Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Imagine spending your teen years beating up pretty criminals while dressed as a bird for the amusement of a billionaire bachelor and he doesn't even put you on the shortlist for his wealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does dc use a sliding timeline? It has to be weird if Bruce Wayne has gone through like four orphans in seven years. Commissioner Gordon should be putting someone on that beat post-Epstein.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

I AM GRANDO posted:

Does dc use a sliding timeline? It has to be weird if Bruce Wayne has gone through like four orphans in seven years. Commissioner Gordon should be putting someone on that beat post-Epstein.

This was one of the prominent criticisms of the way the New 42 52 compressed the timeline.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 20, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This was one of the prominent criticisms of the way the New 42 compressed the timeline.

Yeah, didn't they make it explicit that he'd only been Batman for 5 years at the very start of New 52 Batman? 4 Robins in 5 years, one of which died.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, didn't they make it explicit that he'd only been Batman for 5 years at the very start of New 52 Batman? 4 Robins in 5 years, one of which died.

And then within the first year another one did as well

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

Yes to Dick, not sure about Jason.

Also to Cass, at least once upon a time. Probably still canon?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
What’s been going with Cassandra Cain? I don’t hear about her very often

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

thetoughestbean posted:

Currently part of the cast of Batgirls.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Skwirl posted:

5 robins

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

thetoughestbean posted:

Living with Steph and Babs in Batgirls. She’s in her classic Batgirl costume, and is no longer being called Oprhan. It’s a cute little book.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

No only 4 at the start of New 52 because Steph got retconned and was reintroduced a couple of years later

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dick, Jason, Tim, Damian and who else? Stephanie Brown didn't exist at the start of New 52.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Remember when OH GOD 3 JOKERS was supposed to be something and instead turned into "oh yeah Joker probably just like abducted some mooks and made them.believe they were him and also his Killing Joke wife and kid are alive lol

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Remember when OH GOD 3 JOKERS was supposed to be something and instead turned into "oh yeah Joker probably just like abducted some mooks and made them.believe they were him and also his Killing Joke wife and kid are alive lol

No because didn't pretty much everyone ignored that book?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I didn't read that, so this is the first I've heard of it. Sounds pretty dumb, op!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lol can you imagine if they had hyped that story up for years then delivered a flat plopping stinker? Someone must have gotten fired for that Boner!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I AM GRANDO posted:

From memory around the early 2000's (I think it was maybe after Bruce Wayne: Fugitive) there was a really good story in one of the Bat books (Gotham Knights?) Which was about a social worker opening up a case into the death of Jason Todd. (This was pre-Hush and Under the Hood so Jason was dead.)

It's a really good story as the person is doing their Job, investigating why an at risk teen died in the care of a millionaire and the Bat family have to manage it without compromising their secret identities.

Also it has scenes of Jason Todd as Robin smoking cigarettes and hiding it from Batman and Cassandra Cain pretending to be a Bruce Wayne fling to avoid suspicions from a social worker.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Was the social worker Jeffrey Epstein

radlum
May 13, 2013
I’ve only read Byrne and the modern (Slott, Soule, Tamaki) She-Hulk runs. Are the other runs (like after Byrne left or Peter David’s one) any good?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

radlum posted:

I’ve only read Byrne and the modern (Slott, Soule, Tamaki) She-Hulk runs. Are the other runs (like after Byrne left or Peter David’s one) any good?

The non-Byrne issues of She-Hulk are entirely filler, mostly interesting because you'd see somebody who'd become a name much later but the stories themselves are nothing to write home about. Steve Gerber with Bryan Hitch(!) wrote a chunk and those are on Unlimited, which do include Howard the Duck if that's your thing. Simon Furman, a big Transformers writer, also did a couple and used Death's Head (yes), so the lure seemed to partially be 'come on this book and you can use your pet character.'

Bryan Hitch is also very early in his career where his stuff basically looks like Alan Davis' stuff but admittedly if I could draw like Alan Davis I would also do that.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 23, 2022

radlum
May 13, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

The non-Byrne issues of She-Hulk are entirely filler, mostly interesting because you'd see somebody who'd become a name much later but the stories themselves are nothing to write home about. Steve Gerber with Bryan Hitch(!) wrote a chunk and those are on Unlimited, which do include Howard the Duck if that's your thing. Simon Furman, a big Transformers writer, also did a couple and used Death's Head (yes), so the lure seemed to partially be 'come on this book and you can use your pet character.'

Bryan Hitch is also very early in his career where his stuff basically looks like Alan Davis' stuff but admittedly if I could draw like Alan Davis I would also do that.

