Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

OPAONI posted:

It's.... literally their descendants.

do you...do you know what they were called, and what their 'territory' looked like? Because if 'they're the descendants of Kievan Rus' is your big historical trump card it, uh, it proves the other guy's side actually.

Also why does the timeline stop at 1108, did something...maybe happen to the region around then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Oh poo poo are we back in the greeted as liberators stage?

This always works out

Nah, we're in the "the US isn't putting troops in Ukraine stage". We've been in this one for quite a while now.

The push to deny Russia agency and blame absolutely everything on the US is weird. The US does enough lovely things, we don't need to make poo poo up too.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

OPAONI posted:

It's.... literally their descendants.

you imbecile. you absolute loving moron

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Like everyone considers Kieran Rus to just be Russia before Moscow took over during the mongol takeover. Ukrainian as a identity is modern.

Now does that really matter? Not really, but nationalist get weird if you acknowledge a lot of groups don’t have an unbroken line and probably involve a lot of change

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

CharlestheHammer posted:

In the sense that modern Italy is basically Ancient Rome.

Rome wasn't real, maybe you missed it

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7031293877013286150

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ror posted:

Rome wasn't real, maybe you missed it

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7031293877013286150

gently caress that lady is my favorite freak. Her claiming all Roman coins we find are actually circus tokens (because you see the circuses were themed after Rome...which didn't exist...yet had a cohesive 'theme' that lasted for ages and across europe) was probably my favorite thing I've seen a dumbass claim.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sexpig by night posted:

gently caress that lady is my favorite freak. Her claiming all Roman coins we find are actually circus tokens (because you see the circuses were themed after Rome...which didn't exist...yet had a cohesive 'theme' that lasted for ages and across europe) was probably my favorite thing I've seen a dumbass claim.

The early Islamic empire used Roman coins so the commitment to the bit is pretty impressive

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CharlestheHammer posted:

The early Islamic empire used Roman coins so the commitment to the bit is pretty impressive

they just loved circuses, circuses with extremely specific, repeated, themes! The people of the Umayyad Caliphate just thought those funny faces with laurels were incredibly cool!

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
kieran rus lol

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

drat the spanish inquisition had some good classical architects too

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

moonmazed posted:

kieran rus lol

ironic, it took a horde to defeat a swarm *puffs bubble pipe dramatically*

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

moonmazed posted:

kieran rus lol

It auto corrected because it apparently recognized that as a word

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Kieran is one of the worst male names.
Let's complete the set with the Gary Rus, the Kenneth Rus and the Clancy Rus.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/tybuddhaboy/status/1495914694896406532

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tree Bucket posted:

Kieran is one of the worst male names.
Let's complete the set with the Gary Rus, the Kenneth Rus and the Clancy Rus.

my allegiance will forever stay with the Rick Rus

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Karen Rus

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Eh, its a fairly low effort troll

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/goodreddit/status/1496190191568044033?s=21

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

loving lmao. My boyfriend is a plus size gentleman who plays videogames and the thing that made me love him was that he respects me and we have things in common and we make each other laugh and we have built a lasting relationship over many years and helped each other through dark times. One Weird Trick

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

HopperUK posted:

loving lmao. My boyfriend is a plus size gentleman who plays videogames and the thing that made me love him was that he respects me and we have things in common and we make each other laugh and we have built a lasting relationship over many years and helped each other through dark times. One Weird Trick

:same:, except mine was him saying "I can roll a joint really well, wanna see?" :allears:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

HopperUK posted:

Yes but if one were to kind of condense all that into a single line,

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

Yes but if one were to kind of condense all that into a single line,

Atmosphere in "Trying to Find a Balance" posted:

Hello ma'am, would you be interested
In some sexual positions and emotional investments?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Really, really hate when people say "females" when they mean women.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

https://twitter.com/h3xenbrenner2/status/1480619404488593416

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

kazil posted:

He's not picky

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

kazil posted:

Betcha this person means “girls” though.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

kazil posted:

It's used by people that hate women.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

kazil posted:

My favorite is when they expose themselves by using "females" and "men" in the same breath.

Like, "males and females" is a red flag, "men and females" is a screaming tornado siren.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

There were massive cities in the Americas around 1000 AD, it's just then the Europeans showed up later and killed everyone and destroyed most of them.

