Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/04/16/is-the-best-evidence-for-austerity-based-on-an-excel-spreadsheet-error/

the greatest bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Did the PhD student who caught the error actually get his PhD?

And was his thesis more than just "lol... lmao" ?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
it's like that lady who based an entire book on misreading what the word "executed" meant in a historical record and got called on it live on the air

found it

https://www.thecut.com/amp/2019/05/naomi-wolf-interview-book-error-bbc-interview.html

e: it was her misunderstanding of the term "death recorded" actually

DR FRASIER KRANG has issued a correction as of 20:23 on Feb 22, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

it's like that lady who based an entire book on misreading what the word "executed" meant in a historical record and got called on it live on the air

found it

https://www.thecut.com/amp/2019/05/naomi-wolf-interview-book-error-bbc-interview.html

No! No!!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

yeah it's naomi "oh buddy oof" wolf

to this day that loving tweet is the only way I can tell naomi wolf apart from naomi klein

https://twitter.com/markpopham/status/1186995263807864832?lang=en

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

might be my favorite tweet of all time.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
honestly though using “death recorded” to mean “we are recording the fact that there was no death” is kind of silly

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

found it

She later unironically tweeted that she had heard the covid vaccine would make you travel through time.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Isn't she the same lady who reported her children would mock her by claiming the Russians were to blame for the kids not doing their homework or not washing dishes or whatever

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

indigi posted:

honestly though using “death recorded” to mean “we are recording the fact that there was no death” is kind of silly

I think probably just flowery legalese meaning “we’re officially recording your sentence as death because that’s what the law says it should be, but then you’ll get clemency”

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

found it

forgot about this, so good. audio of the interview is a delight

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

that time Ben Shapiro went on BBC and called people libs and got yelled at

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Watergate was a setup
Nixon innocent

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

that time Ben Shapiro went on BBC and called people libs and got yelled at

Just lol at trying to insist that one of the most conservative journalists in England with a 50+ year history of being a Tory is, in fact, a leftist. "'I'm popular and no one has ever heard of you"

quote:

“OK, a couple of things ... are you [an] objective journalist or an opinion journalist?" Shapiro asked Neil.

"I'm a journalist who asks questions," Neil replied.

"You purport to be an objective journalist, BBC purports to be an objective, down the middle network,” Shapiro replied. “It obviously is not, it never has been. And you as a journalist are proceeding to call one side of the political aisle ignorant, barbaric, and sending us back to the dark ages, why don’t you just say you’re on the left?"

Neil quickly fired back. “Mr. Shapiro, if you only knew how ridiculous that statement is you wouldn’t have said it,”

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

paul_soccer12 posted:

Watergate was a setup
Nixon innocent

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I think probably just flowery legalese meaning “we’re officially recording your sentence as death because that’s what the law says it should be, but then you’ll get clemency”

yea it makes sense in context but it is a legalese thing that sounds stupid alone. Officially it means 'we have formally recorded your sentence of death, but you've been granted clemency from it so you've been recorded as guilty but won't be executed' which is a moderately common thing in a lot of legal systems there, basically proto-plea deals and all that jazz. Yea, it's easy to see how a casual glance can get that twisted, though.

Of course were I to write a book on such a deeply emotional and powerful topic I'd, personally, do more than a casual glance, but I'm not the UK's leading scientist on time travel nano-bot vaccines!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

projecthalaxy posted:

Isn't she the same lady who reported her children would mock her by claiming the Russians were to blame for the kids not doing their homework or not washing dishes or whatever

I think that was a different lunatic?

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Gloria Steinem was (is?) a CIA asset who once dated Henry Kissinger.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Echo Chamber posted:

Barbara Walters was "engaged" to Roy loving Cohn.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nixon freezing prices and wages bc he got spooked by a measly 5% inflation.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Echo Chamber posted:

lmao I knew the CIA stuff but not Kissinger

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

found it

To be totally fair I'd have assumed the same thing. What I wouldn't have done was pine for the peace and quiet of Belfast in the 70s

Milo and POTUS has issued a correction as of 03:00 on Feb 23, 2022

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

In Training posted:

Nixon freezing prices and wages bc he got spooked by a measly 5% inflation.
look, things were different then

we were still on the gold standard until

*checks notes*

Nixon took us off as a direct response to that exact measly five percent inflation lmao

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Milo and POTUS posted:

To be totally fair I'd have assumed the same thing. What I wouldn't have done was pine for the peace and quiet of Belfast in the 70s

lmfao

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Milo and POTUS posted:

lol

fyi she does the cringy doctor in her username thing because she went back to oxford to complete her phd in english lit a few years ago (that she started in the 80s)

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Hillary Clinton today cited the assassination of Robert F. Kennedy during the 1968 presidential campaign to explain why she was remaining in the race despite long odds.

"We all remember Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June in California," Clinton told the editorial board of a South Dakota newspaper. " I don't understand it," Clinton added, alluding to the calls for her to quit.

Clinton made the statement after pointing out that her husband didn't lock up the nomination until June of 1992, trying to point out that, by past history, it's not late in the campaign.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Reagan marked the end of the concept that government can do anything for any average citizen. Not just on the scale of the New Deal or Great Society, but that if you weren't already doing fine then the government was not going to help you in any way whatsoever. Mental hospitals were closed and the people in them left on the street to die. Welfare would be cut to near uselessness (accomplished under Clinton). The wealthy would not be taxed and the poor would be taxed more.

You can make more specialized arguments too, like he marked the turn from industrialization to financialization, or that his administration completely abandoned the idea of sovereign debt (and you can make the argument that he wasn't the primary driver of either), but in the end he was certainly a turn away from something that is essentially lost forever and I'd sum it up by saying that he marked the turn from a government that at least tried to be for everyone to one that was for the wealthy only, exclusively, and stopped even pretending to exist for any other purpose.

an older Ukrainian I know said Chernobyl is when soviet citizens went from truly believing the state was omnipotent (and mostly benevolent) to the state being men, failed men who were just guessing what to do

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Antonymous posted:

men, failed men who were just guessing what to do

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Hillary's Arkansas governor's mansion slaves

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

the one parkland kid trying to make his own mypillow competitor and failing miserably

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Scalia I think argued that factual innocence is not the same as legal innocence in regards to the death sentence.

i.e. just because you didn't do the crime doesn't mean you're not guilty (yes that's what he said) and if a guilty verdict arrives at a death sentence the death sentence should be carried out

edit : "Mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached."

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I swear to god this is real,

CLAIM posted:

Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia said "mere factual innocence is no reason not to carry out a death sentence properly reached."

MIXTURE

quote:

However, Justice Scalia’s words regarding that decision are often quoted out of context, leaving readers with the mistaken impression that he believed it was perfectly acceptable for our legal system to execute people whom we knew to be innocent. In the fuller context, what he was actually expressing was that once a person had been fairly convicted and sentenced in court, and had exhausted all his possible avenues of appeal, a last-minute claim of innocence was not by itself sufficient grounds for further delaying the carrying out of the sentence.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/scalia-death-penalty-quote/

guilty until proven innocent

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Antonymous posted:

I swear to god this is real,

MIXTURE

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/scalia-death-penalty-quote/

guilty until proven innocent

I can't bend my brain to fathom what distinction they are trying to make here, and how it exonerated Scalia in their eyes in any way.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
(serious genius voice) it's not about exonerating him it's about explaining the context

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

i understand the argument and he's technically correct under the most monstrous possible interpretation of the law it's just that I don't understand how anyone could want to live in a society with those ideals

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

more falafel please posted:

i understand the argument and he's technically correct under the most monstrous possible interpretation of the law it's just that I don't understand how anyone could want to live in a society with those ideals

The result is that a lot of dark skinned people will get murdered by the state. That's how.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mr. Lobe posted:

I can't bend my brain to fathom what distinction they are trying to make here, and how it exonerated Scalia in their eyes in any way.

Reminder conservatives loathe snopes and have long considered it a cornerstone of the "leftist internet"

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

gazpacho police

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

keep the laffs coming!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e9iWizfsm8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

One More Fat Nerd posted:

She later unironically tweeted that she had heard the covid vaccine would make you travel through time.

because she heard someone talking about the apple backup "time machine" lol