Gerber and Furman are odd enough choices that I might give those issues a chance. Thanks!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Someone being a significant figure richer than Epstein hiding the death of a single orphan is the most realistic part of the death of Jason Todd.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Question IRL posted:

From memory around the early 2000's (I think it was maybe after Bruce Wayne: Fugitive) there was a really good story in one of the Bat books (Gotham Knights?) Which was about a social worker opening up a case into the death of Jason Todd. (This was pre-Hush and Under the Hood so Jason was dead.)

It's a really good story as the person is doing their Job, investigating why an at risk teen died in the care of a millionaire and the Bat family have to manage it without compromising their secret identities.

Also it has scenes of Jason Todd as Robin smoking cigarettes and hiding it from Batman and Cassandra Cain pretending to be a Bruce Wayne fling to avoid suspicions from a social worker.

If you remember the name of the story, can you post it? I'd like to check this out.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Vandar posted:

If you remember the name of the story, can you post it? I'd like to check this out.

It was a subplot across several issues, but looks like the bulk (or all?) of the story takes place in Batman: Gotham Knights #42-45. Scott Beatty's run on the book spans from issue 32 to 50, so there might be references several issues before or after.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Madkal posted:

Anyway, after that long introduction I am just wondering what the hell actually happened in Rat Queens #16. As mentioned all I can find about it was stuff that Wiebe said about why it will never be reprinted.

Funny that Soonmet mentioned the Amazon Critical Role animated series having the same tone because Vox Machina actually makes a cameo in that semi lost final issue.

But basically, as well as Hannah turning evil, the last issue has Violet about to have sex with Orc-Dave after not seeing him for months, only for something to trigger when she sees him naked, and the final pages has him chopping his head in half before the other Rat Queens while yelling "YOU THINK YOU KNOW SOMEONE!" What happened? It is a mystery because it was dropped. A theory is that Orc-Dave seen in the issue was one of the doppelgangers encountered before, and that Violet knew some detail about Orc-Dave's penis (circumcised, maybe?) that the doppelganger didn't replicate, so she immediately clued in that it wasn't him.

Evidently, the writer decided whatever was planned with the those last few issues, forget it, and reverted it so Hannah didn't turn evil and Violet didn't do that and moved on.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 27, 2022

radlum
May 13, 2013
How is the Road to No Man’s Land? I read NML years ago and enjoyed it despite its flaws and recently got the omnibus, but I never read anything before the actual event

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm sure it's probably way too early, but I have to imagine that the most recent run(s) of X-men, HOX, POX, Swords, and whatever everything else is will be collected in trades if not some giant omni in the future right?

Or perhaps more smartly, is it all on unlimited? I know that tends to be a month or so behind print, but it would probably take me at least that long to get through the backlog.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CzarChasm posted:

I'm sure it's probably way too early, but I have to imagine that the most recent run(s) of X-men, HOX, POX, Swords, and whatever everything else is will be collected in trades if not some giant omni in the future right?

Or perhaps more smartly, is it all on unlimited? I know that tends to be a month or so behind print, but it would probably take me at least that long to get through the backlog.

Not sure how far along they have but I recently red Hox/pox and they're all in there for sure

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

Everything more than 3 months old should be on unlimited.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
not sure how it's done on unlimited but for the trades, they're all collected as Dawn of X vol whatever and it's all the series together in chronological order

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It should also be noted that, outside of the X of Swords crossover, you can largely skip any of the current X books that you aren't interested in without missing much that's important to the books you like.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Thank you everyone.

I'm a super lapsed X-men reader, but I've been overhearing the stuff that's been going on lately and it's really brought my interest up. But, I also figured I'd wait until it was over to get caught up.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

Thank you everyone.

I'm a super lapsed X-men reader, but I've been overhearing the stuff that's been going on lately and it's really brought my interest up. But, I also figured I'd wait until it was over to get caught up.

It's probably gonna be a few years before the next reboot. Hickman just finished his last X book for a while though, so now's as good time as any.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

How popular was Barbara Gordon before The Killing Joke happened to her? What was the general reaction at the time to her getting shot and crippled?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

One thing to keep in mind, when Alan Moore wrote Killing Joke, he did not think it would be part of the main continuity.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Skwirl posted:

One thing to keep in mind, when Alan Moore wrote Killing Joke, he did not think it would be part of the main continuity.