To be unnecessarily fair to the colonizers, I think the massive great lakes civilizations collapsed without most of their population ever seeing a european. Smallpox was a hell of a thing, and germ theory didnt exist.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

https://twitter.com/WraithLaFrentz/status/1491244361321164802?t=-yTLL6cBlA6EFNT4TOgxwg&s=19

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

One More Fat Nerd posted:

To be unnecessarily fair to the colonizers, I think the massive great lakes civilizations collapsed without most of their population ever seeing a european. Smallpox was a hell of a thing, and germ theory didnt exist.
The Incan Empire was already devastated and collapsing from the pandemics before Europeans got anywhere near their capital city. Unfortunately, it's also pretty well documented how much slavery and deliberate genocide was happening in the areas with more direct contact, so it's not exactly a matter of fairness, just a matter of disease travelling a hell of a lot faster than people through unfamiliar landscapes.

It's one of those things where, like, even if everyone had been interacting with the best of intentions and nonviolence there was going to be huge population losses, but if people had been better people there'd be at least more culture preserved.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Read After Burning posted:

My favorite is when they expose themselves by using "females" and "men" in the same breath.

Like, "males and females" is a red flag, "men and females" is a screaming tornado siren.

I was going to say it has a real gross Ferengi vibe, but thankfully there's already a smilie for that :females:

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Read After Burning posted:

https://twitter.com/TheFunny_mp4/status/1495964561438093312
(As a lover of ambient and vaporwave, I feel called out by this post.)

I was at a punk/experimental music fest in Louisville. This one act was just a guy loving around with reverb tunelessly. I looked over and there was this audience member who was standing there, arms crossed, making that nose wrinkle "gently caress this is good poo poo" face, and bobbing his head as if to a beat. I've been thinking about that guy for years.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PetraCore posted:

The Incan Empire was already devastated and collapsing from the pandemics before Europeans got anywhere near their capital city. Unfortunately, it's also pretty well documented how much slavery and deliberate genocide was happening in the areas with more direct contact, so it's not exactly a matter of fairness, just a matter of disease travelling a hell of a lot faster than people through unfamiliar landscapes.

It's one of those things where, like, even if everyone had been interacting with the best of intentions and nonviolence there was going to be huge population losses, but if people had been better people there'd be at least more culture preserved.

Yeah the combination of plagues that outpaced Europeans had a death rate over 90 percent, which meant when Europeans did show up they saw the post apocalyptic mad max version of the previous societies.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Scifi pitch - Humans invent FTL but the tecnology unwittingly causes apocalyptic events in the star systems we visit, destroying the societies we're reaching out to.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Amoeba102 posted:

Scifi pitch - Humans invent FTL but the tecnology unwittingly causes apocalyptic events in the star systems we visit, destroying the societies we're reaching out to.

I've read that story. Except it also destroyed the star at the origin point, so the astronauts blew up the Earth as well.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Tunicate posted:

Yeah the combination of plagues that outpaced Europeans had a death rate over 90 percent, which meant when Europeans did show up they saw the post apocalyptic mad max version of the previous societies.
It's been a while since I took a history class that addressed this subject but I believe the plagues were actually really annoying to a lot of the conquistadors, not because the sweeping waves of death were troubling on a personal level but because most of the people they kept trying to enslave and convert kept dying. I think there were some people documented as being utterly horrified with the scale of what was happening but uh mostly the sort of people who became conquistadors were not exactly overflowing with compassion for others.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

grittyreboot posted:

I was at a punk/experimental music fest in Louisville. This one act was just a guy loving around with reverb tunelessly. I looked over and there was this audience member who was standing there, arms crossed, making that nose wrinkle "gently caress this is good poo poo" face, and bobbing his head as if to a beat. I've been thinking about that guy for years.

there was a guy at an iron maiden concert years ago who, before anyone even took the stage, would just randomly bow his head and throw up horns and just hold his arm there for like half a minute. all by himself, just striking a pose.

music (or in my guys case, ambient energy?)is all about what moves you I guess!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Let people enjoy things.

I was always impressed by those dudes at Dead shows that just danced their asses of alone, like the popular image of whirling dervishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Amoeba102 posted:

The closest thing to a physically realizable warp drive would emit massive sterilizng bursts of gamma rays when you decelerated.