into scales as punishment.

I love the quick shot of Sue giving him milk IVs as an attempted cure.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Yeah, shouldn't he have poo poo them out weeks ago? Does he clean the poo poo off and swallow them again? Are we going to get a Christopher Walken Pulp Fiction style monologs about having to keep these uncomfortable hunks of metal up his rear end?

It seems like the robot eyes are designed so that they can be stored in the stomach long term. Mother just swallows her normal ones to keep them safe. And note The Trust used those little task orbs to monitor his people, making them like eyes you can store in your tummy as well.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I don't think those are scales, it looked more like warts

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Nah, his eyes get all reptilian, and they look like reptile scales. I'm sure it's in some way connected to the Snake.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Mother is going to make a remote control death snake, right?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

frogbs posted:

Mother is going to make a remote control death snake, right?

Drone snake strikes on farmer johns pumpkins

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PeterWeller posted:

It's patently obvious that Campion and Acid Merman = Cain and Abel. Rock to the head and everything.

I'm not sure if I'm joking or serious there.

It’s probably futile to search for a specific allegory in the bible or otherwise; the conceit of the series is that all that mythological stuff ‘already happened’ at some point in Earth’s (pre)history.

Jesus died 2200 years ago, and now these goofuses are messin’ around with “the powers of God” in a new context.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It’s probably futile to search for a specific allegory in the bible or otherwise; the conceit of the series is that all that mythological stuff ‘already happened’ at some point in Earth’s (pre)history.

Jesus died 2200 years ago, and now these goofuses are messin’ around with “the powers of God” in a new context.

Yeah, I think you're right. I think the show invites such a search by being so obtuse, symbolic and weird, but there is no specific parallel that will provide some interpretive key to the narrative puzzle. I think instead the show just wants you to get close to the characters' headspace: "try to make sense of these strange echoing transmissions."

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

PeterWeller posted:

It seems like the robot eyes are designed so that they can be stored in the stomach long term. Mother just swallows her normal ones to keep them safe. And note The Trust used those little task orbs to monitor his people, making them like eyes you can store in your tummy as well.

I don't think the androids have digestive tracts so Mother being able to store eyes/orbs in her internal body pouch is not the same thing as a biological in/out system. And humans aren't eating the orbs. I assumed the eyes just took root in Viking Man's innards - weirder was Mother's new(?) ability to just summon them back out and also make them glow. Truly the miracles of (dark) magnets.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, I think you're right. I think the show invites such a search by being so obtuse, symbolic and weird, but there is no specific parallel that will provide some interpretive key to the narrative puzzle. I think instead the show just wants you to get close to the characters' headspace: "try to make sense of these strange echoing transmissions."

What makes it fun is that the giant flying snake is literally just a giant flying snake. Some of the characters are like “maybe the snake represents a sword???”, and they’re obviously dumbasses.

There actually aren’t many mysteries in the show; the only major question is the identity of Grandpa Campion, since Mother’s memories are shown to be unreliable. Of course, that’s a pretty big question, because it concerns why she and Father are even on the planet in the first place - but, now that she’s here, the plot is pretty straightforward.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Zachack posted:

I don't think the androids have digestive tracts so Mother being able to store eyes/orbs in her internal body pouch is not the same thing as a biological in/out system. And humans aren't eating the orbs. I assumed the eyes just took root in Viking Man's innards - weirder was Mother's new(?) ability to just summon them back out and also make them glow. Truly the miracles of (dark) magnets.

Yeah, I'm not being serious about the eyes being specifically designed for stomach storage. My point is more that they're obviously very durable items. I don't even think it's that strange that Mother could draw them out of Marcus. They're her eyes.

If anything, that sequence makes the show less strange. Marcus's miraculous prophet powers were just the eyes doing their thing on his body.

What makes it fun is that the giant flying snake is literally just a giant flying snake. Some of the characters are like “maybe the snake represents a sword???”, and they’re obviously dumbasses.

There actually aren’t many mysteries in the show; the only major question is the identity of Grandpa Campion, since Mother’s memories are shown to be unreliable. Of course, that’s a pretty big question, because it concerns why she and Father are even on the planet in the first place - but, now that she’s here, the plot is pretty straightforward.

Yeah, that one major question raises so many ancillary questions about motive and purpose that even though the Snake is exactly what it appears to be, you still feel invited to speculate about its symbolic meaning.

And it's hells of fun.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Re questions - this reminded me - there was a mural found in S1 (Ridley loves his murals, see opening of Prometheus) depicting the very particular sleek ship, carrying M+F plus a bunch of embryos, that got them from Earth to Kepler. Just like we saw in the show, right?

Except... the mural explicitly showed the ship, with M+F+embryos, going FROM Kepler TO Earth.

Is this anything? Can't see it being unreliable muralists.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Pumpkin snake is not an ordinary snake though. Something went to great effort to create it and androids were used to birth them thousands of years ago already. I know Chekhov's snake when I see it

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

GABA ghoul posted:

Pumpkin snake is not an ordinary snake though. Something went to great effort to create it and androids were used to birth them thousands of years ago already. I know Chekhov's snake when I see it

To be fair, Pumpkin Snake isn't even really a snake, rather some flying bio-synthetic hybrid snake-lamprey creature. But the point is none of that is mysterious, just strange, wonderfully wonderfully strange. We know exactly what it is and where it comes from. The only mysterious part is the "why?".