I know. I'm still just curious how popular Babs was back then and what the reaction to it was.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It has Bat Mite and Ace the Bat Hound in a group photo on Batman’s desk. It kind of seems like a pre-crisis thing meant to be erased like Moore’s Superman story, even though it came out after.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don't have sales numbers or anything but she was in the Adam West show for a few seasons so she definitely would have been known to the average non-comic reader, that alone puts her above a lot of characters

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Vandar posted:

How popular was Barbara Gordon before The Killing Joke happened to her? What was the general reaction at the time to her getting shot and crippled?
I think the short answer is "not very", but also in some way "well known"? She was introduced explicitly to allow her to be introduced into the third season of the Batman TV series, and appeared semi-regularly for a few years. The TV show made her a well known character, and for decades after she would have a pretty solid out-of-comics profile simply because by default she was the second or third most popular female superhero DC had. Therefore she got Halloween costumes, Mego dolls, Underoos, appeared in coloring books, etc.

But in terms of comics, she averaged a single digit number of appearances (sometimes as few as one) per year through most of the 1970s, almost always as a secondary/tertiary back up story. They tried various things to 'revamp' her, making Barbara Gordon a member of the US Congress, and later giving her a lot of supernatural-type vampire/werewolf/magician stories to sort of differentiate her from Batman and Robin. By 1982 she had retired from being Batgirl and was mostly taking care of Comissioner Gordon, who had a stroke.

Wolfman and Perez had her specifically come out of retirement (she hadn't been Batgirl in several years) so that they could do a few pages of her and Supergirl interacting before Supergirl died. Seriously, she shows up for about four pages across twelve issues and those scenes can be categorized as "Supergirl is so great, maybe better than Superman. Why aren't I as good as her?" "Oh no, Supergirl is dead! If she can't stop this, what can I do?" and "Supergirl is still dead, and I am sad."

Immediately post-Crisis, no one seemed terribly into doing anything with Batgirl; she didn't even appear for nearly two years, and Frank Miller opted to have Post-Crisis Jim Gordon's wife be "Barbara" instead of "Thelma", and introduced Jim Jr. as their child. It initially seemed like Batgirl was getting thrown on the "retired" pile next to Supergirl, Superboy, Bat-Mite, Krypto, Ace, Comet, Streaky, Beppo, etc. etc.

And then in late 1987 she got a "Secret Origin" in Secret Origins #20: Barbara Randall wrote a story retconning it so that she was actually the daughter of Jim Gordon's abusive alcoholic brother Ron Gordon. She got sent to live with her uncle Jim after her dad was killed in a drunk driving accident, and then sort of crammed everything pre-Crisis into the story after that, including being a Congresswoman, getting turned into a snake, retiring from being Batgirl, etc.

From the editorial in the back of that issue:

quote:

Batgirl has not appeared much recently, but readers interested in seeing what next awaits Barbara Gordon should watch for the forthcoming JOKER graphic novel by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland!

Oops! She did make one more appearance prior to the Killing Joke, in a "Batgirl Special" also written by Randall, released literally a week before the Killing Joke. It reads pretty strangely now and was apparently created "so people would care about Batgirl getting crippled in The Killing Joke". It calls back to one of the later Pre-Crisis Batgirl stories where she gets shot up by an assassin named The Cormorant, is thought to have been killed, and is so shaken by the shooting that she announces that she is retiring from being Batgirl. That retirement didn't stick, nor did the next two Pre-Crisis retirements she had, but this special opens up with her ready to retire again.

But wait! The Cormorant is back, and he's revealed to be an abusive alcoholic husband, one who Batgirl suspects is behind a series of murders. But no, the murders are being committed by SLASH, a mysterious woman in a costume reminiscent of Spoiler's, who is basically The Punisher if they only tracked down and murdered rapists and abusers. Cormorant's own wife somehow figures out how to get ahold of the elusive Slash, and asks Slash to kill her abusive husband. Batgirl gets shot (again) and Cormorant is talking about how he's going to rape Batgirl when Slash comes in and kills him, but not before being severely injured herself, leading to her arrest.

Then Barbara decides she's definitely retiring from being Batgirl for good, declaring on the last page that she's finished to her childhood best friend who is reading an issue of Watchmen. None of these characters (besides Batgirl, I mean) are ever mentioned again.

Barbara become Oracle shortly after The Killing Joke, but DC doesn't try to slot anyone else into the Batgirl mantle for another decade, and Barbara Gordon doesn't get an ongoing Batgirl series until 2011.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Opopanax posted:

I don't have sales numbers or anything but she was in the Adam West show for a few seasons so she definitely would have been known to the average non-comic reader, that alone puts her above a lot of characters

The Adam West show was her first appearance, so she was popular enough in the 60s to get moved to the comics, but no idea how popular she was 20 years later.