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Finally caught up on the last two, still loving this poo poo.

I hope somehow Father ends up as some kind of replacement for the Trust that everyone actually likes because he just wants to joke around and help everyone have a good time. I dunno it's a reach, it's just, Campion (I think it was him) mentioned how easily Father's mind could be taken out and put in another body, and I loved Father's weird little moment processing that fact and what it could be hinting towards.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Trust was a big ol’ doofus for not having any sort of backup or redundancy plan in the event of a potential revolt/uprising.

All it took was one power node in the floor being shut down and that’s all she wrote.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Gonz posted:

The Trust was a big ol’ doofus for not having any sort of backup or redundancy plan in the event of a potential revolt/uprising.

All it took was one power node in the floor being shut down and that’s all she wrote.

Excuse me, those might have been 3 separate power nodes. They just shouldn't have been right next to each other.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The Trust sucked, they couldn't even deal with Space Ragnar

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

CODChimera posted:

The Trust sucked, they couldn't even deal with Space Ragnar

Yes but only because Ragnar had the powers of dark photon eyes of the Mother in his stomach. The did the Trust dirty, it would have all worked out without the eyes

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

There are three options: 1) the Trust is a big dummy, 2) the Trust set itself up to get killed so that these silly humans would stop depending on it, or 3) the Trust set itself up to get killed so a more capable robot overlord would take charge.

These are not mutually exclusive.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I keep confusing Niamh Algar who plays Sue with Mickey Sumner in Snowpiercer who plays Till. :3: Maybe the hair cuts?

Although side by side they are very different.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

identity of Grandpa Campion

Grampion

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Campion! you are your own Grampion! *musical sting*

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Vintersorg posted:

I keep confusing Niamh Algar who plays Sue with Mickey Sumner in Snowpiercer who plays Till. :3: Maybe the hair cuts?

This whole time i've been convinced that I've seen Algar in other stuff, she seems crazy familiar, but nope. The only credit I can find that I might have seen was an unnamed role in one episode of Vikings. Weird!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Martman posted:

I hope somehow Father ends up as some kind of replacement for the Trust that everyone actually likes because he just wants to joke around and help everyone have a good time.

Mother not understanding why people might not like her continues to be hilarious. "I just went full berserk mode:mitt:"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Alhazred posted:

Mother not understanding why people might not like her continues to be hilarious. "I just went full berserk mode:mitt:"

Her whole speech about finding a new successor while basically beaming at her teenage son was hilarious. She has no idea how blinkered and unsubtle she's being and it's amazing.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

"why do you dislike me so? I only want to help!"
"aaaaaa" - *atheist, too busy scraping friend's guts off face to explain*

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Was it wrong of me to cheer when she got her eyes back? I was like, "Yes bitch - get em all, gently caress em up!!"

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Vintersorg posted:

Was it wrong of me to cheer when she got her eyes back? I was like, "Yes bitch - get em all, gently caress em up!!"

gently caress no.

mother is wonderful and even more wonderful when she can t-pose in midair and turn people into raspberry gelatin

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

This whole time i've been convinced that I've seen Algar in other stuff, she seems crazy familiar, but nope. The only credit I can find that I might have seen was an unnamed role in one episode of Vikings. Weird!

She reminds me of Mary Lynn Rajskub in certain ways.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

Vintersorg posted:

No, I immediately thought "ope, Mama's got her disco eyes back hell yeah"

I also liked her having to deal with a whiny kid and their dang video games, made me laugh

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

She was in a great movie called Censor, about "video nastys" in the uk.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There was no way they could deliver on the hype once mother got her eyes back, they should’ve cut around the assault instead of relying on dodgy cg.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
it's interesting that only certain atheists get kerploded on the hillside when mother was assaulting the trust. this also happened in the first ep where she can either control who gets sploded or some people are just "resistant".

also voting father for new trust

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
The Trust couldn’t have designed a better scenario for Mother to get her eyes back and T-pose all over him. Pretty sure he got what he wanted. Maybe his stretch goal was to warm ppl up to the pumpkin snake by turning Campion into a toad.

I love this show

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Your Gay Uncle posted:

She was in a great movie called Censor, about "video nastys" in the uk.

That must be it! I haven't seen it, but it was mentioned in some RLM vid and I squirreled it away in my mental "movies I should check out" file.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

eighty-four merc posted:

The Trust couldn’t have designed a better scenario for Mother to get her eyes back and T-pose all over him. Pretty sure he got what he wanted. Maybe his stretch goal was to warm ppl up to the pumpkin snake by turning Campion into a toad.

I love this show

:yeah:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Paul is gonna hatch out of his reptile cocoon and will be a full-on Battletoad, ready to fight all who oppose him.

The final episode of the season will feature a hoverboard obstacle course as a result of this turn of events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Only Paul's reptilian head will hatch out and the rest of the cocoon is gonna morph into a sacred dodecahedron.